g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Champions League Round of 16 (12th Feb - 13th Mar)

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
That midfield does nothing against decent opposition imo.

NoPace

Our midfield selection will be interesting. I've found Klopp's approach to his midfield far too conservative in some games this season. He'll go for something like Wijnaldum, Fabinho & Henderson instead of adding a more creative player like Shaqiri. It usually means we're solid but struggle to create unless our front three play well.

Very hard tie to call.
If only Liverpool had signed the best attacking #8 in the Bundesliga perfectly suited to provide both attacking and overall midfield play as the furthest in a trio.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
If only Liverpool had signed the best attacking #8 in the Bundesliga perfectly suited to provide both attacking and overall midfield play as the furthest in a trio.
He's injured.

Can23

Supports
Liverpool
That midfield does nothing against decent opposition imo.

Terrible midfield. Should be Hendo or Milner never both in a midfield and dropping Fabinho to the bench is a massive mistake.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
Even if we'd potentially be a tougher tie for you than Bayern? Seems daft to me. I'd take second in the league right now if it meant a Liverpool vs United final.
What is wrong with you mate? Why would you give up the league for a place in the final? I don't think that Liverpool will be a tougher opponent than Bayern anyway. Bayern Munich for all their "struggles" is still on track to win the treble and they have world-class players. Despite the points difference in the league, I don't think that our squad's quality is too far off Liverpool and form goes out of the window when we play you anyway.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
At least 3 of the 6 mini-league will be in the CL quarter-finals, perhaps 4 (I have Liverpool as slight favourites tonight) so I think describing the top 6 as pony is harsh.

But I was disagreeing with the notion that all you need to do is have a go at City and we'll fold. Tactically, I think City would fancy their chances of beating anyone who decides to have a go and play openly against us, except perhaps Liverpool. I think where we struggle more is against teams who set-up in a very structured, disciplined way, who are comfortable with City dominating possession, but are lethal on the break with pace on the wings/up front.
Using 1 season as a benchmark is silly. Also you've described exactly what I meant. A team that has an organised defense, has a midfield that can supply quality forwards will generally beat City. City leave their defenders 1v1 with a high line which is very risky against eliteplayers that make light work of 1v1s and need to be double and triple teamed.

This is a bit odd. You think there is a significant gulf in quality between City and all the other top sides in England?
It's pretty fecking obvious. If you think otherwise then you are the odd one.

Guardiolas system also helps player to perform a lot better too. He got a systematic way to create chances and not just let the players open teams up. I think it could work well with weaker sides too if you work on defending too and to mix it up. I think Guardiola is not the ideal manager to turn things around as motivation is not his strenght unlike tactics. When things are going well he will further improve a side to make them very hard to stop.
No it would not work with weaker sides as admitted by himself. Guardiola needs quality footballers to implement his way, and he elevates these quality footballers. He can make room for 1 or 2 technically deficient players where he adjusts his tactics to force the ball away from them, but a team filled with workhorses and big lumps doesn't work under him.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
What is wrong with you mate? Why would you give up the league for a place in the final? I don't think that Liverpool will be a tougher opponent than Bayern anyway. Bayern Munich for all their "struggles" is still on track to win the treble and they have world-class players. Despite the points difference in the league, I don't think that our squad's quality is too far off Liverpool and form goes out of the window when we play you anyway.
A Liverpool vs United final would just be huge. I'd love to see it.

City will win the league anyway.

Judas

Open to offers
You see that Liverpool midfield and you just think how could they possibly win, and yet I still think they've got a great chance, seeing as Bayern have to attack.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft

A Liverpool vs United final would wreck me. It's too much for both set of fans and I don't think anyone can cope with a loss. It would be massively huge you're right, probably the most watched European Cup final in history.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
A Liverpool vs United final would wreck me. It's too much for both set of fans and I don't think anyone can cope with a loss. It would be massively huge you're right, probably the most watched European Cup final in history.
Besides Barcelona vs Real Madrid, I can't really imagine a bigger final. Messi vs Ronaldo would be up there too :drool: If we can't make it, then sod it, give us that final on the 10 year anniversary of 09.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
You see that Liverpool midfield and you just think how could they possibly win, and yet I still think they've got a great chance, seeing as Bayern have to attack.
Bayern don't have to attack, they have home advantage and a cautious approach is fine because the fans will be up for it. Even on penalties they are favoured because of the home advantage.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Liverpool won the league months ago. How long do you plan to keep up with the pretense?

The prospect of a United vs Liverpool final is terrifying and exciting in equal measure.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
Bayern don't have to attack, they have home advantage and a cautious approach is fine because the fans will be up for it. Even on penalties they are favoured because of the home advantage.
Chelsea disagrees. :nono:

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Think I'd rather want a United v City final.

Mick321

Come on Bayern! Pretty confident they'll go through, Liverpool's front 3 gets isolated away from home infront of such a negative midfield. Hopefully crap like Rafinha don't do anything silly.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool won the league months ago. How long do you plan to keep up with the pretense?

The prospect of a United vs Liverpool final is terrifying and exciting in equal measure.
I win £200 if Liverpool end up trophyless, so please tell me it's not true :lol:

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
What a terrible midfield, don’t understand the point in that as there’s no link between midfield and attack.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
Using 1 season as a benchmark is silly. Also you've described exactly what I meant. A team that has an organised defense, has a midfield that can supply quality forwards will generally beat City. City leave their defenders 1v1 with a high line which is very risky against eliteplayers that make light work of 1v1s and need to be double and triple teamed.
Ah ok, seems we were on the same page then, maybe just using different terminology. Yes agree with that last sentence especially. We're vulnerable to teams who can breakaway with high quality especially if our full backs are pushed too far forwards leaving the centre backs exposed. Guardiola has slightly adapted that in the two league games vs Liverpool this season so perhaps he acknowledges/recognises the problem somewhat, but I think he's too stubborn to totally adapt his approach.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Horrible midfield. One of the worst in top leagues of Europe. No exaggeration. We might still win tonight (less likely now with that midfield) but that will be because of other players. Simply horrible.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
I'm on the fence, guys. Liverpool being knocked out today would allow them to fully focus on the PL for the remainder of the season. And I severely dislike Bayern, so...

I'm sayin' let Liverpool get to QF (semis?), so Juve or Barça can kick their arses, perhaps a couple of UCL injuries right before PL matches :devil:...

JSArsenal

Ferdinand and the rest are talking about Lewandowski, saying there is a question mark over him in big games.

Hasn't he scored 4 goals against Real Madrid? He must have also scored against Dortmund and Bayern as well

Vadim

I'm on the fence, guys. Liverpool being knocked out today would allow them to fully focus on the PL for the remainder of the season. And I severely dislike Bayern, so...

I'm sayin' let Liverpool get to QF (semis?), so Juve or Barça can kick their arses, perhaps a couple of UCL injuries right before PL matches :devil:...
Don’t wish injuries on other players mate, have some class.

RedDevil@84

I'm sayin' let Liverpool get to QF (semis?), so Juve or Barça can kick their arses, perhaps a couple of UCL injuries:devil:...
If you are anyways going to wish them injuries, why bother to wish them get through to next round. You could wish loss and injuries in this round itself.

Unless of course you are frightened by the prospect of Barca facing Bayern in the QFs

Vadim

Horrible midfield. One of the worst in top leagues of Europe. No exaggeration. We might still win tonight (less likely now with that midfield) but that will be because of other players. Simply horrible.
It’s not that bad of a midfield. It’s just very workmanlike and could with a player with craft.

I remember when we used to play with Fletcher and Park Ji Sung in midfield in the CL!