Cardiff vs United 1974

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
This is a post from another forum from a Man Utd fan entitled 'The Legend'.

Very long but worth reading. I thought it might interest especially the older fans like fredthered.

I remember arriving from Paddington (see we had plenty of ****ney followers in those crap Div.2 days.) I was just a schoolboy and although I'd been to plenty of games at Old Trafford with my old fella I'd only been to a few tame aways at the time.

The Cardiff game was unlike anything I think I have ever seen before or
since. We expected an 'interesting' day to say the least but nothing
prepared 2 spotty kids for an afternoon of absolute mayhem, the likes of which, (I'm sure anyone who was there will heartily agree) has never been seen since, with perhaps the exception of Luton v Millwall or other such ground-breaking occasions.

United fans were largely untouchable in those days, sheer weight of numbers plus a ferocious bravado that wouldn't allow them to back down from any resistance, even the southern counterparts - Chelsea, West Ham and to some extent Millwall were still lagging behind in both exploits and organisation.

So it was with that air of self confidence we alighted the station.
"Manchester la la la" rang out all around as we sauntered and swaggered our way towards Ninian Park, our Summer Holiday homework problems left aside as we strutted our stuff with the big boys, the exhiliration of being surrounded by 100 or so ' grown men' of 18!

There we spotted a group of about 100 lads. A cheer went up, these were
more of our own we assumed. To this day I'll never forget the scene. A
handful of our 'comrades' from across the road ambled over, a reuniting
embrace was no doubt to follow as these old friends joined the throng.
Suddenly I noticed the crazed grin on the face of the approaching stranger and even with my limited knowledge of Football away trips, I had a feeling. all was not well.

Our mate with the mental mug simply smashed his fist into the face of one of our lads. "Bloody hell, they're Cardiff *******s" came the cry. The lone assailant then began wading in to at least ten of the United group, bodies were going down all around. His 99 or so mates did very little to assist this lone kamikaze mission - either they were terrified of the situation or maybe knew his capabilities. Maybe this was Frank the Legend from the newspaper stories on this board - perhaps Bluebirds on here will enlighten me.

Finally, the two groups snapped out of their frozen apathy and charged into each other with a manic relish. Now when people say 200 fans were fighting 'toe-to-toe' they usually mean half a dozen at most, with the rest milling about looking stupid, but this was as it sounded, with scenes reminiscent of a gargantuan scale WWF tag match.

My friend and I stood there dumbstruck. It was over 25 years ago and I would love to have been able to recall how I joined in the scene of carnage, downing all-comers, but as a young boy I was horror-stricken and frozen with terror. I remember one Policeman ambling by and peering round the corner to see what all the noise was. He took one look at the scene and carried on walking.Classic!

By this time most of our group had been split into small factions and the walk to the ground was quite simply a journey into some apocyliptic
nightmare. It was as if my mate and I had just emerged from the Tardis into some post-nuclear wasteland.Yet there was no Jon Pertwee to close those bloody Police-Box doors and I guess most of the Coppers would have been in there hiding if he could have!

On every street corner the sight were the same, people scurrying around in all directions, I saw one outlandish figure - a United fan in a white boiler-suit and black bowler hat giving out instructions looking like an extra from A Clockwork Orange. All around were cries of "here they are" "don't run" "I've got one". A whirl of confusion, a tidal wave of thundering red Doctor Marten boots and tartan scarves.

We arrived outside the ground and met up again with some faces from the
train. Some looked dazed and confused, others bloodied but belligerent. "See this", said one half-caste Londoner with a bloody nose. "The next Taff I see, I'm going to give him three of these." We all laughed loudly at the ridiculous statement, though from some of the characters I had seen at the Station encounter, a guy with three noses was highly likely.

With about an hour to go before kick-off we decided to opt for some
sustainance to re-fuel our adrenalin loss. A pink, undercooked 'Spamburger' did the trick for 30p. We started queing at the rather oddly named 'Bob-Bank' whatever that was. Suddenly a group of Reds walked past us, full of contempt that we were planning to go into our own end. "Not in here you ****holes, it's all down "The Grange". Intimidated by their ridicule we followed our heroes and paid in at the "Grange".

As we prepared to pay our (70p was it) I noticed some of the lads around us were tying their scarves around their waists out of sight. I now realised that occupying the home end was more of a military operation than a consumer choice.

We gathered "inconspicuosly" at a point close to the fence which had a huge no-man's land separating the rival fans. Insults were traded for half an hour, a few blood curdling screams of bravado followed by a couple of half-hearted charges by either side at the fence. A fat Cardiff fan with a scarf round his wrist, and tomato sauce stains around his chin, shouted something indistinguishable and launced a wooden stake, like a mini telegraph pole into the baying United mob.

