Can Conte win a title for Spurs?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
No. Spurs were underwhelming far too often last season under Conte and haven't yet IMO improved their first XI this summer. Squad depth yes, first XI no. They will draw or lose too many games to get close to the two winning machines we have in our league.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Is it possible? Yes it is. However if City continue to play like they have then I can't see anybody beating them to the title. Spurs are now acting like a big club though, with a top class manager being backed heavily by his chairman and the quality of players coming in really improving the squad. For the first time in a very long time I'm going into a season full of confidence that we can sustain a title challenge even if I know it's unlikely we will win it, I do think we will push both Liverpool and City hard.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Cup? Yes.

League? No.

Also there is one more factor to consider, with one game a week Conte is just unreal. With CL or conference league, his record was average.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Conte is the kind of manager where if you back….you’ll win things, cups, leagues

so yea, he can

As much as what anything is possible, I doubt he’d win a league title next season, but just in general terms, if spurs back him, then yes of course he can

his record elsewhere backs that up
Basically this.

Conte is a manager who wins big trophies, and they now have a forward line of Kane, Son, Rich and Kulu…

Deery

Dreary
I think he can do well but not sure he can amass the points tally of a Man City, could go close though.

GlasgowCeltic

Could see them pushing above Chelsea but doubt they’ll have the stamina for the 95 point marathon. Would kind of love to see it though, Kane lifting the Prem while Arteta lauds his teams heroic EL quarter final run that only narrowly ended against Anderlecht

tidraKS

I can see they've improved the squad, but have they really improved the first 11? Not sure about it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Definitely.
If the title is "club who have zero chance of the league".

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Liverpool and City are fecking miles ahead. Third is a four horse race including them though.
I don’t get these types of statements. Liverpool and City were miles ahead last season. We are yet to see whether they will be miles ahead this season. I’m not a fan of putting points on the board for teams before they have actually gone out and won them.

Cloud7

If he has a lot of luck with injuries and form it is possible. Not likely, but not impossible.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I can see they've improved the squad, but have they really improved the first 11? Not sure about it.
Perisic and Bisoumma both come straight into the first 11 and improve it significantly - Richarlison will give much needed added depth to the forward line. We are not done yet, we are likely bringing in 2 new central defenders (1 of which will be a first 11 starter) a new RWB (rotation) and possibly an attacking midfielder. I expect our first 11 and squad to have been significantly strengthened by the end of this window.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I don’t get these types of statements. Liverpool and City were miles ahead last season. We are yet to see whether they will be miles ahead this season. I’m not a fan of putting points on the board for teams before they have actually gone out and won them.
You’re right. City being miles ahead last season is an isolated incident. They haven’t won 4 of the last 5 league titles with an average of 93 points across that period. All teams start equal.

Dante

Average bang
Conte's a serial winner whereas Spurs are serial losers.

Unstoppable force meets immovable object.

If I had to guess, I think Spurs spursiness will be too much even for Conte. They'll win nowt.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
You’re right. City being miles ahead last season is an isolated incident. They haven’t won 4 of the last 5 league titles with an average of 93 points across that period. All teams start equal.
I know I am.

City were only miles ahead last season because they actually went out there and were miles ahead last season. Otherwise, they would have won 3 of the last 5 titles instead of 4, and we’d have said they had a fantastic 4 year spell instead of 5. And if they do the same this coming season, we’d now speak of City’s excellent 6 year spell instead of 5, and if they don’t, then we will speak of the 5, at which point it ended.

Because City won 4 of the last 5 doesn’t mean they will win the next 4. They might win the next two though, and then stop, or they might have won 4 out of 5, and then stopped now. It is up to them to keep doing it, and until they do, then they haven’t. Right now, they haven’t, and as a result, nobody knows whether we are in a 5/6 year dynasty that fell off in 2022 or in a 15 year one. Even you.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I know I am.

City were only miles ahead last season because they actually went out there and were miles ahead last season. Otherwise, they would have won 3 of the last 5 titles instead of 4, and we’d have said they had a fantastic 4 year spell instead of 5. And if they do the same this coming season, we’d now speak of City’s excellent 6 year spell instead of 5, and if they don’t, then we will speak of the 5, at which point it ended.

