Champions League | Matchday 6

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Marsch is a trainwreck
I never thought he could have such a bad start, he's been with the company for basically all his career, he's been groomed to take over from Nagelsmann for years, the entire corporate philosophy and squad should be well in line with his own philosophy and he's even trained some of the current players before.
I would have expected some generic, uninspired, but somewhat stable pressing football as the bare minimum. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they are already readying Jaissle to take over in the winter break, hoping Marsch can make it until then.

Josh 76

Unless I am mistaken, if Dortmund lose by two clear goals away to Sporting in MD5, Dortmund will not make the CL KO stages.

Don't think Poch would be good for UTD considering the talent he has at PSG & seems to be struggling in virtually every match they've played this season in all competitions, sure they've been winning games (just about) but even so...
It’s hard to manage a team where you are forced to play players. Poch should not be judged at all for his time at PSG.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Unless I am mistaken, if Dortmund lose by two clear goals away to Sporting in MD5, Dortmund will not make the CL KO stages.

Don't think Poch would be good for UTD considering the talent he has at PSG & seems to be struggling in virtually every match they've played this season in all competitions, sure they've been winning games (just about) but even so...
Yep. Then Sporting will be ahead of them by 3 points and better h2h.

Dortmund losing can be likely given their injury crises in attack and Hummels might be out of the next match. Their players will atleast get next midweek off so they can get a bit of respite.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
It says a lot about a team when someone is listing its biggest cnuts and comes up with 3 other players before thinking of di Maria.
At least he scored for us (in between sulks).

Mbappe is a spoiled kid, Neymar is worse (still remember him in his pimp leather jacket crying on the touch lines when we won) and Herrera has always been a twat. He just used to be our twat and we let it go.

I like Donnarumma though.

Caesar2290

It’s hard to manage a team where you are forced to play players. Poch should not be judged at all for his time at PSG.
You're right, but considering his record at Spurs he still looks like a bottler. Unlike his predecessor who most felt that he did the most he could with that squad, Poch was really underwhelming. I would definitely pass on him though.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I never thought he could have such a bad start, he's been with the company for basically all his career, he's been groomed to take over from Nagelsmann for years, the entire corporate philosophy and squad should be well in line with his own philosophy and he's even trained some of the current players before.
I would have expected some generic, uninspired, but somewhat stable pressing football as the bare minimum. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they are already readying Jaissle to take over in the winter break, hoping Marsch can make it until then.
Nagelsmann stepped away from the typical RB philosophy. He also was not part of that whole RB circus before Leipzig, and it showed. Signing Marsch as the successor to Nagelsmann was a clear step back in philosophy, while the squad had evolved to fit better with Nagelsmann (more about possession play, less focused on transitions). This is not a typical RB squad anymore, and it shows that Marsch has no idea how he should deal with that.

Blackwidow

Yep. Then Sporting will be ahead of them by 3 points and better h2h.

Dortmund losing can be likely given their injury crises in attack and Hummels might be out of the next match. Their players will atleast get next midweek off so they can get a bit of respite.
???

Next two weeks is an international break!

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Nagelsmann stepped away from the typical RB philosophy. He also was not part of that whole RB circus before Leipzig, and it showed. Signing Marsch as the successor to Nagelsmann was a clear step back in philosophy, while the squad had evolved to fit better with Nagelsmann (more about possession play, less focused on transitions). This is not a typical RB squad anymore, and it shows that Marsch has no idea how he should deal with that.
I'd say their recruitment was still on brand. And I wouldn't say that Nagelsmann stepped away from their corporate philosophy, it's more like he enhanced it. So obviously Marsch can't just copy paste the approach of his predecessor, but he shouldn't really have to do any ground work either.

Real Name

Very strange take. He shouldnt be judged at all? Cause he has a team of stars. So whatever happens there should be brushed aside?
Very, very strange take.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Even if he wins the champions league he shouldn’t be judged? So essentially this is a waste of time and nothing can be extrapolated?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Ancelotti did and won. Zidane did and won. Luis Enrique did and won...

Poch should absolutely be judged for his time at PSG

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
So happy and proud of this young team.

They seem to be growing game by game and feeling comfortable in the big stage.