A few cheers rang out as it hit an unseen target. Instantly a piece of
concrete was hurled into the Cardiff boys to my right and I could see a
small group of people huddled round a fallen comrade. The reality that
someone really could die here today (possibly even me) hit home, and I
wondered how my parent's would react if they knew that I wasn't actually on the 'day trip to Barry Island' that I was supposed to be on with my mate's 'caring Dad'.

As if it wasn't bad enough, things were about to take a turn for the worse. A small group of Bluebirds began to take an unhealthy interest in the dozen or so lads to their left (us). One hideous freak with a severely scarred face wandered over. "Not singing boys? We all sing in here, you're all a bit quiet today. You are all 'Care-diff ' I hope". My heart sank. Rumbled, and we knew they weren't going to go away now their suspicions were aroused.

The scout ambled back to the main group to report his findings. After a
brief chin-wag amongst themselves, three or four more came over for an
'interview'. The "Head of Personnel" was none other than the fearsome
one-man war machine we had seen in action near the station. I wanted to cry and explain that I had a note from my Mum that said on no account was I to have my head kicked in as I had a cold.

I guess that a rat, when cornered, will strike out and I found that I was surrounded by a few heavy-duty rodents. "You want a song do you?" piped up a ginger-haired Northerner. "Yooooh-niiiiii-ted" he bellowed in a slow ponderous scream like Hitler adressing the Nuremberg Rally.

That was the signal for all out attack. The dozen or so infiltrators charged upwards at the massed ranks of blue-scarved savages in a suicidal attack. Fists flew and a sea parted between the fans as the visitors gained some amazing ground. I cowered behind a mouth-foaming long-haired Red with the most enormous baggy trousers I have ever seen, confidant that they wouldn't see me behind the expanse of bottle green material. The very trousers that must have inspired Suggs' Madness hit some years later.

Suddenly the 'Red Sea' in front of me became just a pond, as the Cardiff boys realised the small numbers involved in the kamikaze charge. Then it dried up like a Midsummer's day in the Serengetti as the United boys were now charging back down the same stairs that they had scaled so heroically a few moments earlier.

I just wanted the concrete to open up and swallow me, yet most of the
concrete in Ninian Park was of the airborne variety. It was now clear that we were in serious trouble and we seized the chance to make for a gap in the faltering fencing, weakened by numerous charges. We raced towards the safety of our fellow fans, who, to our horror, on seeing the onrushing mob charged into us, and a number of fists flew before our identity was established.

We were then welcomed like a band of soldiers returning from a daring
mission behind enemy lines, which I guess it had been. I was by now feeling almost traumatised, as huge lumps of brick, concrete and wood were flying over from both sides, the Police were desparately trying to contain the two fearsome mobs who charged continually at the horror-stricken thin blue line and at several points it looked as though the fence would give way.

As a veteran of away trips at home and abroad throughout the 70's, 80's and to a lesser extent the 21st Century, I can honestly say I couldn't imagine the carnage that would have taken place had that wilting police line given way on that day.

Mercifully it held, and despite sickening chants of "Munich" and
occasionally even "Aberfan" and about enough flying ballast to build a
high-rise block, the body count was surprisingly low. People were being
carried out from both side on stretchers, many with horrifying head wounds, struggling yobs were being plucked from both ranks by those Policemen plucky enough to try. Others were met with a volley of missiles and feet.

Every so often a small group of United fans would emerge in the home section and the same scenario would be played out - a suicidal charge followed by submersion beneath a frenzy of kicks, stamps and punches.

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
By now, I had retreated to the safety of a piece of grass next to the
stinking cesspit of that passed for the "Gentleman's Toilets". Still numb with the day's events and relieved to know I definitely wasn't dead, I rested against a small wall. A small group of boys made their way past,having just come through the turnstiles. Latecomers, they've missed all the action, I thought. Suddenly I recognised one of the faces. Missed the action? They were the action!

That same horrible mush, that messed-up mug. It was our old friend the Welsh war-machine. He was now amongst us! Totally un-noticed he made his way to the top of the stairs. I wanted to scream, to yell pantomime style "he's behind you!" but to no avail.

Without even a glance to ensure his six mates were in tow, he just proceeded to steam into all and sundry, a whirling, devastating thrreshing machine that took about a dozen boys to surpress. Even then he seemed to be unscathed, just made his point and then made a sensible but dignified retreat. To this day I wonder who he was and just what kind of legend he was around Grangetown or the like.

The match was played out in a kind of surreal haze, and on the final
whistle, both sides burst from the terraces into the street where ingenious Police plans ensured the two armies took separate routes home and were kept apart for all of two minutes.

Just as before, during the game, it had seemed that I had an awful knack of arriving just as major disorder was breaking out, so it was to be the pattern on the journey back to the station.

