Cardiac arrests on the pitch

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Surprised anyone that has had a collapse is allowed back on the field, not limited to Luton's captain.

Tyrion

how long have you been posting on here? ignorance certainly isn’t a bar.
Reading that I was surprised at how mature they were being and then saw that someone had set their bio to "hates women". :lol:

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I find this interesting. Along with the Christian Eriksen situation, too. I've been lurking for ages, but this prompted me to sign up.

Back in 2011, I had a heart attack. 2 stents later, I'd lost 25% of my heart muscle /efficiency, but had a decade of no further issues.

Recently, I'd been getting the atrial fibrillation (AF) issues as seen in Tom Lockyer during the playoff final. I was booked in for an ablation (which is what I assume he had), but we couldn't trigger my AF in the theatre, so couldn't ablate.

However, what we did trigger was a ventricular tachycardia (VT) which nearly caused me to black out and we were seconds from shocking me (they already have the pads on when you're undergoing procedures like this). Fortunately I didn't need this and came back myself. I've since had another 2 stents done to try to protect me from restricted blood flow.

Without wanting to feed rumours, it looks like this is what happened to Tom today - he went into ventricular tachycardia but couldn't recover from it, this crashes your blood pressure and often leads to arrest.

Fortunately, on the pitch in a football stadium is one of the better places for this to happen - you have medics and a defibrillator on site - as we saw with Eriksen and previously with Muamba.

Unfortunately, this often happens when you're alone or asleep, so you never get the help before it kills you.

I assume Tom Lockyer will now have to have an ICD (defibrillator / pacemaker) like Eriksen - which could allow him to continue playing. I hope to have one implanted in the new year as an insurance policy for me.

However, you can imagine what this has done for my anxiety levels this evening!

The problem is that these things are hard to diagnose - and the diagnosis process is quite stressful, involving adrenaline injections which come with their own risk (see above ref my failed ablation - it was the adrenaline that pushed me into VT). Hearing the nurse call 'he's in VT, 300 joules, stand clear' is not what you want to hear!
fecking hell man. Be well mate.

Manncunian

Unheard of? These are just the players that died, with the vast majority being heart issues. The list does not start in 2020.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_association_football_players_who_died_during_their_careers
The British Heart Foundation themselves do somewhat back up what @Belisarius says.

How does Covid-19 affect your heart?

An extract from the BHF website:

“Compared to uninfected people, this group was around 40% more likely to develop cardiovascular disease and five times more likely to die during the 18 months afterwards. People who had experienced severe infection were at even higher risk.

Both in the short-term and long-term, those previously infected were at higher risk of the following heart and circulatory system problems:
They were also at higher risk of stroke and atrial fibrillation in the short-term, but not the long-term.

Covid-19 can affect your heart and circulatory system in many ways. For example, it can lead to a faster heart rate, atrial fibrillation, blood clots, heart damage due to a lack of oxygen and nutrients, inflammation of the heart muscle and lining, or Takotsubo syndrome (broken heart syndrome).”

Long-term cardiovascular outcomes of COVID-19

But as others have said, these unfortunate events have happened since time began. You’d need to ascertain whether nor not they are happening more frequently.

If you have issue with what I’ve posted here, please take it up with the BHF as I’m only relaying the information since the topic was brought up in this thread by others.

Last edited:

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
The British Heart Foundation themselves do somewhat back up what @Belisarius says.

“Compared to uninfected people, this group was around 40% more likely to develop cardiovascular disease and five times more likely to die during the 18 months afterwards. People who had experienced severe infection were at even higher risk.

Both in the short-term and long-term, those previously infected were at higher risk of the following heart and circulatory system problems:
They were also at higher risk of stroke and atrial fibrillation in the short-term, but not the long-term.

Covid-19 can affect your heart and circulatory system in many ways. For example, it can lead to a faster heart rate, atrial fibrillation, blood clots, heart damage due to a lack of oxygen and nutrients, inflammation of the heart muscle and lining, or Takotsubo syndrome (broken heart syndrome).”

But as others have said, these unfortunate events have happened since time began. You’d need to ascertain whether nor not they are happening more frequently.

If you have issue with what I’ve posted here, please take it up with the BHF as I’m only relaying the information since the topic was brought up in this thread by others.
My wife (38yo) was diagnosed with Arrhythmia a few weeks ago when getting her routine checkup for her contraception. She's had these checks once a year for about 20 years and it's never been picked up before, so can only assume its developed over the last year. She did pick up covid in that time, so does make you wonder if its related.

antsmithmk

Hates women.
how long have you been posting on here? ignorance certainly isn’t a bar.
What? No-one knew what happened at 7 last night. I certainly didn't anyway. I don't know enough to be saying whether he should or should not be allowed to play football.

