Carlo Ancelotti replaces Maurizio Sarri as Napoli manager | Ancelotti sacked

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Ancelotti failed to adjust himself to the principles of the positional play that were instilled during the 3 year stint of Pep Guardiola at Bayern. Thats why the players started to train secretly by themselves. Sarri is even more strict when it comes to positional play so i think Carlo will have huge problems even at the start of his stint there..

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If Sarri is sacked, Marina has played a blinder here. There were reports it was her plan for Sarri to get sacked so we didn't have to pay him out. If this is the truth, then well done to Marina.
Pretty sure she wasn't involved in his sacking.
Napoli don't want an uncommitted coach so they fired him.

piesel

I don't understand why Sarri is leaving, I thought he was doing a good job :confused:
A great job: zero trophies in 3 years (even Mazzarri and Benitez managed to win something), this year out of the group stage in the CL, purposefully chose to go out from Coppa Italia and Europa League to concentrate on the league, total meltdown in the last games.

KC91

Already talks about Di Maria being in Milan to discuss a transfer to Napoli, Benzema also a target.

Napoli has money, but ADL has said in the past that he hasn't spent a lot with Sarri because of Sarri's refusal to integrate new players and rotate the squad. So Ancelotti coming in could spark Napoli being really competitive in the transfer market. As I'm sure he made it clear he has CL ambitions on top of pushing Juve for the Scudetto.

ADL also claimed a week or two ago, that they already had a deal done for a striker who scored 20+ goals in one of Europe's top leagues this past season, not sure who that would be though.

Kapardin

Already talks about Di Maria being in Milan to discuss a transfer to Napoli, Benzema also a target.

Napoli has money, but ADL has said in the past that he hasn't spent a lot with Sarri because of Sarri's refusal to integrate new players and rotate the squad. So Ancelotti coming in could spark Napoli being really competitive in the transfer market. As I'm sure he made it clear he has CL ambitions on top of pushing Juve for the Scudetto.

ADL also claimed a week or two ago, that they already had a deal done for a striker who scored 20+ goals in one of Europe's top leagues this past season, not sure who that would be though.
Possibly, possibly not. Ancelotti is in a similar position Mourinho was after 15/16. He is not really sought after by the big clubs and is viewed as slightly damaged goods after the Bayern job. Napoli is a decent job for him, where he can show that he is not past it yet. And I don't think he was in a position to make demands, though he obviously would have some stipulations in terms of his salary, control, etc.

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München
Ancelotti failed to adjust himself to the principles of the positional play that were instilled during the 3 year stint of Pep Guardiola at Bayern. Thats why the players started to train secretly by themselves. Sarri is even more strict when it comes to positional play so i think Carlo will have huge problems even at the start of his stint there..
Nobody "trained secretly", what kind of bs is that? Do everyone a favor and try to make a post that doesn't contain the words "positional play". Ancelotti didn't fail at Bayern due to a certain style, he failed because important players didn't like him (including Hummels who never even played under Guardiola) and the major complaint was a lack of intensity in training.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Are you trying to convince me and others that suddenly Ancelotti and his crew forgot how to train players?! And that after they coached teams like AC Milan, Chelsea, PSG and Real Madrid?!. Do you really think that his training sessions were not intense enough for Cristiano Ronaldo and co?! NO, the reason why Bayern players were not happy with his methods was exactly because he didnt continue to train them like Pep did ie to the positional play =)

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Did Sarri just quit then as even this week it was reported Napoli were hoping to convince him to stay?

I don't believe for one second he's been sacked considering the job he's done unless it was for talking to other clubs without permission or something like that so breach of contract.

Think Napoli have peaked as a team (similar to Spurs I can see them losing key players now and in 12 months). Ancelotti isn't the sort of coach who rebuilds clubs.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
De Laurentiis wants international exposure in order to grow the brand but Sarri went all in with the Scudetto and failed. To be fair, both are at fault: De Laurentiis did not buy any player in January because Sarri rotates 13-14 players at best. They did not fail, though, 91 points are a monster figure even for the supposedly low Serie A standards. Ancelotti is a cups manager so possibly a deep run in the CL is what they are planning for next year.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Ancelotti seems to be a go to manager for clubs.

