Champions League | Matchday 6

BorisManUtd

Group G is odd, every team could still go through and it's only 1 game left. I guess there's no club that stands out in quality there. Wouldn't like Sevilla to finish 2nd though, facing them again would be too much after last few years :lol:

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
50th game for Tuchel tonight, 31 clean sheets.
Thomas Tuchel has officially broken the all time record for the fewest goals conceded in a managers first 50 games in charge of an English club… He’s conceded just 24 goals in that time, with 31 clean sheets.

ti vu

Don't tempt us to hire Big Sam as interim just before the weekend game

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Demir (18)
Gavi (18)
Pedri (18)
Abde (19) He was excellent vs. Espanyol.
Nico (19)

:lol:

Barca's squad went from potential catastrophy to potential 2nd coming of '08-'11 Barca in the space of six months.
Gavi is 17 years and still 3 months old. Amazing how good he is

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I am going to say it, Reece James is one of those very rare players' like Rooney who can pretty much do everything to a high level. You could probably play him as: WB, FB, CB, DM, CM, AM and you'll get high levels out of him regardless. Only position I am not sure about is GK, as even at CF I reckon he would be alright.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
We have conceded 24 goals in 50 games. 31 clean sheets.

WBA scored 5. An anomaly.

Other than that, it’s 19 goals in 18 games in which we have concede.

Only 2 teams have scored more than once against us in 50 games. Incredible.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
So who can we/are likely to face in the 2nd round?

A) PSG
B) Porto/Atletico
C) Dortmund/Sporting
D) Inter
E) Barca/Benfica
G) Lille/Sevilla/Salzburg (group is a toss-up)
H) Juventus

Is that right?

Sviken

A) PSG
B) Porto/Atletico
C) Dortmund/Sporting
D) Inter
E) Barca/Benfica
H) Juventus

Is that right?
Hopefully Barca or Juventus. Those are the only teams i'm semi-confident we can beat.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I don't think Barca are getting through.
I actually want Barca through, don't want them getting CL through winning the Ropey League. Also would enjoy seeing them get another 8-2 battering along the way too.

ti vu

I don't think Barca are getting through.
While on paper it feels tough for Barcelona, but my gut feeling says Bayern would drop off the intensity which may allow Barcelona to win. Bayern plays Dortmund away from home in the weekend before their CL game. They unlikely to overexert themselves in a meaningless game for them after a big game.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper

A) PSG
B) Porto/Atletico
C) Dortmund/Sporting
D) Inter
E) Barca/Benfica
H) Juventus

Is that right?
PSG may be able to finish above City. May actually tune in for that one tomorrow. I also hope Porto can hold off AM as they're always a nightmare to deal with in KO football.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
While on paper it feels tough for Barcelona, but my gut feeling says Bayern would drop off the intensity which may allow Barcelona to win. Bayern plays Dortmund away from home in the weekend before their CL game. They unlikely to overexert themselves in a meaningless game for them after a big game.
Ah yeah that might influence it, but Bayern look worlds apart from Barcelona right now. They could've easily lost tonight.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Huuuuugggeeeee game tonight vs Dortmund.

50,000 people in the stands tonight the atmosphere should be electric.

Sporting have been in fantastic form and have grown a lot as a team since the Ajax game. Lots of learning curves for this young team but they picked it up quick.

Sporting are going to have to be the aggressor and Dortmund know that which could play into their favor.

If we score first it will be huge because the stadium will be rocking. I have not been this nervous and excited for a game in a long time. Would be amazing to go through the group stage in Amorim's first CL.

\

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Just read about how crazy the situation for Wolfsburg (currently last in group G) is: if they win against Lille, they are through, depending on the result in the parallel game they could even top the group. If they lose or draw, they will stay last in the group. So they can still reach positions 1,2 or 4, but not 3, so they will definitely not play in the EL.