Marcelinho87

The footballing organisations need to come together and remove the choice from these players.

Sorry but if you’re collapsing on the pitch then you shouldn’t be allowed to carry on.

I think Italy is on the right path with not allowing players fitted with an ICD to play again.

BootsyCollins

I dont know if its any relation or anything, but i have a good friend who is now chief at a departement in a hospital that get patients with heart problems.

He says a large part of the patients are relative fit men who have been pushing their bodies while carrying a virus.

OmarUnited4ever

The footballing organisations need to come together and remove the choice from these players.

Sorry but if you’re collapsing on the pitch then you shouldn’t be allowed to carry on.

I think Italy is on the right path with not allowing players fitted with an ICD to play again.
You are right on Italy and that's why Eriksen had to leave Inter.

I think what needs to be done is not necessarily a ban, but take it seriously and come up with measures to detect these situations earlier and make an informed decision to force retirements if needed.

Dan_F

Huh? I’ve not denied any of that. I agree with what you posted. But that doesn’t mean the issues were unheard of prior to Covid. One of our own former players collapsed on the pitch in 2019.

Manncunian

Huh? I’ve not denied any of that. I agree with what you posted. But that doesn’t mean the issues were unheard of prior to Covid. One of our own former players collapsed on the pitch in 2019.
No sorry I wasn’t saying you were denying any of it. I agree with what you have stated as well :lol:. All good.

Dan_F

Scary amount of Nigerians at one point there, but not seen many in the last 2 years, which hopefully is positive they have improved their medical checks.
Hard to say seen as the list is only those that have died. It might be that they’ve improved requirements around first aiders or equipment being at the games.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Myocarditis after viral infection has been known about for a very long time and is associated with a load of different viruses. This definitely can be the trigger for an eventual arrythmia or cardiomyopathy. So you are right that viruses have a role to play. But that’s not to say that covid has a bigger role to play than any one of the loads of other viruses that have been circulating for decades.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I just did a first aid training on Wednesday and the instructor said it quite explicitly.

"In the general population, sports-related, sudden death from any cause is 0.5 to 2.1 per 100,000 yearly. Sports-related, sudden deaths are higher in elite athletes with an incidence of 1:8,253 per year per the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). NCAA Division I male basketball players have a 1:5200 incidence of sudden death."

I believe it's not just an American thing.

Last edited:

DaiHatsu

I'd be very wary of that BHF extract. It's quite old information now and came from peak panic / knee-jerk times. Much of that could also be said of many other seasonal and respiratory viruses - plus there are still some serious questions to be asked about mRNA vaccinations and any potential impacts they could be having.

However, I don't think we've seen an increase in cases, but we are now more aware of them. 24/7 media coverage, modern camera phones and the internet mean we're more likely to see and hear about these things as they happen.

My experience does tell me that it's VERY hard to diagnose these things - particularly issues with the 'electrical' systems, which are the ones most likely to cause these critical situations.

I stand to be corrected by medics on this, but the only way you could diagnose what happened yesterday, or what happened to Eriksen and Muamba would be stress echocardiograms and 3d mapping under stress. These are pretty horrible procedures and come with some moderate risks (hence me going VT whilst undergoing mapping) and have fairly lengthy recovery times. In theory, you can return to work after a couple of days. In reality, it wipes you out for a week. I slept for almost 3 solid days post stress echo testing.

If they do give Tom Lockyer an implant, as Eriksen has, there's probably no reason why he shouldn't continue to play. Personally, I probably wouldn't, though... from my side of things, I'm having to consider my hobbies as I've been doing short-course triathlons for a number of years, along with cycling time trials, but I may have to put those days behind me.

Reactions: sizzling sausages

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Myocarditis after viral infection has been known about for a very long time and is associated with a load of different viruses. This definitely can be the trigger for an eventual arrythmia or cardiomyopathy. So you are right that viruses have a role to play. But that’s not to say that covid has a bigger role to play than any one of the loads of other viruses that have been circulating for decades.
This was going to be my point. Any risk associated to covid would surely be similar with any relatable virus that can affect the body in similar ways. If you push yourself to the limit anything going on in your body that's a tiny risk will suddenly be a much bigger one.

If there were suddenly loads more people having heart problems during events like marathons since covid you'd suspect there's a problem there. Don't think you can draw much conclusion from isolated incidents of footballers collapsing, aside from whether or not there needs to be greater restrictions/testing in place.

