Center Backs Situation

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
We currently have Varane, Lindeloff, Maguire, Bailly and Jones.
On loan Tuanzebe, Di Shon Bernard and Mengi.

Yet I think we need to bring a top tier CB to partner Varane if we are serious about the title.

If we are to believe what is being reported, Bailly will be gone. Maguire should be gone.
Jones?
Certainly one of the loanees...Mengi? can be a back up next season.

Gandalf

We currently have Varane, Lindeloff, Maguire, Bailly and Jones.
On loan Tuanzebe, Di Shon Bernard and Mengi.

Yet I think we need to bring a top tier CB to partner Varane if we are serious about the title.

If we are to believe what is being reported, Bailly will be gone. Maguire should be gone.
Jones?
Certainly one of the loanees...Mengi? can be a back up next season.
Very strong links to us bidding for Ronald Araujo who definitely fit the bill I think and is certainly the profile of player that fits RR philosophy, strong, fast, technically sound and under 23.

Newstyle

Let’s buy a new CB every year. Not like we have any other areas more imminent to cover.

Ixion

Baily will be gone soon and I think rightly or wrongly we can rule out Jones, at most he'll be occasionally in the squad for emergencies. I think for the time being, Lindelof and Maguire cover the 2nd CB spot well enough, I would rather look at a couple of CMs and a long term replacement for Ronaldo/Cavani.

Agree we need a new partner for Varane, we are fine for back ups, I wouldn’t be opposed to Bailly staying. I seem to be one of the few who rates Lindelof highly. He isn’t great in the air which is a big shame but I think he’s great with the ball at his feet.

Let’s hope we can find a taker for Maguire to help fund his replacement. I know for a fact though the board will not accept they made a terrible mistake and take a loss on him. They always make decisions to spite themselves. Anything but admit they messed up.

RedDevil@84

First let's bring in proper defensive midfielders. Then we can evaluate the CBs. We cannot keep buying all kinds of CBs . We are not City.
And Maguire and Bailly going away is bare minimum, in case we want to go into market for a CB.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Very strong links to us bidding for Ronald Araujo who definitely fit the bill I think and is certainly the profile of player that fits RR philosophy, strong, fast, technically sound and under 23.
Who the feck cares if he fits RR's philosophy? He won't be our manager next season (I hope)

charlenefan

Maguire isn't going anywhere either, he's been a good signing having a poor season like most of the team. Let's not write him off shall we especially when many were raving about him at the end of last season and again for England during the summer

Oranges038

Maguire, Bailly, Jones and Tuanzebe should all be sold off.

Get rid of those 4 and bring in 1 really good defender and one more as backup, also think we could do with a solid utility player that can just slot in anywhere across the back and do a job if needed.

And Give Mengi another year on loan to see how he develops.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Zero chance of Maguire leaving on his wages. Whatever happens he will be at the club next season

Jones at best maybe loaned out, but I suspect he will be here next season

Rockets Redglare

We’ll never get rid of Maguire now. fecking stuck with the big useless lump unless we take a major hit.

Gandalf

Who the feck cares if he fits RR's philosophy? He won't be our manager next season (I hope)
Thank you for your charming response. The reason we should care is because RR will be here for 2 more years minimum as a consultant and it has been made clear that he will be a big part of the decision making process when it comes to transfers. We could of course carry on with the sure fire winning strategy of buying any old shit with no rhyme or reason but personally I would prefer an actual philosophy and team identity to drive our transfer business, I am sorry that you don't.

Jezpeza

See hes getting the stick here but Maguire is a decent centre back on form. He was overpriced but he’s a good player. I think someone better to partner Varane would be my ideal scenario, with Maguire and Lindelof as bench/squad options. You build a good squad by buying players that bench your current ones.

Bernard and Mengi will be good in future i believe.

Jones, Bailly, Tuanzabe all a mix of too injury prone and not good enough so should be out the door at some stage.

charlenefan

Thank you for your charming response. The reason we should care is because RR will be here for 2 more years minimum as a consultant and it has been made clear that he will be a big part of the decision making process when it comes to transfers. We could of course carry on with the sure fire winning strategy of buying any old shit with no rhyme or reason but personally I would prefer an actual philosophy and team identity to drive our transfer business, I am sorry that you don't.
Source?

charlenefan

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Most pressing area is MF for me. Then RB although Dalot looks promising.

