Bruno and Pogba: Beginning of a new era

Saccharine

Pogba thrives when he feels that players around him are at the same level. You can see that he trusts Bruno. Long may it continue, hopefully with a Matic replacement coming in.

Reactions: Fortitude

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
If we can get Pogba wrapped up in another contract we’re sorted for a few years.

They’ll continue developing a partnership and it could turn into something very special.

Got to get Pogba signed up though now otherwise all this excitement could be for nothing.

Matić looks like a new player with PP and Bruno alongside him.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Ole has to get credit for this.

His willingness to use a more attacking-minded formation with a double pivot of attacking players -- instead of the double pivot of defensive/holding players is what has allowed this partnership to develop.

Plus the ability to keep players motivated and happy. There was a glint and a smile in Pogba's eyes that was absent for a long time yesterday -- nevermind having players like a Martial pressing or tracking back.
Using a system to field your best and most expensive players isn’t exactly rocket science either though and the word on the street for ages was that Bruno would only be bought to replace Pogba if he was leaving. Pogbas injury and the fans revolt just forced the clubs hand. I’m not complaining at all, lots of times just throwing big name players into a lineup doesn’t guarantee you chemistry. I’m really glad it’s working out for us. I would also argue we need even more creativity in the squad. Havertz would be the perfect signing for attacking midfield and let us always have at least one very creative midfielder available even in an injury crisis but we won’t get him. I think if you really want to be successful when potentially generational players like that come on the market you need to just step in and do the deal and take it easier the following summer.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Pogba thrives when he feels that players around him are at the same level. You can see that he trusts Bruno. Long may it continue, hopefully with a Matic replacement coming in.
Well. Twice Pogba put Bruno on position to shoot. One hit the post, and the other hit the net. It's much easier to work with a player that can appreciate your effort.

RUCK4444

Have posted for ages that signing Pogba up to a renewal is the most important business we can do, arguably more important than signing Sancho... the loss of the former would imo outweigh the benefit of the latter.

So obvious to anybody following Pogba that his game would improve massively when playing in a functional starting 11 with other class players such as Bruno.

You cannot replace Pogba, especially not if we are penny pinching to try and get a deal for Sancho, the linkup with Bruno only serves to underline the importance that we keep him. I hope Ed is working on his renewal as a priority.

davidmichael

They’ve been excellent in the short time they’ve played and trained together, with a little more time (say the start of next season) I honestly don’t think there’s a better midfield pairing in world football as the weaknesses they do have individually are offset by the other.

My only concern is burning Matic out and I think Matic being so good since the restart is due to the lockdown enforced break, I don’t believe Matic would last an entire season at the same current level so a replacement/understudy is needed so Matic can slowly be phased out but kept around for experience and the understudy to learn from as well as being coached by Carrick too.

Roane

Always felt Pogba was quality but needed quality around him. Let's be honest lingard and Pereira weren't it.

Still think with both pogba and Bruno they need movement in front of them as they can pick a pass but often no one there making a run etc

El Zoido

Thanks for this. You gave me a new app to use. Been looking for a new one and this one is perfect.
I’ve been using it for years, it’s the best football scores app there is imo. I couldn’t recommend it enough.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Pogba and Bruno sitting in a tree,
O-W-N-I-N-G,
First comes Paul,
Then comes Fernandes,
Then comes a trophy in the trophy cabinet.

Perfect-I-S-H.
My eyes...

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It's important to note how one enables the other to run away from the ball in complete assurance someone equally capable has taken over the reins - this is exactly how top midfielders, and top teams operate. It enables everyone ahead of the ball to be more confident and certain in the runs they make, and it also forces the opposition to track runners and fear the release of the ball, which in turn gives them a conundrum to determine whether they go to the talented man on the ball, thus abandoning their position and living a potential breach, or track runners, dead certain they can't get to the man on the ball in time.