When nobody wants to manage you and you need someone decent... Ancelotti!

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
If Sarri is sacked, Marina has played a blinder here. There were reports it was her plan for Sarri to get sacked so we didn't have to pay him out. If this is the truth, then well done to Marina.
It's nothing to do with Chelsea. Talk about trying to give credit for someone who isn't involved at all, it's like me taking credit for Messi goals.

Last edited:

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
How has she gotten Sarri sacked?

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
How has she gotten Sarri sacked?
The idea is that AdL wanted a firm commitment from Sarri and didn’t get it due to Chelsea interest, so rather than just pay his release, we waited until AdL got annoyed and appointed a replacement. Meaning we could then come in for Sarri without paying a large release clause.

All sounds pretty far fetched and unlikely to me, but that’s the theory.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The idea is that AdL wanted a firm commitment from Sarri and didn’t get it due to Chelsea interest, so rather than just pay his release, we waited until AdL got annoyed and appointed a replacement. Meaning we could then come in for Sarri without paying a large release clause.

:lol:

Kostur

海尔的老板

Now that's what I call silent domination.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Maybe they’ll do well in Europe now.

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München
Are you trying to convince me and others that suddenly Ancelotti and his crew forgot how to train players?! And that after they coached teams like AC Milan, Chelsea, PSG and Real Madrid?!. Do you really think that his training sessions were not intense enough for Cristiano Ronaldo and co?! NO, the reason why Bayern players were not happy with his methods was exactly because he didnt continue to train them like Pep did ie to the positional play =)
I don't need to "convince" you, there are good sources on this (Heynckes himself publicly said that the first change he made was to increase the training intensity) and CR and co. don't matter, different countries, different attitudes/preferences and sometimes a coach simply doesn't fit well with certain players/teams. Mourinho was loved by his players at many clubs and yet he had problems at Madrid and later at Chelsea. It happens and isn't a simple black/white story.
So again, this certainly wasn't about "not training like Guardiola", Heynckes doesn't train like him either and nobody cares while there were huge complaints that the friggin fitness coach of Ancelotti even smoked(!) on the training ground. That was btw also one of the big problems, Ancelotti's team isolated itself from the rest of the club and there was a feeling that Ancelotti and his guys didn't integrate well.

Janson

:lol:

Janson

I hoped Paulo Fonseca would become the Neopolitan coach after Sarri to at least give the team a similar philosphy.

I have my doubts about Napoli challenging for the Scudetto with Carlo Ancelotti at the helm.

If Sarri goes to Chelsea, the premier league will have the 2 best exponents of the position game in the modern era.
Chelsea will need a total overhaul to play that way. They will fail miserably if they hire him. Nothing really exciting about it, it's only good for us.

Markolan

Supports
AC Milan
So Carlo Ancelotti, 58 y.o. and 19 trophies won, a manager who managed:

AC Milan, one of the best teams in the last 25 years

Chelsea: where he won 1 EPL, 1 FA Cup (Chelsea's first ever domestic double) and set the record for:
1. Most goals scored in a season with 103 (first team to score 100 goals since Tottenham in 1962/63)
2. The highest goal difference in a season with +71
3. Most home goals.
(The first 2 records have just been broken by Manchester City, 106 goals scored and GD +79).

Real Madrid: where he won La decima in the 2013/14 season (first European title since 2002 for Real Madrid) and set a Spanish record of 22 consecutive match victories in all competitions

This guy is a downgrade of

Maurizio Sarri, 59 y.o. and 0 trophies in career, after one good season with Napoli (not even great because he flopped in Champions league, Europa league and Coppa Italia)

Wow!

Last edited:

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Carlo continuing his world tour of notable clubs. Still lacks a 2nd big name from England on his resume though.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Carlos Ancelotti, multiple league and cl winning coach, is now considered a downgrade?
That's just looking at things without context.

Carlo's league record for the teams he's managed is pretty average (he even managed to blow it in Paris which is apparently impossible) and the chances of him winning with an underdog are pretty slim.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
So Carlo Ancelotti, 58 y.o. and 19 trophies won, a manager who managed:

AC Milan, one of the best teams in the last 25 years

Chelsea: where he won 1 EPL, 1 FA Cup (Chelsea's first ever domestic double) and set the record for:
1. Most goals scored in a season with 103 (first team to score 100 goals since Tottenham in 1962/63)
2. The highest goal difference in a season with +71
3. Most home goals.
(The first 2 records have just been broken by Manchester City, 106 goals scored and GD +79).

