Challenging for the title next season

Roboc7

Not a chance, City have raised the bar to a level we won’t get to next season even if we spend big on 5-6 players. We’re a complete mess that cannot be compared to Liverpool last season.

Liverpool were a team on the up with two glaring holes at CB and GK, a top class manager and their tactics and style of play were all in place. We have a lot more glaring holes and no tactics or playing style and a manager who has everything to prove.

No matter who we buy we aren’t competing for the title next season unless City completely implode. I said last year catching City was a 2-3 year project, better players, better tactics etc etc. It’s still a 2-3 year project and that’s assuming we actually start making good decisions.

BringKlebersonBack

It was the desire to have an almost instant title challenge that led to Jose’s poor signings/attempted signings of players “in their/close to their prime”, and capable of no more than 2/3 seasons of top-level performance, on vastly inflated wages. It was the worst kind of short-termism.

We need a sustained period of team-building. Ole must be supported, and encouraged to embrace the idea of stripping out the deadwood, and significantly rebuilding this squad over 3 seasons, with a cadre of young, talented players. He has to build around potential - we must strip away the millstone around our necks, by getting rid of the players who simply aren’t good enough. Talk of a title challenge simply undermines this crucial work - we have to be patient as a fanbase, and as a club. We cannot afford to keep up this foolishness of attempting to buy short-term fixes. By overpaying for “prime players” in an attempt to challenge soon, we are like the proverbial hamster on his wheel - putting forth more and more effort, only to stand still. It’s wrong approach.

This is one of the reasons I am so concerned about this attempt to buy Koulibaly. He is almost 28, I believe. At the top level, he has what? 4/5 years? For £80m, plus his wages? This is madness.

Enigma_87

You know who
The only comparison between Ole and Pep/Zidane, is that they all went from player to junior/reserves coaches and did well enough that people on the inside thought of them as potential manager/entrenador afterwards. The biggest difference is that Pep and Zidane inherited two of the best squads in the world, both with a GOAT candidate in them, both recent CL victors. Pep and Zizou are as different as they get apart from that.
agreed. Not sure why Ole is compared over and over to them, maybe because they are successful and trying to prove a point, but the differences are night and day.

Solskjær, on the other hand, has done more than they did to prove himself, and is more comparable to Klopp at the time of his Dortmund appointment.

Being one of them Noggies, I probably know more about his managerial work than most here. Klopp took over Mainz as a very popular choice, twelve games from the end of a season where they staved off relegation winning six of the first seven games, and none of the last five (sounds familiar?).

He then had two seasons with a win percentage slightly above 50, before going up the fourth year with just above 38 WP. He then survived two seasons in BL, then were relegated with a 34 WP, then failed to gain promotion. Then he went to Dortmund.

In comparison, Solskjær had two full seasons with the Reserves at United, winning the reserves league, the Manchester cup and the Lancashire cup, before moving to Molde. He ttook them to their first ever league title, defended that the following year, and won the Cup. All with a WP of 55.2.

Then he got relegated after half a season with Cardiff (WP of 30), and sacked upon a difficult start in the Championship. He returned to a much changed Molde, building from mainly youth players, building them from sixth places to second place with a WP for this period of 55.9 (actually higher than in the more successfull period). They also had a row of international results that are unheard og in Norway since the locally legendary Rosenborg in the 90’s. They are now first in the Noggie league with the team he built.

It’s hard to compare 2BL with the Norwegian elite division. The level of the players are probably somewhat higher in Zweite, the professionality of the coaches and support personell perhaps a bit higher in Elitedivisjonen. It’s arguable.
This is more fair view than what we got around here. To me the Noggie league is a bit crap. Sure it might sound harsh but in reality the level is really low compared to Bundesliga, hence really we can't look at both achievements pure by the numbers. Since the beginning in 2BL Klopp implemented a recognizable style and only developed it in the clubs he has been. In contrast from what I've read about OLe (not just United) he has tried several changes and generally tries a lot of things to a different success. I don't see consistency in his methods which is very concerning.