You put two players together in midfield who can pass and move in such an effortless fashion and the possibilities they carve out will drive the opposition to despair. City have been doing this with De Bruyne and Silva for a long time now, but it's no different to a: Xaviesta or Modric & Kroos. If you can add a consistent third man, such as Busquets, Fernandinho (a couple of years back) or a Pirlo, the midfield becomes an absolute headache for the opposition to contend with as angles are worked over and over again and none of the midfielders are there to be challenged directly, so comfortably do they relay the ball amongst each other.

Further to this, you add dangerous offensive flanks and if you're really lucky, top quality overlapping full-backs, and you have a team that can dominate the majority of the matches they play and always be a serious threat in the big games, too.

We're some way along that path with what we have out there now. If only Matic were younger, or able to maintain his current level over a grueling season.

It shouldn't be a surprise that Fernandes has enabled Pogba to express himself and play in a manner that doesn't mean he has to be Roy of the Rovers to have a strong and commanding presence out there. Moreover, with the two of them in tandem, they are both getting to pick and choose there runs and passes and as should be noted, are having no need to force the play, as everything opens up organically as it should do (noted in the first two paragraphs) when the opposition don't know whether to stick or twist/ come to the man on the ball or run away from him in anticipation of his next action.

A triangulated heat map of how those two are dragging swathes of opposing players all over the pitch at the moment would be a thing of beauty to behold. Shaw is loving the newfound space he gets to run into and our forwards are benefiting from the efforts the opposition have to condense the pitch as there are now constant channels for them to run into as the befuddlement goes into overdrive.

We're going great guns and look like a top 4 side at the very least. The dynamic relies on these two staying fit, however, and also has Matic (playing how he is) as another key component in us taking command and really looking to not just win games, but also being able to put teams to the sword by multiple goal margins.

The real concern here is the drop off in quality of our other offensive players (sans Igalho) when what fielded last night is broken up. The hope is they can stay fit and we really get to see them grow as a unit, one which the majority of the league has every reason to respect.

TsuWave

One weird thing I noticed is that people are OK with Bruno giving the ball away. It’s usually justified under “he’s trying things” etc, but with Pogba people want him to “keep it simple and tidy”. It strikes me as weird because out of the two, for me, Pogba has better vision and is better on the ball despite being able to also contribute defensively

It’s great that they are developing an understanding and that it’s working for us. It’s good to have good players all over.

Needham

They look good together on the pitch but the question is do they look good together on paper.

OT1214

The only issue that I see in this partnership is less willingness from Pogba to shoot when he has the opportunity. He looks to set up Bruno or others every time. He is not the default set piece taker either. Hope he takes the initiative and starts scoring soon.

PaulScholes99

Tbh first i thought a fit Pogba will become a luxury problem for us. I thought it will not be balanced enough with Pogba+Bruno in midfield. But i think our fullbacks are the solution and the reason why we still look quite balanced with both on the pitch. Since i am registered in this forum people are complaining about our fullbacks inability to attack and this includes also me. At times it was incredible frustrating. We had no creativity and were just boring to watch.

But right now i am happy with our team. Pogba and Bruno give the creativity and meanwhile Shaw is a good defending fullback and of course Wan-Bissaka is incredible. We are right now the opposite of Liverpool. While they have two offensive fullbacks creating their chances, their midfield works and works to protect the defence and the offensive fullbacks. With us our fullbacks protect (but i have to mention AWB is improving a lot offensive and on his way to become a phenomenal player) and give the stability while our midfield will never protect the defence as Liverpools does.

I think both ways can be successful and i am happy that it looks like we have found our way forward. With these two guys in midfield watching United is weird because it is actually fun.

Reactions: roonster09

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Must feel pretty good for Pogba, who is on another level of Football IQ to finally have a partner like Bruno.
After years of playing with Perreira, Lingard and Fellaini.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The signs are definitely promising. I do have some slight defensive concerns about it in the bigger games. I don’t think that is necessarily a personnel issue, but at least a structural one. I’d like to see Bruno start 10/15 yards further back in a double 8 with Pogba rather than as a 10.