Sporadic bottles and missiles flew but no major incidents occurred until the station was in sight. Suddenly this was to be the major convergence of both main mobs, and hundreds of Cardiff and Manchester boys tore into each other. There was none of this puffy bouncing about of the modern 'offs' as they became known. No pushing the bloke in front of you into action in order to hide behind him. Just a demented, almost surreal, spontaneous orgy of physical butchery, where everybody seemed to know their role.

I have to say that I have rarely seen violent disorder on that scale in any walk of life since and I when I finally reached the safety of the
London-bound train I mused to myself as to whether any mentally stable
people did actually attend Football matches in 1974. It then occurred to me that amidst all the carnage, I didn't even know who won - the game had become completely immaterial. 1-0 to United, someone advised us - it seemed that most of those at the Station didn't know either as it transpired.

Manchester United fans continued their status as a fearsome football gang, but whereas so few modern 'hoolie' books ever actually tell the truth where opponent's successes are concerned, they had certainly met their match that day.

The sheer frenzied hatred of the Cardiff City fans as they came head to head with England's largest hooligan gang on that day was something to tell my grandchildren (if I ever have any) about.

In subsequent years the two clubs fortunes varied drastically, Cardiff were destined for a lifetime in the lower leagues, United eventually found domestic and European glory, but they were both top of the league on that August day.

The clubs' fans have had a varied history since. Cardiff evolved (maybe from that encounter) into one of the most notorious hooligan gangs, a stigma or accolade (depending on your viewpoint) that they hold to this day. United meanwhile have sadly been all but swallowed up by Corporate greed, their fans so often, and highly unfairly pilloried as prawn-munching replica shirt wearers from Singapore, (thanks to the incessant and somewhat successful PR campaign over the last 10 years chiefly from Manchester City's propoganda machine) yet even in those glory-less years, their nationwide support was unrivalled, highlighted on that day by a train full of 500 beer-swilling psychopaths heading back to Paddington.

So when newcomers to the game think that out-of-town Reds are a modern
phenomenon created by success, I would laugh in their faces and know at an instant that they themsleves are actually the very new-wave fans that they profess to despise. Whereas any clued-up match-going rivals who have been around longer than just the day after "Three Lions" made the charts will know the score.

Post Euro 96 nouveau fans brought up on a diet of Fantasy Football, 606
phone-ins, Helen Chamberlain, Baddiel and Skinner wouldn't recognise the Manchester United of 1974, yet if one wanders around Salford, or the City Centre on matchday, especially when the likes of Leeds, Liverpool or Chelsea are due then anyone expecting to glimpse the stereotypical image of a United fan would be highly mistaken. Similarly United away games are beginning to see a return to the 'active' followings of yesteryear, unrecognisable from the image portrayed by the type of United fan we all know, the office gimp who has 15 replica shirts but has never been to Old Trafford.

Cardiff fans continue to wreak havoc around the country, and unlike United have never had an alternative image to have to shake off. Cardiff still know how to offer visiting fans that unique "welcome in the hillside" but I doubt that anything would ever come close to that day in 1974. I doubt if anything could!

Awful days, etched on my mind with a kind of fondness usually only reserved for cold school showers, or a kiss from an ugly Aunt - yet strangely wonderful times, at the time it was an experience to chill the bones, yet I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

When I finally returned home, unscathed, well at least physically, my Mum asked me if I had had a nice time in Wales. (Imagining her little boy splashing around in the sea or acting the buffoon in the sand.) I said it had been 'an interesting day'. "Did you bring back any rock?" she asked. I thought back to the flying concrete at Ninian Park a few hours earlier. "No, sorry" I replied, "There's was plenty around but nothing I liked the look of." "Never mind" said Mum, "as long as you've enjoyed yourself" she said. I had been chased, spat at, terrified, traumatised, seen men knocked unconscious and kicked senseless - yet she was right... I had!

From that day on, like many Cardiff fans too, I'm sure, I was hooked, and followed United all over from that day on for over a quarter of a century. It's a funny kind of logic, but in a way, although I reviled those 70's days of lawlessness and abject violence and terror, and although it's best that they are consigned to history, I can't tell you how very glad I was that I was there. With fond memories to both Reds and Bluebirds.

Johnno

The whole of Collyhurst was there that day, I've been told the stories of Cardiff 74 loads of times, was one of the more famous scraps the United lads had

TheGreyParrot

Some excellent books retell the tale of United's trip to Cardiff in 74 and thats not a bad one either. United's firm has been every bit as active since 74 as Cardiff's has, errr or so I'm told. In fact United put a very good show on against Cardiff prior to our first trip to the Millenium stadium.

If we did come off second best in 74 we certainly didn't in 2001!
Not that I condone violence ..........

