Bruno Fernandes | United not interested due to doubts over passing ability

Status
Not open for further replies.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
The Portuguese papers are by far the worst, they have no clue, none of them and it's all just shit.

It's like a world of Don Balon over there.
Sports papers all over the world are pretty much the same. They have to make up news eventually, it's impossible to have new stuff everyday.

Reincarnated

The teams who had a great year, who already have a great team full of great players, are trying bring in more great players hijacking our plans. (If you believe the reports).

Going to be impossible to compete with them in the next 2-3 years.

Infestissumam

"A Bola (via the Star) say United are frontrunners"

so this is what it has come to. An English newspaper cites a Portuguese newspaper which cites a shite English newspaper.

going to be a long summer.

Inter Yer Nan

"A Bola (via the Star) say United are frontrunners"

so this is what it has come to. An English newspaper cites a Portuguese newspaper which cites a shite English newspaper.

going to be a long summer.
Sums it all up really. Shite sources with no care about being wrong start shite rumors and guesswork and then others pick and choose what will push clicks or fill in space.

Le Red

I’d imagine Bernardo Silva will end up taking David Silva’s role at some point in the near future.

As for Bruno got to say saw one tackle that was very Scholesesque, so if the rest of his game is any similar then I’m down for it but from what I saw other than a love for a knee high tackle the similarities stopped there.
I admit I only watched him in Youtube, and in his small WC appearance (which I don't remember anyway).
Everything in that clip screamed Scholes for me, very similar passes, shoots and advances. No other player gave me the same feeling ever since Scholes retired.

DSG

Back to our ol’ pal Bruno. A few observations from the match the other day.

Clearly, they were trying to shoehorn three no. 10’s in the side. Bernardo is definitely a creative 10, so is Felix. So they put poor Bruno on the right side of a diamond (?). Every report out of Portugal is that he is a 10/8 who plays through the middle. So, hard to judge him accurately.

Secondly, he really did not impress me. I get he was playing out of position, but he had some pretty bad crosses and flat out inaccurate passes. Either that or he was confused if he was Swiss or Portuguese... We already have a CM who can’t pass that cost us 50m (Fred), do we really need another one?

Can anyone confirm that he plays in a 4-3-3 for Sporting? If we keep Pogba, can the two play together?

I don’t buy the crap that lower leagues cannot produce top players. Just a shortlist, RvN, Ronaldo, Eriksen, Modric, Alli, Deco, Pepe, RvP, Bergkamp, Cancelo, OGS, I mean the list goes on and on.

Unfortunately, times have changed. Our competitors in the Prem won’t sell us their best players. We aren’t in the CL, so it’s difficult to raid top players from other top leagues, because they have offers from CL teams. We have to take chances on lower league players. Hopefully, we’ll get lucky and when we overpay, the player turns out to meet or even exceed expectations.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
To be fair, Scholes never looked the same playing wide left for England did he? It's important to judge a player in the correct position.

The Mad Manc

When was that ? 14 years back and it took so much of patience from our side to develop him

Do we have the time now for Bruno? He is already 24 and we are looking for an instant fix when we pay 70m for a 24 year old.
Have we not learned that there's no such thing as an instant fix? Dude looks a really good goal scoring midfielder who is probably still 3 years from his prime

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Seems a lot of posters are very disappointed having finally seen the actual player behind the YouTube clips.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Seems a lot of posters are very disappointed having finally seen the actual player behind the YouTube clips.
Yet again it's the youtube sensation. People watch these clips and see the best of him and think WOW what a player! but they forget that's a seasons highlights across 90 minutes per match. He might have 1-2 of those in a single game.

Players also have off matches too - hell most of the portuguese team did in that match.

There's a reason why scouts don't only work off 1 match.

Mainoldo

Yet non of us have watched James Maddison (really) so this can go for everyone unless they play for a big team.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yet non of us have watched James Maddison (really) so this can go for everyone unless they play for a big team.
We have all seen a few full games of Maddison certainly. That said, there was an obvious spike in his stock on this forum following Leicester’s game at the Etihad, in which he was brilliant. Perhaps the combination of his performance and the quality of the opposition got people excited.

Ultimately, I think just let the scouts get on with it, instead of constantly criticising them. They have been to Portugal to watch the likes of Fernandes live countless times, some of us have seen a combined 10 mins online and are happy to replace Paul Pogba with him!

Classical Mechanic

Think his stats have been crazy good this season but some I've heard some people say he has a very low bottom level, you saw that a bit for Portugal the other night with some horrible moments. He certainly doesn't look to have that high and consistent technical level you associate with some Southern European players like D Silva and B Silva.