Gandalf

So not the big part you said then
It is one of a number of articles covering similar ground, Murtough feels RR has more experience and better contacts and so his consultancy role will focus more on transfer targets rather than a DOF role. I have no intention of spending time collecting articles for you to read as last time I checked I was not your paid researcher and it is fairly clear you are more interested in trying to score some obscure message board "points" than acknowledging facts. The topic of the thread was to review our Center Backs and on that front you have not contributed a single thing.

charlenefan

It is one of a number of articles covering similar ground, Murtough feels RR has more experience and better contacts and so his consultancy role will focus more on transfer targets rather than a DOF role. I have no intention of spending time collecting articles for you to read as last time I checked I was not your paid researcher and it is fairly clear you are more interested in trying to score some obscure message board "points" than acknowledging facts. The topic of the thread was to review our Center Backs and on that front you have not contributed a single thing.
:lol::lol::lol:

The facts are no one knows specifically what RR will be doing for the club, Christ even RR in his first press conference didn't seem to know so my point stands

It's a good job you're not a paid researcher, you're shit at it

TSE123

The problem is not the CBs. The problem is the defensive midfield. There is no CB in the world who would come in and sort uniteds problems.
I wrote it somewhere else (so appologies for repeating), but all other forum threads could be locked until we have at least one new defensive midfielder. Once the midfield is sorted we can begin to evaluate the rest, but until then the rest wont get a fair chance.

Gandalf

:lol::lol::lol:

The facts are no one knows specifically what RR will be doing for the club, Christ even RR in his first press conference didn't seem to know so my point stands

It's a good job you're not a paid researcher, you're shit at it
You have not actually made a point, it could in fact be said that you are pointless. Internet troll gonna troll though.

charlenefan

Settle down, he gave you a source, you're just arguing semantics now. RR will have input beyond his half season here.
I'm questioning whether or not buying a CB who fits RR's philosophy is relevant or not and so far the only argument I've been given is that he'll have a big say in our transfers which by the source provided actually says he'll have a degree of influence which reads to me as a something someone said with their fingers crossed behind their backs

charlenefan

You have not actually made a point, it could in fact be said that you are pointless. Internet troll gonna troll though.
I'm a troll because I'm challenging you?

Oh and reported btw :)

Thiagoal

I would suggest centre back is the very least of our problems! Put a proper holding midfielder in the side and our centre backs will look like the international class players that they are! Maguire is having a shocking season but I think the Euros proved what a great player he can be!

Ibi Dreams

Not concerned that much about centre backs tbh

They look worse because of our midfield. Varane is top quality, already our best defender and hasn't even settled yet. Maguire and Lindelof are both good players. Jones is a bit of a wildcard because who knows how much or well he can play going forward. Best to leave him out of the discussion tbh. Bailly will probably leave, and I'm fine with that. We should be looking for one centre back, I don't think we need more than that.

charlenefan

Reported for what? Only one of us called the other shit. Is there any possibility you could actually make a comment that is relevant to the topic or are you just here to throw abuse and clutch your pearls in horror when someone responds to you?
No I said you'd be shit at a job you don't do, weird your reaction to that is to call me an insulting name

flappyjay

First let's bring in proper defensive midfielders. Then we can evaluate the CBs. We cannot keep buying all kinds of CBs . We are not City.
And Maguire and Bailly going away is bare minimum, in case we want to go into market for a CB.
our defenders have made mistakes but the bigger issue has been the fact that we have been defending poorley collectively as a team. We can truly evaluate our strength defensively when we solve the midfield issue.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I've no idea why people get into this stupid arguments.

Re: Araújo, Xavi rates him highly so I'd be very surprised if he moves anywhere @Gandalf

Re: Maguire, I agree he is largely having a poor season @charlenefan I see no problem with him being one of our four centrebacks. He is rarely injured for starters.

Gandalf

I've no idea why people get into this stupid arguments.

Re: Araújo, Xavi rates him highly so I'd be very surprised if he moves anywhere @Gandalf

Re: Maguire, I agree he is largely having a poor season @charlenefan I see no problem with him being one of our four centrebacks. He is rarely injured for starters.
Sorry about that, will stay on topic.

Araujo, the issue seems to be that he is currently on a very low salary with his contract expiring in 2023. Barca do want to keep him but they are trying to get him to sign for far less than he is worth and both ourselves and Chelsea are linked. The reports today suggest we have a leg up as we have already agreed to meet the salary demands of the player and his agent.

Euro Paper Talk: Barcelona in panic mode as Man Utd step in for Araujo (teamtalk.com)

Red Dreams

I respect those who mention a DM as being a priority.
We need to get one this window if we are not to drift down the table should McT get injured.
We will be dependent on Fred and Matic.

But if we are serious about the title, we must strengthen the spine next season.

DM, CB and striker.

Red Dreams

Sorry about that, will stay on topic.

Araujo, the issue seems to be that he is currently on a very low salary with his contract expiring in 2023. Barca do want to keep him but they are trying to get him to sign for far less than he is worth and both ourselves and Chelsea are linked. The reports today suggest we have a leg up as we have already agreed to meet the salary demands of the player and his agent.
I have read this too.

Bondi77

What is your source of these very strong links?

DickDastardly

So, whats the question?

Varane - Lindelof partnership until one of them eventually gets injured.

In comes the slabhead.
Jones can stay as no.4
Mengi comes on as the young contender.

Sell Bailly.

Focus on the midfield please.
We need at least 3 of them.