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
Cardiff's hooliganism problem is no more a problem than any other club's now. But it's only in the last couple of years that's been the case.

By the way... football hooligans are cnuts and deserve everything they get.

Johnno

West Ham have got a bad problem, especially with this monster leading them into battle at every football match;

Johnno

Did you see Dyer do that Real Football Factory? They interviewed my mate for it and he got screwed over by teh TV Company who promised him a credit and a fee and even a mention of his book by didn't get nowt, even after he'd set-up a meeting between Eddie Beef and Andy Nicholls from Everton.

TheGreyParrot

Did you see Dyer do that Real Football Factory? They interviewed my mate for it and he got screwed over by teh TV Company who promised him a credit and a fee and even a mention of his book by didn't get nowt, even after he'd set-up a meeting between Eddie Beef and Andy Nicholls from Everton.

Yep, and Eddie Beef, god love him didn't come across too well did he?
Why he agreed to do it, feck knows.

Johnno

Yep, and Eddie Beef, god love him didn't come across too well did he?
Why he agreed to do it, feck knows.
he got told it was a friendly/banter filled chat, he didn't know Nicholls was gonna act it up in front of the cameras and in hindsight, I think he did quite well really. It was set-up for them to chat about past Utd-Everton rumbles and he thought it was gonna be all pally-pally, Col Blaney told me it was very different off-camera.

TheGreyParrot

he got told it was a friendly/banter filled chat, he didn't know Nicholls was gonna act it up in front of the cameras and in hindsight, I think he did quite well really. It was set-up for them to chat about past Utd-Everton rumbles and he thought it was gonna be all pally-pally, Col Blaney told me it was very different off-camera.
Mr Nicholls is extremely complimentary normally about United but he got untold stick off many Everton for his United chapter in his book.
Trying to make amends in front of the camera, methinks.

Col has always done well on the tv, as has Sam.
Eddie was more interested in getting a free ale off Bravo, same old Eddie you might say.

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back
Mr Nicholls is extremely complimentary normally about United but he got untold stick off many Everton for his United chapter in his book.
Trying to make amends in front of the camera, methinks.

Col has always done well on the tv, as has Sam.
Eddie was more interested in getting a free ale off Bravo, same old Eddie you might say.
Andy Nicholls got shite off Everton fans for just about everything he wrote.

Theres many an Everton fan wanted to rip his head off for revealling a little too much detail about some of his counterparts.

When I lived outside Goodison he released the book in a blaze of publicity at the Royal Oak pub on the corner of County Road, and it was funny as hell, because Everton were playing West Ham, and he'd not been very complimentary about Cass Pennant and the West ham lads, so they were all outside wanting to get hold of him, and then you had the Everton lads all wanting to get hold of him too. The OB had the strange task of trying to protect him from both sets of fans..

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back
Cardiff's hooliganism problem is no more a problem than any other club's now. But it's only in the last couple of years that's been the case.

By the way... football hooligans are cnuts and deserve everything they get.
You are kidding...

Cardiff are known for their mis-behaviour, in fact I would say they've got one of the worst reputations going. A reputation well earnt through the last 30 years.

As for their no worse than any other team.. You go tell that to Wolves fans who they battered all over Wolverhampton last season. And when I say battered, I mean they fecking battered them.

As for saying all football hooligans are cnuts, sorry, but you clearly dont know any then, because I know many, and they are sound as a pound. Mad as feck, I'll grant you that, but no way are they cnuts...

Theres many a United lad I'd have stood beside me any day of the week. Hooligan or not.

Johnno

Andy Nicholls got shite off Everton fans for just about everything he wrote.

Theres many an Everton fan wanted to rip his head off for revealling a little too much detail about some of his counterparts.

When I lived outside Goodison he released the book in a blaze of publicity at the Royal Oak pub on the corner of County Road, and it was funny as hell, because Everton were playing West Ham, and he'd not been very complimentary about Cass Pennant and the West ham lads, so they were all outside wanting to get hold of him, and then you had the Everton lads all wanting to get hold of him too. The OB had the strange task of trying to protect him from both sets of fans..
Really? I got a picture sent to me by my mate at his booklaunch with Pennant and Nicholls looking very cosy together, tried to upload it from my desktop but can't because I'm rubbish at that sort of stuff, PM me your email address and I'll gladly share it with you

northroad1878

A bit of a brute
I can testify that Cardiff are still a bit rough, to say the least. 74 was before my day as a lone traveller but I know the area today and they could probably muster up ten times the numbers United could today.

Nothing to be proud of or anything but still. The hick towns still pull it off. And so many of them are fully grown men. The rest of us just grew out of it at 20 and even then were just playing a bit.