As for actual comparison you have to bear in mind Klopp had the smallest budget in BL with Mainz and smallest stadium when he was first promoted yet managed 2 11th positions in a row, pulling some good results against favorites. Considering he played in BL he was doing it in a much higher level and against tougher oppositions getting him more exposure and pressure to prove himself. On the other hand from what I know Molde had pretty decent budget and on the basis of his first stint he landed the Cardiff job - which by all accounts was failure. On top of that he wasn't able to win the league again in Norway or to let's say punch above their weight to warrant some more exposure if we're comparing him to Klopp.

What has been clear, looking at those two periods, is that both have been builder of teams, both have been lauded for both tactical acumen and man management, both have had set backs, and both have developed their styles. I would say that Klopp 2008 was the more experienced Leader, Solskjær 2019 has more experience from the top level as a player, and has had more time learning from brilliant coaches/managers, having more tactical tools in his belt (Plan A,B and C) than Klopp 2008.

Klopp 2008 had a very good set up and a very promising but also very young team. He took over a 13th placed team and had two seasons with a win percentage of 44 and 47, before things started taking off. Solskjær took over a old/young team with a WP of 42, and his stint so far has a WP of 55. How does that compare to Klopp? Not so bad.

I should hope Solskjær gets to work with a fairly young squad for a couple of season, and that progress be evaluated in the same way Klopp’s was in 2008-2010. If he fails that bar, or regresses, then we have grounds for comparison. If not, we have the best manager imaginable for Man Utd.

What is silly, is comparing Solskjær’s United 2020 with Klopp’s Liverpool 2019. Klopp himself would never have survived that kind of comparison, in any club he’s been at.
To me the comparisons with Klopp are way off mate. He's used only as an example of successful manager starting from the bottom. However there are ton of managers that did the same and vanished in thin air after couple of seasons. A more apt comparison is someone like Di Matteo, Michael Laudrup, etc - not Klopp.

You can't really compare the Noggie league to what has Klopp done to make it a level field.

I don't see much that separates Ole to Laudrup for example - both made their first steps in Danish/Norwegian league who are comparable in quality - had off and on moments elsewhere and eventually Laudrup is stuck in the middle east after nearly relegating Swansea.

Pughnichi

I can’t believe we haven’t signed anyone yet. Keep refreshing in the hope Ed has got his funk together. Turns out no. No he hasn’t.

Just thought to get in early with my hysteria what with only 11 weeks left to implement operation 15 out 15 in

KristianMackle

Next season is not a possibility. We'd need to buy a whole new backline, a RW and a CM and a striker. I don't see that happening.

Acole9

Outstanding
We have absolutely no chance next season. Please guys don't kid yourselves if any of you think so.

Grande

agreed. Not sure why Ole is compared over and over to them, maybe because they are successful and trying to prove a point, but the differences are night and day.

This is more fair view than what we got around here. To me the Noggie league is a bit crap. Sure it might sound harsh but in reality the level is really low compared to Bundesliga, hence really we can't look at both achievements pure by the numbers. Since the beginning in 2BL Klopp implemented a recognizable style and only developed it in the clubs he has been. In contrast from what I've read about OLe (not just United) he has tried several changes and generally tries a lot of things to a different success. I don't see consistency in his methods which is very concerning.

As for actual comparison you have to bear in mind Klopp had the smallest budget in BL with Mainz and smallest stadium when he was first promoted yet managed 2 11th positions in a row, pulling some good results against favorites. Considering he played in BL he was doing it in a much higher level and against tougher oppositions getting him more exposure and pressure to prove himself. On the other hand from what I know Molde had pretty decent budget and on the basis of his first stint he landed the Cardiff job - which by all accounts was failure. On top of that he wasn't able to win the league again in Norway or to let's say punch above their weight to warrant some more exposure if we're comparing him to Klopp.

