Budget 2012

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
Public servants in poorer regions to get lower pay

George Osborne to argue in budget that pay should reflect local economies but critics say it will entrench north-south divide

George Osborne will announce plans to pay lower salaries to public sector workers in poorer parts of the country in his budget next week.

The chancellor will argue that public sector pay should mimic the private sector and be more reflective of local economies. He intends to start the process in three Whitehall departments in the coming financial year, as part of a phased introduction.

Critics say the move will entrench economic divisions between north and south and depress regions of the country already struggling in the economic downturn.

It has not yet been decided if localised pay will apply only to new staff or to existing staff as well, but it was being stressed that no current employee would suffer a pay cut. Instead pay levels will gradually be adjusted to take account of costs, leading to larger pay rises in the south-east where some labour shortages exist.

The plans emerged as the four top figures in the budget discussions spoke on the phone in an attempt to finalise the complex Treasury package to be published on Wednesday. Much of the discussion focused on the concessions being sought by the Liberal Democrats in return for agreeing to a cut in the 50p top rate of income tax, as well as the timetable by which this could be achieved.

Osborne plans to make the cut in the 50p rate for those earning over £150,000 the centrepiece of the budget, and is said to have been angered by the proposal leaking out this week. The chancellor was inundated by conflicting advice from Tory MPs as to whether the decision would be a political disaster at a time of austerity.

Many Tories tried to blame Lib Dems for the leak, saying it undermined trust between the two coalition partners.

The controversy over the top rate of tax will only be deepened by the revelation that the chancellor wants to press ahead with localised public sector pay. The Treasury will announce that 140,000 posts in the public sector will be the first to be subject to the new rules.

The first posts to be considered for localised pay are the 100,000 staff in the Department for Work and Pensions; 21,000 posts in the Home Office, including Border Agency staff; and 16,000 staff in the Department of Transport, including the DVLA in Swansea.

The Treasury intends to spread the reforms beyond the civil service across the public sector in the years ahead as staff come out of the public sector pay freeze.

The department is not trying to introduce just regional pay, but local or zonal pay that might take account of, for instance, living costs in suburban Manchester as opposed to inner-city Manchester.

The Treasury regards the change as one of the most important measures it can introduce to rebalance the economy. Osborne claims the move would provide a boost to the private sector in the north and south-west, arguing that employers in these areas cannot afford to recruit staff owing to the relatively high public sector wages in cheaper areas of the country.

The risk is that localised pay will fuel a boom in the high-wage south-east and further depress the north, so entrenching economic and social divides.

The Institute for Fiscal Studies found that earnings were more than 10% higher for men and 15% for women in the public sector in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

The Treasury's own research shows that public sector pay is 40% less responsive to local costs than the private sector. The main model for local or zonal pay so far has been the courts service.

The business secretary, Vince Cable, has spoken of the practical difficulties with the scheme and urged the government to handle the issue with great care.

He said: "It isn't just the political issue that people are going to be levelled down in some of the relatively low-wage areas; I think there is this genuine problem about how you get a career progression [among] long-term civil servants if you have differential pay."

Osborne outlined the plan in the autumn statement when he said he would ask the independent public sector pay review bodies to consider how to make public sector pay more responsive to local labour markets and report back by July.

Public sector unions say national bargaining brings economies of scale to public sector pay. The NHS, for example, has 161 acute hospital trusts. Each of these, it is claimed, would have to gather labour market intelligence, draw up a negotiating position, hold a number of negotiating meetings involving senior staff, and set up new payroll systems.

The unions will be furious after they have undergone a two-year pay freeze, cuts in their pension entitlements and cuts in as many as 700,000 public sector jobs.

In a sign of the already fractious relations, it was announced yesterday that civil servants in the Public and Commercial Services Union have voted to reject the government's latest pension proposals and continue industrial action.

Osborne has noted that Labour has endorsed regional welfare caps, and believes Ed Miliband has therefore already introduced the notion of regional incomes.

