Champions League qualification rules (PL)

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I've been seeing a lot of confusion and misinformation in other threads, so I feel this needs to be cleared up once and for all.

The following will always qualify for the CL:
  • Top three eligible teams (currently these are: first-place Liverpool, third-place Leicester, and fourth-place Chelsea)
  • Eligible Champions League winner (currently in play: Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham)
  • Eligible Europa League winner (currently in play: Manchester United, Arsenal, Wolves)
The following will qualify for the CL unless the CL winner and Europa league winner are both PL sides who would not otherwise have qualified for the CL through their finishing league position:
  • Fourth eligible team in the league (currently this is: fifth-place Tottenham)
That's it. At least four teams will qualify for the CL. If a side outside the top four eligible spots wins the CL and/or EL, a fifth team will qualify, but there can be no more than five teams qualifying. There is also no situation where the CL spots get pushed down the league table (in other words, if Liverpool were to - God forbid - win the CL, an additional CL spot would not materialize through the league).

Big Ben Foster

Supports
So. 5th we get cl? Yes or no?

If liverpool win the cl. We're 5th. Cl or no?

If totenham win the cl. We're 5th. Cl or no?

If chelsea wins the cl. We're 5th. Cl or no?
I answered that above. The fourth eligible team in the league (currently the 5th placed team due to City's ineligibility) will qualify unless the CL and EL winners are both PL teams that finish outside the qualifying positions.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I answered that above. The fourth eligible team in the league (currently the 5th placed team due to City's ineligibility) will qualify unless the CL and EL winners are both PL teams that finish outside the qualifying positions.
I forgot we're still in europa.

So if tottemham wins the cl, and finished 6th they will have it instead.

If we win europa and totenham finished 5th? We will have it instead?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
So. 5th we get cl? Yes or no?

If liverpool win the cl. We're 5th. Cl or no?

If totenham win the cl. We're 5th. Cl or no?

If chelsea wins the cl. We're 5th. Cl or no?
Yes* if City finish above us. No if they don't.

* Assuming a) the CL ban stands and b) Spurs/Chelsea and Wolves/Arsenal win the European competitions and both winners finish below us.

Big Ben Foster

Supports
I forgot we're still in europa.

So if tottemham wins the cl, and finished 6th they will have it instead.

If we win europa and totenham finished 5th? We will have it instead?
Please read the OP carefully.

If Spurs win the CL and finish 6th, the PL will have 5 slots. If we finish outside the qualifying positions and win the EL, the PL will also have 5 slots.

cyril C

I've been seeing a lot of confusion and misinformation in other threads, so I feel this needs to be cleared up once and for all.

The following will always qualify for the CL:
  • Top three eligible teams (currently these are: first-place Liverpool, third-place Leicester, and fourth-place Chelsea)
  • Eligible Champions League winner (currently in play: Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham)
  • Eligible Europa League winner (currently in play: Manchester United, Arsenal, Wolves)
The following will qualify for the CL unless the CL winner and Europa league winner are both PL sides who would not otherwise have qualified for the CL through their finishing league position:
  • Fourth eligible team in the league (currently this is: fifth-place Tottenham)
That's it. At least four teams will qualify for the CL. If a side outside the top four eligible spots wins the CL and/or EL, a fifth team will qualify, but there can be no more than five teams qualifying. There is also no situation where the CL spots get pushed down the league table (in other words, if Liverpool were to - God forbid - win the CL, an additional CL spot would not materialize through the league).
I think you are confused. The 5th place argument rekindle because of the City Ban situation. Assume City remains 2nd, and Ban stands, then the 5th place Club will take over the 4th place slot and so on.

CL and EL winners get priority, if for argument sake the table ends with, and City Ban stays for 2020/21 season.

Liverpool, City, Leicester, Chelsea, Wolves, Spurs, Sheffield , MU, Arsenal.

1. No EPL club win anything, then Wolves is lucky.
2. Spurs win CL only. Then both Wolves and Spurs are in, total 5 clubs, and Wolves need pre-season qualifier.
3. Spurs win CL, MU win EL. Then sorry Wolves play Europa next season.

Big Ben Foster

Supports
I think you are confused. The 5th place argument rekindle because of the City Ban situation. Assume City remains 2nd, and Ban stands, then the 5th place Club will take over the 4th place slot and so on.

CL and EL winners get priority, if for argument sake the table ends with, and City Ban stays for 2020/21 season.

Liverpool, City, Leicester, Chelsea, Wolves, Spurs, Sheffield , MU, Arsenal.

1. No EPL club win anything, then Wolves is lucky.
2. Spurs win CL only. Then both Wolves and Spurs are in, total 5 clubs, and Wolves need pre-season qualifier.
3. Spurs win CL, MU win EL. Then sorry Wolves play Europa next season.
I'm not confused. Your post is exactly what I said in the OP.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Thanks this has really made things a lot clearer and by clearer I mean I no longer understand it.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
It makes perfect sense. However, Manchester United will not be in the CL next season, so I did not really need this thread to tell me this ;)

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Sounds like something Sheffield United should be interested in not Manchester.