To me the comparisons with Klopp are way off mate. He's used only as an example of successful manager starting from the bottom. However there are ton of managers that did the same and vanished in thin air after couple of seasons. A more apt comparison is someone like Di Matteo, Michael Laudrup, etc - not Klopp.

You can't really compare the Noggie league to what has Klopp done to make it a level field.

I don't see much that separates Ole to Laudrup for example - both made their first steps in Danish/Norwegian league who are comparable in quality - had off and on moments elsewhere and eventually Laudrup is stuck in the middle east after nearly relegating Swansea.
I think comparison with second division of BL isn’t too far off the Norwegian league, but anyway. What Klopp did in BL first division (to 11th and a relegation) is hardly much more impressive than a David Moyes or Tony Pulis. But that is not the point either. The point is that in 2008, few knew wether Klopp was a ‘Pulis’, a ‘Laudrup’, a ‘Keegan’ or a ‘Ferguson’. Two years later, it was still difficult to be certain. Three years later, it was clear he was at least a ‘Keegan’. It’s funny, because even after the success at Dortmund, even after two and three years at Liverpool, I read lots of opinion pieces to the effect that Klopp was ‘found out’, ‘had no plan B’, was ‘worn out’, or ‘had been made to look better by the shrewd DoFs etc at Dortmund’. A year later, those are silent.

My other point is, then, that we don’t know yet, wether Ole will turn out to be a ‘Laudrup’ or a ‘Klopp’, and in fact, we won’t necessarily know that in two years time either. Hopefully those behind the scenes are able to work out, like someone did with Fergie in 1989, wether it’s all going step by step in the right directions behind the scenes.

I am certain of one thing: anyone expecting consistency overnight, will be disappointed.

And I want to add that the proof in the pudding of Solskjær so far with regards to style, is that he has been fairly consistently developing a game based on merging the possession of Guardiola, Hareide and Meulensteen, with the breakdown/direct attacking of Drillo, Queiroz and Klopp. His last version of Molde is probably the most impressive he has built to date. People deeming him has without clear tactical ideas based on this season with United, are fooling themselves, but the closest we saw to ‘Oleball’ was obviously the first games after he arrived, when he had talked a few general ideas to all the players and they had the drive and the stamina, and the period after Dubai, when they had worked on patterns and before injuries, fatigue set in. Those saying he is clueless, are clueless. Is he cut out for the biggest stage on a permanent basis? Maybe, maybe not.

Will it work at United? We’ll see. In three years time ...

Enigma_87

You know who
I think comparison with second division of BL isn’t too far off the Norwegian league, but anyway. What Klopp did in BL first division (to 11th and a relegation) is hardly much more impressive than a David Moyes or Tony Pulis. But that is not the point either. The point is that in 2008, few knew wether Klopp was a ‘Pulis’, a ‘Laudrup’, a ‘Keegan’ or a ‘Ferguson’. Two years later, it was still difficult to be certain. Three years later, it was clear he was at least a ‘Keegan’. It’s funny, because even after the success at Dortmund, even after two and three years at Liverpool, I read lots of opinion pieces to the effect that Klopp was ‘found out’, ‘had no plan B’, was ‘worn out’, or ‘had been made to look better by the shrewd DoFs etc at Dortmund’. A year later, those are silent.
I was comparing BL to Noggie league, not 2BL.

Here's the thing - Klopp managed to avoid relegation mid season when he started his career. Then he implemented his gegenpressen that nearly achieved promotion (being relegation candidates just months ago) and got them up the year after.

At the time Mainz were favorites to go down, so his 2 seasons keeping them in BL is what won him the move to Dortmund. I'd put those 2 11th positions better than anything Ole had to muster in a hugely inferior league. And to that effect he did it with recognizable style and following his plan.

My other point is, then, that we don’t know yet, wether Ole will turn out to be a ‘Laudrup’ or a ‘Klopp’, and in fact, we won’t necessarily know that in two years time either. Hopefully those behind the scenes are able to work out, like someone did with Fergie in 1989, wether it’s all going step by step in the right directions behind the scenes.