My concern with Pogba defensively is not one of attitude or effort, I’ve said before that I just don’t think he’s particularly good at it. Every time I see him chasing after an opponent, I expect him to give away a foul. He isn’t a clean tackler at all. In some games, a proper 433 would be better for us.

theklr

If this form continues and we pick up at least CL and maybe FA or EL, I actually think he will sign a new long-term contract, probavly with a gentlemens agreement he can leave if RM comes with a good offer.

I think he can see the potential this team has , Id say that with Sancho coming we’d be one of the dark horses for getting far into CL next year. And I think he will cherish the opportunity to be a talisman and leader for the «youngsters» on the journey.

Highfather_24

The signs are definitely promising. I do have some slight defensive concerns about it in the bigger games. I don’t think that is necessarily a personnel issue, but at least a structural one. I’d like to see Bruno start 10/15 yards further back in a double 8 with Pogba rather than as a 10.

My concern with Pogba defensively is not one of attitude or effort, I’ve said before that I just don’t think he’s particularly good at it. Every time I see him chasing after an opponent, I expect him to give away a foul. He isn’t a clean tackler at all. In some games, a proper 433 would be better for us.
Like in most big games, I expect Ole to go 5 at back. That mitigates the need of having 2 defensive midfielders sitting.

Saccharine

It should also remind us that Pogba is the not the type of player to elevate the team by himself. When he played for Juve he was surrounded by Vidal, Marchisio and Pirlo who gave him a platform to shine..
He is a brilliant cog in a well-functioning machine but not the main engine.

Strelok

One weird thing I noticed is that people are OK with Bruno giving the ball away. It’s usually justified under “he’s trying things” etc, but with Pogba people want him to “keep it simple and tidy”. It strikes me as weird because out of the two, for me, Pogba has better vision and is better on the ball despite being able to also contribute defensively

It’s great that they are developing an understanding and that it’s working for us. It’s good to have good players all over.
Because it's actually different I think.

Bruno tries things but he doesn't overcomplicate or do them for the sake of showing off his skills. He tries things to score goals. So when it doesn't work no one would have a problem.

Pogba sometime overcomplicates or shows off a bit and loses the ball. That's when people would have a problem with. If he loses the ball trying to make things no one would.

Another beautiful thing with Bruno is he plays actually pretty simple and safe. You'd never see him lose the ball or play a risky pass unnecessary. I don't know how but I've noticed most of the time when he risks a pass and loses possession we're in no danger of being countered and usually would take the ball back pretty soon. Maybe just pure luck or the team has trained for those situations, who knows.

romufc

Because it's actually different I think.

Bruno tries things but he doesn't overcomplicate or do them for the sake of showing off his skills. He tries things to score goals. So when it doesn't work no one would have a problem.

Pogba sometime overcomplicates or shows off a bit and loses the ball. That's when people would have a problem with. If he loses the ball trying to make things no one would.

Another beautiful thing with Bruno is he plays actually pretty simple and safe. You'd never see him lose the ball or play a risky pass unnecessary. I don't know how but I've noticed most of the time when he risks a pass and loses possession we're in no danger of being countered and usually would take the ball back pretty soon. Maybe just pure luck or the team has trained for those situations, who knows.
It is also the position of the pitch he loses the ball. Bruno doesnt lose the ball at the half way line. You will see he tries to make passes to feet when he is by the half way line. When he is in the final third, he loses the ball trying to make a pass rather than being caught holding the ball for too long.

THis was the criticism towards Pogba before, he used to lose the ball in dangerous areas.

Since hes been back, he has been much better.

Strelok

It is also the position of the pitch he loses the ball. Bruno doesnt lose the ball at the half way line. You will see he tries to make passes to feet when he is by the half way line. When he is in the final third, he loses the ball trying to make a pass rather than being caught holding the ball for too long.