Real Madrid: where he won La decima in the 2013/14 season (first European title since 2002 for Real Madrid) and set a Spanish record of 22 consecutive match victories in all competitions

This guy is a downgrade of

Maurizio Sarri, 59 y.o. and 0 trophies in career, after one good season with Napoli (not even great because he flopped in Champions league, Europa league and Coppa Italia)

Wow!
With the same logic Zidane was a huge downgrade on Carlo and Rafa and we know how that's worked out.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea will need a total overhaul to play that way. They will fail miserably if they hire him. Nothing really exciting about it, it's only good for us.
Absolutely not the case. The Napoli team were considered pretty junk before Sarri took over. Him with our team would be incredibly exciting.

Bojan11

That's just looking at things without context.

Carlo's league record for the teams he's managed is pretty average (he even managed to blow it in Paris which is apparently impossible) and the chances of him winning with an underdog are pretty slim.
Yes because Sarri has done a lot in the league...

So it’s not a downgrade.

Siorac

A total downgrade for Ance. Cant understand why top clubs seem not to be interested in him on this sabbatical
What top clubs though? He managed almost all of them at one point now. Barcelona could have gone for him but he isn't a very barcaesque appointment. Apart from them, who else?

T A

What top clubs though? He managed almost all of them at one point now. Barcelona could have gone for him but he isn't a very barcaesque appointment. Apart from them, who else?
PSG, Chelsea, AC all can do well with him for a second spell rather than their recent choices imo. Even Arsenal would be a better destination than Napoli in term of fame and history

Ben Lister

:lol: Absolute state of this thread, guy's won a league title in 4 major European football leagues and 3 cl but apparently it's a bad appointment and a downgrade on a man that's won nothing in his career. Just wait until Sarri does nothing with Chelsea next season and the hype dies down quickly.

Siorac

PSG, Chelsea, AC all can do well with him for a second spell rather than their recent choices imo. Even Arsenal would be a better destination than Napoli in term of fame and history
He is not a 'builder' though. Both Arsenal and Milan are very poor these days and require major surgery - this is not Ancelotti's strength and in any case, the funds might not even be there at either club.

Can't blame Chelsea or PSG for going with riskier but more interesting options. Especially PSG where he was disappointing.

Past trophies aren't everything, people. You'd think we learned that with Van Gaal.

Janson

Absolutely not the case. The Napoli team were considered pretty junk before Sarri took over. Him with our team would be incredibly exciting.
I'm not saying you don't have good players, just that they probably aren't suited to that style. Pep got everything he needed to make his style work, and we all know Abramovic isn't spending like he did in the past and has often even left you with bare squads.

Look at what happened when you got AVB and he decided to go with a completeley different way of playing, that the players weren't suited or used to. That was a quality squad he inherited and he ruined it.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I'm not saying you don't have good players, just that they probably aren't suited to that style. Pep got everything he needed to make his style work, and we all know Abramovic isn't spending like he did in the past and has often even left you with bare squads.

Look at what happened when you got AVB and he decided to go with a completeley different way of playing, that the players weren't suited or used to. That was a quality squad he inherited and he ruined it.
AVB was a very different scenario though, he tried to clear out or minimize major squad members before they had reached the end of their careers, and without any real kind of transition to that. They fought back and he lost, because he hadn’t built up the trust and respect in the squad to pull it off.

The reason Sarri sounds so appealing (and I know very little about him to be honest, just what I’ve read up on since the rumours started), is that he sounds like a manager who is happy to work with an existing squad, works outrageously hard with each player to get the best out of them, is great with youth players and tries hard to bring them through, and on top of that plays exciting attacking football (which prominent members of our squad like Hazard are desperate to start playing).

It could all be a massive failure, or maybe the squad can’t adapt, or maybe a lot of other negative possibilities, but right now many of us just think it sounds like a really positive and promising direction to try. Of course the board will doubtless turn around and disappoint us by hiring Enrique instead, but I’m going to have happy thoughts about Sarri for as long as possible. :)