Celtic Legends vs. Manchester United Legends

Minkaro

We had one for the charity game in France, so why not? This is happening tomorrow (August 9th) at 19.45, and being shown on ITV4.

Here's a recent article about it, with some of the people involved:

Roy Keane will be back in action in a Manchester United shirt on Tuesday night as the Red Devils face Celtic in a charity match in Glasgow.

Henrik Larsson, Teddy Sheringham, Dwight Yorke and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will also take part in the Celtic v Manchester United legends clash at Celtic Park, which is being played to raise funds for Oxfam's East Africa Famine Appeal.

United legend Keane, who played for Celtic for a season at the end of his career before turning to football management, will take to the field the day before his 40th birthday.

And as well as playing alongside former team-mates, Keane will also take to the field alongside celebrities including boxer Ricky Hatton, musician Richard Ashcroft and comedian Angus Deayton.

Celtic legend Larsson is relishing a return to the club where he spent some of the best years of his career.

"It will be a tremendous pleasure to return to Celtic Park and play in this charity match in front of the best fans in the world," he said.

"I played for seven incredible years in Glasgow and can't wait to get back and pull on the green and white Hoops once again."

Former Trinidad and Tobago striker Yorke has high expectations for the encounter, which kicks off at 7.45pm.

"This is shaping up to be a great game of football," he said.

"The Celtic team is a who's who of top legends and some very interesting celebs are making an appearance too. But just because this is a charity match doesn't mean we are coming up to make up the numbers.

"We have top Man United legends and a great squad of celebrities from music, film, TV and sport in our team, who can all play a bit. I know that Henrik always gets an amazing reception at Celtic Park and it's great that he's flying in for the game. It's going to be an amazing atmosphere up there."
Should be good fun.

Jonno

Dwight Yorke still gets about 10 games a year with friendlies/charity games.... its like the guy has never retired!

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Keano? feck feck feck, sorry...creamed my kecks. I must watch this.

Blair

Never been a big fan of the 'legend' games, but will probably watch a bit of this one seeing as Keane is playing.

buildabonfire

Would love to see Keano give professional City fan Ricky Hatton a bawling for being too fat to get to the ball...

what with Wayne carrying his belts to the ring, looks like a classic United wannabe...

Robbo

so Keano is ok to play in this game but not in Nevilles or Scholes testimonial...great player but a prick

Lynk

so Keano is ok to play in this game but not in Nevilles or Scholes testimonial...great player but a prick
Yes god forbid he plays in a charity game, what a complete cnut. What's worse is that he didn't go to old Trafford at all...Oh wait

Robbo

PM'd and asked to post the following...

CELTIC:
Manager: Martin O'Neill; Assistant Managers: Martin Melville & Alex Melville; Coach: Steve Walford
Players: Packie Bonner; Tom Boyd; Momo Sylla; John Kelly; Stephen Craig; Ricky Hatton; Henrik Larsson; Alan Thompson; Chris Sutton; John Hartson; Owen Coyle; Allen McKnight; Nicky Byrne; Bobby Petta; Roy Keane; Didier Agathe; Neil Lennon; Kyle Falconer; Pete Reilly; Steve Collins; Lubo Moravcik; Shaun Maloney; Johan Mjallby; John Kennedy; Frank McAvennie.

MANCHESTER UTD
Player/Manager: Gordon Strachan
Players: Roy Keane; Teddy Sheringham; Dwight Yorke; Dion Dublin; Brian McClair; Neil Webb; Quentin Fortune; Ole Gunnar Solskjaer; Paul Parker; Tinchy Stryder; Richard Ashcroft; Simon Webbe; Angus Deayton; Darren Campbell; Ricky Whittle; Nigel Benn; John Bailey; Patrick Kielty; Martin Offiah; Dane Bowers; Jeff Brazier; Russell Watson; Ralf Little.

Robbo

Yes god forbid he plays in a charity game, what a complete cnut. What's worse is that he didn't go to old Trafford at all...Oh wait
yes but he is playing for Celtic...6 months there..12 years at United...He seems to be making some point...

Lynk

yes but he is playing for Celtic...6 months there..12 years at United...He seems to be making some point...
Read the first fecking sentence properly. Jesus christ

Roy Keane will be back in action in a Manchester United shirt

gaz1185

Forgot to ask this, Keano walked past me on the way into the ground at Scholes's testimonial :keano: Was a little rushed to find out why he was there. Was he just a guest/watching the game?

Oh & if Keano is playing a half for each team, why can't Henrik? :smirk:

Lynk

Forgot to ask this, Keano walked past me on the way into the ground at Scholes's testimonial :keano: Was a little rushed to find out why he was there. Was he just a guest/watching the game?
Aye he was in the stands for both games...there was a great moment when Vieira was subbed on and the camera cut to Keano in the stands looking pissed off. :lol::lol:

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
MANCHESTER UTD
Players: Roy Keane; Teddy Sheringham; Dwight Yorke; Dion Dublin; Brian McClair; Neil Webb; Quentin Fortune; Ole Gunnar Solskjaer; Paul Parker; Tinchy Stryder; Richard Ashcroft; Simon Webbe; Angus Deayton; Darren Campbell; Ricky Whittle; Nigel Benn; John Bailey; Patrick Kielty; Martin Offiah; Dane Bowers; Jeff Brazier; Russell Watson; Ralf Little.