I am certain of one thing: anyone expecting consistency overnight, will be disappointed.
Ole won't have 2 - 3 years. That's mental. It's easier to back Klopp because the guy profiles same type of players and generally creates a structure so after him whoever takes his place can continue in the same mold. Something we are opposing to do (or just Ed in general).

If you think United will back Ole with hundreds of millions and will keep him even during the Christmas period if he's lingering around 7th or 8th, then you will definitely be disappointed.

In grand scheme of things he's a nothing manager with zero credentials when it comes to managing United. And as much as United fans in general refuse to believe it or act accordingly we're still a big club and we can't afford managers under performing after being backed in the Summer.

Those behind the scenes have done feck up after feck up so far and they are different from those in 89'. Also Ferguson was one of the best up and coming managers when he came to United. Again Ole is not fit to lace his boots if we compare them up to their appointment.

And I want to add that the proof in the pudding of Solskjær so far with regards to style, is that he has been fairly consistently developing a game based on merging the possession of Guardiola, Hareide and Meulensteen, with the breakdown/direct attacking of Drillo, Queiroz and Klopp. His last version of Molde is probably the most impressive he has built to date. People deeming him has without clear tactical ideas based on this season with United, are fooling themselves, but the closest we saw to ‘Oleball’ was obviously the first games after he arrived, when he had talked a few general ideas to all the players and they had the drive and the stamina, and the period after Dubai, when they had worked on patterns and before injuries, fatigue set in. Those saying he is clueless, are clueless. Is he cut out for the biggest stage on a permanent basis? Maybe, maybe not.

Will it work at United? We’ll see. In three years time ...
He has made ton of mistakes and has looked clueless, like we also did in the last 2-3 months. Those saying otherwise need to review our games. You don't just abandon your "Oleball" when successful and turn our dire form to the worst one since 50 years if you have a clear pattern. Have you seen Pep's side going away from his plan just because someone is injured or fatigued? And no, you don't need a transfer window for that.

If Ole doesn't get us to top 4 or wins cups next season he's a goner (especially if he's backed in the Summer). Why would he get more time than LvG, Mourinho achieving worse results?

Those behind the scenes aren't such idiots to pound millions into someone who had credentials for caretaker especially when they booted much higher profile managers before for poor results.

Denis79

Nah we are too far off the top teams. We had nothing this season to show us being capable of winning the league any time soon.

I doubt top 4 next season tbh, it's not a knee-jerk reaction any more, I simply believe we'll need 2-3 years to establish ourselves in top 4 before we push for that last step. No amount of propaganda spewing from the club will change my opinion.

In all my years supporting the club, I've never seen us this bad.

Un4givableB

Don't kid yourselves we will be fighting for the 5 place with Arenal, Everton & maybe Wolves.

MUFC OK

Don't think many thought Liverpool would run City all the way like they did.
Some very reputable people thought they would win it before the season even started; seem to remember Harry Redknapp and Chris Sutton amongst others who were quite certain.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
The ‘can’t recover 25 points’ line is largely a way of putting yourself in the challengers position. If Guardiola has a nervous breakdown next season, any team may concievably ‘close the gap’ with 25 points.

What is relevant to us is consistency. The hallowed Klopp built three seasons to develop Liverpool, and ‘closed the gap’ in the fourth. He by then lacked two key players and could also tweak an already established system in a more defensive way, and reduce the amount of unnecessary losses and weak periods that way.

Solskjær has managed to get Mourinho’s team to show a top level above what we have seen so far and for a prolonged period of about twenty games. Consistency, however, is way low this season. Solskjær has had effectively almost no time developping a team/playing style, and there is a whole lot more than two jiggsaw pieces missing. Some would say he needs a whole jiggsaw, and some are just puzzled.

