Cash App Founder Bob Lee Fatally Stabbed

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...-san-francisco-stabbing-sources-say-rcna78265

A man who was fatally stabbed early Tuesday near downtown San Francisco was tech executive Bob Lee, the founder of Cash App and former chief technology officer of Square, sources told NBC Bay Area.

The San Francisco Police Department said officers responded to a report of a stabbing at around 2:35 a.m. Tuesday. They found a 43-year-old man with apparent stab wounds.

The man was taken to a hospital with life-threatening injuries and later died, police said.

hobbers

Just reading that 7 in every 100 people will be a victim of theft or violent crime in SanFran every year.

What a dump

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Just reading that 7 in every 100 people will be a victim of theft or violent crime in SanFran every year.

What a dump
Is that number really that bad? Since December it’s apparently around one in every eleven in Manchester that has committed a serious crime.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Is that number really that bad? Since December it’s apparently around one in every eleven in Manchester that has committed a serious crime.
yeah but a good percentage of those are weghorst and mctominay, stealing a living every week.

hobbers

More when Antony and Sancho play together.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )

What a dump
I think they said this happened in the nicer part of SanFran. If this is the nice part I don't want to know what happens in the bad parts.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Having lived there for 6 years, if you avoid the Tenderloin it's not so bad imo. But, have heard it's gotten way worse after Covid w/r to the homelessness and general crazies on the street. There are LOT of drugged out people in SF, which the City likes to ignore it seems.

We used to walk a fair distance to get the train everyday and while you rarely felt threatened, you also rarely felt entirely safe.

It's really odd because the city is amazing and outrageously wealthy - we got priced out - but no mayor will do anything about the incredible levels of homelessness.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Having lived there for 6 years, if you avoid the Tenderloin it's not so bad imo. But, have heard it's gotten way worse after Covid w/r to the homelessness and general crazies on the street. There are LOT of drugged out people in SF, which the City likes to ignore it seems.

We used to walk a fair distance to get the train everyday and while you rarely felt threatened, you also rarely felt entirely safe.

It's really odd because the city is amazing and outrageously wealthy - we got priced out - but no mayor will do anything about the incredible levels of homelessness.
It’s an interesting - and highly politicised - topic which could be the subject of a massive thread. But yeah, San Fran is one of a number of US cities that seems to have completely out of control homelessness and drug abuse problems, that are getting worse and worse.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It’s an interesting - and highly politicised - topic which could be the subject of a massive thread. But yeah, San Fran is one of a number of US cities that seems to have completely out of control homelessness and drug abuse problems, that are getting worse and worse.
Largely because the “pull yourself up by the bootstraps” mentality behind the so called American dream makes it very easy for politicians to ignore the plight of the homeless on the basis that it’s their own fault and helping them would be communist.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Largely because the “pull yourself up by the bootstraps” mentality behind the so called American dream makes it very easy for politicians to ignore the plight of the homeless on the basis that it’s their own fault and helping them would be communist.
Like I said, it's highly politicised but I've read some interesting stuff about San Fran going to shite because of misguided left wing policies (" blending empathy-driven progressivism with California libertarianism " "progressive leaders here have been LARPing left-wing values instead of working to create a livable city") rather than the usual right wing conservative heartlessness.

Last edited:

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Like I said, it's highly politicised but I've read some interesting stuff about San Fran going to shite because of misguided left wing policies (" blending empathy-driven progressivism with California libertarianism " "progressive leaders here have been LARPing left-wing values instead of working to create a livable city") rather than the usual right wing conservative heartlessness.
Was going to respond to that, when I was there it was the opposite of the libertarian-mentality that was the issue. It was far more that those most woke amongst us appreicated that we were in no position to judge the homeless and therefore put labels - or solutions - upon their plight. Rather we should all spend some time thinking about the historical mechanations that setup a society where inequality flourishes, sprinkle in some focus groups on race, a dash of frowning about the proliferation of narcotics and then we can all head back up the hill in time for evening yoga.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Pretty much an identical situation in LA. There are homeless encampments that randomly pop up on streets throughout the city and violent crime is pretty much the norm. I don't think its Lib policies that are at fault. Its the fact that the nation as a whole is seeing a widening gap between the haves and have nots, the results of which of course always manifest themselves in big cities.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Pretty much an identical situation in LA. There are homeless encampments that randomly pop up on streets throughout the city and violent crime is pretty much the norm. I don't think its Lib policies that are at fault. Its the fact that the nation as a whole is seeing a widening gap between the haves and have nots, the results of which of course always manifest themselves in big cities.
I mean, there's absolutely a correlation between homelessness and poverty. But it's not as though poverty in the US is at some kind of all time high. It's actually lower now than it was 10 years ago. So there has to be something else going on in towns/cities which have experienced an unusually big increase in people living on the streets over that period of time.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I mean, there's absolutely a correlation between homelessness and poverty. But it's not as though poverty in the US is at some kind of all time high. It's actually lower now than it was 10 years ago. So there has to be something else going on in towns/cities which have experienced a big increase in people living on the streets over that period of time.
That something else is a dramatic rise in the cost of living at time when wages aren't increasing by much. This disparity has resulted in a rise in ordinary people (ie not criminals) not being able to pay their rents and being forced onto the streets. Once homeless, its not always easy to reverse as one might think.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Poverty is the massive, underlying, issue but a very close second is the lack of housing in general and affordable housing entirely.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
That something else is a dramatic rise in the cost of living at time when wages aren't increasing by much. This disparity has resulted in a rise in ordinary people (ie not criminals) not being able to pay their rents and being forced onto the streets. Once homeless, its not always easy to reverse as one might think.
Poverty is the massive, underlying, issue but a very close second is the lack of housing in general and affordable housing entirely.
Yep. That' obviously a key factor too. Still doesn't explain why some specific towns are having a much worse experience than others.

Last edited:

hobbers

So there has to be something else going on in towns/cities which have experienced an unusually big increase in people living on the streets over that period of time.
Fentanyl certainly playing a part.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner

What a dump
A lot of American cities are like this. Found it hilarious when I was in Cape Town a few weeks ago and met lots of Americans from LA / San Fran talking about how scared they are in comparison to home. Totally blind.

Mick1991

Vaguely remember something about cities bussing their homeless and mentally ill off to other cities, not sure if that explains san fran/la issues. Decent weather for outside living too.

Wilt

What a dump
Yep, couple that up with the occasional earthquake feck knows why would anyone want to live there ….San Franshithole

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Yep, couple that up with the occasional earthquake feck knows why would anyone want to live there ….San Franshithole
It is a fantastic city if you have the money to live there. Big if though.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Was going to respond to that, when I was there it was the opposite of the libertarian-mentality that was the issue. It was far more that those most woke amongst us appreicated that we were in no position to judge the homeless and therefore put labels - or solutions - upon their plight. Rather we should all spend some time thinking about the historical mechanations that setup a society where inequality flourishes, sprinkle in some focus groups on race, a dash of frowning about the proliferation of narcotics and then we can all head back up the hill in time for evening yoga.
I lived in SF for 3 years, and it's just a weird place that feels like a science experiment destined to fail. Elitist, young, high-earning tech bros (and gals) living in the yuppy oases of Snob Hill/Marina/ juxtaposed against the homeless living in squalor in the Tenderloin.

Conor

Yep. That' obviously a key factor too. Still doesn't explain why some specific towns are having a much worse experience than others.
Wealthy, liberal cities with good weather are always going to attract the homeless.

Suedesi

SF spends over a billion on Homeless Services a year. Probably more than any city on earth but they get almost nothing for it. They just distribute cash and needles and agitate against any real change.

Suedesi

I'd love to see some studies about how people end up being homeless. I'd say there's a strong correlation (perhaps causation) between drug abuse and homelessness.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I think they said this happened in the nicer part of SanFran. If this is the nice part I don't want to know what happens in the bad parts.
It was in a more affluent part of the city, a tony part of SOMA if my recollection is correct. Obvs the killer wasn’t like minded.

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I lived in SF for 3 years, and it's just a weird place that feels like a science experiment destined to fail. Elitist, young, high-earning tech bros (and gals) living in the yuppy oases of Snob Hill/Marina/ juxtaposed against the homeless living in squalor in the Tenderloin.
When did you live there? I was able to live with my two best college friends in a house on Potrero Hill for $500 each. An absolute steal for what we had. This was in 98 & 99 while the dot com bubble was expanding rapidly. Even as a wine salesman, I had an incredible two years of earnings due to that.

Tenderloin was actually navigable back then.