The plans will add to tensions about the overall political direction of the budget. Lib Dem willingnesss to see an end to the 50p rate in the right circumstances did not lead to serious protests inside Nick Clegg's party, although the leftwing Social Liberal Forum issued a statement urging the party to stand firm.

Ed Balls, the shadow chancellor, described the runup to the budget as a shambles. He said: "The idea that, when fuel bills are going up, tax credits are being cut and families are under real pressure, his first priority is to cut taxes only for those over £150,000? That is the wrong priority. It would be completely out of touch.

"I hope even at this late stage he will change course and help families in our country. That's what we need."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/mar/16/public-servants-poorer-regions-lower-pay

This will directly effect millions of teachers, nurses, civil servants and other public sector workers who will see their salaries fall in relation to the public sector salaries of those in wealthier areas.

Words cannot describe how wrong and stupid I think this is. It can only serve to widen the wealth gaps across the country, and the idea that it will boost the private sector in these areas in laughable. In some regions, the public sector accounts for 60-70% of jobs - if public sector pay is lowered, then that means less money in the local economy for the private sector. For that reason, it could potentially even result in decreased wages in the private sector as well as in the public sector.

Combine this with the disproportionate cuts in public spending outside the South East of England, the dismantling of the NHS in England and, as we will see in next week's budget, the lowering of tax for the highest earners and you wonder why the hell people are allowing them to get away with it.

mjs020294

I don't have any problems with public sector pay mirroring local conditions and private sector pay. In fact I find the thought of public pay outstripping private sector pay nauseating. If you allow that sort of thing to happen you stifle the economy and struggle to raise enough money to cover public sector spending, which doesn't benefit anyone.

NHS spending has to b controlled one way or another. The burden of healthcare is ever increasing and the money available is stagnating....something has to give unfortunately.

rednev

I don't have any problems with public sector pay mirroring local conditions and private sector pay. In fact I find the thought of public pay outstripping private sector pay nauseating. If you allow that sort of thing to happen you stifle the economy and struggle to raise enough money to cover public sector spending, which doesn't benefit anyone.

NHS spending has to b controlled one way or another. The burden of healthcare is ever increasing and the money available is stagnating....something has to give unfortunately.
Are you talking about the national economy or local economies?

rednev

Increasing costs of healthcare don't go away by reducing public health expenditure. If anything, they become worse. The costs have to be met one way or the other....either fairly or unfairly. What you're suggesting is that the costs be met unfairly, like in the US.

Dave89

I wouldn't have a problem with equalising salaries to match housing costs in particular, if it wasn't done with the general aim of driving public sector pay down.
Well he sure as hell won't be looking to raise it. There's a wonderful logic to regionalised pay. "hmm, how to fix poorer areas? I know, pay them even less"

Dave89

What I find nauseating is the years and years of outsourcing the lowest paid jobs in the public sector (cleaners, guards, canteen staff, etc), which A) means these people's conditions deteriorate even further over time, and B) in the long term will both lower the average private sector pay, and increase the average public sector pay (purely as a result of the statistical trickery of lower paid jobs transferring) which means someone can come along, as they are now, point out this "disparity", and attack the wages of the public sector workers that they can't outsource at present.

Don't Kill Bill

"Osborne claims the move would provide a boost to the private sector in the north and south-west, arguing that employers in these areas cannot afford to recruit staff owing to the relatively high public sector wages in cheaper areas of the country.

The risk is that localised pay will fuel a boom in the high-wage south-east and further depress the north, so entrenching economic and social divides."

..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Here we are again in the Osborne fantasy world about private sector growth. Somehow if we pay the people at work and pensions less for doing the same job in Sunderland than if they work in Luton magically the private sector becomes more productive.

Is he really that thick?

If cutting public sector pay in one area increases private sector growth doesn't it follow that in the areas you are now allowed to pay more, private sector growth is slowed, giving you no benefit nationally.

Or is it just that he thinks by breaking national pay agreements he will later be able to cut public sector wages in low wage areas. It might start in admin jobs but once the principle is established there will be no end to it.

