Can we finally hit 70 goals in the league (post-SAF)?

friend

So since SAF, we've never hit 70 goals in the league which for me (and I'm sure most of you) is just another example of how far below standard we've performed in these 7 seasons.

This season, we're at Played: 16 and Scored: 33 - so around 2 per game which suggests 70 goals is a real possibility but can we sustain it? Our poor home stats (P: 9 GF: 12 incl. six in one game) are negated by our astonishing away stats (P: 7 GF: 21 - three in each game bar Leicester where we could/should have scored 4+). What's more likely to happen in terms of goals scored only (not necessarily points picked up)?:
1) home/away balances out (whether they reverse like you would expect normally or stay like this)
2) Home form picks up, away remains same - heck of a season incoming !
3) Away form drops, home remains same - would be massively disappointing

This is also our second highest return after 16 games, bettered only by 17/18 when we had 36 goals by now (we scored 68 by the end so that's an absolutely crap return of 32 goals in the next 22 games). And during no other season did we have a goal per game ratio (~1.84 gpg = 29 or 30 goals after 16 games) that translated into 70 goals by season end, so we're clearly doing very well.

Just to post some stats regarding our goal scoring in these 7 seasons compared to our Big Six rivals:

Season
Goals ScoredRank among Big SixTeams with 70+ goals
2013/2014645/6Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea
2014/2015624/6Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal
2015/2016496/6Man City
2016/2017546/6Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham
2017/2018685/6Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham
2018/2019655/6Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal
2019/2020664/6Man City, Liverpool

Our goal scoring rank each season (under a variety of managers) is nothing short of disgraceful and every team has scored 70+ at least twice bar us as well.

We're all excited about the rest of the season (already a good sign) and regardless of whether we mount an actual title challenge or not, are we finally going to hit 70 league goals? Also, can we finally be at least the third highest scorers among our rivals (Man City and Liverpool are always going to be hard to match as seen by their recent records and also in the table above)?

Bruno - please stay fit !

PS. There was a thread before the season started that targeted 80 goals but I wanted to compare us to earlier seasons, our rivals and actual progress (merge please if you feel it's not too dissimilar). Also I think that's unrealistic unless you're challenging for the title. 80 League Goals | RedCafe.net

Most exciting thing about this season for me. Should be clearing the target comfortably, and I'm hoping to see Fernandes and Rashford both hit 20+ in the league, which would also be a first since Sir Alex.

Will never forget that 2016/17 season, literally spent 150 million pounds plus a Zlatan to Mourinhoball their way to fewer goals than BOURNEMOUTH.

lysglimt

Scout
Without a doubt - we will do it.

It only requires about 1.8 goals pr game - since the Arsenal-game we have averaged 2.4 goals - and I can't see us scoring less than 2 goals in many games...it's the defence that might cost us

El Zoido

Barring an injury crisis we’ll do it. Reckon we’ve got some big wins in us, we create so many chances every game. Scored 6 against Leeds and could have scored 15. I can see this team sticking 7 or 8 goals past someone on the right day.