Champions League Quarter Finals (5th - 13th Apr)

RoyH1

Why? They have never won it under Pep even though they've been a top 3 team in Europe for how long now, 6-7 years? He's bound to feck off some time soon I guess, and I can imagine they will, at least at first, struggle to replicate their consistency that they're showing under Guardiola. De Bruyne isn't getting any younger either.

United fans can stick their heads in the sand as much as they want and talk about "oil money, hollow wins", but that's not how the rest of the world views it. City are gaining a global fanbase with every piece of silverware they collect, and a Champions League trophy would massively boost that even further. I hope they win as less as possible while Guardiola is there and just be a "contending" team once he's gone, not the machine that they currently are.
That's a bit dramatic, isn't it? They cannot even fill their own stadium at times. And when I go to my kids football tournaments I still see United, Liverpool, Chelsea, RM, Barsa and Bayern represented in numbers far above of what City ever is. Even PSG is much more visible. That cooperation with the Jordan line of Nike was a stroke of marketing genius.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Does anyone here think that most of the Liverpool players could have some kind of substance in their blood stream?
A look at some of their faces and eyes is quite a give away.

Teams like Juventus in the past were caught and sentenced for this so i'm not saying anything that is far fetched.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
That's a bit dramatic, isn't it? They cannot even fill their own stadium at times. And when I go to my kids football tournaments I still see United, Liverpool, Chelsea, RM, Barsa and Bayern represented in numbers far above of what City ever is. Even PSG is much more visible. That cooperation with the Jordan line of Nike was a stroke of marketing genius.
Maybe it's different in England. When I used to be young, there were no City shirts at football training, literally zero. Now loads and loads of children have De Bruyne jerseys - far more so than let's say Hazard when he was at Chelsea. Of course it is the Belgian association, but I doubt it's exclusive to my country. Even if their fanbase is still far behind the teams you mentioned, they are gaining fans globally, and a CL win would only help that imo.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I am surprised how some United fans here are okay with City winning this thing.

Dont you find ZERO European Cups continuing besides their name hilarious?
Because if City win it there will be about 1 to 2 days coverage and that will be it. Dippers win it and their will be wall to wall coverage for around a month with some pundits talking like schoolgirls that there should maybe be a National Holiday in honor of the Dippers.

At the 'celebrations' around town the Dippers will run amok, fighting amongst each each other, setting fires and generally doing scummy things and this will barely be mentioned in the press and when it is, it'll be caveated with the suggestion it wasn't the pious little Dippers fault (as they're the salt of the earth and just displaying 'pashun') but someone elses.

So, al in all, yeah, City any day.

Last edited:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Why? They have never won it under Pep even though they've been a top 3 team in Europe for how long now, 6-7 years? He's bound to feck off some time soon I guess, and I can imagine they will, at least at first, struggle to replicate their consistency that they're showing under Guardiola. De Bruyne isn't getting any younger either.

United fans can stick their heads in the sand as much as they want and talk about "oil money, hollow wins", but that's not how the rest of the world views it. City are gaining a global fanbase with every piece of silverware they collect, and a Champions League trophy would massively boost that even further. I hope they win as less as possible while Guardiola is there and just be a "contending" team once he's gone, not the machine that they currently are.
Well it reminds me of the time Chelsea were dominant in the PL under Mourinho.

Everyone thought they would win stuff in the CL with him but it didn't happen during both tenures.

However, managers changed over time and they just kind of won it won with managers like Di Matteo (I think it was him or the other Assistant manager) and Tuchel without any sort of full season management under them.

City will win it one day, its just bound to come because they have top quality players these days. Pep can overcomplicate his tactics which can reduce a players instinctive nature on the pitch. This can really influence a teams ability on finals and knock out games.

At the same time I can't be sure that City don't win it during a top world class managers tenure either; the same as I can't say that their world class players may just fluke a CL one day soon too.

I've seen teams like Porto fluke a CL, Liverpool’s Benitez team fluke a CL, Chelsea's assistant/cover manager fluking a CL - you don't really have to be the best team under the best manager in the world to win the CL, so I believe City can win it one day either with a world class manager or not.

Lyricist

So Atletico had zero shots on target, zero shots off target, zero blocked shots, only 30% possession, and zero corner kicks against City. And we got knocked out by those cnuts.
Actually I remember Llorente having a shot on target in a situation that could have resulted in a goal. Just his shot was somehow more of a lofted back pass. Either way, they offered practically nothing all game, you’re absolutely right,

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
So Atletico had zero shots on target, zero shots off target, zero blocked shots, only 30% possession, and zero corner kicks against City. And we got knocked out by those cnuts.
This is how they get you. I remember being incredibly annoyed when they beat us. They'll take the 1-0 defeat home, score from their only chance and take it to penalties. Then it's 60-40 in Atletico's favour.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah Atlético put in a dismal performance but don't count them out just yet, they are perfectly capable of beating City at home with one goal difference - these kind of tactics are also more efficient now that the away goal rule is gone.

