Cardiff City v United U-18's

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Brandao was a late replacement for Oliver Gill but played up front with Anton Bryan with Matty James playing at the back alongside Scott Moffatt. This meant that United were without their two first choice central defenders with both Gill and Kenny Strickland unavailable. United had much of the first half and had the better chances, taking the lead on 20 minutes when a Eikrem corner was whipped in and Brandao jumped early at the near post to glance a header into the top corner. A well taken goal. On 40 minutes Moffatt had to leave the pitch after taking a knock and Ajose came on to replace him. Stewart moved to right back and McCormack moved into central defence.

Half time: Cardiff City 0 United 1

United had most of the play in the opening ten minutes of the second half and could have scored two or three goals. The United forwards were also being caught offside quite a bit as the Cardiff back four were playing a tight line high up the pitch. Cardiff then equalised on 56 minutes against the run of play when one of their players ran straight through the United defence and drilled a shot past Gary Woods giving the keeper no chance. On 66 minutes poor marking in the United defence allowed Cardiff to take the lead with a shot from eight yards. To be fair, Cardiff had been the stronger team since equalising but it was hard lines on the Reds as we didn't really deserve to be losing the game. Cardiff had only really had two shots on goal. On 70 minutes, Potts came on to replace Norwood who had faded on a very hot morning. Perhaps he was still a little tired from the CYC in Malaysia. Cardiff continued to dominate possession and their midfield was clearly the more dominant with Eikrem and Derbyshire unable to make any inroads. On 77 minutes Curran came on to replace Brandao who had played well. Ajose moved up front with Curran on the right wing. Then on 83 minutes Stewart gave away a penalty and Cardiff increased their lead from the spot. Three minutes later Cardiff made it 4-1 when they scored with a header at the back post from a corner. Things got worse two minutes later when when a cross from the left was bundled into the net.

Full Time: Cardiff City 5 United 1

Basically United had lost their shape in midfield and with one of our best midfielders, Matt James being used in defence, we seem to be outmuscled contributing to a poor second half. However, United were clearly the better team in the first half and should have converted more of their chances. But the scoreline flattered Cardiff who perhaps deserved to win...but 5-1 was very misleading.

Team: Woods, McCormack, Dudgeon, Moffatt, Brandao, James, Derbyshire, Eikrem, Bryan, Norwood, Stewart.

Subs: Ajose (4), Potts (10), Curran (5)

oskarutd

Brandao was a late replacement for Oliver Gill but played up front with Anton Bryan with Matty James playing at the back alongside Scott Moffatt. This meant that United were without their two first choice central defenders with both Gill and Kenny Strickland unavailable. United had much of the first half and had the better chances, taking the lead on 20 minutes when a Eikrem corner was whipped in and Brandao jumped early at the near post to glance a header into the top corner. A well taken goal. On 40 minutes Moffatt had to leave the pitch after taking a knock and Ajose came on to replace him. Stewart moved to right back and McCormack moved into central defence.

Half time: Cardiff City 0 United 1

United had most of the play in the opening ten minutes of the second half and could have scored two or three goals. The United forwards were also being caught offside quite a bit as the Cardiff back four were playing a tight line high up the pitch. Cardiff then equalised on 56 minutes against the run of play when one of their players ran straight through the United defence and drilled a shot past Gary Woods giving the keeper no chance. On 66 minutes poor marking in the United defence allowed Cardiff to take the lead with a shot from eight yards. To be fair, Cardiff had been the stronger team since equalising but it was hard lines on the Reds as we didn't really deserve to be losing the game. Cardiff had only really had two shots on goal. On 70 minutes, Potts came on to replace Norwood who had faded on a very hot morning. Perhaps he was still a little tired from the CYC in Malaysia. Cardiff continued to dominate possession and their midfield was clearly the more dominant with Eikrem and Derbyshire unable to make any inroads. On 77 minutes Curran came on to replace Brandao who had played well. Ajose moved up front with Curran on the right wing. Then on 83 minutes Stewart gave away a penalty and Cardiff increased their lead from the spot. Three minutes later Cardiff made it 4-1 when they scored with a header at the back post from a corner. Things got worse two minutes later when when a cross from the left was bundled into the net.

Full Time: Cardiff City 5 United 1

Basically United had lost their shape in midfield and with one of our best midfielders, Matt James being used in defence, we seem to be outmuscled contributing to a poor second half. However, United were clearly the better team in the first half and should have converted more of their chances. But the scoreline flattered Cardiff who perhaps deserved to win...but 5-1 was very misleading.

Team: Woods, McCormack, Dudgeon, Moffatt, Brandao, James, Derbyshire, Eikrem, Bryan, Norwood, Stewart.

Subs: Ajose (4), Potts (10), Curran (5)
Well, our lads just gave in after conceding and getting some off sides decisions against them. It really was easy for Cardiff in the end and the effort of our guys in the end non existent. It would have been much worse if the ref hadn´t shown us mercy and blown the wistle for full time.
Bulmer was an unused sub.

kevg

Saw Paul McGuiness interviewed about the game on MUTV and he was not happy! Said the players lacked character in the 2nd half and some of the them would have to greatly improve if they wanted careers in the game.

oskarutd

Saw Paul McGuiness interviewed about the game on MUTV and he was not happy! Said the players lacked character in the 2nd half and some of the them would have to greatly improve if they wanted careers in the game.
totally agree with him. Also said we have a big squad and if they play like that they will find it difficult to get a game. It puts doubt in everyones mind.
I don´t think that any player can be excluded from that critsism.