Agent Red

I don't know about other public sector areas, but the civil service already has regionalised pay so I am quite surprised by this 'change' being announced.

They say it's not a money saving exercise but to boost the private sector, but to be honest I think the logic behind it being a money saving exercise is much more sound than the latter argument. Saying that people in cheaper areas don't need as much money is a fairly standard argument and is generally used by most companies who will offer a 'London wage' to account for the massively increased living costs in the region.

Saying it's to boost the private sector makes no sense at all. Reducing all the wages in a region will result in less money in that area and less consumption and investment. The private sector will no longer feel the need to compete with public sector pay and may possibly drive down it's own wages in response to this, resulting in less wealth in that region entirely.

Given that I can't really see its effectiveness, I think it's odd that they've decided to announce yet another public sector pay hit in the budget. Firstly, I think most areas of the public sector already have regional pay, and secondly, it looks presentationally very bad to do this coming in the immediate wake of the pay freeze, 1% increase cap and the ongoing pension cuts.

Don't Kill Bill

"The business secretary, Vince Cable, has spoken of the practical difficulties with the scheme and urged the government to handle the issue with great care.

He said: "It isn't just the political issue that people are going to be levelled down in some of the relatively low-wage areas; I think there is this genuine problem about how you get a career progression [among] long-term civil servants if you have differential pay."
..............................................................................................................................
Fantastic from the Liberals here as well. Clearly the career ambitions of the long term civil servant is the main difficulty with introducing a long term pay freeze on large numbers of public sector workers living in poor communities.

"Treasury officials say it would ensure the UK has a responsive, modern labour force".

In some parts of the country the state rate of pay is relatively quite good, so we are going to starve people out of those jobs by freezing their pay so they will take private sector jobs which aren't there. Oh and this won't have any effect on the delivery of public services in areas which see the pay freeze. Why should these people be stuffed because of the high cost of housing elsewhere? Shouldn't the onus be on those areas to sort their own labour shortages/cost of living problems out?

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I also would end national pay rates in the public sector, but instead base pay on the number of applicants applying for vacancies. For example, advertise a primary school teacher or assistant job in a Northern middle-class leafy suburb and you are likely to get hundreds of applicants. Advertise one in a drug-riddled sink estate and you'll be lucky to fill it. The solution, without adding cost, is to reduce pay in the former and give it to the latter.

Smores

I'm surprised to learn this isn't already the case. The Unions will hate it as they have their own vested interests and have to be seen to stand up for their members but it's simply good policy.

As long as they implement it through varying future pay rises and gradual changes in the pay scales of new recruits then I see no issue.

Agent Red

I also would end national pay rates in the public sector, but instead base pay on the number of applicants applying for vacancies. For example, advertise a primary school teacher or assistant job in a Northern middle-class leafy suburb and you are likely to get hundreds of applicants. Advertise one in a drug-riddled sink estate and you'll be lucky to fill it. The solution, without adding cost, is to reduce pay in the former and give it to the latter.
I think this already happens in some situations with 'golden handcuff' or 'golden hello' type deals for some of the roughest schools.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I think this already happens in some situations with 'golden handcuff' or 'golden hello' type deals for some of the roughest schools.
Yes it does, but it's been done in the context of putting more money in, which of course any fool can suggest, and it hasn't been enough. What I am proposing would be cost-neutral, or if necessary cost-saving, by reducing the pay of new starters/new promotions where it is easy to recruit in order to increase pay where it is harder. And not just in education.

It won't be easy to believe, but I say this partly from a left-wing viewpoint. I want better applicants in the harder areas, because that's where they're most needed. It's easy to say put more resources in by spending more, but I'm talking about getting more for the resources we have.

rednev

I'm surprised to learn this isn't already the case. The Unions will hate it as they have their own vested interests and have to be seen to stand up for their members but it's simply good policy.

As long as they implement it through varying future pay rises and gradual changes in the pay scales of new recruits then I see no issue.
You see no issue with a policy that guarantees to make millions of people significantly poorer than they otherwise would be? No issue at all with reducing the amount of money floating around in the economies of poorer regions? Really?