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back
Really? I got a picture sent to me by my mate at his booklaunch with Pennant and Nicholls looking very cosy together, tried to upload it from my desktop but can't because I'm rubbish at that sort of stuff, PM me your email address and I'll gladly share it with you
I am not saying they arent mateys, because they all seem now to be bosom buddies now their selling books by the hundred to innocent fans who hang off their every word.

All I am saying is in the book, Nicholls wasnt very polite about the ICF and its leaders ( maybe inferring Cass Pennant I suppose ). That upset the West Ham fans who decided they were going to go and tell him personally what he could do with his book...

Johnno

I am not saying they arent mateys, because they all seem now to be bosom buddies now their selling books by the hundred to innocent fans who hang off their every word.

All I am saying is in the book, Nicholls wasnt very polite about the ICF and its leaders ( maybe inferring Cass Pennant I suppose ). That upset the West Ham fans who decided they were going to go and tell him personally what he could do with his book...
he probably would have meant Bill Gardner from the ICF, he reckons he could have beaten the Vietcong single-handedly and has never been beaten in a fight at a football match, alone or with his firm. Apprently. Supposedly. Allegedly....

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back
he probably would have meant Bill Gardner from the ICF, he reckons he could have beaten the Vietcong single-handedly and has never been beaten in a fight at a football match, alone or with his firm. Apprently. Supposedly. Allegedly....
Bill Gardner must have had the day off in 85 then..

:D

Johnno

Bill Gardner must have had the day off in 85 then..

:D
I was five at the time but have seen the footage, my favourite bit is the guy with blond mullet going mad at his Cockney mates, 'Who are ya, fackin' West Ham? We're meant to hammer these nowthern cants!'

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back
I was five at the time but have seen the footage, my favourite bit is the guy with blond mullet going mad at his Cockney mates, 'Who are ya, fackin' West Ham? We're meant to hammer these nowthern cants!'
You're giving your age away there... :D

You're still a whipper snapper mate...

Johnno

You're giving your age away there... :D

You're still a whipper snapper mate...
I was standing there in my Thomas the Tank Engine pyjamas watching the JCL batter the ICF, Fred!
How old did you think I was? I'm nearer thirty than twenty-five mate, hardly a pre-pubescent although I'm still waiting on a few extra inches

Barry Red

Ah yes.... Cardiff 74.

Like Max Boyce says, I was there. In all fairness this is one of the best reads ever about this encounter. Most of the reports are usually of the "there was eight or ten of us and about 200 of those Welsh bastards.... we charged and they ran like rabbiits....." variety and those of you that were actually there know just how true that was!

Let me explain why it kicked off the way it did. You can thank the legendary London media for it. Don't forget at the time the hoolie problem was a lot, lot worse than it is now and was big news for the dailies - it sold newspapers, so the issue was pushed hard by the press. United, sadly having been demoted the season before, had a following that had, shall we say, a certain reputation. Certainly the United firm was up there with the big boys of Millwall, West Ham and, at the time, Chelsea. For two weeks this encounter had been stoked up by the press and the Cardiff hoolies (they weren't called 'Soul Crew' in those days - that came later) were keen to impress the visitors with their credentials. For an entire week before the match TV camera crews had mobile reporters out quizzing young lads about what they thought might happen. Quite truthfully, they were expecting a heavy invasion so in a rare show of unity the Cardiff mob got prepared for it.

Now at the time the United crew had their own reputation to keep up. They were used to rolling into town, taking over by a combination of aggressive attitude and sheer weight of numbers. Their butcher coats and boots were well known all over the country and normally gave them a psychological edge over the opposition hoolies, who were almost always outnumbered and steamrollered out of it. However on this day (and I don't know quite why) Cardiff turned out a huge number of guys who would not normally have taken part and it kicked off big style right from early in the morning.

I don't remember much of the match - an early penalty won it for United - but there was an incredibly hostile atmosphere at the ground. I wasn't standing on the Grange End myself, but I feel sorry for those fecking idiots who thought it would be a good idea to try and establish a United presence in one of the most feared home ends in the league. I hope the scars have healed, chaps.... a colleague at the Cardiff Royal infirmary was kept very busy all day stitching up glass wounds, razor slashes, Stanley knife cuts and treating sundry contusions caused in the fighting.

This was not a day for the faint hearted, and thank God all this mindless nonsense is in the past.

Oh, and Sambachan, the person who you refer to as the "head of personnel" was in all probability the legendary 'Tater', not the even more legendary 'Frankie'.

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
You are kidding...

Cardiff are known for their mis-behaviour, in fact I would say they've got one of the worst reputations going. A reputation well earnt through the last 30 years.

As for their no worse than any other team.. You go tell that to Wolves fans who they battered all over Wolverhampton last season. And when I say battered, I mean they fecking battered them.

As for saying all football hooligans are cnuts, sorry, but you clearly dont know any then, because I know many, and they are sound as a pound. Mad as feck, I'll grant you that, but no way are they cnuts...

