Centre Back... Who do we go for?

greendevil

I think Willy Boly of Wolves would be a great acquisition, big strong defender whose comfortable on the ball and proven now in the premier league with a team that play good football.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Boly is very good yes but (scouser) Coady is the pick of the Wolves CBs IMO. I expect him to return to Liverpool at some point. The concern I would have with signing any of them is that they are used to playing in a different system as a 3.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Seen people mentioning Ben White who's been on loan at Leeds from Brighton this season. He's been immense the few times I've seen him - fast, reads the game well, great saving challenges, and can pick a pass/carry the ball out brilliantly. He's only 22 (?) now, and there are some big clubs in for him.
Have heard good things about him, yeah.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Boly is very good yes but (scouser) Coady is the pick of the Wolves CBs IMO. I expect him to return to Liverpool at some point. The concern I would have with signing any of them is that they are used to playing in a different system as a 3.
Wolves look like they have all their players on lock and would only sell if it's stupid money

Rolaholic

Honestly feel like an injection of quality at CB is necessary at this stage because I really don't see Lindelof as a starting CB on a title challenging team.

Maguire for all the stick he gets when he makes a mistake still has redeeming qualities and has had a strong first season overall, just that his mistakes get amplified due to his price tag ala Pogba. Lindelof on the other hand has more bang average to bad performances than good ones.

Hoping we can get one of those young French Leipzig CB's in or a solid PL CB even though they always go for a premium. Think it'll go a long way towards us getting back where we want to be a a club

TheGame

Need a CB with pace. Bailly has all of the qualities but seems to have bad luck with injuries. Need to be careful about the right player though as I remember when the meltdown when we didn’t sign Sakho or Mangala and we know how they turned out to be. Careful to pick the right player.

croadyman

Need a CB with pace. Bailly has all of the qualities but seems to have bad luck with injuries. Need to be careful about the right player though as I remember when the meltdown when we didn’t sign Sakho or Mangala and we know how they turned out to be. Careful to pick the right player.
The first five words of the sentence sums up our need in this position absolutely perfectly

Walters_19_MuFc

Unless there's anyone out there that's considerably better than Maguire and Lindelof - someone like Van Dijk, for example, then we shouldn't be going in for a centre back.

That being said, Ole might be happy with the Maguire and Lindelof partnership and may just want to add depth. If so, I think Ake would be a good addition because he can fill the centre back and left-back position.

If we look at Sir Alex's sides, he made sure that versatility was something he looked at when acquiring players.

croadyman

Unless there's anyone out there that's considerably better than Maguire and Lindelof - someone like Van Dijk, for example, then we shouldn't be going in for a centre back.

That being said, Ole might be happy with the Maguire and Lindelof partnership and may just want to add depth. If so, I think Ake would be a good addition because he can fill the centre back and left-back position.

If we look at Sir Alex's sides, he made sure that versatility was something he looked at when acquiring players.
Well when you look at that article about Utd being open to signing a CB it does give me the impression that we are looking at more of a backup option than a starter but maybe that's just me misinterpreting things

Walters_19_MuFc

Well when you look at that article about Utd being open to signing a CB it does give me the impression that we are looking at more of a backup option than a starter but maybe that's just me misinterpreting things
Have you got the link to the article please, mate?

Eggberto

Lucas Klostermann Has looked a really solid defender the times I have seen him for RB Leipzig, can play both CB and RB.

poleglass red

that's been a problem for us in recent seasons, we think we have to buy the best players and then they will gel automatically , it doesn't work that way. You have to buy players that fit your structure. Maguire and Lindelof on their own are good players, but as a partnership at the top level, they don't work. Both are slow, and not positionally great. Lindelof isn't exactly comfortable on the ball yet Ole wants to play out from the back. We don't neccessarily need a better player than them, we need one that compliments whomever we go wit,h which most would assume, is Maguire. Maguire needs pace, that is evident, we also need someone comfortable on the ball. Right now on the right hand side of defence we have Lindelof and AWB who both whilst not bad per se, aren't exactly comfortable on the ball esp when pressed. During the recent tributes paid to jack charlton recently, there was quote from Ramsey referenced when Jack Charlton asked the then manager of england, how come he'd picked him for this great team and he replied "I'm not necessarily picking the best players - but the best team." That's a bit of advice given over 40 yrs ago that maybe we should apply more when targettng new players.

SteveW

Anyone who doesn't think we need a CB are out of their minds.

We have:
Maguire - good
Lindelof - ok
Bailly - unreliable lunatic, rarely fit
Tuanzebe - Talented but a full season injured. Almost zero PL experience. Maybe back in September.
Mengi - Talented but 18 years old

Think about what would happen if Maguire had a long injury. We'd be left with Lindelof an 18 year old and whichever, if either of the other 2 managed to be/stay fit. It doesn't bear thinking about.

