Can any other manager win the league while Klopp and Pep are here?

RiqCantona

Straight forward question. The way City and Liverpool have built their foundations, and with 2 master tacticians at the helm - I don't see any other team winning the league while Klopp and Pep remain in charge. Other teams can fight and get to 2nd place, but no matter whom they sign, or which manager is in charge - I think that the title will be decided between them. I did read somewhere that at least one of them might leave at the end of 2024 season - don't think anyone has any hope before that.

Thoughts?

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Antonio Conte won the title in 2016/2017 season with Chelsea.. Pep finished 3rd and Klopp 4th.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
If Newcastle goes really ape in the transfer market, Howe will be up there in one year or two as well.

RiqCantona

The chances of both teams c*cking up is highly improbable. They're good in the market and have the experience of winning the league. Reminds me of the United-Arsenal days, when it was either of the two for a lengthy period of time.

Moby

Dick
Not unless they have injuries, they don't really have any key players who are about to decline soon, so at least in near future they will fight it out. Can see Chelsea giving them a fight if they don't suffer as many injuries as this season.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Not while Pep's around, because of his unlimited funding.

But Klopp could feck it up with a mediocre or rushed rebuild.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Of course they can. Those two stepped up and proved themselves to be the best managers, however, I’m not sure why everyone is acting as if they also closed that particular door behind them. They didn’t invent football and it doesn’t belong to them. Any manager is free to come along and be as good or better, and if he also finds himself at a club with the foundation and resources to match - then he literally fonds himself in the exact same situation as the other two.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yes, though very difficult. Your best chance is to get a manager that can also build a top team and play progressive football as only then do you have a hope of getting similar consistency. We have the funding to compete. Just need the right targets and right coaching. It is definitely a lot harder for anyone to be successful with Pep and Klopp to compete with though.

JDoe

Supports
Bayern

This pretty much I think. Liverpool requires the vast majority of their high money transfers to be big hits for several seasons to compete (only Keita/Ox weren't and I wouldn't necessarily call them flops either), and also are dependent on surprise hits like Robertson/Matip and academy players to compete, while City has unlimited budget and can afford players like Grealish/Stones/Mahrez/Ake/Danilo etc. to be rather mediocre and can easily replace them when they are not performing as expected.

Tavern in the town

A lot being made of City’s “unlimited” budget but we’ve spent more than them post Fergie and also have a higher wage bill (officially.) Money is not the issue, it’s competence. That being said it’s very difficult to see anyone competing because when the bar is 95 points you have to be nigh on perfect. Fergie used to talk about how you can afford 6 losses a season. Those days are done.

It’s also very interesting seeing the responses to this thread, because in other threads discussing the strength of the Premier League people remain convinced the league is weaker than it was in years gone by. If that was the case then surely amassing 95 point totals shouldn’t be too difficult? Or people could just accept the league is strong as feck right now and we’re up against the 2 best teams the country has seen.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
If Chelsea can put trust and funding in Tuchel for next years, think he could take them directly to realistic title fight.

Ten Hag will need even more time...

Spaghetti

Mom's
Chelsea could easily win it.

In fact, if Lukaku had been what they were expecting (and how he played in his first match) they would be right up there this season.

Pep and Klopp are not unbeatable.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
No and it's City mainly even without Pep... Liverpool don't have the same resources available and are just in a golden period in which they're also getting a lot of "luck"... They might even do the quad this year... The one thing you have to say is how dull the league would be if Liverpool weren't pushing City nearly every year, see last season... It'll be very hard for Liverpool to maintain their level near City indefinitely though.

City have the resources to continually push 90 point plus seasons or even more. Unless other teams also have the same resources, very hard to get near them. They're obviously inflating their revenue and are prepared to lose money seemingly indefinitely. Other teams need to be prepared to be losing £100m+ a season at least to continually mount a title challenge and compete with that.

At least the cups are a different story.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Someone already did, an Italian fellow i reckon, goes by the name of conte.
Facetious remarks aside , yes people are getting a bit ahead of themselves due to the current state off affairs but football is very cyclical.
Hell klopp hasn't exactly had the best record as a manager, ole finished above him once.
It will be very hard but under the right circumstances, the right man can do it and in my opinion do it consistently.

Kaushal

It can be done . There are 20 teams in the league. Taking out pool and city there are 34 matches against other teams. 17 of those are at home. Right now 90-95 points might be enough to win you the title on average. There would be some away matches where you would lose points over the season but out of the 51 points at home, and you have to make sure you win almost all your home matches. You just have to bar some exception.

To do that you have to build a team with a strong spine. Make old Trafford a fortress and win 47-51 points at home and after that getting 34-38 points out of 17 away matches isn’t hard. Then you think about the 4 matches against Pep and Klopp and picking up 6-8 points should be doable. Easier said than done and a bit idiotic to break it like that but I believe it is possible. There is no team other than city and pool in the league who you can’t beat at home. The gulf is huge between them and the rest. The key is to win almost all your home matches. That should be the target first and foremost.

Last edited:

nomdeplume1325

Conte did it in Pep’s first year and when Klopp was stilL settling in at Liverpool having inherited a really rubbish squad. Once those two got going, no one else has had a look in.

abundance

Supports
Inter
Straight forward question. The way City and Liverpool have built their foundations, and with 2 master tacticians at the helm - I don't see any other team winning the league while Klopp and Pep remain in charge. Other teams can fight and get to 2nd place, but no matter whom they sign, or which manager is in charge - I think that the title will be decided between them. I did read somewhere that at least one of them might leave at the end of 2024 season - don't think anyone has any hope before that.

