Brendan Rodgers | Rejoins Celtic on 3 year deal

Not very good. Bottled a lot of important or pressure games.
Of perhaps it was just because they weren’t good enough. Teams can lose because better teams beat them, not everything is a bottle job. The Scottish league is so poor it’s never going to be good prep for playing in Europe.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Matchday1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829303132333435363738
GroundHAAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHAH
ResultDDWWLWWLWWWWWWWWDLLWWLLWDDLLWDDLWDLWLL
Position1212435334333222222222233333333333344455

Look how long he had them comfortably in top 4 between game 6 - 37. That's stretching back from September to July. Must have averaged around 3rd position for the season. Unbelievable how they didn't sew this up long ago.
Nice visual. A great first sixteen game weeks then it all started to unravel.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
He’s a manager who needs all of his specific components working and fit to maximise his way of playing. His way of playing can bring great results and football. A very good coach with very glaring deficiencies. Unfortunately for Leicester he doesn’t seem to have improved any really. It’s very similar to his time at Liverpool. Capable of creating great footballing sides, but when adversity strikes he has no answer. His game management subs and transfers (at Liverpool at least) all left a lot to be desired.

He doesn’t know how to adapt and evolve sides and provide the necessary steel. Once he gets his players back fit I’m fairly sure they’ll be a very good side again. But these weaknesses in his coaching haven’t been addressed and I wonder if he has the introspective nature necessary to improve.

EwanI Ted

Look how long he had them comfortably in top 4 between game 6 - 37. That's stretching back from September to July. Must have averaged around 3rd position for the season. Unbelievable how they didn't sew this up long ago.
They only stayed there for so long due to the failings of others. In the last 19 games they got 23 points and were beaten 8 times. That's abysmal form. In a normal season they'd long be overtaken by another top 4 contender. In the end, it happened right at the death.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

Bit like Spurs in 05/06, in it all season then Arsenal (and lasagne) pounce on the very last day.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
If you offered Leicester a 5th place finish at the start of the season they would happily have taken it. The last few games shouldnt detract what has been a very good season for them and Rodgers - even if I think hes a bit of an insufferable prat.

Canagel

the injuries screwed him. They were doing OK yesterday until his defender messed up. With a full strength team he probably would have won

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

They might be on top right now but they're in for a bumpy ride without Ndidi this autumn.

Lee565

Got to hand it to him, two straight summers in a row he has lost big important players and yet he exceeded expectations last season and so far this season they look very strong and wouldn't write them off being right up there again battling for 3rd or 4th place.

And how many managers have you seen literally go toe to toe with a pep side and rip him apart and that was without ndidi playing or Madison starting the game.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Got to hand it to him, two straight summers in a row he has lost big important players and yet he exceeded expectations last season and so far this season they look very strong and wouldn't write them off being right up there again battling for 3rd or 4th place.

And how many managers have you seen literally go toe to toe with a pep side and rip him apart and that was without ndidi playing or Madison starting the game.
Is he doing anything new? Its the same tactics Ranieri used at Leicester or what Ole, Arteta used against City last season.

Its not like they are some paupers in the transfer marker either as they've spent on par with clubs like Arsenal. Leicester are not some underdogs punching above their weight anymore, they have been part of the upper middle class of the league for a couple of seasons now.

rotherham_red

Utd in that first half at the Etihad last season. With Lingard, Fred, McTominay and a half fit Martial might I add.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Very good manager. I underrated him just because of his Liverpool connection.

Should be in contention for our next manager (may not happen with his Liverpool history but in an ideal world he should be up there)

Champagne Football

Leicester started with a bang last season also, before running out of steam towards the final 3rd of the season. Not sure if that was down to fatigue, lack of squad depth etc but the same thing will probably happen to them again this season.

Jaxa

Losing Maguire, yeah fair enough that's a big loss but Chilwell ? Not a massive loss and can easily be replaced, plus Leicester to all their credit have a tidy scouting system in place,

Rodgers is a decent manager but it's about how you finish and not how you start and that is where he got found out last season, they fell of a cliff massively last season and let's not forget how much points they were ahead by in 3rd, they are an injury to Vardy away from being in some serious trouble.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Losing Maguire, yeah fair enough that's a big loss but Chilwell ? Not a massive loss and can easily be replaced, plus Leicester to all their credit have a tidy scouting system in place,

Rodgers is a decent manager but it's about how you finish and not how you start and that is where he got found out last season, they fell of a cliff massively last season and let's not forget how much points they were ahead by in 3rd, they are an injury to Vardy away from being in some serious trouble.
He can only work with what he has.

They pretty much lost Maddison, Perrera, Ndidi, Chilwel towards the end of season.

poleglass red

if you recall a few yrs Celtic drew 3-3 with City in champs league, that was the first game that City hadn't won in Pep's first season, they'd started the league of with 7 wins. I think a few managers took note of Rodgers approach as City dropped points in 4 of their next 5 pl games.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
He's a great fit for Leicester. Attack minded manager that can motivate a team and thrives when expectations aren't too high.