Manncunian

This was going to be my point. Any risk associated to covid would surely be similar with any relatable virus that can affect the body in similar ways. If you push yourself to the limit anything going on in your body that's a tiny risk will suddenly be a much bigger one.

If there were suddenly loads more people having heart problems during events like marathons since covid you'd suspect there's a problem there. Don't think you can draw much conclusion from isolated incidents of footballers collapsing, aside from whether or not there needs to be greater restrictions/testing in place.
Well he did suffer with a “serious bout” of Covid in 2021. But that was two years ago. May have had it again since, but who knows. Maybe he’s had slight lingering issues ever since, but nobody can know for sure.

The BHF website itself states there’s nearly 100,000 deaths involving heart conditions above what would be expected since the pandemic began. “On average, that’s over 500 additional deaths per week related to cardiovascular disease.”

COVID-19 Surges Linked to Spike in Heart Attacks

I’ll leave it to the research scientists etc to figure this one out and delve further into the mechanisms behind covid infections and the heart.

DaiHatsu

I'll once again call for caution on the BHF figures.

My experience (sorry to keep repeating this!) is not that the virus (or even vaccines) are the cause here - it's our REACTION to the virus that is the cause. My GP stopped monitoring my condition because of pandemic measures more or less shutting down non-Covid healthcare for 2 or more years. Even using a private GP to express some concerns only generated questions about 'have you had Covid, have you had your boosters?' - and I was fobbed off with 'you just need to learn not to push so hard when exercising'. It took until this year for BUPA to get me properly tested and find my ejection fraction had fallen from 45% to a critical 32%. It's very easy for people fall into that 100,000 excess cardiac related death statistic just because nobody was available to see them and because we were too keen to blame covid for everything. (And for clarity here, I haven't knowingly had a covid infection and we can rule out mRNA in my case as I only ever had the AZ 'viral vector' vaccines).

I love the BHF. They've helped me a lot. I raise money for them every year... but they haven't covered themselves with glory in their covid messaging - they have to toe the official line or risk losing funding.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Well he did suffer with a “serious bout” of Covid in 2021. But that was two years ago. May have had it again since, but who knows. Maybe he’s had slight lingering issues ever since, but nobody can know for sure.

The BHF website itself states there’s nearly 100,000 deaths involving heart conditions above what would be expected since the pandemic began. “On average, that’s over 500 additional deaths per week related to cardiovascular disease.”

I’ll leave it to the research scientists etc to figure this one out and delve further into the mechanisms behind covid infections and the heart.
Yeah, although I don't find those stats entirely surprising. It's all part if the reason why we have vaccines/jabs and why covid was such a big problem in the first place.

I think the question in the first instance is whether clubs and the authorities are doing enough to protect players. Especially where they have a known history of problems

Manncunian

I'll once again call for caution on the BHF figures.

I love the BHF. They've helped me a lot. I raise money for them every year... but they haven't covered themselves with glory in their covid messaging - they have to toe the official line or risk losing funding.
Since you are questioning the credentials of a charitable organisation such as the British Heart Foundation, for balance, could you let us know what your credentials are? It would help us to understand how much importance to attach to your claim. Otherwise it’s just a random opinion on the internet instructing people to ignore/take caution with information from what is widely regarded as a reputable charity. Without sounding flippant, suffering with a heart condition doesn’t make the person a cardiologist, just as having cancer doesn’t make someone an oncologist.

In terms of “towing the official line”, as far as I understand they receive funding only from donations, and not from the government? Or are you able to show us the link between their funding and there being any conflicts of interest in their messaging? I don’t quite understand what funding they risk losing?

Even if they did receive gov funding, I haven’t seen any official line from the government, nor the NHS, regarding covid and heart health. Are you able to share this official line? They don’t seem overly concerned about Covid since we can’t even get booster jabs anymore unless you’re over 65, yet anyone over 18 can get a flu jab.

If anything, it appears as if the BHF are going against the grain in their covid messaging compared to the government and NHS. If you can demonstrate otherwise though then please do. I could well just be missing it and I’m currently unable to find it.

Simply looking for clarification on what’s been stated. Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on the above.

Last edited:

Loon

:lol:
I truly hope this lad recovers and is able to resume his career. Must have been terrifying for his family.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

You’re doing this thing again where you share scientific literature without apparently reading it. The IHF very clearly give what they believe to be the main reasons for the increase in cardiac mortality. And it’s not the effect of the virus on the heart. Have a read of what you just linked. They talk about a big increase in ambulance response times and a decline in the management of all the conditions that cause heart disease (e.g. hypertension). These are barn door, obvious reasons for an increase in cardiac mortality.

