Centre Back Options - One injury shows our complete lack of strength in depth

With Maguire out. We only have one centre back against PSG in Lindelof.

I suspect only City have spend more on centrebacks than we have over the past 5 years, yet, one injury and we are exposed.

our options to partner Lindelof are:
  1. Shaw - a left back, who I’m not sure has ever played at a centre back, and perhaps a handful of times as part of a back
  2. McT - a midfielder, who played once I think at CB under Jose, when petulant Jose player him there to make a point. He didn’t play well. Has played a couple of times for Scotland at part of a back 3
  3. Tuanzebe - not played in over a year, and has less than 10 appearances for United. Has potential, but has to be in the last chance saloon at United because of his lack of availability.
  4. TMF - really scraping the barrel now. Was somewhat resurrected from the dead at the end of last season. But has spent most of his time as a right back

how damming for Jones and Rojo. 40m of centre backs who are completely useless. one injury to Maguire exposes how short we are at the back.​

drunkmonkmeth

Supports
Toronto FC!
Yeah someone didn't think this thread though when they made it did they :lol:
Bailly is injured.. outside of his injuries hes a decent cb. I think it time to definitely cut our loses on him next summer. Cant have an injury prone player like him part of our plans any longer. If we re planning to ship out jones and rojo I think we need 2 cbs in january or summer windows to cover because realistically it leaves us with mcguire lindelof and tuanzebe. Bailly cannot be considered a reliable player in our plans due to his track record.

A-man

This is why a reliable PL level CB should have been prioritised. We spent the whole last season with Lindelof and Maguire who has to play through fatigue and smaller injuries. How could not alarm bells have rung? It was just a question of time until one of them caught an injury. Doesn’t matter if Bailly is amazing, which he isn’t, or if Tuanzebe has potential, when they are never fit.

SER19

Will have to go 352/532

Awb- lindelof-tuanzebe-Shaw - Telles

Judas

Open to offers
Bailly can’t be counted as an option even if by some miracle he’d been fit for tomorrow, he’s never fit for any great length of time and the truth is he’s not that good anyway.

el3mel

We handled Maguire's minutes a little bit poorly to be honest. He was the only player who never got a rest and played pretty much every single game as long as he's fit. We had this injury coming.

The options are shite but I'll go with TFM then.

KevinJoh

I will bet on Lindelof, Fosu Mensah and Shaw playing in back three, with AWB and Williams or Telles as wing backs. Doubt that Tuanzebe will start after not playing a minute of football for a year or so, while Mengi is also below Fosu in a pecking order. My bet is that we will go with something like this
De Gea
AWB, Fosu, Lindelof, Shaw, Williams
Matic, Pogba, Bruno
Martial and Rashford

But I would not be surprised to see Pogba on the bench with Fred or McTominay in the midfield.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
he’s as relevant at Jones and Rojo. Can never be relied upon. I’d rather have the options I’ve outlined than him.
Point being is you obviously completely forgot about him initially and your clickbait title isn't one injury exposing a lack of strength in depth at all. The club has 6 senior CB's at the club, that's double the amount Liverpool have

I will bet on Lindelof, Fosu Mensah and Shaw playing in back three, with AWB and Williams or Telles as wing backs. Doubt that Tuanzebe will start after not playing a minute of football for a year or so, while Mengi is also below Fosu in a pecking order. My bet is that we will go with something like this
De Gea
AWB, Fosu, Lindelof, Shaw, Williams
Matic, Pogba, Bruno
Martial and Rashford

But I would not be surprised to see Pogba on the bench with Fred or McTominay in the midfield.
I think it will be Lindelof, McT and Shaw as a back 5/4 with AWB and Telles as full backs. Either way, both the defences we have picked are in trouble.

Dve

I suspect only City have spend more on centrebacks than we have over the past 5 years, yet, one injury and we are exposed.

our options to partner Lindelof are:
  1. Shaw - a left back, who I’m not sure has ever played at a centre back, and perhaps a handful of times as part of a back
  2. McT - a midfielder, who played once I think at CB under Jose, when petulant Jose player him there to make a point. He didn’t play well. Has played a couple of times for Scotland at part of a back 3
  3. Tuanzebe - not played in over a year, and has less than 10 appearances for United. Has potential, but has to be in the last chance saloon at United because of his lack of availability.
  4. TMF - really scraping the barrel now. Was somewhat resurrected from the dead at the end of last season. But has spent most of his time as a right back

how damming for Jones and Rojo. 40m of centre backs who are completely useless. one injury to Maguire exposes how short we are at the back.​
You forgot about the maybe most obvious option: Mengi.

Point being is you obviously completely forgot about him initially and your clickbait title isn't one injury exposing a lack of strength in depth at all. The club has 6 senior CB's at the club, that's double the amount Liverpool have
Bailly is never fit, and when he plays is appalling. It’s an indication of how bad he is, that I forgot him and even remembered Jones and Rojo ahead of him.

the point is valid, that beyond Maguire and Lindelof, we don’t have any back up.

Liverpool don’t have Bailly. jones and Rojo. No other PL club would want any of them on their payroll, we have all three.

Dve

well.

what an introduction that would be. Personally I’ve not seen him play, but reports are obviously very good. Would not be the ideal debut, but perhaps needs must?
Seems like he´s not travelling, so then I guess it will be Fosu-Mensah in a back 5. He did well at CD in the friendly against Villa, so I can see him him getting the nod over Tuanzebe.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Bailly is never fit, and when he plays is appalling. It’s an indication of how bad he is, that I forgot him and even remembered Jones and Rojo ahead of him.

the point is valid, that beyond Maguire and Lindelof, we don’t have any back up.

Liverpool don’t have Bailly. jones and Rojo. No other PL club would want any of them on their payroll, we have all three.
Your point isn't valid at all the club have 6 first choice CB's at the club. If the club can't keep 2 of the 6 fit at all times then it's not for the want of trying

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Wel most clubs would struggle if their no 1, no 3 and no 5 choice CBs were injured.
I don’t see the issue

Your point isn't valid at all the club have 6 first choice CB's at the club. If the club can't keep 2 of the 6 fit at all times then it's not for the want of trying
Yet 2 are person not grata, one hasn’t played for more than a year and played less than 10
Games for us, and the other is... Bailly :lol:

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Jones, Rojo and Bailly are a waste of space, useless on the pitch even on the rare occasion they are available. Tuanzebe unfortunately no much better on the injury front. The sooner we can rely on Mengi as an option and forget about the first 3 the better.

el3mel

Dare I ask how Bailly has managed to get injured. He was an unused sub only 2 days ago
Who knows. Him and Jones are injured eternally. It's when they're actually fit is the real question.

Red_toad

So 1 injury to Harry, 1 to Tuanzebe, 1 to Jones and 1 to Bailly = 1 injury?
That’s 4 in my math!