Pedro Gonçalves getting back his scoring touch is huge for us and Palhinha is one of the best Defensive Midfielders in the world. I’m telling you guys.

Sarabia seems to be adjusting much better now and Nunes is not scared of the big games.

We have a big change to go through at home vs Dortmund

What Amorim has done at the club is nothing short of remarkable.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I say trainwreck, but I don't even mean this to hate on the guy, it's more the overall way this appontment is going. He's clearly able to get his teams to attack with power, combinative creativity, and intensity, but he just can't get the balance right. They seem overpowering, galloping ahead of themselves. He's to Nagelsmann what Bosz is to Ten Haag. Nagelsmann's Hoffenheim were similar in the CL though. And the performances against PSG surely weren't bad - but that's just it, isn't it. Always losing while getting good will points for 'spirited' performances :lol:

Then again, I've said it before, Marsch or no Marsch, RB Leipzig are done, we've finished them, you can thank us later. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see them back in the CL anytime soon.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
For me, his time at Spurs will give a closer and better idea of his managerial performances than at PSG.
Depends. Since this place seems to rate managers in a "how well would they do at united" way, i'd say his PSG stint would be the better metric...

Josh 76

Ancelotti did and won. Zidane did and won. Luis Enrique did and won...

Poch should absolutely be judged for his time at PSG
He will win the league this season. Will that make any difference ? It’s the equivalent of Rodgers wining the Title with Celtic.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I say trainwreck, but I don't even mean this to hate on the guy, it's more the overall way this appontment is going. He's clearly able to get his teams to attack with power, combinative creativity, and intensity, but he just can't get the balance right. They seem overpowering, galloping ahead of themselves. He's to Nagelsmann what Bosz is to Ten Haag. Nagelsmann's Hoffenheim were similar in the CL though. And the performances against PSG surely weren't bad - but that's just it, isn't it. Always losing while getting good will points for 'spirited' performances :lol:

Then again, I've said it before, Marsch or no Marsch, RB Leipzig are done, we've finished them, you can thank us later. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see them back in the CL anytime soon.
I don't know.. in a way he's had the perfect setup for (relative) success and instead he's setting negative records in both the CL and BL, going by the results a sacking would be reasonable. Sure, he still seems to motivate his team well and they are maybe a bit unlucky at times, but I don't really see a lot of factors that would mitigate the blame for him.

And bigger picture: while Nagelsmann's departure probably has pulled the plug on any kind of hopes of snatching a league title for the foreseeable future, I don't see how they are finished. At worst they are still Leverkusen on steroids. They can just keep spending top 3 money until they are back there and constantly replenish their squad and coaching bench with "bargains" from Salzburg.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Pedro Gonçalves getting back his scoring touch is huge for us and Palhinha is one of the best Defensive Midfielders in the world. I’m telling you guys.

Sarabia seems to be adjusting much better now and Nunes is not scared of the big games.

3 questions
Is it too early for Amorim to take over a big club like United ?
How much would Palhinha cost ?
Is he better than Rice (if you have seen Rice play)

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam

How do you rate your chances of becoming 2nd in the group?

SportingCP96

Supports
3 questions
Is it too early for Amorim to take over a big club like United ?
How much would Palhinha cost ?
Is he better than Rice (if you have seen Rice play)
Amorim is still only 36 and should stay longer at Sporting and continue this project similar to what Eric Ten Hag did with Ajax.

He has a chance to do things in Sporting that have not been done in a long time.

However if he manages to win back to back titles interest will be very high. For me though where he builds his resume with the outside world is in Europe.

If he gets us to the KO rounds it’s an eye brow raiser for sure.

As for Palhinha anything less then 45M I would be tee peeing Federico Varandes house every day until I die.

I have seen Rice play and I think Rice is better going forward as Palhinha does not go up as much.

Defensively though I honestly would go with Palhinha. He cleans up everything and physically is a beast. Sharp on tackles quick at reading plays and clearing out danger.

Granted I am sure I could come off as Biased as these Guys do represent my club but just like Bruno in my eyes was a sure fire success the moment he left Sporting I feel the exact same way about Palhinha.

In Comparison to Pote or Matheus Nunes for example I can recognize that although they have the talent and ability for the next level sometimes they lack enough consistency.