This is, for me, possibly the worst policy of the coalition to date. I don't think people are appreciating just how much damage this will do.

shaydun

I'm not a close follower of British politics, and with that caveat, I'm wondering what the hell are the Liberal Democrats doing in supporting some of these outrageous Tory policies? Why haven't they pulled the plug at this stage?

They remind me a bit of the Greens in Ireland; a party that has a reasonable enough ideology, but is so giddy at finally getting into government that they are willing to say or do anything that permits them to stay there just a little bit longer. Even if it alienates their own base.

Do they have some kind of strategy that I cannot see? Or are they really just brainless cretins?

edit: Actually, just realised this is off topic and might be worthy of a thread on its own, but I've posted it now anyway so might as well leave it here.

Smores

They've killed their own party and got nothing in return. It's fair to say they're brainless cretins.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
The Lib Dem's had to prove that having 3 parties worked, that coalition governments worked. They had to try.

And they failed. Miserably. They will probably claim they've had enough and hasten a new election. And lose. Miserably.

Smores

If they'd have just stood up for their values and shown themselves not to be push overs then they'd have put themselves in a very good position come the next election. Alas, It's too late now, the only way back will be disassociate themselves from Clegg which some have been doing threatening a breakaway.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
People have far too idealistic a view on these matters.

Saying the rich should pay 'their fair share' and abolishing the 50% rate is 'just to favour the rich' is nonsense. If cutting the top rate results in an overall higher yield then how is that not better for the economy as a whole?

Smores

at least have the damn rich pay their share instead placing all the burden on ordinary people.

How many bloody mansions and yachts do they need?
I'm sure I read that the top 10% account for around 50% of the tax income. Top 1% account for 20%.

Not saying that's right or wrong but the majority use more than they pay for because of the rich folks contributions.

Don't Kill Bill

People have far too idealistic a view on these matters.

Saying the rich should pay 'their fair share' and abolishing the 50% rate is 'just to favour the rich' is nonsense. If cutting the top rate results in an overall higher yield then how is that not better for the economy as a whole?
Rich people say this all the time, the fact it isn't true or at least isn't proved sets the argument back somewhat.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
I'm sure I read that the top 10% account for around 50% of the tax income. Top 1% account for 20%.

Not saying that's right or wrong but the majority use more than they pay for because of the rich folks contributions.
Thats what happens when the earnings of those at the top ballons whilst those of the bottom stagnate

F-Red

Rich people say this all the time, the fact it isn't true or at least isn't proved sets the argument back somewhat.
I think its more about bringing us in line with others in Europe to make Britain more attractive for high earners.

Eurozone average is around 42% and EU average is about 37%

HMRC report this week should give some indication if the 50% rate is actually offering anything. Difficult discussion though as morals will shroud the maths behind it, even if it does make sense to cut the rate.

Don't Kill Bill

I think its more about bringing us in line with others in Europe to make Britain more attractive for high earners.

Eurozone average is around 42% and EU average is about 37%

HMRC report this week should give some indication if the 50% rate is actually offering anything. Difficult discussion though as morals will shroud the maths behind it, even if it does make sense to cut the rate.
Trans-national tax competition is a different argument. It seems to me like a list of arguments to achieve a goal. Reduce taxes on the high earners; use whatever argument to justify it, if one argument is disproved move on to the next.

The Tories oppose any EU tax harmonisation like their lives depend upon it.

bsc

Will be interesting to see just how naive and foolish the Lib Dem quislings look tomorrow.

What exactly did they get in return for letting the Tories scrap the 50p, something HH brought up to Clegg about his support for it in the Commons today.

Going from the early leaks it looks they got very little, which makes it all the more mental they let this happen, when even Daily Mail readers and a high percentage of Tory voters actually see it fair in the current economic climate.

Commadus

As long as the lie that Public system is bad and private system is good we will never get an honest assessment by these politicians.

The most important issue is how to allocate finite resources that creates the greatest welfare.

The market is not the be all and end all of everything.