Because City won 4 of the last 5 doesn’t mean they will win the next 4. They might win the next two though, and then stop, or they might have won 4 out of 5, and then stopped now. It is up to them to keep doing it, and until they do, then they haven’t. Right now, they haven’t, and as a result, nobody knows whether we are in a 5/6 year dynasty or in a 15 year one. Even you.
This is a properly insane argument. You’re essentially saying the past has zero basis on predicting how a team or individuals will perform in the future and all teams are now equal. Rhodri hasn’t stopped being Rhodri, De Bruyne hasn’t stopped being De Bruyne and Pep hasn’t stopped being one of the best managers around just because we all start from 0. Manchester City have a far better squad and a better manager than Spurs - they are miles ahead - despite Spurs signing Richarlison and Perisic - two players I’m sure Pep was dreaming of.

roonster09

Scout
I know I am.

Because City won 4 of the last 5 doesn’t mean they will win the next 4. They might win the next two though, and then stop, or they might have won 4 out of 5, and then stopped now. It is up to them to keep doing it, and until they do, then they haven’t. Right now, they haven’t, and as a result, nobody knows whether we are in a 5/6 year dynasty that fell off in 2022 or in a 15 year one. Even you.
Yes it doesn't mean they will win next 4, but it shows they are miles ahead of everyone bar Liverpool. It takes near perfect season from others to catch them or big implosion from both clubs.

It's easy to make arguments for anything, can Leicester win title? Yes, they have already won in last 7 years.

Can Fulham win title in 2023-24? Yes, because Leicester did it after winning championship.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
This is a properly insane argument. You’re essentially saying the past has zero basis on predicting how a team or individuals will perform in the future and all teams are now equal. Rhodri hasn’t stopped being Rhodri, De Bruyne hasn’t stopped being De Bruyne and Pep hasn’t stopped being one of the best managers around just because we all start from 0.
It’s not an insane argument at all. And you don’t know whether Rodri has stopped being Rodri until you see him go out this season and be Rodri again. Because that id the challenge that he and his teammates face, every season, and one that they have no guarantee of meeting. Martial did not go out and be Martial again because he scored 21 goals the previous season. Many said that Kane would not go out and be Kane again when he first scored 21 goals either. It was up to him to do it, and decide whether he would do it for 2 or 3 years, or the 7 or 8 that he has done.

And while Rodri and his mates are trying to maintain their standard, Son, Kulusevski and his mates are trying to improve theirs. As are others. You cannot say what is going to happen. Yes, Pep is one of the greatest managers around. But so is Conte. Or if you prefer, so that you can more easily see it for yourself - so was Klopp, and he and his team raised their level to one not seen before and beat Pep. Pep didn’t just withstand Liverpool on the basis that he is Pep now and forever more.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Only with a drop off from Liverpool and City (which can happen).

But they're probably as likely as all the rest (Chelsea, Arsenal etc)

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Yes it doesn't mean they will win next 4, but it shows they are miles ahead of everyone bar Liverpool. It takes near perfect season from others to catch them or big implosion from both clubs.

It's easy to make arguments for anything, can Leicester win title? Yes, they have already won in last 7 years.

Can Fulham win title in 2023-24? Yes, because Leicester did it after winning championship.
It doesn’t necessarily take a near perfect season from others to catch them. Certainly no more than it takes a near perfect season from them to maintain their dominance, which is just as hard for them every season as it is for a challenging team to perform to 100% of their abilities.

OpenIntrovert

Yes he can provided that the first team can maintain fitness throughout the season and the bench player abilities are close to the first team standards.

Tactically Conte is way more flexible and better than Pep and Klopp, so he can certainly challenge those 2. Its just about fitness and consistency.

roonster09

Scout
It doesn’t necessarily take a near perfect season from others to catch them. Certainly no more than it takes a near perfect season from them to maintain their dominance, which is just as hard for them every season as it is for a challenging team to perform to 100% of their abilities.
To get 95+ points, you need near perfect season.

They might get 98-99 points, for other teams 90 points is a huge task. For City it's a regular season, you can Liverpool in that list too.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Maybe, kinda, sorta, someday... If they will, they'll start from something like league / FA cups and maybe title race season after. They'll need constant progress and fully fit Harry throughout whole season.

Pep still looks like having the recipe how to stop anyone from reaching it.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
If they continue to back him all the way.

Porch was able to go toe to toe with City+Liverpool. But never got the funds to take them up a level. This time it should be different as they are settled in the new stadium. They will get a lot closer to Liverpool and us in terms of revenue this season. Plus Conte is more proven than Poch. Bright times ahead for Spurs and they could seriously challenge.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Simple question really. I’m not one of those who begins a season having already ring-fenced first and second place for City and Liverpool, every season is different and they will have to go out and do it all over again.