Klopp at Dortmund spent two full seasons at sixth and fifth before they developed consistency to become a BL winners candidate. I presume if us Redcafé supporters where bosses at BD and Pool, he would have been sacked at both places the first or second season.

His experience before that was at Mainz, while Solskjær’s was at Molde. The biggest difference maybe is that Borussia and Pool had a well structured set up with sporting directors and a good scouting division. And still it took three/four years. With The Klopp.

I would expect us to challenge at the level of 90+ points in four seasons time. Anything else will be a bonus or a Leicester kind of fluke. And that is if everything goes well.
Top post! Very common sense, none of the histrionics you hear normally.

Whats going on here?

Mastoness

No way. If we play it right on the market, the next 2 seasons will be a fight for Top 4 finish. We should use those 2 seasons to win some trophies like Europe League and FA cup, create a solid core to our squad and vision of football that we wanna play. Just after that, with the right transfer aproach and acquisitions we can challenge for the title.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I would expect us to challenge at the level of 90+ points in four seasons time. Anything else will be a bonus or a Leicester kind of fluke. And that is if everything goes well.
But it's not a random stroke of luck if things go well. The owners have to will the means, in terms of a functioning club structure designed to deliver titles. Until they do that, we won't win anything big in four seasons or 4 million.

I have no reason to believe the Glazers give a toss about winning things.

Grande

But it's not a random stroke of luck if things go well. The owners have to will the means, in terms of a functioning club structure designed to deliver titles. Until they do that, we won't win anything big in four seasons or 4 million.

I have no reason to believe the Glazers give a toss about winning things.
True. What I meant was, if things are done the right way from now on, I would expect us to need four seasons to reach that kind of consistency. The right people in the right positions is included in that, so if nothing happens in that respect, I expect no manager to be able to take us to that level.

NJM78

Why is this thread still going, does anyone honestly believe we will challenge for the title next season.

TRUERED89

Expecting Top 4 finish nothing more tbh, But that's if we don't bottle the transfer window, or spend €100m on the Welsh Sanchez! Woody will have a Woody over signing this guy.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I reckon for £240m you can go from a SAF hired back four to Wan Bissaka, De Ligt and Koulibaly upgrades.

That'll be a start for a title challenge.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
J.H.C. Is it so hard for Utd to sign great players (not necessarily the current Top Top) these days? I thought Utd was supposed to be super-rich, only one small step below the Oil Clubs. A great player should have been signed already to get things moving. Madrid with Jovic and Hazard, Barça with the De Ligt/Griezmann rumours...Utd = silence.

WTF is going on?

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
True. What I meant was, if things are done the right way from now on, I would expect us to need four seasons to reach that kind of consistency. The right people in the right positions is included in that, so if nothing happens in that respect, I expect no manager to be able to take us to that level.
Fair nuff

Mancnz

I am not saying we are going to challenge or that we should be up at the top next season but bear with me for a moment...

The widely held view is that United will be nowhere near winning the league come the end of next season.

Liverpool just ran City mightily close, finishing just one point short, having been 25 points behind during the campaign prior – a 24 point swing.

Klopp went and forensically resolved Liverpool's problems – goalkeeper and centre half – and they were transformed because all of a sudden their talented team had a platform.

Are we incapable of doing something similar?
2 or 3 years away. First need a new squad then a year to gel id say.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Why is this thread still going, does anyone honestly believe we will challenge for the title next season.
Read the earlier posts in this thread.
Plenty of fans have deluded themselves into believing that we can compete for the title next season. They seem to have completely ignored the issues with our squad, as well as the relegation form we showed in the closing months of last season.

NJM78

Read the earlier posts in this thread.
Plenty of fans have deluded themselves into believing that we can compete for the title next season. They seem to have completely ignored the issues with our squad, as well as the relegation form we showed in the closing months of last season.
Crazy.

Even if we sign who I hope for in Fernandes, Meunier, Rabiot and Sancho I would not have us winning it but certainly getting closer than 32 points off top.

At the moment with James looking imminent I would still say 6th.