Champions League | Matchday 6

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
I've discussed this at length with my Ajax supporting mates and they keep whinging about intent, but the more I watch it the more I think its not a foul. If Antony doesn't make the weird and futile jump forward Hummels doesn't even touch him. He actively jumps into an already started tackle. It's play on at most and a foul from Antony at worst. The 2nd angle makes it clear.

Blabla biased Blabla, I know.
The fact that you blaming the guy who has to avoid a tackle makes the biased comment very very true. Not saying that it was a red, but this was never ever a foul by Antony

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
I've discussed this at length with my Ajax supporting mates and they keep whinging about intent, but the more I watch it the more I think its not a foul. If Antony doesn't make the weird and futile jump forward Hummels doesn't even touch him. He actively jumps into an already started tackle. It's play on at most and a foul from Antony at worst. The 2nd angle makes it clear.

Blabla biased Blabla, I know.
Ajax fan here.. It was never ever a red.. It was a foul I think due to the speed of the tackle, which Hummels totally missed due to Antony's move. However there was no ill intent, his leg wasn't stretched, studs weren't up.. Because of the speed of the tackle and the fact that he missed the ball and challenged Antony it was definitely a foul from his side, but the speed also made is seem way worse than it is. I was with another Ajax friend and we both agreed it was never in a million years a red.

The penalty was very very light, but there was contact.. I dont think it was harsh enough for the VAR to get the ref to the screen, but since there was contact you can hardly make a case a penalty is a way off decision. It did look though as if the attacker - after he felt Mazraoui's touch - didnt make any attempt anymore to stay on his legs and just let himself fall to the ground..

It was sooner a penalty than a red card though. But I think both were too light.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The fact that you blaming the guy who has to avoid a tackle makes the biased comment very very true. Not saying that it was a red, but this was never ever a foul by Antony
He doesn't avoid it though, he actively jumps into the challenge.

The pen was a joke too mind.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

The penalty that put Juventus 2-1 ahead vs zenit was also a terrible decision, Chiesa doesn't even bother to dive while his weight is on the appropriate leg to embellish any contact. Juve were comfortably the better team, but it came at an important part of the game where they might have got more frustrated at not being in front yet without it.

Lecland07

He doesn't avoid it though, he actively jumps into the challenge.

The pen was a joke too mind.
I don't think he does. Hummels is out of control, flying in and, at one point, he isn't even touching the ground. It is just luck that the Ajax player didn't land his foot, otherwise it could have been a leg breaker.

I can see why a red was given myself. They do take being out of control and recklessness into account. And that fulfils those parameters.

You can see the Ajax player actually pulls his leg back to avoid the landing and the challenge.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
There was definitely an element of recklessness from Hummels, if he had hit Anthony's ankle it would have been a red, no questions asked. But he didn't, it wasn't a two footed challenge and he came in from the side, so I don't see how it can be anything other than a yellow card, especially since referees are usually extremely reluctant to send players off this early.

Matchday 5

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
This 5:45 business is weird. It's not as if we're playing miles out east.
Tbf, I have always found it a bit weird how games KO on the continent at 20:45. Would make sense if a Summer Sport/it was just exclusive to the Med, but Germany/France/Nordic nations etc, seems late, especially for kids.

Redfrog

Tbf, I have always found it a bit weird how games KO on the continent at 20:45. Would make sense if a Summer Sport/it was just exclusive to the Med, but Germany/France/Nordic nations etc, seems late, especially for kids.
They can have the latest games in Spain, at 10pm.
It’s a cultural thing. I am French so 9pm or 8:45 is the norm, but I I find it weird that’s the same in Germany as they tend to go at work very early…

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
mmmh… it will be a looooong night for us at Stamford Bridge……..

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
mmmh… it will be a looooong night for us at Stamford Bridge……..
I expect Juve to park the bus again and try to hit us on the counter. Would you say that's accurate? We were very toothless in Turin, and Tuchel has tweaked the system a little since so I guess we'll get to test it against a top team tonight.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
I expect Juve to park the bus again and try to hit us on the counter. Would you say that's accurate? We were very toothless in Turin, and Tuchel has tweaked the system a little since so I guess we'll get to test it against a top team tonight.
I do not know, really: this game is worth pretty nothing to us (because we are already through) and we have Atalanta at home on Saturday, for keeping the 4th place in touch. Therefore… will we / won’t we tonight? If we are two down after 20 minutes, I would really expect both teams walk for the rest of the game. What we really want to avoid is a high tempo, confrontational game.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
They can have the latest games in Spain, at 10pm.
It’s a cultural thing. I am French so 9pm or 8:45 is the norm, but I I find it weird that’s the same in Germany as they tend to go at work very early…
Yeah, I get in the Med countries (and now France) that it is a cultural thing but as you say, in Germany it has to be a bit of a killer, same as the Nordic nations. That said, I guess if it went to 19:45 cet then the Med countries/France would find it too early, so there is no real perfect time (from a pan western-Europen point of view.)