Now Spurs are, of course, ‘Spurs’ - but Antonio Conte is also Antonio Conte. Pochettino took them closer than ever, and to a man, much of their first XI can compete with any in the league. They has the highest scoring front two in the league last season, and have started well this summer.

Is it beyond Conte to get them seriously fighting for the PL title?
Short answer? Yes, Spurs will contend for the title this year. And I will put money

His teams «always» manage close to 90 points eventually. He came in during the middle of a season and managed a 2 points average. That is an average that would take them to 76 points in 38 games. His football is quite demanding (unlike Mourinho and Nuno), and improving a side in the middle of a season is not easy, and Conte too struggled at first.

My guess is that if he came in at june last year, all else being equal, he would have done even better. Probably even significantly better. Meaning over 80 points.

With the improvements they are about to make with some of the signings, and Conte having a full pre-season with them, I can see them pushing 90 points. I think we have seen in the past how one or two really good attackers can take a club really far (RvP/Rooney, Mahrez/Vardy, Suarez/Sturridge). Kane/Son is good enough to play for a team winning the title.

The big question is how CL-football every midweek will affect them.

Add to it;

- Mane leaving
- Uncertainty relating to the future of Salah
- Quite a few changes at City (Sterling, Jesus and possibly Bernardo leaving)

There could be a real chance this year for Spurs. And I like their odds!

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
If Kane can get an early start (he usually struggles early in the season) then they could at least make it interesting, but I'm afraid City are just too strong...

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
To get 95+ points, you need near perfect season.

They might get 98-99 points, for other teams 90 points is a huge task. For City it's a regular season, you can Liverpool in that list too.
For City, it is a near perfect season (as you described it), and for Liverpool too. Anything less than a near perfect season will not see them touch 99 points. You have to be near perfect to win every game. Credit to Liverpool and City who have done that 3 out of the last 4 seasons, although both teams have had far from near perfect seasons in that period too, which demonstrates that it cannot just be given to them before they go out and walk it.

And I’m not talking about Leicester winning here either: I’m talking about other top teams winning. A team can be ‘better’ than another, but anything short of their best and another top team can beat them. On a micro level, we see it every Saturday even. Yes, I get that Spurs haven’t won a PL title, but I don’t see how Conte coming in and building a title winning team is any different to Klopp coming and quickly doing the same at a team that hasn’t won it for 30 years.

Ultimately, City or Liverpool may well, even quite likely, win the league this season - my point is, it is not to the point where nobody else may as well turn up, or simply start from August trying to get 3rd. If Spurs, or Chelsea, or even United, won the league next season, it would be unexpected (as of now), but it wouldn’t be spoken of as some sort of massive footballing shock. They are all good teams with good players and good managers too. None of them are Leicester. It was not considered a ‘shock’ when Liverpool won the league after 30 years, or even the previous year when they nearly won it. In fact, football experts largely declared that they ‘expected’ Liverpool to win the league as that season drew to a close. They expected it for no reason other than what was happening in front of their eyes, not because Liverpool were seen as a team that always wins the league. The season prior, they finished 4th, and again, they hadn’t won it for decades.

It’s up to Liverpool and City to go out and reach these ridiculous standards again. At some point, they won’t, snd nobody knows at this point whether that will be this season, in 3 seasons, or in 8. They have to just keep coming out every August and doing it over and over, which is a huge challenge.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Simple question really. I’m not one of those who begins a season having already ring-fenced first and second place for City and Liverpool, every season is different and they will have to go out and do it all over again.

Now Spurs are, of course, ‘Spurs’ - but Antonio Conte is also Antonio Conte. Pochettino took them closer than ever, and to a man, much of their first XI can compete with any in the league. They has the highest scoring front two in the league last season, and have started well this summer.

Is it beyond Conte to get them seriously fighting for the PL title?
Leicester won it so...

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
They’re worth a cheeky tenner

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Leicester won it so...
And Spurs are no Leicester. It would not be called the Greatest Footballing Story Ever Told of Conte wins the league with the squad he has. Everyone would just shrug and say Spurs are a good side. Likewise Chelsea. Everyone thinks Liverpool and City are ‘better’, yet no one will call it a shock if Chelsea finished above either.