KeanoMagicHat

City know how to press and stop counters, it was night and day the difference in winning the ball back off them. Atletico were still negative against United, but when they wanted to attack they could often break through at will.

World Game

Does anyone here think that most of the Liverpool players could have some kind of substance in their blood stream?

Teams like Juventus in the past were caught and sentenced for this so i'm not saying anything that is far fetched.
Almost 2/3 of their squad are "asthmatic" and take PEDs. Make of that what you will.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Yeah Atlético put in a dismal performance but don't count them out just yet, they are perfectly capable of beating City at home with one goal difference - these kind of tactics are also more efficient now that the away goal rule is gone.
Wouldn't be the first time they drag some team into a dark alley to mug them off. If they can get a lead at home, it's game on for them.

Ludens the Red

Still not convinced of this. They may get some more followers on Twitter but these lot were selling quarter final champions league tickets on general sale in bucketloads.
I was in Istanbul and Lagos recently, saw lots of the usual Arsenal, chelsea, Liverpool, United kits but as usual no sign of any city ones.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Still not convinced of this. They may get some more followers on Twitter but these lot were selling quarter final champions league tickets on general sale in bucketloads.
I was in Istanbul and Lagos recently, saw lots of the usual Arsenal, chelsea, Liverpool, United kits but as usual no sign of any city ones.
I can only speak from my own experiences and you are right that the usual suspects are still in the overwhelming majority, but you do see them from time to time (for myself, abroad, but most of the times in Belgium because of KDB). I now have friends and colleagues who actually support City, that was unthinkable when I was young (10-20 years ago). They are still up and coming, if they remain a contender for the next 30 years, there will be a few generations that have not known anything other than City being a powerhouse in European football (should they win a few CLs as well). Vice versa, should this malaise for Utd continue for as long, there will be people who are 18 years old who haven't experienced a succesful United side in their lifetime. It takes a long time to change the order in football now because of global fanbase, generated income, ... but it is possible, and on-field successes still matter a lot imo.

Re: the sales, true enough but that shows a lack of local fans, doesn't it? If Liverpool can't fill up Anfield next week, I can't just fly in to watch a game at random on a few days notice, unfortunately.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Don’t disagree with his general point though, sportswashing clearly works and whilst city winning things means nothing to me. Eventually they’ll gain a bigger global following off the back of winning trophies for another 10 or so years. At that point it’ll be considered normal and their inflated revenues and sponsorships will actually align with what they purport them to be.

GlasgowCeltic

Wish BT would get Wenger from Bein for these big CL games, his insight isn’t worth putting up with that hairy handed freak

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
It was creatine, and it was legal...no one was sentenced basically.
The questionable part was the quantity of the substance, but not the substance itself.

i have no doubts other clubs have done the same, they just didn't get caught or didn't win enough titles to make people see something suspicious in them.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I'm not very anxious about today's game. I think I spent too much time with PSG's hangover.
Without looking at the line-ups, I imagine he will go with CKM+Valverde and Camavinga in the second half.
As in the previous game, Simeone mentality. I would be happy with a draw, and maybe a 1-0 depending on how the match goes, and play it all at the Bernabéu on a night with a great atmosphere, although I am afraid that Chelsea are not as naive as PSG

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Yeah Chelsea are not bottlers. In the past 2 decades you can call them boring, lucky, bad/average at times and whatever, but mentally very strong.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I'm not very anxious about today's game. I think I spent too much time with PSG's hangover.
Without looking at the line-ups, I imagine he will go with CKM+Valverde and Camavinga in the second half.
As in the previous game, Simeone mentality. I would be happy with a draw, and maybe a 1-0 depending on how the match goes, and play it all at the Bernabéu on a night with a great atmosphere, although I am afraid that Chelsea are not as naive as PSG
Maybe winning it last season as made me less nervous this season but I was 10x more nervous going to our clash last season than I am today.

Will probably feel different come kick off time though. These are the kind of games I absolutely love. I know people sometimes wish for an easy path but you can't replicate the excitement of playing Real Madrid at home in the CL knockouts.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yeah i see so many kids with psg shirts. A year or so ago my 7 year old decided he was a PSG fan :lol:

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Maybe winning it last season as made me less nervous this season but I was 10x more nervous going to our clash last season than I am today.

