Bruno Fernandes DE SOUZA (from Brazil and not Bruno Miguel Borges Fernandes) - should he be allowed to football?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

An interesting story about Bruno Fernandes de Souza who had the mother of his son killed. Now he wants to return to football. Should his past be forgotten or should he be not allowed to play in such a role?

redDNA

Supports
Enyimba FC of Aba
Are you a Journo?
What a click bait,I thought that the title was a metaphor :nono:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

An interesting story about Bruno Fernandes de Souza who had the mother of his son killed. Now he wants to return to football. Should his past be forgotten or should he be not allowed to play in such a role?
Generally speaking, I have a problem with any campaign for someone to not be allowed to play football again. I felt this way with the Ched Evans story too. If you are free to work in Tesco, you should be free to work for Wycombe Wanderers. Whether they will have you is a different matter of course. But some unwritten ‘you are free but not free to earn a lot of money’ doesn’t sit well with me. If people want to have a conversation about tougher sentencing then fair enough, but once the sentence is served, it is what it is.

I think clubs themselves though absolutely have a right to exercise their discretion to employ a player though, and if he can’t find a club to take him, then tough shit. But if a club wants to, what can anyone do about that?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Generally speaking, I have a problem with any campaign for someone to not be allowed to play football again. I felt this way with the Ched Evans story too. If you are free to work in Tesco, you should be free to work for Wycombe Wanderers. Whether they will have you is a different matter of course. But some unwritten ‘you are free but not free to earn a lot of money’ doesn’t sit well with me. If people want to have a conversation about tougher sentencing then fair enough, but once the sentence is served, it is what it is.

I think clubs themselves though absolutely have a right to exercise their discretion to employ a player though, and if he can’t find a club to take him, then tough shit. But if a club wants to, what can anyone do about that?
The problem is that there is much more attention on football players than cashiers at Tesco's. Football as a career is seen as something that very few can do and a career that is a reward (much like being a singer or a famous actor). Clubs would sign these players if the public perception was different but people don't want to see murderers and rapists idolised. If Adam Johnson wants to return to football he will face a similar and probably much tougher challenge.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

I feel the same way. The lines are only blurred because we choose to idolise people who spend their afternoons kicking a goat's bladder around a field of grass. It's up to the discretion of any club what they do, and perhaps that should be an invitation from us all not to put too much faith into sportspeople unless they earn it in other ways.

Last edited:

EngimaMK

The problem is that there is much more attention on football players than cashiers at Tesco's. Football as a career is seen as something that very few can do and a career that is a reward (much like being a singer or a famous actor). Clubs would sign these players if the public perception was different but people don't want to see murderers and rapists idolised. If Adam Johnson wants to return to football he will face a similar and probably much tougher challenge.
Not all footballers/songers/actors. At what level of fame do you draw the line?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It’s only seen as some sort of privilege or reward because they are highly paid. But it isn’t a lottery. It is highly skilled work just like neurosurgery is.

Perhaps the problem is that they are ‘idolised’ in the first place. They are professional football players, no more or less. It’s a job, and a well-paid and highly skilled one, but still a job.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I feel the same way. The lines are only blurred because we choose to idolise people who spend their afternoons kicking a goat's bladder around a field of grass. It's up to the discretion of any club what they do, and perhaps that should be an invitation from us all not to put too much faith into sportspeople unless they earn it in other ways.
Indeed. Why on earth would anyone be a ‘role model’ to kids for being good at football?!

shahzy

Bro, your post would be taken a lot more seriously if you didnt clickbait. Its just annoying

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Society shouldn’t be allowed to go beyond and demand extra sentencing after the fact. The justice system might be flawed, but it gave out appropriate sentencing and any caveats about life outside or potential restrictions should have been included in that sentence (ie not working with children upon release)

If he has been deemed to have served his sentence in full, there should be no further restrictions on his life that haven’t been given at sentencing.

If he is still valuable to a team and they want to sign him, then that should be that.

Our anger and outrage means we automatically feel like permanent justice is the solution, but rehabilitation means people have to go back to a life and be allowed to earn money after their sentence has been served.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Firstly, I object to the thread title. If you could change it, horsechoker, that would be much appreciated.

Regarding the issue itself I think football is his trade and it's unfair, after time served for the crime, to deny him that.

I wouldn't want to see him play for a side I support. He'll always be despised and rejected , and I don't see him being able to make a good career in such a publicly scrutinized field as football, but still I don't think it's fair to officially ban him.