Danger is that if he doesn't adapt then you're left with that bottom level stinking the place out.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It was literally one match where he was played out of position.

Maybe try being less reactionary.
Tell that to the posters who have said they don’t like what they see, not me.

And watching him in one match is less reactionary than deciding you want us to replace our best player with him even BEFORE you have watched one match. Unless I am wrong and people have been watching Sporting over the past few months, which I doubt.

ArjenIsM3

Cause the claim is bull. MEN Sinking to new levels
Hardly. They put the claim in quotation marks and they clearly mention the sources for the claims in the article. It's just a gossip roundup article. They're not trying to hide it and they're not claiming anything themselves.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Have we not learned that there's no such thing as an instant fix? Dude looks a really good goal scoring midfielder who is probably still 3 years from his prime
If I am paying 70m for a 24 year old, you are buying someone entering into peak and so, expect an immediate impact. Nothing wrong with it.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
If I am paying 70m for a 24 year old, you are buying someone entering into peak and so, expect an immediate impact. Nothing wrong with it.
Modric didn't leave Croatia until he was 23. Bruno is leaving Portugal at 24 after breaking a European record and winning 2 trophies in the process. Point being some guys are late bloomers despite the fact he played over 100 games in Serie A before he was 21 which is a estimate to his quality.

70M is a lot of money but thats the markets fault every players price is inflated. Championship players are worth 20M.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I think he will choose Liverpool or Spurs over us (if they are really in). Which is why I’m switching my target to Maddison, cheaper & a homegrown as well.

RoLo

O Jogo reporting that we are hesitant (Metro cites Woodward specifically but O Jogo don't name him) to close the deal for Bruno. Spurs apparently preparing a €70m bid which would be enough for Sporting to accept. This was the figure they asked City for but they wouldn't go above €55m.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Ed is going to feck this Fernandes transfer as only he knows!! :annoyed:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Modric didn't leave Croatia until he was 23. Bruno is leaving Portugal at 24 after breaking a European record and winning 2 trophies in the process. Point being some guys are late bloomers despite the fact he played over 100 games in Serie A before he was 21 which is a estimate to his quality.

70M is a lot of money but thats the markets fault every players price is inflated. Championship players are worth 20M.
Modric was 22 when he moved from Croatia to Spurs in 2008 for a reported £15m.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
18/19 - 32 goals, 18 assists in 53 games
17/18 - 16 goals, 20 assists in 56 games

At the "right age" of 24 y.o. so not much of "young and learning, he's for the future, need an arm around shoulder", trying to excuse the inconsistency. And him can play 50+ games a season is a big bonus.

From his heatmap last season, seems like he's a David Silva, instead of a Lampard. Pretty impressive output then.
Make you wonder who's the lucky club who'll get his service.

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/p...-analysis-bruno-fernandes-sporting-statistics

Last edited:

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Honestly feels like they’ve just been trying to squeeze more money out of us for months. I still feel like we’ll get him.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Modric was 22 who moved for 15m. Huge difference. And his stint in Serie A is quite bad- put it this way, if a 21/22 year old midfielder is pulling up that numbers in Serie A now, I wouldn't touch him.

Even with the inflated prices, 70m is too much.
Rather, we go for Maddison or someone of that ilk at that price.

Patrick08

Honestly feels like they’ve just been trying to squeeze more money out of us for months. I still feel like we’ll get him.
Papers write anything to grab attention. Wheels will roll after nations league and when international transfer window open.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I reckon we'll know how this one ends within the first few days of next week.

This is actually very De Ligt-esque, but Bruno is to us what De Ligt is to Barcelona.

Multiple clubs linked, but we're the ones that aren't going away. City's interest seemingly not that strong, think I've even seen some say it was completely fabricated. I do think Tottenham are a threat but I don't expect anything will happen with Eriksen soon enough for them to throw this money at Fernandes, so hopefully we can get it done early next week.

Literally the only player I'm confident we'll sign.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Modric was 22 who moved for 15m. Huge difference. And his stint in Serie A is quite bad- put it this way, if a 21/22 year old midfielder is pulling up that numbers in Serie A now, I wouldn't touch him.

Even with the inflated prices, 70m is too much.
Rather, we go for Maddison or someone of that ilk at that price.
Pretty bad? He came as an unknown prospect to the Serie A and played over 100 games by the time he was 21. Was a starter at Udinese for some time.

As for Modric keep in mind the inflation that has happened since then. 15M for a player in the Croatian league which is a pub league is A LOT of money especially for at the time that was the record transfer for Spurs.

In today’s market you are buying the best player in the Portuguese league who just had a record season.

Status
Not open for further replies.