Will probably feel different come kick off time though. These are the kind of games I absolutely love. I know people sometimes wish for an easy path but you can't replicate the excitement of playing Real Madrid at home in the CL knockouts.
As you say it’s unbeatable. I was at OT for the 2nd leg against Barca in 2008 and all I could think of from the moment my trip was confirmed was that game: how great it would be to progress, but if one of their many world class players scores a single goal we are probably out due to the away goal rule, etc. Then once you see OT in front of you you are a nervous wreck. Incredible experience.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah i see so many kids with psg shirts. A year or so ago my 7 year old decided he was a PSG fan :lol:
PSG's top is one of the most popular and highest selling football tops in London. They're basically treated as casual wear/good fashion and you see them literally everywhere.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid

And this time without an empty stadium!
Imagine if we lose again and you become our new Lyon :D

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
I am aware Champions League gives players an extra boot of motivation and focus but it is clear for all to see that Real Madrid have been playing extremely badly against too many teams in 2022 (Athletic, PSG away, Barcelona, Celta etc), so it is safe to say Chelsea are the big favourites for today's game.

Don't let the Brentford game fool you. Chelsea changed the system in that match, making it look like football was not their game, same as Paul Newman was pretending snooker was not his thing in The Hustler. We all know how that turned out to be.

On top of that, Google Big Data Algorithm is also giving Chelsea the big favorite role. We are used to experts getting it wrong constantly, but so far the silicon gods have predicted football results very fairly. My prediction as well and even more so if Ancellotti insists on CKM + Asensio variant: very clear and comfortable Chelsea win.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
KCM start. Valverde up front next to Vini and Benzema?

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Bale is still at RM? And he's still a sub? :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's a strong Real lineup though. I'd be worried as a Chelsea fan. Torn about which game to watch, I need to see what Bayern are about for obvious reasons but this game looks a cracker.

Blackwidow

Bayern XI against Villarreal:
Neuer ©
Pavard, Upamecano, Hernández, Davies
Kimmich, Musiala
Gnabry, Müller, Coman
Lewandowski​

Bayern subs: Ulreich, Früchtl - Richards, Süle, Goretzka, Sané, Wanner, Sabitzer, Roca, Nianzou, Tillman, Stanišić

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Real Madrid going to have a go tonight, thought they’d be more defensive.
Isn't that the same lineup as last season minus Marcelo and Hazard?

Edit: Forgot Alaba for Ramos.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Bayern XI against Villarreal:
Neuer ©
Pavard, Upamecano, Hernández, Davies
Kimmich, Musiala
Gnabry, Müller, Coman
Lewandowski​

Bayern subs: Ulreich, Früchtl - Richards, Süle, Goretzka, Sané, Wanner, Sabitzer, Roca, Nianzou, Tillman, Stanišić
Good to see Musiala starting such a big-ish game and in CM at that. Flick will be happy.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Valverde is a good player but if he plays on the wing he's half the player.

Bad choice, Carlo, bad choice.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea lineup.

Mendy
Christensen Silva Rudiger
James Kante Jorginho Azpi
Mount Pulisic
Havertz

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Chelsea lineup.

Mendy
Christensen Silva Rudiger
James Kante Jorginho Azpi
Mount Pulisic
Havertz
Well I for one am absolutely stunned that Tuchel has picked a back five instead of a back four.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Valverde is a good player but if he plays on the wing he's half the player.

Bad choice, Carlo, bad choice.
Bigger mistake is the KCM midfield to be fair. That said, Chelsea haven't started Kovacic so that is a bonus for your lot as he is their best CM.

Wheato

I am surprised how some United fans here are okay with City winning this thing.

Dont you find ZERO European Cups continuing besides their name hilarious?
I'm surprised that they haven't won it already. They have been head and shoulders one of the best teams in Europe for about 4 seasons. I think the only team out there at the moment that can stop them is Bayern.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Id say thats a will and determination to win , I could see how that would seem alien to a United Fan at the moment.

Almost 2/3 of their squad are "asthmatic" and take PEDs. Make of that what you will.
That sounds like Bollox.

Wouldn't that be all over the place (The Times or Athletic for example) if it was true?

Also (if it was true) wouldn't every single other top side be in the same boat? Why would Clubs allow Pep (PED allegations against him on here) and Klopp to dope while they linger behind?

I haven't heard of a PED that can produce a pass like TAAs last night?

MarkMorgan

Supports
LA Galaxy
Bayern with players like Goretzka, Sane, and Süle on the bench. What a team.