Glazers looking to sell off a minority share & bring in a new Investor

lolok

Sorry, I haven't read the 1st 8 pages and apologies if this question was answered.

What number would it take for the Glazers to sell? 5 billion? 6 billion? Who has that amount of money?

At the end of the day, money talks. The Glazers won't sell to a low ball offer-- but if someone offers them enough, I think they'd prefer the money instead of running the club into the ground. Miss out on top 4 a few years in a row, then the value of the club takes a hit, so they may prefer to sell now, knowing that it could be a couple of years of pain before the club gets back on track.

TheGodsInRed

I'd say now is the perfect time to sell. Chelsea sold for £2.5b so United would be worth £4b+. Glaziers are getting 11m a year in dividends which is absolutely nothing in investment terms. You could make around £320 million per year investing £4b in the stock market (typical yield).
They must realise they can't keep running the club this lean any more and keep getting CL money. Football club ownership is not a business to make money out of any more due to state ownership.

Roboc7

Agree, but can see this rumbling on longer than the FDJ saga.
It’s going to take a little while but they can’t let it drag on too long. Club is in such a state that their position is only going to weaken in time.

Hal9000

Looking to sell of Minority stake just as we're hearing new about New York funds and Jim Ratcliffe publically declaring he wants a stake... Something is happening!

dpansheth

I'd say now is the perfect time to sell. Chelsea sold for £2.5b so United would be worth £4b+. Glaziers are getting 11m a year in dividends which is absolutely nothing in investment terms. You could make around £320 million per year investing £4b in the stock market (typical yield).
They must realise they can't keep running the club this lean any more and keep getting CL money. Football club ownership is not a business to make money out of any more due to state ownership.
bingo. Two things: 1) Malcom's goal was cap appreciation + a bit more cherry on top..his kids probably expect more from their meal tickets. but football is capital intensive business. & their dumbness was not able to see this when it was easier to sell the club. 2) changing macro environment, where easy money is dried up, no more sub 2% loans. so their "dividends" look tinier.

Reactions: Cheimoon

dal

£3.5 billion should do it maximum, ground needs to be basically rebuilt and we ate in dire straights.

It needs to be investment with a view to purchase before christmas, thats the only thing that makes sense but it should be in the contract.

JustCoco

Supports
Red Devils
Not getting my hopes up.
Stock price dropped so they sell minority shares - retaining control - price will go up due to selling and investment.

This is just more money grabbing from them. Any new buyer will have to pay more than necessary due to the artificial value.

RopersReturn

£3.5 billion should do it maximum, ground needs to be basically rebuilt and we ate in dire straights.

It needs to be investment with a view to purchase before christmas, thats the only thing that makes sense but it should be in the contract.
Absolutely, the figure of £3.5b would sound like a realistic offer. When you look at the cost of updating Carrington and basically levelling and rebuilding Old Trafford at the cost of around £1.5b.

Loon

:lol:
Absolutely, the figure of £3.5b would sound like a realistic offer. When you look at the cost of updating Carrington and basically levelling and rebuilding Old Trafford at the cost of around £1.5b.
The thing is the Glazers don’t care about that. That would be the new owners’ problem. The Glazers look at the current market value of the club and then want a sweet incentive on top to sell. I honestly think it could be £6b.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I think the magic number is 4bn, but I could see scope for it to be negotiated a little lower. It’s really anyone’s guess because the valuation of football clubs, and sports franchises in general, doesn’t follow the traditional income or EBIDTA valuation models typically used in valuing a business. They either use a 20-30 multiple of revenue, which is frankly ridiculous, or the market valuation model, which uses historical precedent of other sales as the benchmark. In this case Chelsea going for 2.5bn would be the bench mark. I think the Glazers would value United at a 50% premium over that, hence the 3.75-4bn number. From everything I’ve heard from the inside, the number has always been around 4bn. And that’s sterling.

I think anyone taking over would likely maintain the long term debt, and settle any shorter term credit facilities. I can see around 4.5bn being the takeover package, with 500mm-1bn remaining being used to invest in infrastructure and players. Mainly infrastructure.

I would not expect a 1bn+ new stadium either, I’d expect the FSG model of a revamp and possible expansion of OT, and I can see that costing 400-500mm. I think capacity expansion will be low down the list of priorities, I think the focus would be on improving the fan experience, a new facade, better corporate facilities, and developing the area around OT to generate new revenue streams through hospitality, events, corporate entertainment, and fan engagement. I would imagine a fair amount of tax breaks an incentives can be sought for general urban regeneration of the area. Which is badly needed.

Last edited:

AFC NimbleThumb

The thing is the Glazers don’t care about that. That would be the new owners’ problem. The Glazers look at the current market value of the club and then want a sweet incentive on top to sell. I honestly think it could be £6b.
This./

It won’t be some Abramovich case where [though forcibly] it’s all done all nicely. These guys have shown no love for the club since day 1 & if they sell it’ll be as selfish a deal as ever for them. They could care less about the stadium & Carrington whilst they’re custodians of them, they certainly won’t care about leaving £1.5 billion to do stuff to them once they go.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
6bn dollars maybe. But not Sterling. I’d bet my left nut on that. I think it’ll be more like 4bn, and that’s pushing it.

GoldanoGraham

This is a smokescreen to diffuse the coming protest - a minority share of lower classed shares doesn’t really mean much……still if there at least a possibility that they would talk to anyone about selling them that would be great.

Today has been a positive day though…..starting with Elon Mush and ending in Jim Ratcliffe….at least it’s out there and now gathering traction!

Loon

:lol:
6bn dollars maybe. But not Sterling. I’d bet my left nut on that. I think it’ll be more like 4bn, and that’s pushing it.
The club’s current worth is quoted at £3.7b. The Glazers will want a lot more than £4b.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
The club’s current worth is quoted at £3.7b. The Glazers will want a lot more than £4b.
Where on earth do you get that number from? Our current market capitalisation is 2.23bn dollars. That’s the only meaningful valuation out there. A 4bn sterling valuation is firmly into the territory of the market valuation model, not as a multiple of net income. The only quantitative data on the valuation is 2.23bn usd.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
This is a smokescreen to diffuse the coming protest - a minority share of lower classed shares doesn’t really mean much……still if there at least a possibility that they would talk to anyone about selling them that would be great.

Today has been a positive day though…..starting with Elon Mush and ending in Jim Ratcliffe….at least it’s out there and now gathering traction!
i Don’t see how it would diffuse protests tbh. I think it would only galvanise protestors to try and force a sale. A bit of hope for the fans that enough pressure might lead to a sale, and perhaps the misguided notion that pressure exerted to date has gotten us this far. The Glazers have never given a feck about fan sentiment or unrest.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
The Apollo thing isn’t happening. They’ve already disabled the twitter replies, no chance they touch it now.

patobama

The Apollo thing isn’t happening. They’ve already disabled the twitter replies, no chance they touch it now.
Anyone brave enough to comment on their LinkedIn posts? That would do more damage.