Captain Material

Stadjer

Jones should be playing. Everyone knows how good he is bar a few high profile mistakes.
If Jones developed the way Sir Alex expected him or even just developed normally without all the injuries he would have been ideal to be captain

GlasgowCeltic

I think Varane is the only player in the squad I'd always want to play if he's fit, so him I guess

TrustInOle

Ronaldo for the rest of the season, Bruno when Ronaldo isn't playing. Have to say, very slim pickings when it comes to leadership throughout our squad, atleast looking in from the outside. So much so, that Rashford or Pogba would be my third choice.

Oranges038

Again I disagree on this. A shit manager will make the squad look like this but the players are full of personnel who arent' afraid to take ownership. Ronaldo, Bruno, Varane, Rashford are obvious examples. I think Poch will get Maguire playing to a level he's capable at with his potential and that can give him confidence to be more vocal again, same for Shaw. No one can have a team full of captains but we have enough big characters in our XI.
Some of these guys are on their 3rd or 4th manager at this stage. If they haven't stood up yet, they never will. Shaw is a prime example of someone who has downed tools under two managers now, can almost guarantee he'll do the same to the next guy.

I'll give you 3 players, Ronaldo, Bruno and maybe Varane but he's been a crock so far, it's hard to judge him yet. After that it would like asking the blind to tell the deaf what to do.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Some of these guys are on their 3rd or 4th manager at this stage. If they haven't stood up yet, they never will. Shaw is a prime example of someone who has downed tools under two managers now, can almost guarantee he'll do the same to the next guy.

I'll give you 3 players, Ronaldo, Bruno and maybe Varane but he's been a crock so far, it's hard to judge him yet. After that it would like asking the blind to tell the deaf what to do.
I see what you mean but the characters are really reflective of the managerial outlook. Take Hojberg in Mourinho's brief pomp, he looked a completely different mindset to what he showed under Nuno. I have little doubt Conte will bring him out to a higher level again.

Take the entirety of the Chelsea squad under Lampard and see how they look suddenly under Tuchel. Rudiger looks like he's climbed 2-3 levels. I think we will see the real potential of our characters under Poch. He will be able to maximize that mentality which is probably hidden now under a lack of confidence for those in shite form, like Shaw and Maguire. And as I said others like Ronaldo Rashford Bruno are never ones to hide anyway.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Maguire is not a captain material either. He looks like the guy who is not that bright and got bullied in the class back in the days.
Not sure we need the character assassinations of him.
He just looks like a player who needs to focus on his own game and rebuild his confidence. I think losing the captaincy will be a weight off him.

Laurencio

1. Cristiano Ronaldo
2. David De Gea
3. Bruno Fernandes
4. Marcus Rashford

Cristiano is the oldest, most senior, most winning player on the squad. He has the longest history at ManUtd, bar De Gea and has the highest expectations of professionalism. De Gea is the longest serving player who is still involved with the first team and clearly has developed the kind of aggression you need from a goalkeeping captain. He's been a quiet little guy for a long time, but he's been far more emotive and vocal with his defence lately. Bruno has the potential to be a future captain, but he's very new to the club - and Ronaldo is clearly the right choice. Marcus Rashford has all the qualities to become a great leader on the pitch, but he needs to be more consistent and lead by performances - a bit early for him right now though.

Maguire has clearly not been up to the job, and his performances are some of the worst on the pitch. He's the opposite of someone who leads by example.

Lentwood

Maguire.

If there's anyone on this forum who thinks Harry Maguire isn't still one of the first names on the team sheet for whichever manager we appoint, you're just wrong.

Plus, just whilst we're having this pointless debate...what sense does it make giving it Ronaldo, who is 36 and those suggesting Bruno...I'd argue he has been as poor as anybody this year

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Let's be honest from the outside only Maguire and Bruno look proper captain material. And i'm pushing it with Bruno mainly because he's got a big gob.

Look at the other 'candidates'.

Ronaldo - Relatively quiet and an Individualist.

Pogba - Flakey. Still cant believe a lot of fans not long ago were advocating him to be captain :houllier:

Matic - Finished, barely plays.

De Gea - A mute.

God i miss that 1994 Double winners team. Nearly every player was captain material.
From the outside Maguire doesn't look like a captain material at all. Cristiano is certainly not an all-time great captain but he had captained Portugal for years with a relative success. Bruno is certainly an option though.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Varane and, weirdly enough, Donny look like potentially good captains but obviously they haven't been here long enough to justify it (and with Donny whenever he'll even be a starter for us is a huge if). It's funny that Donny has actually already captained United.

0le

I'd pick Varane. Classy player and already has the composure to lead the defence.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
How would Dave go about moving away from his line to contest decisions.
Yeah, because gks are never captains. Buffon, Iker, K.Schmeichel, Lloris...
That is nonsense argument. By that standard best case have central midfielders, right?

poleglass red

I wouldn't have Bruno as captain, better to let him concentrate on his own game ,he drifts too much in games, plus how can he dish out a bollicking when he's giving the ball away so frequently. We severely lack captain material, Ronaldo is an obvious choice but I'd go with Varane, only issue is his fitness. Certainly an area we need to improve on ie lack of leaders, hopefully we can address that when we finally sign a decent DM.

lex talionis

Naming a new captain isn’t a high priority right now, but if the slate were clean I’d go with De Gea, then Varane.

Rolaholic

Ronaldo until he leaves in a year or 2, then maybe Bruno or Rashford.

Could definitely see Varane growing into a leadership role when he's back out there regularly

BlueHaze

Why not De Gea? He's been here the longest and fills the role better than the joke that currently wears the armband.

micmac

Luke Shaw.

I don't think Bruno makes a good captain. He's too whiny, we need someone to to show a strong personality not throw their hands in the air when things aren't going their way. Since Ronaldo's arrival he's looked like a pup running behind a big dog looking for approval.

el3mel

Maguire.

If there's anyone on this forum who thinks Harry Maguire isn't still one of the first names on the team sheet for whichever manager we appoint, you're just wrong.

Plus, just whilst we're having this pointless debate...what sense does it make giving it Ronaldo, who is 36 and those suggesting Bruno...I'd argue he has been as poor as anybody this year
What does that have to do with the fact Maguire is an awful captain ? Starter or not, he's a terrible captain and didn't deserve the arm band from the start.