Bruno was constantly our best performer ever week and Palhinha is the Same way. The man does not know how to play bad.

Last edited:

SportingCP96

Supports
How do you rate your chances of becoming 2nd in the group?
Dortmund don’t seem to be in good from and if Haaland is out and with us being at home I actually think it is 50\50.

Would be brilliant to have 2/3 of the most renowned academies get through the group.

Ruben Amorim was rather naive in his first CL game vs Ajax but he has quickly adjusted it seems and Sporting is corresponding.

I believe we will put on a better showing in Amsterdam if we can beat Dortmund first.

GlasgowCeltic

Grealish has been the Telles to Bernardos Luke Shaw this season, and that's the most I can say about the signing so far

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He will win the league this season. Will that make any difference ? It’s the equivalent of Rodgers wining the Title with Celtic.
He has Messi, Neymar, Mbappé, Verratti, Marquinhos, Hakimi, Di Maria, Icardi, Navas, Donnarumma...

Those guys won the CL. If Poch doesn't, then that's a failure

Blackwidow

I don't know.. in a way he's had the perfect setup for (relative) success and instead he's setting negative records in both the CL and BL, going by the results a sacking would be reasonable. Sure, he still seems to motivate his team well and they are maybe a bit unlucky at times, but I don't really see a lot of factors that would mitigate the blame for him.

And bigger picture: while Nagelsmann's departure probably has pulled the plug on any kind of hopes of snatching a league title for the foreseeable future, I don't see how they are finished. At worst they are still Leverkusen on steroids. They can just keep spending top 3 money until they are back there and constantly replenish their squad and coaching bench with "bargains" from Salzburg.
For me an additional problem for Leipzig is that they still do not have a "killer". Andre Silva is not. He is a player that goes with the flow. Yes, he had many goals last season - but, if you really look into it it seldom were the important winning goals. He usually scores when the opponent already opened up the game.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Dortmund don’t seem to be in good from and if Haaland is out and with us being at home I actually think it is 50\50.

Would be brilliant to have 2/3 of the most renowned academies get through the group.

Ruben Amorim was rather naive in his first CL game vs Ajax but he has quickly adjusted it seems and Sporting is corresponding.

I believe we will put on a better showing in Amsterdam if we can beat Dortmund first.
The Sporting Dortmund match will be a really interesting one to watch..

About the game in Amsterdam I'm really wondering if Ten Hag will give some other players chances.. The likes of Schuurs, Rensch, Tagliafico, Kudus, Taylor, Klaassen, Daramy and Neres are all good enough (at least) to start for Ajax but havent been given much gametime lately.. The remaining two CL games look like the perfect opportunity to also give them some gametime in matches with serious opponents.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Leonardo and Nasser are much more hands on in the football side of things than the structure at Spurs. I also believe he isn't big of profile to command respect of his players, whether it's the french ones (he doesn't speak french at all) or all the other stars.
If he is not a big enough profile to command the respect of players, what good will he be at Man United or any large PL club? If he leads players to CL trophies and league trophies, he will have the respect. Until he does, he is just another manager with potential. At some point if he does not start winning trophies consistently it will become wasted potential.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
If he is not a big enough profile to command the respect of players, what good will he be at Man United or any large PL club? If he leads players to CL trophies and league trophies, he will have the respect. Until he does, he is just another manager with potential. At some point if he does not start winning trophies consistently it will become wasted potential.
I have no idea, I don't like Poch as a manager so I would never want him at Utd anyway

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Hummels red card

I've discussed this at length with my Ajax supporting mates and they keep whinging about intent, but the more I watch it the more I think its not a foul. If Antony doesn't make the weird and futile jump forward Hummels doesn't even touch him. He actively jumps into an already started tackle. It's play on at most and a foul from Antony at worst. The 2nd angle makes it clear.

Blabla biased Blabla, I know.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Very nice words from Ronnie to Gasperini and from Ole to the city of Bergamo. Those vs United were two great games for Atalanta and their people. Oppo fans calling them bottlers because of their inability to keep results in stoppage time do really not know much about football, and how the vastly superior quality very often shows up in the end, when the legs are gone and emotions are high. Nevertheless, they can still go through winning both games remaining, so no complaint and just moving on.