Thoughts?
It's all about you, guys.

A well run Utd has all the means to build a 100pts team in a couple of seasons

Vaultech

One man came closer than anybody. His name was Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
Don't be ridiculous. The gap between first and second is still huge. Last season was a weak season for BOTH Liverpool and Man City, and United still couldn't catch up to Man City.

70ish points is simply not enough to win the league. You need at least 80ish points.

He should have won it man! We had way too many stupid errors. Regardless, I definitely think it's possible.
No he shouldn't. A hack of a manager do not deserve to win the title on counter-attacking football. Counter-attacking football is simply not dominant enough to win you the league. If fans like you think Ole deserve to win it, then you are part of the problem why United failed to win the title for the last 10 years.

Put it this way. To win the league with both Pep and Klopp around, you need to build a team that can win 90ish points on average per season. And the only way to do that is to ensure dominance of nearly every game. And the way to do it now is to ensure you have a good attacking side and not merely play a counter-attacking style.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Don't be ridiculous. The gap between first and second is still huge. Last season was a weak season for BOTH Liverpool and Man City, and United still couldn't catch up to Man City.

70ish points is simply not enough to win the league. You need at least 80ish points.

No he shouldn't. A hack of a manager do not deserve to win the title on counter-attacking football. Counter-attacking football is simply not dominant enough to win you the league. If fans like you think Ole deserve to win it, then you are part of the problem why United failed to win the title for the last 10 years.

Put it this way. To win the league with both Pep and Klopp around, you need to build a team that can win 90ish points on average per season. And the only way to do that is to ensure dominance of nearly every game. And the way to do it now is to ensure you have a good attacking side and not merely play a counter-attacking style.
I dont know if English is your first language, but I never mentioned that he deserves to win it based on his merit of being a good coach. Even by fluke, I still think we should have won if not for some serious mistakes.

Righteous Steps

95 points is what it takes to win the league, anyone who can get 95 points plus has a chance.

Vaultech

I dont know if English is your first language, but I never mentioned that he deserves to win it based on his merit of being a good coach. Even by fluke, I still think we should have won if not for some serious mistakes.
I don't think any counter-attacking manager that relies on individual player's lucky streak deserve to win any major trophies. Because its a coward way of winning things. I detest flukey-wins in football as a whole.

Your kind of thinking is why United never hired a good enough manager over the past decade. Because you don't demand higher standards from managers. Relying on not making mistakes to win title is a Mourinho way of thinking, and that school of thought has been shown to be utterly outdated.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
I don't think any counter-attacking manager that relies on individual player's lucky streak deserve to win any major trophies. Because its a coward way of winning things. I detest flukey-wins in football as a whole.

Your kind of thinking is why United never hired a good enough manager over the past decade. Because you don't demand higher standards from managers. Relying on not making mistakes to win title is a Mourinho way of thinking, and that school of thought has been shown to be utterly outdated.
So you're saying we shouldn't rely on not making mistakes? NOBODY should make mistakes. Im not saying solskjaer deserved it based on his football and tactics, but I am also not saying we should make mistakes that our strikers have to cover for.

Are you a maguire fan by any chance?

padr81

Supports
Man City
Conte did it in Pep’s first year and when Klopp was stilL settling in at Liverpool having inherited a really rubbish squad. Once those two got going, no one else has had a look in.
He got 93 points regardless of City and Liverpool thats a phenomenal points haul and would challenge any year. They took 7 points from City and Liverpool (6 vs City, 1 vs Liverpool), even taking away those fixtures they got 86 points from the rest of the league. If they did that again they'd be right in the mix. City and Liverpool are only 12 potential points out of 114.

Vaultech

So you're saying we shouldn't rely on not making mistakes? NOBODY should make mistakes. Im not saying solskjaer deserved it based on his football and tactics, but I am also not saying we should make mistakes that our strikers have to cover for.

Are you a maguire fan by any chance?
No, I am saying you should win by trying to dominate the game, and not rely on hopeful counter-attack tactics that relied heavily on "not-making mistakes".

A team like Liverpool and Man City aren't afraid of making mistakes, especially by playing a high defensive line. Worrying about making mistakes is fundamentally a mentality of weak teams, especially those in the bottom halves of a table.

Your mentality is precisely the kind of thinking that will fail to win titles against a Klopp or Pep's team. While you're busy worrying about avoiding mistakes, those teams ran away with the ball having fun and dominating their opponents game after game.

AndySmith1990

Yes of course, just as other managers won the league when Ferguson was here. They are great, but they aren't perfect, no one is. Ourselves and Chelsea have the resources to compete, we just need to have the right structure and find the right personnel to match them. Long road ahead to reach that level obviously (for us), but not impossible.

Zen86

Of course they can, they’re not invincible. Is anyone else in a position to win the league anytime soon however? Probably not.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Chelsea could easily win it.

In fact, if Lukaku had been what they were expecting (and how he played in his first match) they would be right up there this season.

Pep and Klopp are not unbeatable.
No they wouldn't. They have not proved at any point they can go the length with Liverpool and City over a full season.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
They absolutely could but would need a start like Liverpool's title winning season to knock the wind out of their sails.

And then a mid-season break, half a season where you're allowed water breaks to rest every half, no other competitions to take focus away and no away fans to make any grounds more intimidating.

Nicolarra90

Could that happen?
They literally just bought Diaz for 1/4 of Sancho and he tore us a new one last Tuesday