Carlsen vs Nepomniachi

Abraxas

Think it's a bit of a myth he wasn't theoretical anyway, he has a pretty deep understanding of most openings and has largely played solid stuff for years in classical chess.

Looks slightly worse to my eyes in this game, maybe Nepo can push for something.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

That ending is disappointing, only realised these past few months now that I started to play chess more frequently that going for draws like this is even allowed. When I learned how to play chess with my dad 20 years ago or so he never allowed me to repeat moves, so I thought that's not allowed. :lol:

When someone goes for this on chess.com I want to find him and punch him.

donkeyfish

Two replies! This might be a new record for a donkeyfish thread, glad there's awards coming up soon.

Oh yeah I agree, he's always had great knowledge of opening lines - but there was a few years he seemed to try and get what many called non-theoretical positions where the idea was to get an equal position where he could outsmart his opponent rather than getting lots of pressure straight out of the opening.

donkeyfish

That ending is disappointing, only realised these past few months now that I started to play chess more frequently that going for draws like this is even allowed. When I learned how to play chess with my dad 20 years ago or so he never allowed me to repeat moves, so I thought that's not allowed. :lol:

When someone goes for this on chess.com I want to find him and punch him.
That's pretty common at top level. It's a bit anticlimatic at times watching classical chess because the outcome so often is that they find a repetition and draws

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Two replies! This might be a new record for a donkeyfish thread, glad there's awards coming up soon.

Oh yeah I agree, he's always had great knowledge of opening lines - but there was a few years he seemed to try and get what many called non-theoretical positions where the idea was to get an equal position where he could outsmart his opponent rather than getting lots of pressure straight out of the opening.
Thats cuz chess is for little bitches that can't get clunge.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Sacced a pawn twice in the opening, Carlsen is becoming more theoretical with age.
I only know Chess at the most basic level, what does it mean when you use the term non-theoretical? Like not established openings etc?

donkeyfish

I only know Chess at the most basic level, what does it mean when you use the term non-theoretical? Like not established openings etc?
Yes, some openings require that you memorize more moves than other openings.

The essence is that computers are much better at chess than humans, so you look at how the computer play and memorize the first moves. So very complicated positions early on typically come from the computer, and is roughly what people mean when they say that something is "theoretical"

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Yes, some openings require that you memorize more moves than other openings.

The essence is that computers are much better at chess than humans, so you look at how the computer play and memorize the first moves. So very complicated positions early on typically come from the computer, and is roughly what people mean when they say that something is "theoretical"
Ah that's really interesting, cheers for the info!

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What an absolute treat, to get such an open fight in the second game already.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Interesting game today

How/where are you guys watching or following this?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Interesting game today

How/where are you guys watching or following this?

There are like half a dozen streams with (former) elite players as commentators for the English speaking audience alone.

This one caters a bit more to people, who aren't that deep into chess:

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern

There are like half a dozen streams with (former) elite players as commentators.
I'm watching the YT chess24 stream with that young German girl Sonja Bluhm and Rustam Kasimjanov, I like it more than some streams I used to have in earlier years

I initially thought she would be too much on the "OMG" teenie side but in combination with the guy it's pretty ok

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
But your team sounds a bit more impressive I guess..

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
But your team sounds a bit more impressive I guess..
Their combined rating isn't as high as Polgar/Giri or Svidler/Kramnik, but the lady is still 2300 rated and Kasimdzhanov is a former world champion and worked as a second. So I have no doubt that stream is very good on the chess side as well. In the end it's all about whose style you like more.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Mine two are talking a lot of random and often silly stuff between, but the commenting on the chess is for one, possible for me to follow (not too complicated and hasting into variations of variations where I don't know where the hell they went) and I like Kasimjanov's analysis and judgement very much

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Mine two are talking a lot of random and often silly stuff between, but the commenting on the chess is for one, possible for me to follow (not too complicated and hasting into variations of variations where I don't know where the hell they went) and I like Kasimjanov's analysis and judgement very much
I mean if you only cover one one classical game at a time you either drown the viewers in countless deep and purely hypothetical calculations or you keep it a bit lighter and put on guests or small talk. There's not really a way around that. For example when you watch a Svidler/Gustafsson stream, their analysis of the chess is quite methodical, but at some point they are guaranteed to delve into trash TV discussions.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I like for example, that exactly when Carlsen made the moves which the engine judged as clearly weak, Kasimjanov said that he would choose to jump in at white because he'd be more happy with it, as black was a very difficult position to play.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I like for example, that exactly when Carlsen made the moves which the engine judged as clearly weak, Kasimjanov said that he would choose to jump in at white because he'd be more happy with it, as black was a very difficult position to play.
I think that's what everyone would say. Most/all commentators only use engines sporadically, to verify concrete calculations or to find some inspiration in complex situations. But they don't live by the evaluation number, because they know that what the engine says is irrelevant, if the moves are too subtle or require too much accuracy for a human to execute. And when you have these commentators, who are 2700 rated themselves, they have a pretty good idea what is likely to be spotted at the board and what isn't.

NM

The official stream with Anand isn't bad either. I reckon Carlsen will grind Nepo down over 14 games and win with +2.. I'd like him to lose though.. just to see how pissed he will be and how he will crush everybody after

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
It's time to add an empty middle file to chess

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
So much for all the hype before the match that Nepomniachi is a more aggressive player than previous challengers and that this might lead to more deceisive games. Draw festival so far, even less action than in the first 4 games between Caruana and Carlsen.
Extreme enthusiasts might enjoy this but surely FIDE has to change something if this goes the same way as three years ago.

donkeyfish

So much for all the hype before the match that Nepomniachi is a more aggressive player than previous challengers and that this might lead to more deceisive games. Draw festival so far, even less action than in the first 4 games between Caruana and Carlsen.
Extreme enthusiasts might enjoy this but surely FIDE has to change something if this goes the same way as three years ago.
I think the first 2 games were draws but exciting, game 3 was well played by both and there were always some possibilities if one player slipped up. Today seemed to me like the only super dull draw, where the out of the opening everything was miniscule only a howler by either player would've provided a decisive result.

In general I agree though, it's so much more exciting to follow the WC when one player is ahead/behind. Creates a different level of tension. Now it's kind of a stalemate.

donkeyfish

"Extra time".

First they play a number of rapid games, which is 15 minutes on the clock with 10 seconds extra per move (roughly, might be slightly different). Think they then play best out of 4 games.

If still equal, they repeat by playing blits, which is 3 minutes + 2 second increment.

Finally, they play Armageddon. Where white gets more time on the clock than black, but if it's a draw black wins.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Shorter time controls I suppose?