Can Liverpool actually replace Salah?

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
Disagree.
We had a number of better players than Salah or Henry at United
Who? I can only make an argument for Rooney or Ronaldo possibly being in that conversation with Salah....Henry was on a whole different level to anyone else throughout the PL timeline, bar that one freakish season that Suarez had.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Yeah but they probably won't. They hit the jackpot with him. He's a generational player.
Yep. Either they get lucky and replace him or you will see a huge drop off. In 2-3 years, I could see Liverpool becoming a midtable side with the dropoff of Salah, VVD, and Allison.

T_Model101

Replace him? Not remotely.
But as the highest profile Muslim player in the world, the Saudi's will see him as the jewel in the crown that they need.
It all depends how Liverpool spend the massive bag of money they're going to get

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Wonder who's getting Osimhen?

O.k he's not Salah (but then said above who is) but you feel that's the sort of forward who'd keep them up there.

He surely wouldn't turn down sides offering CL football just to sign for Chelsea because Drogba was his idol growing up?!

jadaba

It depends what you mean by 'replace'. There are very few players of his calibre, and the chances of Liverpool being able to obtain any such player and have him fit into their team and deliver in a manner comparable to Salah, well that seems pretty unlikely and the experiences of many clubs tell us that it's rare, regardless of the big budget they may boast if he leaves in the summer.

He's the kind of player whose contributions are perhaps more effectively replaced by reshaping the team's attacking system. I believe that Klopp is certainly capable of restructuring his team to ensure that Salah's goals come from others, but given the pretty underwhelming returns of Liverpool's newer attackers so far, I expect that there'll be an immediate trough before he's able to find the formula and system that endures.

Maniron

Salah is honestly the best player in the PL and has been for a while. Only Henry is above him in my honest opinion, in terms of the league. Can't be replaced, the best hope is to change the attacking dynamic to spread the burden.
Bowen with TAA behind him would come closr

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Bowen with TAA behind him would come closr
Ye and I heard the commentator say in Liverpools game that klopp said Bowen is his favourite player outside of his team. Can see them going after him.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Wonder who's getting Osimhen?

O.k he's not Salah (but then said above who is) but you feel that's the sort of forward who'd keep them up there.

He surely wouldn't turn down sides offering CL football just to sign for Chelsea because Drogba was his idol growing up?!
You’d think they’d go for a right sided attacker though not a number 9. Someone like Bowen could replace Salah.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Who? I can only make an argument for Rooney or Ronaldo possibly being in that conversation with Salah....Henry was on a whole different level to anyone else throughout the PL timeline, bar that one freakish season that Suarez had.
George Best
Ronaldo
Charlton
Cantona
Denis Law
RVN
Rooney

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
what a clutch player this guy is.
Manual or automatic?

Basically the xG for his chance from that angle would've been very low indeed for majority of other players
You mean he scored a good goal that poorer strikers might have missed?

And in summary he will be hard to replace?

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
George Best
Ronaldo
Charlton
Cantona
Denis Law
RVN
Rooney
Agree to disagree, nothing wrong with that. I'd only have Best up there with Henry, going on old footage and what others have said about him.

Righteous Steps

Scholes
Giggs
Scholes and Giggs won’t go down as good as Salah and Henry in the PL when all said and done, only one of them won a PFA Player of The Year at any time, their peaks wasn’t high enough to be in that conversation of 3-4 greatest players to play in the league. Ronaldo Henry Salah are.

ti vu

Like for like? No. However, they seem to have a knack of replacing great attacker with great attacker lately. Torres with Suarez then Salah (They went after Salah and lost out to Chelsea the first time). Not seamlessly but it's quite very good when comparing to us, who haven't had a forward hitting the same height as some of the more prolific forwards under SAF. Drogba and Diego Costa being Chelsea best forward over the past two decades are damning in comparison.

Last edited:

tomaldinho1

I don’t think so, he’s such a dependable player the drop off from him to almost anyone is massive. They’ll need to replace VVD soon as well, think this season might be their last real shot for a while at the league as Salah I reckon will move for big money to Saudi.

iamdpef

Agree to disagree, nothing wrong with that. I'd only have Best up there with Henry, going on old footage and what others have said about him.
I'm no Ronaldo fan boy but Ronaldo's 07/08 season is better than anything Henry has ever produced in the PL. Won the PL and the CL, along with the Ballon d'Or. I've never seen another player have any season like that in the PL.

