Brian Kidd retires from football

manc exile

Supports
City
A Manchester Legend
player with us for seven years, winning the European Cup (thats the champions league for all you young uns)
youth team coach for 3 years bringing through the class of 92
assistant manager for 7 years when we won 4 league titles, 2 fa cups and a league cup

I know he fell out with SAF.

I know he also played for the other lot across the city for 3 years and was assistant manager for all their recent success 5 league titles, 2 fa cups, 6 league cups, but thats what makes him a Manchester legend not just a Manchester united legend.

Enjoy your retirement Kiddo

RUCK4444

Yeah respect Kiddo. Never sat right seeing him sat in the City dugout, but always respected him.

Enjoy retirement.

It felt like he was in the dugout at City just to piss us off. I wonder whether he did anything more than Mike Phelan for us :houllier:

nowhere near old enough to have seen him play - for me Brian Kidd will be defined by his celebration against Sheff Wed.

im sure he will enjoy his retirement.

Brophs

The One and Only
Seems weird for a 23 year old who does weekends in Carphone Warehouse to retire from football.

RUCK4444

Yeah respect Kiddo. Never sat right seeing him sat in the City dugout, but always respected him.

Played and coached some unbelievable players in his time. Enjoy retirement.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
A few months ago I wondered if he'd come back here to join our coaching staff, guess we know the answer to that now

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Amazing career - an integral part to some of the greatest teams to grace the Premier League, plus not a bad playing career either.

Didn't he have cancer not too long ago either? Enjoy whatever comes next, and may your pitch invading celebrations live long in memories.

Oranges038

Not very many people get a near 60 year career in football with nearly all of it at top level clubs. If he does retire he deserves it.

Is Pep now going to get Steve McLaren as his replacement? Natural order of things if he wants to win a treble.

decorativeed

Posted this in another Kidd thread a while back:

The Massives are welcome to him.
I met him when City brought their Christmas party to my work. All the office staff plus their squad at the time, including Tevez! I was't enjoying it much, as I had to great them all, but Brian Kidd said hello to me before I had chance to say anything to him. He then stood and had a chat with me for 5 minutes about the building. He seemed a lovely guy to be honest. Hard to begrudge him the career he's had.

Ironically, the only nicer ex-United player of his vintage I've met is your namesake, Martin Buchan. I know City fans a slightly less fond of him, though!

Manc legend Kiddo.

Great player, European Champion. Great legacy off the field at United doing work with the youth teams and Fergie's Assistant when we finally won the league again after 26 years.

Popular player for City too and been part of the coaching set up during the most successful time in the club's history.

He had a tough few years in the late 90s when his move into Management failed and then he successfully battled Cancer.

What a life he's had in football, having a huge impact on his home town.

All round good bloke too.

Grande

It felt like he was in the dugout at City just to piss us off. I wonder whether he did anything more than Mike Phelan for us :houllier:

nowhere near old enough to have seen him play - for me Brian Kidd will be defined by his celebration against Sheff Wed.

im sure he will enjoy his retirement.
I think it’s important that he played for United and City in an era where it was more of a normal thing to do, and rivalryy was more of a friendly banter thing. Dennis Law did the same, and the first United legends Billy Meredith, Sandy Turnbull and Ernest Magnall all switched between United and City. For him, I imagine this ‘can’t play for both clubs’ is some drummed up invention of the youth of today sort of thing.

Red Royal

Just dont understand hiw you can swotch from United to City. Same for Mark Hughes.
Tevez I kind of understand as he is Argentinian and no real affinity to Manchester.

So, wish Kidd health but not going to join all the wellwishers for his retirement.

Tiber

He had an incredible career at both United and City as both a player and coach. How often has that happened?

I think it’s important that he played for United and City in an era where it was more of a normal thing to do, and rivalryy was more of a friendly banter thing. Dennis Law did the same, and the first United legends Billy Meredith, Sandy Turnbull and Ernest Magnall all switched between United and City. For him, I imagine this ‘can’t play for both clubs’ is some drummed up invention of the youth of today sort of thing.
I find it a bit bizarre - and think a lot of this is coming from City’s insecurities. Like that alleged clause for a youth player, they his new club can’t sell him to United, or there’s a financial penalty etc.

ive no real issue with United players going to city. It makes geographical sense. Schmeichal, Cole, Law, Lidd, Busby etc etc.

there doesn’t seem to be an issue in any other country. Lots of players play for both Milan clubs as an example.

clearly you should be respectful, and understanding when moving - the exact opposite of Tevez from both club and player.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
When the news broke I just had a sneaky feeling that he might be coming to Palace as part of Vieira’s coaching team, am sure they worked closely at City. Would make me feel a lot better about Vieira’s appointment if he did.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I once clocked him in our queue to collect boarding passes for a trip to the Algarve in the mid-90s. Naturally picked my United backpack off our luggage trolley and hoisted it onto my back. Not sure what I was expecting. "Hey kid, sweet rucksack. Here's a free season ticket" wouldn't have gone amiss.

Bertie 2 Hats

Let's not forget that 'K-I.. K-I-D... K-I-D-O.. KIDDO'.. was another Busby Babe who came through our famous youth system.. :)

decorativeed

Just dont understand hiw you can swotch from United to City. Same for Mark Hughes.
Tevez I kind of understand as he is Argentinian and no real affinity to Manchester.

So, wish Kidd health but not going to join all the wellwishers for his retirement.
The Caf summed up in the space of 60 seconds.

prateik

He retired as a player before I was born.. but I've heard he was better than Eusebio..

Dont care if he was involved with City.. doesnt matter.

Hope he enjoys his retirement.

copen1945

It will be interesting to note how he is replaced. If a nameless technocrat comes in, then Guardiola would be around for a long while, beyond his current contract. If some one significant with little link to Guarduola is appointed, then City is protecting itself against the possibility that an interim coach might be needed, as in Holland for Chelsea and Ferguson for Everton.