Theres many a United lad I'd have stood beside me any day of the week. Hooligan or not.
In the last 2 seasons the number of arrests made of Cardiff fans has dropped to a par with other clubs. For this reason they've taken away the divide that used to seperate home and away fans (some impenetrable net :rolleyes:). As for the Wolves game last season.... I didn't say there isn't any hooliganism anymore, did I? What I said was that Cardiff's hooligan problem is no longer anywhere near as bad as it was. There are still hooligans for every club going around beating the shit out of people.

As for the football hooligans are cnuts comment... in my opinion, if you go to a football match for the excitement you get of beating the shit out of other people rather than the excitement of watching your team play... then you are indeed a cnut.

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back
In the last 2 seasons the number of arrests made of Cardiff fans has dropped to a par with other clubs. For this reason they've taken away the divide that used to seperate home and away fans (some impenetrable net :rolleyes:). As for the Wolves game last season.... I didn't say there isn't any hooliganism anymore, did I? What I said was that Cardiff's hooligan problem is no longer anywhere near as bad as it was. There are still hooligans for every club going around beating the shit out of people.

As for the football hooligans are cnuts comment... in my opinion, if you go to a football match for the excitement you get of beating the shit out of other people rather than the excitement of watching your team play... then you are indeed a cnut.
So what is hooliganism now ? Is it trouble inside the ground or anything football related..

Example.. Last season v Wolves Cardiff went on the rampage. Kicked of big time in the city centre, and how many "hooligans" were arrested ? NONE...

But there were something like 20 offences for violent disorder away from the ground.

The problem is football hooliganism hasnt, contrary to popular belief, gone away. Its been moved from inside the grounds to outside on the streets, and once its on the streets is not classed as football related.

There maybe arent as many Cardiff fans being arrested for football related violence, but rest assured on any matchday in any town Cardiff are at, there will be arrests for violent disorder on the streets... Its how you define "hooliganism" and the FA and government want everyone to believe its all gone away from football. It hasnt. Its just been moved out of the view of the TV cameras so the public believe its still safe to go to football...

topper

Clown
I was there in Cardiff in 74 but Max Boyce wasn't - he had more sense than me - it was horrific and believe me football hooligans of that ilk then and now are brain damaged cretins that deserve to be slung in clink and the key thrown away.

It wasn't new that rubbish - the bad times as I recall started around the early sixties - peace and love my arse -I remember my time living in London 67 - 72 ish and getting to all the London grounds with United and really nearly scared to death with the antics of the Londoners and the United lot. I was newly married then and my missus used to accompany me to these matches for the first year or so but eventually I persuaded her on health grounds that she stay away. The old girl used to be dead worried at each match until I strolled in when things had quietened down.

At the beginning of married life we had a flat off the Fulham Road and when United visited Chelsea I could walk to the match and it common to have running fights before and after the match on massive parts of the Fulham Road

fredthered

I want Peter Kenyon back
I was there in Cardiff in 74 but Max Boyce wasn't - he had more sense than me - it was horrific and believe me football hooligans of that ilk then and now are brain damaged cretins that deserve to be slung in clink and the key thrown away.

It wasn't new that rubbish - the bad times as I recall started around the early sixties - peace and love my arse -I remember my time living in London 67 - 72 ish and getting to all the London grounds with United and really nearly scared to death with the antics of the Londoners and the United lot. I was newly married then and my missus used to accompany me to these matches for the first year or so but eventually I persuaded her on health grounds that she stay away. The old girl used to be dead worried at each match until I strolled in when things had quietened down.

At the beginning of married life we had a flat off the Fulham Road and when United visited Chelsea I could walk to the match and it common to have running fights before and after the match on massive parts of the Fulham Road

You mean to say United had OOT support back then..

Well perish the thought. How did they get satellite TV back then ?

:D;)

topper

Clown
You mean to say United had OOT support back then..

Well perish the thought. How did they get satellite TV back then ?

:D;)
as one OOT to t'other feck off you cnut :D as fer satellite tv perish the thought -we had a 14 inch black and white (second hand) that we changed channels with a pliers - because the plastic switch was missing - three channels then if I recall correctly - BBC 1 and 2 and ITV - Geez were we deprived then

I remember Concorde first flying over London and me and the wife hanging out of our first floor flat in wonder at droopy nose

Now we have you :D

TheGreyParrot

This is by a well known scouser,

Unthinkable as it might seem today with its seemingly bottomless pit of wealth, back in 1974 mighty Manchester United suffered the ignominy of relegation to the old second division. A large number of supporters set out to claw back some respect by becoming the largest, most violent and feared thugs in the land.
Monday, March 26, 2007

Liverpool, week beginning 20 October, 1975. The anticipation is almost electric as the weekend draws nearer. This will be the first clash between Liverpool and Manchester United for nearly two years, and the intense rivalry has been ratcheted up to fever pitch by the tabloids. It’s not a case of whether there will be trouble – but how bad it will be. United spent the previous season in Division Two where their travelling hordes gained a fearsome reputation as the biggest and wildest mob in football, smashing all before them. Above and beyond the countless incidents of trainwrecking and window-smashing that has followed them all over the country, United’s fans have been involved in large-scale fighting at clubs as far-flung as Bolton, Cardiff, Millwall and Bristol Rovers. Their reputation has, in every sense, gone before them.