MUFCgal

Aye he was in the stands for both games...there was a great moment when Vieira was subbed on and the camera cut to Keano in the stands looking pissed off. :lol::lol:
I'd have loved Keano to be playing a part in Scholesy's and see him face Vieira again one more time :drool:

Lynk

I'd bet anything, that for Giggs' testimonial they'll bring back "that midfield 4" :drool::drool:

Robbo

Read the first fecking sentence properly. Jesus christ
calm down dear its a charity game...ok I did'nt read the article...dont really care though but you seem about to explode ...calm down...deep breaths

davisjw

PM'd and asked to post the following...

CELTIC:
Manager: Martin O'Neill; Assistant Managers: Martin Melville & Alex Melville; Coach: Steve Walford
Players: Packie Bonner; Tom Boyd; Momo Sylla; John Kelly; Stephen Craig; Ricky Hatton; Henrik Larsson; Alan Thompson; Chris Sutton; John Hartson; Owen Coyle; Allen McKnight; Nicky Byrne; Bobby Petta; Roy Keane; Didier Agathe; Neil Lennon; Kyle Falconer; Pete Reilly; Steve Collins; Lubo Moravcik; Shaun Maloney; Johan Mjallby; John Kennedy; Frank McAvennie.

MANCHESTER UTD
After his scare, it's nice to see him not only overcome it, but come back to play. I bet the grounds will be shaking with Celtic's line up.

Hope someone tosses the game on some file server for those of us in piss poor regions.

Lynk

calm down dear its a charity game...ok I did'nt read the article...dont really care though but you seem about to explode ...calm down...deep breaths
Because you called one of our greatest players a prick for no good reason.

Grande

One regretfully notable abscense, though:

King of United, Celtic's too
King of United, Celtic's too
King of United, Celtic's too ...
Skip to my Lou Macari

gaz1185

:lol: Quality. I really need to get round to watching the replay of Scholes's testimonial, only seen a replay of that goal he scored :drool:

Robbo

Because you called one of our greatest players a prick for no good reason.
ok maybe a bit strong but Keano seems sometimes to be on a mission to avoid reunions at OT..he played alongside Scholes and Nev for years and never offered to make himself available for them but will play in this games....I think he left under a cloud and still is sore about it..thats all....and by the way being a great player does not mean their character is great...I wonder what Fletcher made of being told by keane to go away at goal celebrations a few years ago..thats all...

Lynk

ok maybe a bit strong but Keano seems sometimes to be on a mission to avoid reunions at OT..he played alongside Scholes and Nev for years and never offered to make himself available for them but will play in this games....I think he left under a cloud and still is sore about it..thats all....and by the way being a great player does not mean their character is great...I wonder what Fletcher made of being told by keane to go away at goal celebrations a few years ago..thats all...
DARREN FLETCHER EXCLUSIVE: Teetotaller on being Fergie's enforcer | Mail Online

‘Roy was probably the biggest influence on my career,’ he says. ‘He would come down hard on me if I ever did anything wrong but he made me realise what it meant to be a Manchester United player.
‘I can remember coming in from training one day and checking my mobile phone for text messages. Well, that was it. He absolutely hammered me, all the way into the gym.
‘He was a great influence, really. If Roy had a go at you, he did it because he cared. He was the best captain you could wish for. He would tear you to shreds on the pitch if you gave away the ball, “get your effing touch right, effing this, effing that” but, as soon as you got into the dressing room, it was over. He was a winner. I’ve met dedicated professionals but he had something else.

Learn from the master: Fletcher with his mentor Roy Keane, and then United team-mate Phil Neville (No 3) in September 2003
‘The first time was scary, you thought, “Oh, I can’t make a mistake here”, but it was actually the best schooling you could get.
‘It was a shame the way it ended for him here. It’s hard to talk about the criticism and what he said, because we all looked up to him so much, he was respected by everybody.
‘We all just wish it hadn’t happened. He was our captain, he was our leader and he left a mark: where we are now is down to him, our dedication comes from the standards he set. The rules about time-keeping, about getting in a half-hour early, they were his instructions back in the day and those traditions continue.

Also, Keane turned up to both testimonials...It's got nothing to do with offering it's to do with being offered, Keane is 40 now.

Robbo

It was a shame the way it ended for him here. It’s hard to talk about the criticism and what he said, because we all looked up to him so much

as I say..I think Keane is bitter re the United ending...

davisjw

I just think Keano is one of those people who once he's moved on, that's it, he's moved on. I know plenty of people who have done that with jobs, mates, even family. That's just who they are - on to the next thing.

Keane has never made it known that he is a United fanboy who'll stay around like Ole, Neville, nor is he the cheerleader kind like Beckham. He makes his unbiased opinions and shows respect.

I don't have a problem with him not playing in the testimonial. Although it's a friendly, it's a competitive one and he hasn't played in what, 4/5 years? Whatever it is. This friendly is a proper kick around with oldies - no pressure from people in their prime, no young ones blasting past you, no press gossip, just a lovely tap around.

Albeit, I would of loved to see him take on Rooney :devil: