Cathcart gone on loan

oskarutd

CART BEFORE THE START
Posted on: Fri 08 Aug 2008

ARGYLE have boosted their squad on the eve of the new Coca-Cola Championship with the signing of Manchester United starlet Craig Cathcart.

Cathcart, a 6ft 2in centre-back, has joined the Pilgrims on a six-month loan and goes straight into the squad for Saturday's season-opener against Wolves at Home Park.

He has been assigned the squad number 22.

Manager Paul Sturrock said: "Craig Cathcart is a big centre-half that we have been watching from afar.

"It is an area of the team where we had injuries and suspensions last year, and we eventually had to bring someone in on loan [Russell Anderson]. I don't want that scenario to happen again.

"He is a good centre-half with good qualities, and you don't play for Manchester United if you're not of a very decent standard.

"I am very happy to bring the boy on board and it is up to him to get himself in the team."

The 19-year-old left-footer has yet to make a first-team appearance for United, but is already a Northern Ireland Under-21 international.

The Belfast-born youngster also spent the first half of last season playing in the Belgian top flight, making 13 appearances for United's feeder club, Royal Antwerp.

Cathcart's route to Home Park has been similar to the one taken by former Pilgrim Sylvan Ebanks-Blake, who also starred for United's youth team and Royal Antwerp before donning the famous Green shirt.

Described on the Manchester United website as "tall, good in the air and strong in the tackle...is a prototypical centre-half...he also possesses the ability and confidence to bring the ball out of defence."

Cathcart was coveted by a number of clubs, including Chelsea, Arsenal and Rangers, when he was named the Northern Ireland Youth Player of the Year award in 2005, but signed trainee terms at Manchester United in July of that year.

By April 2007, he had been made captain of the youth team that reached the FA Youth Cup Final, although he himself missed both legs of the final.

He was called up to United's senior squad for the FA Cup sixth-round replay with Middlesbrough in March 2007 after Nemanja Vidi?'s injury, and was an unused substitute in the 7-1 Champions' League win against Roma and the FA Cup semi-final victory over Watford.

Speculation that this defensive injury crisis would lead to Cathcart making his senior debut ended when he suffered a season-ending knee injury in training.

At the start of last season, Cathcart was sent on a half-season loan to Royal Antwerp and made his debut for the Belgians in September against ROC de Charleroi-Marchienne.

He scored his first senior goal in the following game, and again in a match against AFC Tubize, when he was named man of the match.

link

Lot 49

Doom
Good move for him, he should do well in the championship.

kevg

Good move for me too, living in Plymouth I'll be able to watch Craig play this season. The word down here is that Argyle are trying to get Gibson in on loan too - though that will probably have to wait until United's injury/suspension/illness/olympic problems are over with.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Good move for me too, living in Plymouth I'll be able to watch Craig play this season. The word down here is that Argyle are trying to get Gibson in on loan too - though that will probably have to wait until United's injury/suspension/illness/olympic problems are over with.

Unlucky mate ;)

Could be a good move for him, and it means my few visits down to Home Park each year might actually be worth the trip

dev1l

Ferguson gives Northern Ireland's Craig Cathcart the nod for Man United clash

Northern Ireland youngster Craig Cathcart has been handed a golden opportunity to show Manchester United what he can do.

Cathcart (20), has been called into Sir Alex Ferguson’s senior squad for the Audi Cup, which starts in Munich tomorrow night.

United take on Boca Juniors and then on Thursday the Red Devils will face either hosts Bayern Munich or AC Milan.

Cathcart has dreams of following in the footsteps of countryman Jonny Evans, who has come through the ranks at Old Trafford to become an influential figure in Ferguson’s squad.

Like Evans, Northern Ireland under-21 ace Cathcart has been on loan in Belgium and last season had a spell with Plymouth.

It was thought that he would go out on loan again this season for more experience, but perhaps Ferguson has other plans for the Belfast boy.

He is expected to play in one of United’s Audi Cup matches.

Tomorrow night new United recruit Antonio Valencia, signed for £18 million from Wigan, is set to make his debut for the club against Boca Juniors after recovering from injury. As well as Valencia and Cathcart, Nemanja Vidic, linked with summer moves to Real Madrid and Barcelona, also joined up with the United squad today.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/s...t--the-nod-for-man-united-clash-14435600.html

arjwiz

sold?

Rumours are that he's been sold to plymouth. Are these substantiated? Disappointing if true. He has a lot of potential from what I've seen over the past few years.