Liverpool have been so concerned about trouble that the club has constructed a plated steel walkway right down the centre of the Anfield Road End – the away terrace – where the local constabulary can police them full time from their perch in the new walkway. The arrival of 6,000 Man United fans is going to be the first time the system is put to the test.

In understanding the full hysteria surrounding this fixture, we need to look at the way in which football hooliganism was transformed from an occasional and often localised phenomenon in the early 70s to a national obsession by 1975. There had always been trouble at the match. Infamous tribal gatherings such as the Harry Cripps testimonial where Millwall fans fought running battles with West Ham. Grudge matches like Brighton against Palace, Sunderland- Newcastle, Bristol against any of the South Wales teams seemed even more violent as mobs of shavenheaded skins scaled walls and fences to get at one another. “Taking” your local rivals’ end was fashionable, too – for pure bravado. Man City, for example, would turn up on Stoke City’s Boothen End knowing that, from the moment they let their presence be known, survival would depend on how quickly the Old Bill could get them out of there. It was hard to get too badly hurt in those situations.

The “taking” of an end was more about being escorted back to your own fans’ enclosure, greeting their cheers with clenched fist salutes. For some lucky souls it was also about meeting a game provincial lass for whom fecking you didn’t mean leaving an Airwair imprint on your face. Coventry, Ipswich, West Brom... tales of “willing” thugettes who’d open up their Crombies down the back of the terraces were rife, with arguments over which away girls were easiest rivalling folk tales about the hardest mobs. Football aggro was made even spicier by the ‘70s crazes for, firstly Clockwork Orange-inspired gang violence, then the Bruce Lee/David Carradinedriven interest in Kung Fu among any working-class males old enough to bruise their own knuckles with nunchucks. Even the popular TV series The Likely Lads paid lip-service to terrace violence when James Bolam’s earthy Geordie character Terry was hauled up in front of the beak for his role in a pre-season riot between Newcastle and Glasgow Rangers fans.

And the FA Cup was a rule unto itself. By virtue of the way the Cup would throw up bitter local derbies that hadn’t been played – or forgotten – in years, or David and Goliath spats where hard little teams like Carlisle or Darlington would host the streetwise hordes from the big cities, the FA Cup was always underscored by the sound of sirens as large-scale disorder broke out on the terraces and in the streets around the ground. But in general, football fans didn’t travel away from home in vast numbers, and the further the trip the less that would travel. When rucks did take place at the match they looked spectacular and they made the news. But the relegation of Manchester United to the Second Division in 1974 took our media preoccupation with football violence to new levels. There’s no question that , by the time they were relegated in 1974, United had the biggest mob in the country. When they decided to travel, they could easily muster thousands.

A whole decade before the cult for following England started to spread, Man United where, effectively, England in disguise. Attracted by the glamour of Georgie Best, the European Cup win and that elusive sense of belonging to something huge and powerful, fans started flocking to Old Trafford from all over the country. Tony Harding from Stockport said: ‘It was like a ritual inside the ground. You’d have all the London lads singing “Cockney Reds”. Then the Geordies would strike up “Geordie Reds”. Then the Brummies and so on – and when they’d all had their say, the whole of the Stretford End would applaud. It was something to be proud of back then, having that nationwide appeal.’ When they went down in 1974, the embarrassment of playing with the minnows in Division Two was overcome by a closing of ranks and a new militancy among United fans. ‘Beat them at home and beat them away,’ took on a new meaning as the European Cup Winners of six years previously faced up to away days at Leyton Orient, Oldham Athletic and Notts County.

United treated their lower league sojourn much as teams now treat the early rounds of European competition – an adventure. The chance to go to grounds you’d never visit otherwise, and wherever they went there’d be a thousand local boot boys waiting to test themselves against the infamous Red Army. Newsreels were dominated by footage of Man.United fans rampaging through town centres, smashing plate glass windows, running over car roofs, hurling bricks and genuinely causing mayhem. They’d take over the smaller grounds – lads in butchers’ coats with big wild mop-heads and tartan scarves packed up against the perimeter fence, urging each other on. They made great telly in those days, Man United. Whoever they were playing, you were guaranteed a sideshow from the newly-dubbed Red Army. Other teams began to resent their notoriety. After Norwich City beat United in the League Cup semi-final in February 1975, the news was once again taken over by footage of the Red Army smashing up the town centre, ripping their special trains to bits. There’s a famous bit of newsreel where one of the Man United boys is up on the roof of Norwich’s Main Stand, hurling masonry.

