Callum Gribbin: The ex-Manchester United wonderkid starting again in England’s seventh tier

BuzzKillington

Adrian Doherty was rated higher than Giggs and reached the first team bench before Giggs did before suffering a career ending injury.

Everyone who saw him play rated him the best talent they ever saw people like Giggs, Robbie Savage and Brendan Rodgers etc
Every club seems to have one of these, I remember my city mates raving about Paul Lake like he was the second coming of Maradona.

the chameleon

Every club seems to have one of these, I remember my city mates raving about Paul Lake like he was the second coming of Maradona.
The funniest one I remember was George Graham's classic quote, in response to Michael Owen's rise in 1997/98.

"Liverpool have Michael Owen, but we have Harpal Singh."

lsd

The Oracle

I remember that hype. Did he have drink problems?

Might be Michael Johnson I'm thinking of

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Yes, he's an utter bellend. Not that talented either.

By the way, I am Callum's dad.

SambaBoy

Read any article about a player on the Athletic and you will think he's one of the best players in the world or could have been,

They overhype the players, and they are normally obscure so it's hard to tell if what they are reporting is correct. I remember there being some hype around Gribbin, but best youth player since Morrison and Giggs? No.

Gavinb33

I think Lake did his cruciates beck
In the days when that was a career ending injury.
Yep and City bodged the operation and recovery from what i remember reading at the time.

As for the poster about Aidy Doherty the kid was being called up to the 1st team before Giggs, then got injured in a reserve team game and wasnt able to come back, i surmise if that happened now he'd more than likely make a full recovery and the book wasnt just a book about football it was his story and he wasnt your usual footballer and was considered very different by everyone and his death had an air of mystery about it also.

As for the article questioned and people questioning whether Gribbin was as good as people say, there are not too many quotes from United in the piece they are more from England youth coaches and others, as for the player if Vardy can do what he did you have to back yourself but it wont be easy.

Devil81

Just watched him play for FC United against Wythenshawe Town in the Manchester Cup.

Some nice touches but got the feeling he was just going through the motions with little heart for the fight.

I'd have expected a player of such talent to have dominated the game but the game seemed to have just passed him by. Such a shame to see.

X