Btw, we really need a blackberry plugin for the caf!

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
Was just coming on to post the same (rumour from ManUnitedYouth on Twitter)

Disappointed if it is true that we have sold him. He looked very good in the summer and could have provided good back up through the season. Hopefully the rumours are not true - one be the second young defender to leave that I thought had a chance - after eckersley.

prateik

another season long loan wouldve been better

we sold shawcross and he has done very well since

PS18

Would make no sense at all.
Wouldn't make much sense from our viewpoint, but I could potentially see why Cathcart would want to move on. Maybe he looks at those ahead of him in the pecking order and doesn't see any real prospect of breaking into the first team in the next couple of years, so decides it's best to make a clean break and move on, á la Shawcross.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Rumors are just that though.

However defensively we've a fair few good prospects like de laet and chester ec. I would doubt it though personally but we'll know if it's true later today

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Rumors are just that though.

However defensively we've a fair few good prospects like de laet and chester ec. I would doubt it though personally but we'll know if it's true later today
I'd keep Cathcart before I'd keep Chester. I guess further down the line we've got the likes of McGinty and the Italian lads. But Cathcart is the only young player I could see coming in and doing a decent job in the first team at the moment.

prateik

if it does go through, then i guess i'll be watching a lot of newcastle games this season
gibson,simpson and cathcart .. wow

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Rumors says that Gibson is off to Newcastle on loan as well.
I'm really surprised we even consider sending our younger lads to a basket-case club like Newcastle. Sure, things are going well enough now, but that club has the propensity to self destruct at the click of your fingers.

It surprises me that Gibson could be going anywhere given how SAF has talked him up and talked about his rapid development. I'd have thought that Championship football was probably below the standard of what he needs now.

And it's not as though we're looking particularly brilliant in central midfield ourselves.

prateik

apparently newcaslte had bid 1.75m for cathcart

Newcastle United are hoping to resurrect a deal for defender Craig Cathcart after a proposed £1.75m switch to St James's Park fell through on transfer deadline day.

trying to get him on loan now

so gibson/cathcart arent gone yet .. but might still leave on loan
weird its so hard to get any updates on these .. noone seems to know whats happening

dev1l

hampionship - Cathcart loaned to Watford

Eurosport - Mon, 14 Sep 12:29:00 2009
Buzz Up!

Watford have signed Manchester United defender Craig Cathcart on loan until January.
FOOTBALL Craig Cathcart of Manchester United, joining Watford on loan - 0
More Stories

* Watford team page
* DeMerit worry for Hornets

The 20-year-old joins fellow United rookie Tom Cleverley at Vicarage Road after boss Malky Mackay beat off competition from a host of clubs for his signature.

Cathcart spent last season on loan at Plymouth, making 33 appearances for the west country club.

He will link up with the Hornets after Tuesday night's trip to Home Park.
PA Sport
Championship - Cathcart loaned to Watford - Yahoo! Eurosport UK

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
And here I was hoping to see him figure in the Carling Cup game coming up..

prateik

i wanted him to go to watford or keano's side
they did sell a defender on deadline day to pompey didnt they
cleverley seems to be doing well there
hope cathcart does well too

Chris H

Video Posting God
hampionship - Cathcart loaned to Watford

Watford have signed Manchester United defender Craig Cathcart on loan until January. The 20-year-old joins fellow United rookie Tom Cleverley at Vicarage Road after boss Malky Mackay beat off competition from a host of clubs for his signature.
A Scotsman - seems to have a good relationship with Sir Alex. Hope Cathcart's loan is as successful as Cleverley's has been so far. If it is, might be a Sunderland 06/07 kind of situation, two loanees (Evans & Simpson) helping drag the club toward the Premiership. Would be great experience for both players.

If Cathcart pans out there, he won't be the last young United player to go on loan at Vicarage Road. We've had some awful luck with loans, good to see some go the way they're supposed to.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
Good club to be at right now. Lansbury off Arsenal is doing well there aswell
Really? Landsbury is at Watford as well? When exactly did that happen? I missed that I think..

prateik

apparently had a good game against reading on saturday ..

both cathcart and cleverley are doing well at watford , who are 7th in the championship..

not bad .. hope they can push on and make it here

Decotron

Really? Landsbury is at Watford as well? When exactly did that happen? I missed that I think..
Not sure to be honest. I was waching him for England a while back and it was the first time Id really ever seen him play well. As you know his name had been doing the rounds for ages, I never saw the reason before that night.