Somehow he falls through the roof, plummets a good 60-odd feet down onto the terracing below and survives. It all added to the legend of the Red Army, but it also added to their reputation as vandals rather than fighters. In a pre-Internet world, word spread more slowly. Jibes would reverberate around the jails and borstals. Lads from Leeds and Birmingham would be working on building sites in London next to Manchester, Middlesbrough and Cockney boys. And as much as the United lads would be saying: ‘How can we fight when everyone takes one look and runs?’, they were still sensitive to that perception of them as Viking invaders.

Wait till they got back up to Division One. They’d show those Yorkshire and Chelsea and Wolverhampton bigmouths what was what. In the meantime, television and newspaper coverage was creating a football violence epidemic. As Man United’s lower-league antics gained more and more coverage, so the copycat tribes started showing what they could do. Suddenly every team, however small, had its own firm. 1974-75 was the first season I was allowed to go to Anfield on my own. Too tiny for The Kop and too scared of the feral gangs in the Boy’s Pen, I went in the Anfield Road End with the pensioners and packed-sandwich crew who welcomed that extra bit of space. Look at any footage of The Kop from that era and the heads are packed so close together its just one seething, swaying mass. But the Road End’s actual terracing was a little deeper, and it was possible to see the match.

It was also possible for the gang of 100-150 lads who’d started mobbing up in the top corner to make their way across the top of the terrace at five-tothree and wade into whichever fans had made the journey. There were never really that many, anyway. But in March that year Newcastle brought about 2,000. Apart from Everton’s annual takeover of the Anny Road, I’d never seen that many away fans before. They had the middle, from the back of the terrace to about twothirds down. Liverpool won the match 1-0, but I had my back to the pitch for most of the game as the much smaller Scouse firm in the Road End fought, back and forwards with first the Newcastle mob, then the police. When the gates opened at three-quarter time, hundreds more poured in and it all kicked-off again. Match of the Day didn’t let us down, cutting away repeatedly to scenes of full-scale, mob-on-mob rucking.

A couple of weeks later, Chelsea played Crystal Palace in the Cup at Stamford Bridge. This time, Match Of The Day hardly showed the game at all, as they focused on the two firms standing off, a big circle of empty terrace between them. A Palace fan in a tweed beret runs in and donkey-drops a Chelsea lad; it’s one of the greatest screen kicks of all time, and Jimmy Hill seemingly shared that view. With his face bristling in disgust, he slows the footage down and runs it in stop-frame:

‘Let’s just see that once again as this thug runs in. Look! Look at that! He kung-fu kicks him right in the chest! This is exactly what we don’t want to see inside our grounds.’

TheGreyParrot

Jimmy then looks up at the camera as though lost for words, shakes his head and goes:

‘Let’s just see it one more time...’

Television loves football violence. Sky TV’s crews seemed heartbroken when they camped out in Charleroi the night before England v Germany, and nothing happened. They know it makes news, that people are horribly fascinated. Consciously or not, Jimmy Hill was onto that back in 1975.

And back in 1975, the Liverpool v Man United grudge match finally came around. Inside the ground, the police walkway and overall anti-violence strategy worked a treat. On either side of the steel wall, the two firms made threatening gestures. (Away fans went in the South Side then. In future, that section would become the stomping ground for Liverpool’s mob). United ran at the wall after Kevin Keegan scored. The police truncheoned them back. Liverpool ran at the wall. Missiles went to and fro. But the police had it all boxed off. And they had another weapon up their sleeves afterwards – an escort like nobody anybody had ever seen before. This was another first, as police horses cordoned off Anfield Road and an almighty convoy of foot police, vans and horses set off escorting the hundred or so who’d come on the train back to Lime Street. Apart from isolated incidents and one minor battle in London Road, it was a massive anticlimax. Liverpool had a terrific firm out and United had the numbers, but it didn’t really go off. Everywhere they went that season, Man United had similar reception committees.

The clothes, the scarves, the wild, woolly hair-dos make that era of pitch invasions and brawls seem a century away. A mere two years later, Liverpool fans were patrolling the Road End in Lois jeans and Samba, the birth of a football fashion that continues to re-invent itself today. And although there have been worse periods for terrace violence – the 1984-85 season was unparalleled for sustained and major outbreaks of trouble – The Season United Went Down, 1974-75, deserves its place in British social history. That was the year that football violence went mainstream.