DavelinaJolie

Regardless of whether you think footballer should be held up as role models, they often are. Many kids want to emulate them and look up to them. They have an audience and reach that someone working a "normal" job doesn't. You don't see a red cafe for your local supermarket with threads about the new shelf-stacking signing do you? We're directly contributing towards their celebrity and stature.

I like to think I'm fairly liberal in mindset, and I think people deserve a second chance in general. That said, seeing Tyreek Hill play in the Superbowl turns my stomach a bit.

paulscholes18

Done the crime done the time. I know there’s differences but both Lee Hughes and Luke McCormick both got back into football after killing people through drink driving. Bruno May have a harder time finding a club due to his age and crime

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I also don't like the way he takes his penalties
....for his crimes

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Agree.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Done the crime done the time. I know there’s differences but both Lee Hughes and Luke McCormick both got back into football after killing people through drink driving. Bruno May have a harder time finding a club due to his age and crime
Sentenced to 22 years, has done less than 7 for ordering a murder, hiding the body and kidnapping.
What happened, happened. I made a mistake, a serious one, but mistakes happens in life
He made a mistake guys. The calculated murder that he ordered was just a mistake. Let him move on with this life...

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Sentenced to 22 years, has done less than 7 for ordering a murder, hiding the body and kidnapping.

He made a mistake guys. The calculated murder that he ordered was just a mistake. Let him move on with this life...
Served longer than Luke McCormick who killed two brothers who were 8 and 10 years old while he was travelling over 100mph and twice the legal limit.

Four (4) years was all he served.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Served longer than Luke McCormick who killed two brothers who were 8 and 10 years old while he was travelling over 100mph and twice the legal limit.

Four (4) years was all he served.
I think that planning a murder and going through with it is a bit more serious. A huge portion of the population have driven under the influence of alcohol. You have to be really sinister to plan a murder and go through with it. Not even a crime of passion and grabbing the thing next to you or pushing someone down the stairs in a fit of rage but to actually calculate it is another level of crime. You have a maximum sentence for crime like that.

Not that I disagree you that drunk driving killings shouldn't be punished more severely. They absolutely should but that has absolutely nothing to with this case. Different countries, different crimes, different motives.

Charles Miller

How is it possible that he got released so soon?
With the end of the military dictatorship in the 80s, there was a climate of anxiety and paranoia, and a perception that the state could use the law to persecute you. So jurists and intellectuals created this very lenient interpretation of the laws, and many criminals would stay just 1/3 of the sentence in the jail. They are changing it in the last years, but in Brazil when there is an alteration in the law, its effects can not retroact if it will be negative to you, only when is positive.

billybee99

Society shouldn’t be allowed to go beyond and demand extra sentencing after the fact. The justice system might be flawed, but it gave out appropriate sentencing and any caveats about life outside or potential restrictions should have been included in that sentence (ie not working with children upon release)

If he has been deemed to have served his sentence in full, there should be no further restrictions on his life that haven’t been given at sentencing.

If he is still valuable to a team and they want to sign him, then that should be that.

Our anger and outrage means we automatically feel like permanent justice is the solution, but rehabilitation means people have to go back to a life and be allowed to earn money after their sentence has been served.
Easy to say when it's not your daughter that he had murdered.

billybee99

Regardless of whether you think footballer should be held up as role models, they often are. Many kids want to emulate them and look up to them. They have an audience and reach that someone working a "normal" job doesn't. You don't see a red cafe for your local supermarket with threads about the new shelf-stacking signing do you? We're directly contributing towards their celebrity and stature.

I like to think I'm fairly liberal in mindset, and I think people deserve a second chance in general. That said, seeing Tyreek Hill play in the Superbowl turns my stomach a bit.
I like to think I'm fairly liberal in mindset too but do you know where I draw the line: hiring a hit man to kill the wife of your children. That's where I draw the line. I don't think you deserve a second chance after that. Sorry if that makes me judgmental.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Easy to say when it's not your daughter that he had murdered.
What is your point here? I don’t think you have understood what I meant.

I feel awful for the family, but that doesn’t change what I just said. They have been had by a justice system that is way too lenient, but after justice has been served, you can’t go back and serve it again for the same crime. That’s what the justice system is for.

He is trialed in front of a jury of his peers, a sentence is handed down by an authority, and the sentence is served.

It would be a crazy world if everyone could just give out whatever punishment they liked after the fact.

If he is free, he is free, and what you or I think, doesnt matter. I think what he did was absolutely horrible and suggests psychopathic tendencies. I think a football club would be mad to have a man like that around, but he is a free man who has been deemed to have served his sentence (albeit still under curfew)

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Should Scott Mc DE SAUCA be allowed to football? I don't think so.