His only (obvious) flaw is that he tends to lose control of the situation as soon as real pressure builds (see his Liverpool team's failure to seal the title, or last year's failure to secure CL).

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He's back to being a genius, undoubtedly. Last game proves it.

Better not lose (ever again), though, 'cause then he'll be back to being a bit of a fraud.

poleglass red

My only critique with him, and some might even see it as a strength, is his lack of a plan b. He's so focused on his attacking brand of football, that he has no alternative when things aren't going his way. I like Rodgers, but his reluctance at times esp in europe with Celtic to try different tactics was annoying. He had a good result v City that I previously referred to, but he took some hammerings also from the like of Munich, PSG and Barca, score lines like 7-1, 7-0. Most fans would accept that a team like Celtic loses to that quality of opposition, but at least go out with a gameplan to somewhat make it competitive. I think where a lot of fans got more upset was losing home ties to the likes of Salzburg, Monchengladbach and Anderlecht, teams Celtic should be looking at beating at home. It could be argued that the top managers in Klopp and Pep only have one way to play, but they have the players to go head to head with anyone on any given day and I think both have enough subtle nuances to their tactical approaches when required.

Guy Incognito

Again, no answers against Liverpool.

An impressive start to the season perhaps but wouldn't be surprised if they fall short again. Their attack basically hinges on Vardy.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
this game is the epitome of why Brendan will never get a job at another "big 6" club again got tactics wrong and took an age to change it by which time the game was gone

AshRK

He is a good coach but not an extraordinary one like some think he is. He has his limits and I don't think he is fit to manage a big club.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Seemed to just walk into a comfortable loss. No real effort to change it and just an acceptance that it was inevitable.

A real opportunity today with that back line and he hasn’t even really had a go. Really disappointing.

GMok

Supports
ATK Mohun Bagan FC
Again, no answers against Liverpool.

An impressive start to the season perhaps but wouldn't be surprised if they fall short again. Their attack basically hinges on Vardy.
Same happened at Liverpool. Once Suarez left, he couldn't get his team score 2 goals in a match. And he has a tendency to bend over or bottle against big teams.

poleglass red

same old, same old with Rodgers. He's a very good manager, but that was easy for Liverpool. It depends what their fans want, I'd say he'll get top 6, maybe even slightly higher say 4-5th, but any aspirations for pushing for a title win, forget about it. I also thought Madison was poor, couple of nice touches here and there, but against big teams you have to impose yourself more, that criticism could be levelled at whole team and management.

Sylar

Howmany players are they missing through injuries? (I mean key players).

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
A hell of a lot, but that isn’t the issue. He has the same problems he had at Liverpool and hasn’t rectified any of his weaknesses. Leicester have been shocking from open play this season and he’s doing what he did with us after the 6-1, tweaking things around to make it look like he has a solution and hasn’t just stumbled on something and playing a way which he can’t coach. He’s best off just going balls to the walls attacking as I think with Ndidi and Vardy they have enough on either side of the pitch to challenge the top 4.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Leicesters league form in 2020 has been fairly abysmal. Lost the same amount of games as Villa and Brighton (7). Has a goal difference of +2.

Been a difficult year for Brendan.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Ricardo (who played 60 minutes for the U23s last night), Castagne (was due back for Liverpool game but had a reaction in training and was left out), Ndidi (back in full training) and Soyuncu are all starters that are currently out for us, 3 of our first choice back 4 and possibly the best DM in the league, but you wouldn't know because only Liverpool have injuries according to Sky

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ricardo (who played 60 minutes for the U23s last night), Castagne (was due back for Liverpool game but had a reaction in training and was left out), Ndidi (back in full training) and Soyuncu are all starters that are currently out for us, 3 of our first choice back 4 and possibly the best DM in the league, but you wouldn't know because only Liverpool have injuries according to Sky
This is a huge factor. Helped us pip you lot to 3rd too.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
This is a huge factor. Helped us pip you lot to 3rd too.
yes and no, the wheels came off after we got smashed by Man City and Liverpool in the same week, the players lost their confidence and it never came back.

The injuries cane after restart, had restart not happened and we could have rode the momentum of hammering Villa in the last game before shutdown I think we would have clung on to fourth

Sylar

It wasn't only sky. It seemed other places kinda went into meltdown given Liverpool were the first and only team to pick up injuries

I do think your lot get 4th without so many injuries last season even if it's falling over the line. Reckon you pick up at least a few more points

I do think Brendan makes a lot of the same issues he made at Liverpool as @Liver_bird says. I think he's a good coach when he has all players available and struggles when he has to tweak and change things and he over complicates it

Chipper

Adulterer.
Leicesters league form in 2020 has been fairly abysmal. Lost the same amount of games as Villa and Brighton (7). Has a goal difference of +2.

Been a difficult year for Brendan.
Is that for 2020 as a whole or just post lockdown? I make it that Leicester have lost 12 during the calendar year altogether. 7 would be ok.

Edit: Make that 11!