That said, out of interest, as I have only been to France about 3 times and interested in this sort of thing but is there much of a difference in France between the North/South in terms of daily routines?

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Yeah, I get in the Med countries (and now France) that it is a cultural thing but as you say, in Germany it has to be a bit of a killer, same as the Nordic nations. That said, I guess if it went to 19:45 cet then the Med countries/France would find it too early, so there is no real perfect time (from a pan western-Europen point of view.)

That said, out of interest, as I have only been to France about 3 times and interested in this sort of thing but is there much of a difference in France between the North/South in terms of daily routines?
The normal kickoff time for evening games used to be 20:15 in Germany. And what is this myth about Germans getting up early for work? I start at 9:00 to 9:30. :wenger:

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
The normal kickoff time for evening games used to be 20:15 in Germany. And what is this myth about Germans getting up early for work? I start at 9:00 to 9:30. :wenger:
That is similar to the UK, however if you go to the game and it doesn't finish until 23:00'ish, then it takes a 1hr-1hr:30m to get home that is at least Midnight before you're even home, then next day you're probably up between 7ish so it is a pretty short nights sleep by the time you actually settle down/have to get up.

Obviously, this is probably a very UK centric way of looking at it :annoyed:

Redfrog

I am from the great Paris and it’s very different from everything else in France. It’s much more busy and stressful but in terms of cultural life you can’t find better then Paris in France.
They are much more relaxed in the south of France and on the cost in general but it’s much more difficult to find friends when you’re not from there. In Paris weirdly people are not nice at all but it is much easier to find friends and it’s much more multi-cultural, more open if you like.

In France there was always a cultural and economical domination from Paris to the rest of the country and the rest are kind of bitter toward Paris, rightly so.
And even in the langage there is a word for the country that is not from Paris: la Province. Which is kind of weird when you think about it.

Where are you come from ?

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I am from the great Paris and it’s very different from everything else in France. It’s much more busy and stressful but in terms of cultural life you can’t find better then Paris in France.
They are much more relaxed in the south of France and on the cost in general but it’s much more difficult to find friends when you’re not from there. In Paris weirdly people are not nice at all but it is much easier to find friends and it’s much more multi-cultural, more open if you like.

In France there was always a cultural and economical domination from Paris to the rest of the country and the rest are kind of bitter toward Paris, rightly so.
And even in the langage there is a word for the country that is not from Paris: la Province. Which is kind of weird when you think about it.

Thanks for the reply, interesting to hear.

I am from London and this is similar to how the rest of the UK sees Londoners and how London has a more multicultural mix than rural areas/small cities of the UK (although some cities in the UK are also very multicultural.)

Only difference I would say is that I find in the UK it is easier to make friends outside of London if you can make the time. In London I find most friendships are 'fair weather' friendships and they principally develop from who you work with, in the rural areas/small cities friendships I find to be deeper but that obviously requires commitment.

Blackwidow

Dynamo Kyiv XI: Bushchan; Kędziora, Zabarnyi, Syrota, Mykolenko; Shaparenko, Sydorchuk; De Pena, Buyalskyi, Tsygankov; Shkurin. Bayern XI: Neuer; Pavard, Nianzou, Hernández, Davies; Tolisso, Goretzka; Coman, Müller, Sané; Lewandowski.

Bayern bench - GK Ulreich and Früchtl, Richards, Sarr, Roca, Tillmann

Chance to see midfielder Neuer :cool:

Redfrog

I have been in Germany few weeks ago and I saw the barbershop open at 8 am. It opens at 10 am in France. And people are at home very early from what I saw.
I am not saying everyone getting up early but schools open very early as well if I remember from my school trip there.

VanDeBank

Ma’am

The dynamic you're describing is similar to other countries and their capital. There's a word like that in a lot of languages, it's not strange at all.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Dynamo Kyiv XI: Bushchan; Kędziora, Zabarnyi, Syrota, Mykolenko; Shaparenko, Sydorchuk; De Pena, Buyalskyi, Tsygankov; Shkurin. Bayern XI: Neuer; Pavard, Nianzou, Hernández, Davies; Tolisso, Goretzka; Coman, Müller, Sané; Lewandowski.

Bayern bench - GK Ulreich and Früchtl, Richards, Sarr, Roca, Tillmann

Chance to see midfielder Neuer :cool:
Sabitzer not even on the bench? What happened to him?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
The dynamic you're describing is similar to other countries and their capital. There's a word like that in a lot of languages, it's not strange at all.
I think the only big country in Europe where it is different is Germany. Berlin is far from being the economical center if Germany, more an expensive money waste where most Germans are not even sure why we made it our capital.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
United being on the early kick off in Spain might be the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Lewandowski scored the perfect, textbook overhead kick a couple of minutes ago. He can do it on a snowy tuesday night in Kiev, that's for sure.