Henry was a ridiculous player though. Always felt he was far better than Ruud despite Ruud producing similar goalscoring numbers from 2002-2004

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
I don’t think so, he’s such a dependable player the drop off from him to almost anyone is massive. They’ll need to replace VVD soon as well, think this season might be their last real shot for a while at the league as Salah I reckon will move for big money to Saudi.
It would be smart for L'pool to sell Salah for 150 & reinvest the money wisely. Salah is one of a kind in my mind & it's very doubtful he can be replaced like for like but buying three young quality players would put them in great shape.

Wilt

One of the best PL strikers ever ….unreplaceable

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Scholes and Giggs won’t go down as good as Salah and Henry in the PL when all said and done, only one of them won a PFA Player of The Year at any time, their peaks wasn’t high enough to be in that conversation of 3-4 greatest players to play in the league. Ronaldo Henry Salah are.
WTF - Giggs has 13 PL winners medals over 20 years, Scholes has 11 and you think they're not in the top 3-4

marktan

They got lucky with Mane, Salah and Firmino. Buying players that have the raw ingredients for a lower price is a risky move that more often than not doesnt pay off.

Nowadays you spend 70m and get an Antony or a Darwin.

Righteous Steps

WTF - Giggs has 13 PL winners medals over 20 years, Scholes has 11 and you think they're not in the top 3-4
No it’s not just about team honours it’s about individual performances, if you just go on honours then there are more decorated PL players than Henry and Ronaldo, wouldn’t take any of them above them if asked for the best player in PL history though.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
No it’s not just about team honours it’s about individual performances, if you just go on honours then there are more decorated PL players than Henry and Ronaldo, wouldn’t take any of them above them if asked for the best player in PL history though.
To be at a club for that length of time and be that successful you have to be pretty consistently good, especially under SAF, Ronaldo left well before his peak as a player which clouds people's judgement, his overall career is as good as it gets but his early PL years were much like Garnacho's, Henry is definitely top 3 IMO, maybe even first

As for influence, Keane is mentioned but for me the most influential player in PL history was Cantona, he was the catalyst that made United what they became

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
They won't be able to replace him and they will be weaker without him. However, regardless of whoever they get, Klopp will still get the team as a whole functioning because he's too good a manager.

Cloud7

Salah is one of the best players in the history of the PL, so while it's not impossible that they can find someone who does a similar job, it's inevitable that there will be a drop off. Similar story to when Ronaldo left us (I know we didn't directly replace him but almost anyone that year would have caused a drop off), Arsenal with Henry, Real with Ronaldo, etc. It's inevitable when you have such an individually good player.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Will be a sad day when the last of our fantastic front three leaves. It’s also hard to imagine us replacing him with any one player, although I guess we didn’t expect to replace Suarez’ goals either.

In any case, it’ll be interesting to see what happens in the summer if Saudi offers 150m again or something like it.

I’d be inclined to take it if all of it went towards new signings. Not because I want to see him leave but if the alternative is letting him go on a free the next year.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
RVN no, near equal in goalscoring and a far lesser footballer and playmaker.
SALAH

YearsTeamApps(Gls)
2010–2012Al Mokawloon38(11)
2012–2014Basel47(9)
2014–2016Chelsea13(2)
2015Fiorentina (loan)16(6)
2015–2016Roma (loan)34(14)
2016–2017Roma31(15)
2017–Liverpool236(149)

RVN

YearsTeamApps(Gls)
1993–1997Den Bosch69(17)
1997–1998Heerenveen31(13)
1998–2001PSV Eindhoven67(62)
2001–2006Manchester United150(95)
2006–2010Real Madrid68(46)
2010–2011Hamburger SV36(12)
2011–2012Málaga28(4)
Total449(249)

They are in the same boat.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Firstly PL.

Secondly I don't really think any of those mentioned that were in the PL era were as soon as Salah in the pl.
Ronaldo
Rooney
RVN
Cantona

...not as good as Salah ??

Hammondo

Keane has a bigger argument than Scholes for me if we’re talking actual impact in a team and peak performances while they were in this league.
That's fair, but tbh I think all 3 would struggle to make it into the top 4.