Cavani, Hit or Big Hit?

Betson

I know we didn’t exactly have a pre season, but signing him a month earlier would have made it much easier for him to hit the ground running.
He was clearly a last minute panic buy , as he was available all summer and looking for a club. But sometimes panic buys work out and this one has so far.

Worth noting that Bruno was also a bit of panic buy , we took a good look at him and could have had him the summer before we got him in January but were not sure about him so let Spurs have a free run but luckily they declined also , going elsewhere.

Then January comes around , we get a few big injuries ,, doing very poorly in the league and a toxic atmosphere around the club , they felt they had to do something so took a gamble on Bruno.

Some of least sure about signings have turned out to be our best signings.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
:lol: Did you just start supporting utd 18 months ago?

He gives us a different type of option upfront but we were still 2nd in the league and advancing in most cups when he wasn't playing. He is more the cherry on top.

RVP much better all around.

recency bias one hell of a drug.
fecking hell some of those posts

tomaldinho1

We scored 54 goals in the league that season, one of the poorest return for us. Maybe we just shut the shop after going a goal ahead, which isn't the case now. So Greenwood scoring the 3rd goal in extra time shouldn't devalue Cavani's goal vs Spurs. It's the winner.

Anyways for me individually Zlatan had better season than Cavani but I would take Cavani over Zlatan everytime.
Yep although to be balanced if you look at the team, we are levels above where we were then. We actually have a proper defence + good depth in midfield and the younger players are much better now. Jose was all wrong for us but he knew if you just keep feeding Ibra, he'll score goals. I also think Ibra of 3 years ago would be smashing them in for us if he joined us today. We are lucky to have seen both at OT.

For what it is worth, I would take peak Cavani over Ibra purely because our current system demands mobility - that's the way football is going, lots of technically gifted athletes who will press for 90mins + keep possession and be able to play in fluid system but Ibra's first season has definitely been 'better' for me.

matt10000

Love seeing these threads a year after they are created.

The guy is the 3rd top scorer after the two GOATs over the past 11 years. He's born winner and goalscorer and is in my top 3 favourite players of all time for us.

I'm waiting for the winner from him in the Europa league :)
Top 3 favourite players of all time for us?

Are you a goldfish?

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
I'd go with Cavani in vs Zlatan simply because imo we play so much better football now. I'm not a huge Zlatan fan, so surely biased. All that "lion" nonsense :houllier: He had a big influence, in a team that was a bit meh, which arguably makes his influence even better.

Stacks

Zlatan was good as is Cavani. Zlatan missed a lot of chances but I don’t blame him for that. What I do think is a key difference was that our tactics under Jose was centred around Zlatan. It was Zlatan or bust. With Cavani we have more of a team player
He also had waaay more pressure on his shoulders as the only quality attacker in a poor team with one creative outlet. Cavani comes into a team that has been 2nd and advanced to the Europa semis with minimal input from him due to lack of availability.

Stacks

fecking hell some of those posts
please refute them then. How can Cavani be top 3 United players of all time?

We have been 2nd since week 16 and he had only scored in a handful of games during that period until recently.

RVP best season 30 goals 15 assists. He was also much better with the ball outside of the box. I get he (Cavani) is the new flavour of the month but no one was comparing him to RVP before this recent run

EDIT: My apologies I think I may have misjudged your intentions. It appears from your posts that you also notice Cavani had limited impact up until about 2 months ago. I got a bit confused what you meant

ReddBalls

He was clearly a last minute panic buy , as he was available all summer and looking for a club. But sometimes panic buys work out and this one has so far.

Worth noting that Bruno was also a bit of panic buy , we took a good look at him and could have had him the summer before we got him in January but were not sure about him so let Spurs have a free run but luckily they declined also , going elsewhere.
Or, you know, United actually managed to get the price and wages down by not being desperate and pay the asking price.

Betson

Or, you know, United actually managed to get the price and wages down by not being desperate and pay the asking price.

The asking price came down because clubs like us and Spurs walked away , we pulled out first in the summer and left it to Spurs , they looked at him and decided on another player instead. They could have had him then.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Are some really discounting Cavani v Zlatan because of the overall numbers?

Extrapolate Cavani’s season out with the same minutes played & his output would be similar to Zlatan’s.

Both were very important to the clubs in their respective years.

Raveneye

But my opinion didn’t include any blanket future opinion? It was an assessment, at the time, based on what had happened up until that point.

There’s a reason that the thread was even created you’d think? It would suggest that opinions varied massively at the time. Perhaps the timing of the thread was an issue but it was asking for an opinion when at that point Cavani had scored 3 goals from December to March and he’d been starting week in week out, one of the goals was the 5th in a 9-0 win, he wasn’t really getting chances regularly but when he did he’d missed some absolute sitters. He’d scored 3 goals in about 700 minutes.

The upturn in form, the importance of his goals and performances, the fact that he was a free transfer, should all impact on someone’s opinion at this point. Having a different opinion now, based on the evidence in front of you, absolutely should be the case in my opinion.

That doesn’t make an opinion from a different point in time wrong. Unless that opinion was that he’s a terrible player and will never be good enough.
Generally agreed!

Extrapolate Cavani’s season out with the same minutes played & his output would be similar to Zlatan’s
Kinda the point, isn't it.

The great thing about Zlatan is that he was constantly available and barely missed a game before his injury. Cavani didn't really get going for a good few months, whether due to fitness, injury or suspension. If he can start regularly next season and produce the kind of output he's been doing for the last month, it'll be a no-contest.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Kinda the point, isn't it.

The great thing about Zlatan is that he was constantly available and barely missed a game before his injury. Cavani didn't really get going for a good few months, whether due to fitness, injury or suspension. If he can start regularly next season and produce the kind of output he's been doing for the last month, it'll be a no-contest.
A bit regarding fitness, no doubt, but output per minute is much the same.

It’s also not really a knock on Cavani that there’s more competition for him.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I’m not seeing the favourable comparisons to Zlatan at all. Zlatan was one of our most important players the season he was with us. Degea, Pogba and Zlatan carried that team. Cavani has been a bit part player until the past month for one reason or another. He’s had nowhere near the impact Zlatan had. Also any comparisons to RVP at this point, do me a favour.