CB Choice for Europa League Final?

Jacko21

No pace, gets caught out against better teams.

Best position is in front of the back four like Carrick.
You're right he has no pace, but it's testimony to his reading of the game that he anticipates the danger and adjusts his positioning accordingly. That's his Dutch footballing education for you - he sees the bigger picture.

Blind's performances at CB are as much to do with who he is partnered with. He's still the brightest of the available defenders.

ferguson2

I would definitly go with Smalling and Blind at the back. Smalling nor Jones are the perfect CB we need at the moment. But i rather go with an uncomfortable Smalling, than with a slow Jones.

Coxy

Playing both Smalling and Jones between now and the final will more than likely lead to one of them getting injured
That's a good thing - otherwise you will need 1 of your subs in the final to take over!

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Blind has had some shaky moments but he's been good bar one or two games, it's Smalling and Jones I have concerns with, I'd go with Jones myself. He was playing well up until his injury, Smalling puts me on suicide watch the way he's played this year.

RedCurry

Going by Spurs game, it seems like Jose is giving Smalling and Jones enough time to gel with each other. I would think that they will both start with Darmian and Fellaini protecting them.

Web of Bissaka

From the little of what i've seen, Ajax basically have two ways of attacking, 1) mainly attacking from the centre shooting inside or outside from distance, and 2) crosses and wing play. They attack with pace, and obviously Dolberg is their most dangerous threat, but the other players should not be taken lightly too. They seemingly don't play with some kind of strong target man (I may be wrong), so we don't need smalling that much. Jones is a better option here I think.

Ajax often passes around the penalty box to create chances, always aiming to players at the centre to shoot from inside or outside the box. Jones and Blind is a better options imo for wiping the floor, intercepting their passes, and they're a lot better dealing against 'lightweight' players who rely more on pace, movement and dribbles. Smalling is a better option against bulkier striker. Valencia and Darmian is important defensively to negate their wing plays.

Either,
Valencia---Jones---Blind---Darmian​
Or,
Valencia---Jones---Smalling---Blind---Darmian​