Cold_Boy

Manchester United's young players are in trouble after being humiliated last week at Cardiff City 5-1 in their U18 clash.

"I'm very disappointed," academy coach Paul McGuinness told MUTV. "In the first half we were totally in control and looked like we should have had more goals. But in the second half we folded. It was a very poor performance."

The match was played under baking sun in the Welsh capital but McGuinness said the conditions had little to do with the result.

"I don't think it was the weather. It was the attitude of our players - they showed a lack of character. It was a big disappointment and those performances put doubts in everyone's minds.

"They'd better improve. If they continue folding as easily as they did in the second half then they won't have a career in football.

"They need to know [the levels they showed today] are not the standards required to be a professional footballer... certainly not at Manchester United.

So are these kids actually any good or was this a reserves youth team or a one off performance?

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Manchester United's young players are in trouble after being humiliated last week at Cardiff City 5-1 in their U18 clash.

"I'm very disappointed," academy coach Paul McGuinness told MUTV. "In the first half we were totally in control and looked like we should have had more goals. But in the second half we folded. It was a very poor performance."

The match was played under baking sun in the Welsh capital but McGuinness said the conditions had little to do with the result.

"I don't think it was the weather. It was the attitude of our players - they showed a lack of character. It was a big disappointment and those performances put doubts in everyone's minds.

"They'd better improve. If they continue folding as easily as they did in the second half then they won't have a career in football.

"They need to know [the levels they showed today] are not the standards required to be a professional footballer... certainly not at Manchester United.

So are these kids actually any good or was this a reserves youth team or a one off performance?
A few comments........

The side is Woods, Moffatt/McCormack, Gill, Strickland, Dudgeon/Stewart, Norwood/Derbyshire, James, Eikrem, Ajose/Galbraith, Williams and either Brandao or Bryan.

Stewart can play virtually anywhere, Curran has just arrived, Galbraith is injured...

Yesterday, Moffatt and James were played out of position, Williams our most natural goalscorer was not available, Gill and Strickland injured, while Moffatt had been recovering from a knock in Malaysia....

So while we certainly capitulated.....there were some circumstances that need to be taken into account. I would also say that the majority of these lads were in the 16's last year and played some cracking football.....

Let's give them some time......

oskarutd

A few comments........

The side is Woods, Moffatt/McCormack, Gill, Strickland, Dudgeon/Stewart, Norwood/Derbyshire, James, Eikrem, Ajose/Galbraith, Williams and either Brandao or Bryan.

Stewart can play virtually anywhere, Curran has just arrived, Galbraith is injured...

Yesterday, Moffatt and James were played out of position, Williams our most natural goalscorer was not available, Gill and Strickland injured, while Moffatt had been recovering from a knock in Malaysia....

So while we certainly capitulated.....there were some circumstances that need to be taken into account. I would also say that the majority of these lads were in the 16's last year and played some cracking football.....

Let's give them some time......
You mean our best side?
Then I would have:
Amos, Moffatt/Stewart/McCormack, Gill, Strickland, Dudgeon, Eikrem/Derbyshire, Drinkwater, Evans, Galbraith,
Bryan and either Brandao or Williams.

Gill actually got ill during the night.
Moffatt, James and Norwood have played on serveral times as center backs, so they are capable there. McCormack was most likely playing there for the first time after Moffatt went off.

Their ability is not in question, but their caracter after this performance.
This is watershed for them, either they will show caracter or not.
I believe most of them will come through.
The second year academies are most to blame and need to bounce back the most, McCormack, Eikrem, Derbyshire and Bryan. Especially the first three.

PS18

are we all forgetting Welbeck? he's obviously going to be first-choice when he returns from the u17 world cup, he's a big miss at the minute.

hard to pin down a first-choice team, there are a lot of question marks over certain players' best positions. i'd say we were missing Amos, Strickland, Gill, Welbeck, Galbraith, Drinkwater and probably Evans from what would be our first-choice side - not ideal in any circumstances, even less so at the start of a season, with several players struggling with injury/fatigue and others playing out of position. Paul McGuinness is of course right to say what he's said, but i don't think there's massive cause for concern with this result. far too early to make any judgements.

Decotron

tbh, Stewart has always impressed me whenever ive seen him play...
Yeah bigtime, like the look of him. Someone else mentioned about the 2nd year lads, i hate to singleout one player but Eikrems attitude was terrible, he honestly bottled out of every tackle in the whole game. Youth teams go through phases like this but so far ths season they have looked v poor. On Wellbeck Id expect him to playing in the reserves and the youth cup this season.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
I wouldn't lose any sleep over one bad result. Our brilliant efforts in the Milk Cup and WYC shows the true face of these lads. A kick in the arse might not a bad thing if they respond the right way and learn from it.

oskarutd

I wouldn't lose any sleep over one bad result. Our brilliant efforts in the Milk Cup and WYC shows the true face of these lads. A kick in the arse might not a bad thing if they respond the right way and learn from it.
Actually this was so bad and unprofessional that they have to respond the right way and learn from that kick, otherwise they are not material for professional footballers. I believe and expect them to respond in the right way.

PS18

On Wellbeck Id expect him to playing in the reserves and the youth cup this season.
i'd be surprised if he's pushed up to the reserves full-time, he's still only 16 and unless there are a spate of loans this week, there are lots of players for the wing/striking positions already in the reserves (Martin, Barnes, Evans, Campbell, Brandy, Fagan).