They then speculate on a possible link between the illness itself and bad cardiac outcomes but this is a) unproven and b) mainly driven by serious cases. Which involve people being admitted to ICU. And admission to ICU has always been associated with poor cardiac outcomes after discharge.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I'd be very wary of that BHF extract. It's quite old information now and came from peak panic / knee-jerk times. Much of that could also be said of many other seasonal and respiratory viruses - plus there are still some serious questions to be asked about mRNA vaccinations and any potential impacts they could be having.

However, I don't think we've seen an increase in cases, but we are now more aware of them. 24/7 media coverage, modern camera phones and the internet mean we're more likely to see and hear about these things as they happen.

My experience does tell me that it's VERY hard to diagnose these things - particularly issues with the 'electrical' systems, which are the ones most likely to cause these critical situations.

I stand to be corrected by medics on this, but the only way you could diagnose what happened yesterday, or what happened to Eriksen and Muamba would be stress echocardiograms and 3d mapping under stress. These are pretty horrible procedures and come with some moderate risks (hence me going VT whilst undergoing mapping) and have fairly lengthy recovery times. In theory, you can return to work after a couple of days. In reality, it wipes you out for a week. I slept for almost 3 solid days post stress echo testing.

If they do give Tom Lockyer an implant, as Eriksen has, there's probably no reason why he shouldn't continue to play. Personally, I probably wouldn't, though... from my side of things, I'm having to consider my hobbies as I've been doing short-course triathlons for a number of years, along with cycling time trials, but I may have to put those days behind me.
Just curious what kind of issues you’ve got going on with your ticker? And what kind of treatment you’ve had

MassVolto

Supports
Milan
I just did a first aid training on Wednesday and the instructor said it quite explicitly.

"In the general population, sports-related, sudden death from any cause is 0.5 to 2.1 per 100,000 yearly. Sports-related, sudden deaths are higher in elite athletes with an incidence of 1:8,253 per year per the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). NCAA Division I male basketball players have a 1:5200 incidence of sudden death."

I believe it's not just an American thing.
I asked source not word of mouth

DaiHatsu

Since you are questioning the credentials of a charitable organisation such as the British Heart Foundation, for balance, could you let us know what your credentials are? It would help us to understand how much importance to attach to your claim. Otherwise it’s just a random opinion on the internet instructing people to ignore/take caution with information from what is widely regarded as a reputable charity. Without sounding flippant, suffering with a heart condition doesn’t make the person a cardiologist, just as having cancer doesn’t make someone an oncologist.

In terms of “towing the official line”, as far as I understand they receive funding only from donations, and not from the government? Or are you able to show us the link between their funding and there being any conflicts of interest in their messaging? I don’t quite understand what funding they risk losing?

Even if they did receive gov funding, I haven’t seen any official line from the government, nor the NHS, regarding covid and heart health. Are you able to share this official line? They don’t seem overly concerned about Covid since we can’t even get booster jabs anymore unless you’re over 65, yet anyone over 18 can get a flu jab.

If anything, it appears as if the BHF are going against the grain in their covid messaging compared to the government and NHS. If you can demonstrate otherwise though then please do. I could well just be missing it and I’m currently unable to find it.

Simply looking for clarification on what’s been stated. Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on the above.

I'm afraid it's attitudes like this that are causing so much anguish for many thousands who have long term health issues as a result of an obsession with a single issue.

Massive amounts of group think, protecting incomes and reputations, lies, obfuscations and all backed by those who have come to treat covid and vaccines like a religion.

I won't be giving you any more replies on this issue.

mjstokes85

Let's put this in perspective, it is still incredibly rare that anything like this happens. You are more likely to die in an accident to and from the football match than you are to have this happen to you.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Manncunian

I'm afraid it's attitudes like this that are causing so much anguish for many thousands who have long term health issues as a result of an obsession with a single issue.

Massive amounts of group think, protecting incomes and reputations, lies, obfuscations and all backed by those who have come to treat covid and vaccines like a religion.

I won't be giving you any more replies on this issue.
You have ignored every single question put to you and I’m not sure why? I’ve sought clarification on your denouncement of the British Heart Foundation and their source of funding? Are you not able to provide this information?

Could you also clarify what attitude you are referring to?

It sounds to me like you are perhaps anti vaccine and believe covid to be a hoax? Saying vaccines and covid are being treated as a religion does sound somewhat unhinged.