Champions League Round of 16 (16th Feb - 17th Mar)

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
No, they're playing Wolfsberg. Wolfsberger is an adjective. It's like saying Londoner.
Pretty sure they aren't mate.
You'll have to eat humble pie on this one, Pagh.
Unless Wolfsberg are in Austria they ain't.
What? Pretty sure I know my own language.
Pagh you are sounding arrogant here, you are wrong.

Wolfsberger are called WAC otherwise known as Wolfsberger Athletic Club, but are from Wolfsberg in Austria. The full name of the club is Riegler & Zechmeister Pellets Wolfsberger Athletik Club.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
How bad are Lazio? Horrendous defensive display.

Also, has Süle played RB before? Some funny skills from him :lol:

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Pagh you are sounding arrogant here, you are wrong.

Wolfsberger are called WAC otherwise known as Wolfsberger Athletic Club, but are from Wolfsberg in Austria. The full name of the club is Riegler & Zechmeister Pellets Wolfsberger Athletik Club.
It's still an adjective. You wouldn't say Londoner play Mancunian, would you?

Lyricist

As a German I can say that Pagh is correct, but it's really not a big deal. I get where the mistake comes from and it might be difficult to know for non German speakers.

Think about Hamburger SV. They're not from Hamburger either, they're from Hamburg.

Wolfsberger AC is basically German for AC (for the town/city of) Wolfsberg.
Wolfsburg are the German side. I think the ones thinking that Wolfsberg=Wolfsburg didn't cover themselves in glory here. Everyone else is fine. :P

Pagh Wraith

This board gets dumber by the day.
I'm scratching my head here haha

I'll try one more time. *breathe* Wolfsberger is the adjective derived from the word Wolfsberg. Just as Londoner is the adjective of London. So if there were a German football club based in London, it would be called Londoner FC. But you cannot just use the adjective on its own. Spurs are playing Wolfsberg.

uamini

Supports
Herta BSC
Calling the club Wolfsberger because they're the WAC is like calling HSV Hamburger. The -er only makes sense if you use the full name.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
If the team was called Londoner FC, what else would you call it?
Londoner FC alright, but *only* in conjunction with the FC.

So anyway, we're much better than I feared, or Lazio are way worse. Süle is having a good game at RB, and I'm chuffed for Musiala and Sané.

Anduin

Pretty sure they aren't mate.
Well yes, technically he's right. I'm Austrian and Wolfsberg is a town with around 25.000 inhabitants. It's pretty common in German to add "er" at the end of names. (A) Wolfsberger simply means from or living in Wolfsberg, but here we simply call the club WAC.

Funny discussion though with the Münchner Bayern having a stroll in the park in Rome! Sane didn't even celebrate FFS.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
As a German I can say that, Pagh is correct, but it's really not a big deal. I get where the mistake comes from and it might be difficult to know for non German speakers.

Think about Hamburger SV. They're not from Hamburger either, they're from Hamburg.

Wolfsberger AC is basically German for AC (for the town/city of) Wolfsberg.
Wolfsburg are the German side. I think the ones thinking that Wolfsberg=Wolfsburg didn't cover themselves in glory here. Everyone else is fine. :P
I thought this may be the case!

Thanks for clarifying. Interesting.

I hope to visit the city of Borussia one day.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Well yes, technically he's right. I'm Austrian and Wolfsberg is a town with around 25.000 inhabitants. It's pretty common in German to add "er" at the end of names. (A) Wolfsberger simply means from or living in Wolfsberg, but here we simply call the club WAC.
Yeh I clocked us English were being the arrogant ones as usual halfway through :lol:

Pagh Wraith

Didn't think that would cause such a stir! I was just mildly amused by the commentator saying Wolfsberger. Hamburger would have been even funnier indeed.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
It's still an adjective. You wouldn't say Londoner play Mancunian, would you?
Adjective or not the name Wolfsberger is in the club name how is that difficult to understand? If Wolfsberger is in the name then it is Wolfsberger not Wolfsberg. If Manchester United was called Mancunian United then you would say Mancunian but it says Manchester.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
It's same as with Hamburger SV in Germany. You will say we are playing Hamburg or Hamburger SV and not we are playing Hamburger.

However, it requires German language skills which English commentators understandably don't have.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Adjective or not the name Wolfsberger is in the club name how is that difficult to understand? If Wolfsberger is in the name then it is Wolfsberger not Wolfsberg. If Manchester United was called Mancunian United then you would say Mancunian but it says Manchester.
He should just call them pellet, since that's in their club name, too.

Lyricist

Take Young Boys Bern for example.
Say they were Tottenham's opponents, would Tottenham be playing Young or would they be playing Young Boys Bern?