CBD oil in football?

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
Recently the UFC struck a multi milion sponsor deal with Aurora Cannabis to allow fighters to use cbd-oil for pain recovery and management. There is also a trend developing of top athletes turning towards it for its benefits. The NFL has also stared exploring the idea of cbd-oil for its athletes.

In 2018, The World Doping Agency removed cbd-oil from the list of prohibited supplements.

Will this trend also find its way in football? I can only imagine the shares of cbd flying through the roof if clubs and footballers with big online followings started to advocate this.

Good idea for football if it helps the athletes for recovery during injuries?

Fletchageddon

I’d argue that footballers are already on much stronger and more effective pain relief *ahem*

Football doesn’t test for PEDs because it doesn’t want to find any. It would be very bad for business.

Rugby and Cycling are leading the way in testing. That’s why you always hear about positives in those sports. Because they are actually looking for them for the welfare of their athletes.

Positives stopped in football in the early 2000s because they realised it was bad for the brand.

Reactions: jojojo

DoomSlayer

It might already be used behind the scenes anyway.

I bet Nate Diaz is mad at that though, didn't he get a suspension from UFC because he was using CBD after a match in a press conference, or am I imagining that? :lol:

Andersons Dietician

It might already be used behind the scenes anyway.

I bet Nate Diaz is mad at that though, didn't he get a suspension from UFC because he was using CBD after a match in a press conference, or am I imagining that? :lol:
I’m not sure if he got suspended but I remember him vaping and talking about how it was CBD oil in it after a fight during a press conference as I think some asked him what he was smoking.

@Fletchageddon there is drug testing after football games. They might not test for everything to the extent of a USADA but players are randomly pulled aside after games to give urine samples and there is also random drug testing outside of games.

Last edited:

There needs to be a bit more research and regulation on it before it's allowed to be thrust into the spotlight of the biggest sport on earth. It would be reckless to allow it to be promoted to that extent before it's fully developed as a product. There is some evidence it's useful for chronic pain but not much yet that supports how it should be used or how useful it is for individual injuries.

Fletchageddon

@Fletchageddon there is drug testing after football games. They might not test for everything to the extent of a USADA but players are randomly pulled aside after games to give urine samples and there is also random drug testing outside of games.[/QUOTE]

It’s a lot less random than you’d think. That’s why Rio coming in to work still possibly ‘glowing’ and then avoiding (sorry, missing) his test was so stupid. He would have been tipped off well in advance and taken the necessary precautions.

*edit* no idea what’s happened to my quoting there.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
@Fletchageddon there is drug testing after football games. They might not test for everything to the extent of a USADA but players are randomly pulled aside after games to give urine samples and there is also random drug testing outside of games.

It’s a lot less random than you’d think. That’s why Rio coming in to work still possibly ‘glowing’ and then avoiding (sorry, missing) his test was so stupid. He would have been tipped off well in advance and taken the necessary precautions.

*edit* no idea what’s happened to my quoting there.
He too the test the following day and passed. It isn’t leaving his system in a day.

Abe144

Supports
CD Guadalajara
I'm all for it. It's effective and much safer than addictive and deadly pain pills

Last edited by a moderator:

Fletchageddon

He too the test the following day and passed. It isn’t leaving his system in a day.
Aww mate it absolutely does. You just have to dilute your blood until it’s below the threshold for a positive. With more clean blood or saline.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Is this the same as the cream? I went into a head shop yesterday and bought some CBD cream for $60.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Aww mate it absolutely does. You just have to dilute your blood until it’s below the threshold for a positive. With more clean blood or saline.
No amount of saline will clear it from hair mate, and that’s exactly what Rio offered up. The UK Sports drug testers declined to offer, suggesting they didn’t even dispute Rios claim he was drug free.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I’d argue that footballers are already on much stronger and more effective pain relief *ahem*

Football doesn’t test for PEDs because it doesn’t want to find any. It would be very bad for business.

Rugby and Cycling are leading the way in testing. That’s why you always hear about positives in those sports. Because they are actually looking for them for the welfare of their athletes.

Positives stopped in football in the early 2000s because they realised it was bad for the brand.
Interesting. What do you base this whole opinion on?

passing-wind

Even though CBD is subtracted from a cannabis plant the oil has nothing to do with using it for drugs use, there's no THC in its contents. THC is the element of cannabis that enables being high with all the psychological effects. Given the research there's not anything remotely negative aside the common misconception that is contingent with weed.

A9X SJ

Yeh was going to say that this is how that Dan Bilzerian has made his £$£$£

Fletchageddon

Interesting. What do you base this whole opinion on?
There were a ton of positives in football mid 90s to 00s (Pep Guardiola, Edgar Davids etc) then it all went quiet. Yet the fitness become more and more important to the game.

Then players started playing longer (the famous milanello lab, all those players in there 30s delaying their declines).

Then there was operacion puerto where the Spanish government refused to reveal the names of the footballers blood bags found.

Stories of Zidane and others being seen regularly at a blood ozone treatment centre in Switzerland

Xavi getting HGH accidentally revealed by the Barca doctor in an interview.

Closer to home Rooney and his metatarsal, injected up to the eyes to play on. Then sent to the now shamed Oregon Project for ‘fitness’.

Also re ‘Rios hair’ I think they agree that blood and urine are the only samples they take. Between players union and UKAD/WADA.

Reactions: oneniltothearsenal