Calum Chambers

James Peril

Yeah but Tarkowski is flavour of the month with the media at the minute so jump aboard the hype train.
In the thread of the Team of the Year on this very site, Tarkowski was mentioned in what seems 50% of them. Ridiculous really, he isn’t even close and Burnley are just a collectively defensive unit.

Robbie Boy

True, but my point was that the positional play and speed of Morata (and the very good passes he received) made things difficult for Chambers, and obviously playing as a defender for a Wenger team in a basically newly formed defence is already difficult. (I did not want to distract from Morata's poor finishing.)
To be honest, I don't rate Holding either and I think Arsenal's defence looked a panicky mess last night. Either way, I've never really rated Chambers and I'm actually surprised he's still at Arsenal.

Robbie Boy

In the thread of the Team of the Year on this very site, Tarkowski was mentioned in what seems 50% of them. Ridiculous really, he isn’t even close and Burnley are just a collectively defensive unit.
Aye, that's exactly it. I mean Steven Ward is pretty shite, but even he looks relatively ok in that Burnley backline. Also look at Keane since he moved to Everton, he hasn't looked like half the player he was ay Burnley. Ah it's typical, I'm pretty sure plenty hadn't even heard of Tarkowski until this season, but once a hipster name gets around, it becomes trend to go with it.

arthurka

HAHAHA he looks just all over the place but he is playing with a German international that looks about the same..

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I've known (and obviously been watching him play) since he was 16/17.

Steaks ahead of any defender he played with or against at youth level...real class act. Seems to get a hard time for making mistakes when he gets the odd game at Arsenal - but what defender, especially young ones, come in and immediately turn out immaculate displays. If a defender makes a mistake, it gets picked up a lot more as it usually leads to a chance/goal. He just needs games and a bit of backing, if he gets that he'll do very well...as seen last year at Boro.

Not sure Arsenal is the right place for him though. Limited chances at a run in the team and very twitchy fans, especially at home.

...he's a big United fan too.
Did he play RB coming through the youths? He played there in his only first team season at Southampton, they used to rotate between him and Clyne.

Just don't see any outstanding features for him as a centre half.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
We should sign him and give him the number 36 just to give respect to the Wu.

Zoo

Starting for Arsenal tonight - the best young British central defender, who’s development has naturally been Wenger’d, but was quality for Boro on loan last season.

Reminds me of Alderweireld in style, and would be an ideal long-term partner for Bailly.
He’s rubbish.

goons

Supports
Arsenal
Horrible defender. Should be sent to some Championship outfit as soon as possible where he belongs. Can’t believe he’s starting games for us.

meamth

Inappropriate Content
He got absolutely raped with the best attackers with pace. Happens time and time again..

AP88

Supports
Man City
I've known (and obviously been watching him play) since he was 16/17.

Steaks ahead of any defender he played with or against at youth level...real class act. Seems to get a hard time for making mistakes when he gets the odd game at Arsenal - but what defender, especially young ones, come in and immediately turn out immaculate displays. If a defender makes a mistake, it gets picked up a lot more as it usually leads to a chance/goal. He just needs games and a bit of backing, if he gets that he'll do very well...as seen last year at Boro.

Not sure Arsenal is the right place for him though. Limited chances at a run in the team and very twitchy fans, especially at home.

...he's a big United fan too.

Yeah he is/was infinitely more talented than Jones and Smalling and a far more natural defender than Stones; this was him at 18 before Wenger got the chance to sabotage him in the same way he did Walcott, Ox, Jeffers, Ramsey (to a lesser extent) etc....

His only ‘weakness’ is his pace, but Terry and Vidic both got exposed in that regard a number of times, and his early performances in these videos, fresh from working with Pochettino, he neutralised that with good positioning and reading of the game.

As recently as last season at Boro and in the summer for the u21s he was immense, then naturally playing once a month in a system that makes quality, experienced internationals like Koscielny and Mustafi look woeful as well has taken its toll on its form.

He’s got the talent to be Alderweireld-like but he needs a regular run of games under a proper manager; next to a defender with pace, he could play at the very top level.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I don't see and never have seen a player 'infinitely more talented than Jones' even allowing for hyperbole.

meamth

Yeah he is/was infinitely more talented than Jones and Smalling and a far more natural defender than Stones; this was him at 18 before Wenger got the chance to sabotage him in the same way he did Walcott, Ox, Jeffers, Ramsey (to a lesser extent) etc....

His only ‘weakness’ is his pace, but Terry and Vidic both got exposed in that regard a number of times, and his early performances in these videos, fresh from working with Pochettino, he neutralised that with good positioning and reading of the game.

As recently as last season at Boro and in the summer for the u21s he was immense, then naturally playing once a month in a system that makes quality, experienced internationals like Koscielny and Mustafi look woeful as well has taken its toll on its form.

He’s got the talent to be Alderweireld-like but he needs a regular run of games under a proper manager; next to a defender with pace, he could play at the very top level.
You should look his performances against the top sides. he was constantly beaten with pace.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Been fantastic today - gets exposed for pace as a rightback or right of a back 3, but when central he’s got a lot for a proper coach to work with. Easily better than Lindelof.

Would like to see him under someone like Allegri.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Been fantastic today - gets exposed for pace as a rightback or right of a back 3, but when central he’s got a lot for a proper coach to work with. Easily better than Lindelof.

Lindelof was excellent today.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

Wow. Easily better than Lindelof is a big call.

I’m not even a big admirer of Lindelof, but I think he needs a bit more time before we judge him.

AP88

Supports
Man City

Wow. Easily better than Lindelof is a big call.

I’m not even a big admirer of Lindelof, but I think he needs a bit more time before we judge him.
He can head the ball and is positionally just as good; no difference in distribution either, despite Lindelof being lauded for it.

Nick7

Easily better than Lidelof is a hilarious hilarious notion. Chambers has been utter gash for a lot longer than Lindelof has even been in the league.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Chambers has had more than his fair share of mares tbh.
All young players do under Wenger though - his initial performances at Arsenal before being shunted into midfield by Wenger were indicative of a potentially great young defender, and the same at Boro last season and for the u21s last summer.

Look at Oxlaide-Chamberlain once he escaped Arsenal, finally looks to be fulfilling his potential. Ramsey has underachieved too.

The way Chambers reads the game and defenders space is the closest thing in England to Alderweireld; willing to bet he’ll be regarded as one of the best in the league this time next season.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
All young players do under Wenger though - his initial performances at Arsenal before being shunted into midfield by Wenger were indicative of a potentially great young defender, and the same at Boro last season and for the u21s last summer.

Look at Oxlaide-Chamberlain once he escaped Arsenal, finally looks to be fulfilling his potential. Ramsey has underachieved too.

The way Chambers reads the game and defenders space is the closest thing in England to Alderweireld; willing to bet he’ll be regarded as one of the best in the league this time next season.
Hmmmm....not a betting man myself, but I’m sure someone here might take you up on that offer!

But yeah, he had the potential (hence arsenal signed him) and hasn’t progressed since. So maybe a change of manager/scenery is what’s needed

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

No chance.

He's the sort that needs to play in a defensive system to cover up his lack of pace and stuff like that.

Burnley would probably be a good move. They'll need much more depth next season playing in europe.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal

Young players like Ashley Cole, Toure, Anelka, Cesc and RVP seemed to do fine under Wenger. Young players who fail under Wenger never succeed anywhere else strangely enough.

Oxlade-Chamberlain is the same as he was for Arsenal, inconsistent and injury prone. Nonsense to say hes moved up a level or is showing anything he didnt previously.