THis was the criticism towards Pogba before, he used to lose the ball in dangerous areas.

Since hes been back, he has been much better.
Agreed.

Pogba in the last matches has played pretty simple and tidy. Quite a surprise tbh.

RooneyLegend

We have the best midfield in the world. Imperative that Pog signs and we can get someone that alternates with Matic.

E-mal

The only issue that I see in this partnership is less willingness from Pogba to shoot when he has the opportunity. He looks to set up Bruno or others every time. He is not the default set piece taker either. Hope he takes the initiative and starts scoring soon.
I think he is an intelligent and seldom takes wayward shots, he had rather setup someone in a better position. When it falls to him in a good position, he will shoot and score.

Untd55

Matic, Pogba, and Fernandes are a quality midfield. I think people are underestimating Matic's contribution, and how much better he is than McTominay and Fred.

Matic returning to the first team has coincided with our best defensive record and the turn around from our awful half-season. Of course, Fernandes has been a major part of this also, as it has helped us keep the ball in the opposition half and has helped with pinning them back, but our defence would be far more exposed like earlier in the season. I have no doubt we would have conceded more goals and have less clean sheets during that period without him.

He made us far more defensively solid, which has led to us only conceding in four games out of eleven (seven clean sheets). Before his return, we conceded in seventeen of nineteen games. That was a major issue.

With Pogba and Fernandes in the team, we can pin teams back in their own half, which allows us to also take advantage of Matic's passing ability. The opposition has too many players to mark out; it is a massive advantage having three quality passers of the ball. Any of them can stretch the play.

DickDastardly

Could it be possible to change to a 4-4-2 with them?

Copy paste the Keano - Scholes pairing with Becks and Giggs.

We just need to find Giggs and Beckham.
Sancho could be a Giggsy....

We have the 4 up front to copy the Cole-Yorke-Ole-Teddy in Martial-Rashford-Ighalo-Greenwood....

Or am I just too old? Is 4-4-2 dead actually? :)

AneRu

I think this is why it is imperative for us to sign a proper DM to deputize, compete with and eventually replace Matic. When you have Pogba and Bruno in midfield creating for a world class front three that scores goals for fun I don't think it really matters whether you are playing City or Sheffield, of course you apply more conservative tactics but that team is good enough to go toe to toe with the best in the league in my opinion.

In my view if we get Sancho and Martial/Rashford don't regress every team we play will have their work cut out to shut us out only a Guardiola team would be confident enough to go gung ho against us.

Nikelesh Reddy

It's time to feel smug and bullish. Best midfield combo in the League, and maybe in the world. Any team has better?

Hopefully we're able to see them together for at least another 3 years.
I think that the club needs to be very aggressive in securing Pogbas future this summer.Huge transfer deals may not take place this summer and players would probably want financial security by signing good contracts with the clubs that they are playing for.The club needs to entice a Pogba with a huge deal to get him tied up for the next 4-5 years..,.Martial,Rashford,Mason,Bruno will all be around for a while....Now it’s time for the club to secure Pogbas future..,,

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
It's been a while since we've had a truly top draw midfield. Our last one was Scholes-Carrick which feels like ages ago.

Matic in there helps to balance things as well. These 3 are going to be important for us.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I think that the club needs to be very aggressive in securing Pogbas future this summer.Huge transfer deals may not take place this summer and players would probably want financial security by signing good contracts with the clubs that they are playing for.The club needs to entice a Pogba with a huge deal to get him tied up for the next 4-5 years..,.Martial,Rashford,Mason,Bruno will all be around for a while....Now it’s time for the club to secure Pogbas future..,,
I think he's just hungry for Club level success. He's a world class player in a team struggling to get Top 4. If I were him (taking off my red-tinted glasses), I'd wait to see how ambitious the Club with next transfers. If the Club start penny pinching, he'd say au revoir, and I won't blame him even a bit.