SportingCP96

Supports
Jesus can it be game time already I can't sit still.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

A) PSG
B) Porto/Atletico
C) Dortmund/Sporting
D) Inter
E) Barca/Benfica
H) Juventus

Is that right?
Think the likes of Milan and Sherrif still have a chance of qualifying if they win their final 2 games

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Hopefully Barca or Juventus. Those are the only teams i'm semi-confident we can beat.
We will be a bit better overall and much more focused in February maybe? If anything, yesterday’s drubbing will persuade our board to act aggressively in the January market. Let’s see if we can defeat Atalanta on Saturday and reduce the gap to one point. Not going deep in the CL may be ok, not qualifying for the next one would be bad.

Blackwidow

A match against Barca is not meaningless for the players...

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Man City vs PSG is going to show where PSG really is right now with Poch.

RedDevilMachine

Any chance PSG can get a result at City? Thought they were lucky to come away with a 2-0 win back in September if City didn't miss their chances, and PSG seems inconsistent this season. City will most likely win 2-0 but hoping for a Messi's masterclass as anything to stop City and take down a peg will be nice.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Huuuuugggeeeee game tonight vs Dortmund.

50,000 people in the stands tonight the atmosphere should be electric.

Sporting have been in fantastic form and have grown a lot as a team since the Ajax game. Lots of learning curves for this young team but they picked it up quick.

Sporting are going to have to be the aggressor and Dortmund know that which could play into their favor.

If we score first it will be huge because the stadium will be rocking. I have not been this nervous and excited for a game in a long time. Would be amazing to go through the group stage in Amorim's first CL.
Don't worry, Dortmund are still in fairly bad shape and Sporting have to be considered favourites for this tie.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Ajax is playing half a B-team but still very exciting team.

I like the Besiktas team, match could go either way I think.

ti vu

Bayern is having troubles right now. They need that win (at home!) to make a statement, not because of the group constellation.
I am not dismissing that, but I am leaning toward them use this time to rest and shift more focus to their domestic campaign. They had to play Dortmund weekend before Barcelona game. Even if they had the business done. They would still want to ensure they don't slip up in the league and let Dortmund back into it.

SportingCP96

Supports
Don't worry, Dortmund are still in fairly bad shape and Sporting have to be considered favourites for this tie.
Oh stop it. Sporting have made it to the KO rounds all of 1x since 94.

Dortmund are by far the favorites. Sporting should not even be in this position with a young team and inexperienced coach.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96

Dortmund are by far the favorites. Sporting should not even be in this position with a young team and inexperienced coach.
Well, you have a team. Dortmund has a hospital this season so far.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Commentators on the Inter game can't stop saying Canhaloglus name. Keep just coming up with stories about him, or what he's done past matches.

22mins in has must have said his name about 100times. Surely they've got some kind of bet going on about how many times they can mention him by name.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Commentators on the Inter game can't stop saying Canhaloglus name. Keep just coming up with stories about him, or what he's done past matches.

22mins in has must have said his name about 100times. Surely they've got some kind of bet going on about how many times they can mention him by name.
Well, he did score maybe the best free kick ever (or at least up there with the Roberto Carlos one)... but yeah, I've never seen him do anything of note in any of the games I've actually seen him play. :lol:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Yet you got his name wrong.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Yet you got his name wrong.
Of course I did, I'm shit with spelling of foreign names. I did check, but then couldn't copy and paste from flash scores and was like "feckit, they'll know who I mean, plus some absolute cockend on the caf will be able to pretend they're a clever cnut by pointing out I spelt his name wrong"

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

If we were to ignore form and injuries I'd agree with you. But nominal squad strength means little if you can't translate it onto the pitch.

Of course I did, I'm shit with spelling of foreign names. I did check, but then couldn't copy and paste from flash scores and was like "feckit, they'll know who I mean, plus some absolute cockend on the caf will be able to pretend they're a clever cnut by pointing out I spelt his name wrong"
All I'm saying is if 100 times wasn't enough it's reasonable to go for 150.

BlueHaze

Ajax lucky they are not 3-0 down. Besiktas forward missed a proper sitter and another good chance. Ajax have had plenty chances of their own but they are not crucial in the final third.