Ignoring the following because they are pretty obviously not in Ole's plans and most likely won't be here next season.

Smalling - Likely off to Roma
Jones - Likely sold once fit again
Rojo - Heading back to Argentina

Mark Pawelek

Been linked to Pau Torres from Villarreal. 23 years old (dob: 16 Jan 1997). Good injury record. Quite fast. Taller than Linderof. Good long balls. Even chips in with an occasional goal.

Mylock

Gabriel from Lille looks like good option, he seems to be highly rated. I haven't seen him live so it's hard to know but he ticks a lot of the boxes from the YouTube videos. Has anyone seen him in live matches that could give more insite into his performances?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
The first five words of the sentence sums up our need in this position absolutely perfectly
Sadly, the next 6 demonstrate how poor some fans observations are. Bailly has very poor defensive qualities: His reading of the game is non existent, using his pace to cover. His heading is average for a CB, his tackling rash( red always waiting to happen), poor judgement( just look at the jump that gave the penalty away against Bournemouth). If his injury problems were the only thing prevent him from being class, I'd feel for him but he's a mid table /Championship level defender

Inigo Montoya

Gabriel from Lille looks like good option, he seems to be highly rated. I haven't seen him live so it's hard to know but he ticks a lot of the boxes from the YouTube videos. Has anyone seen him in live matches that could give more insite into his performances?
Lets ask @JPRouve

Inigo Montoya

Been linked to Pau Torres from Villarreal. 23 years old (dob: 16 Jan 1997). Good injury record. Quite fast. Taller than Linderof. Good long balls. Even chips in with an occasional goal.

That's a bit personal, isn't it? I thought we were only assessing his football qualities

Ronaldo#7

We should definitely sign young gun Malang Sarr on a free who's contract at Nice just expired. He's also a left footer!!

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The only CB we have that is aerially dominant is Maguire. And if he suffers a injury then we become very vulnerable to corners/high balls.

I'd hope we sign someone that has express pace and also aerially dominant to balance things out.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The only CB we have that is aerially dominant is Maguire. And if he suffers a injury then we become very vulnerable to corners/high balls.

I'd hope we sign someone that has express pace and also aerially dominant to balance things out.
Mike Smalling

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'm not recommending him as I've not followed him - but how good has Tyrone Mings been this season?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Mike Smalling
Smalling looks to be on the way out and would hamper us playing out from the back. But he has the pace and aerial ability for sure just not the ability on the ball hence being sent out on loan.

dev1l

There s quite a gap in the transfer fees being mentioned.
Apparently Pau Torres is available for 45-50 million euros - his release clause.
Gabriel is reportedly cheaper -25 m euros

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Smalling looks to be on the way out and would hamper us playing out from the back. But he has the pace and aerial ability for sure just not the ability on the ball hence being sent out on loan.
It was just a joke. Yeah don't think he will be part of the team and for his own good he should sign for Roma where fans love him.

RooneyLegend

Upamecano and Salisu would do quite nicely. The former's contract is coming to an end, the latter would be cheap given he's a bit of an unknown. Both good on the ball, physically dominant and very young.

Also both quite different in how they go about their defensive work which would probably make for a good partnership. Salisu is more of a cover defender ala Rio/Van Djik while Upamecano is a good old fashioned stopper who dominated opponents.

jamesjimmybyrondean

We would need to trust our scouts in finding the perfect fit for us. Only world class CB available is Koulibaly and even he had a bad season and also not realistic given his price. I don't think we would spend more than 30m for a CB given Sancho alone is going to cost us quite alot

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We would need to trust our scouts in finding the perfect fit for us. Only world class CB available is Koulibaly and even he had a bad season and also not realistic given his price. I don't think we would spend more than 30m for a CB given Sancho alone is going to cost us quite alot
Then we should wait until next season rather than fill the team up with more future deadwood.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Stone saying we want a CB. I'd like an established CB that would walk into the team like the likes of Gimenez, Diego Carlos, Romagnoli Koulibaly and Skriniar maybe. But these type of CBs are going to cost an arm and a leg. I'm sure we wouldn't be getting an expensive CB signing after 80m on Maguire previously and especially if we get Sancho.

So we would probably go for a cheap CB. Whoever we are looking at though, he has to be good enough to challenge for a starting place not just be some young up and comer or squad player on the bench

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Stone saying we want a CB. I'd like an established CB that would walk into the team like the likes of Gimenez, Diego Carlos, Romagnoli Koulibaly and Skriniar maybe. But these type of CBs are going to cost an arm and a leg. I'm sure we wouldn't be getting an expensive CB signing after 80m on Maguire previously and especially if we get Sancho.

So we would probably go for a cheap CB. Whoever we are looking at though, he has to be good enough to challenge for a starting place not just be some young up and comer or squad player on the bench
Who is Diego Carlos? Honestly never heard of him. Sounds like a Brazilian FM regen haha.