Champions league Semi Finals 2020-21 - April 27-28 and May 4-5

gibers

My friend is a Bayern supporter and he agrees that City this season is a tiny bit better because of their defense .But he also said that Bayern played way better then City against PSG with Gnabry and Lewandowski injured.

Bayern vs City would be a incredible match but FIFA ruined it with their International duty , where Lewandowski got injured against Andorra and Gnabry got Covid during National Team
Bayern's defence didn't really matter because at full strength they blow everyone away. Lewa pretty much scored on every shot he had. They are as good if not better on the ball than City and they press harder. They are essentially peak Liverpool with 3 clinical finishers in Lewa, Gnabry and Muller. Bayern's defence was never stellar, they just backed themselves to always win.

jesperjaap

I wasn't being serious with ESL.

Money going into PSG and Man City isnt the problem. It's who is financing it is the issue.
I know was less about the ESL and more about souls being ripped out and title challenges etc being bought. Dont get me wrong I do agree, a big difference between likes of Jack Walker and some of the owners now. But at least some of the clubs most slated,play thing or not, at least some of these owners are genuinely interested in success and building the club.....I mean I hate Chelsea always have and the lack of identity the last 20years especially, but Abramovich ruthless as he is seems to actually lvoe the club, there can be nothing worse that our owners and using debt and leverage of it to build your own wealth further

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
No chance. Bayern with all their players are the best team in the world. They created 4 clear cut chances against PSG. You guys scored 2 jammy goals.
Didn’t watch the game and I’m not a City fan but what your saying is they are only the best team in the world with a certain 11 players. Which may or may not be true but without Lewa (1 player) they are just one of 4-5 top teams in Europe. That shows they aren’t the best. City are top 3 in Europe with any number of different player combinations thus are by %’s better than Bayern.

Marwood

I'm going to play devil's advocate a little bit here.

These ties come down to taking your chances at key moments.

PSG could and maybe should have gone 2-0 up in the first leg, potentially it's a different tie if this happens. They concede a couple of awful goals and PSG lose their composure and go down to 10 men and throw the first leg away.

2nd leg, 1st half Marquinhos hits the bar and Di Maria puts it wide on an open goal, and Mahrez takes City's only clear chance at the other end. Again, taking chances at the key moments define the tie. This leaves PSG in a bad position where they need to take risks and leave themselves open to the counter. 2nd half they again lose their composure, get a man sent off and the margins look at lot wider than they actually were.

Now City deserved to go through because they kept their composure and didn't behave like children. But I don't think the gap between the 2 teams was as wide as some are suggesting.
I'd call that exactly right.

Pundits gloss right over this kind of take because it's their job to go extreme(City were amazing etc etc) but it's true.

At that level it's moments and often a bit of luck.

jesperjaap

I'd agreee with this.

A bit salty here but then it's to be expected in all fairness.

They have a supreme squad this season. They will win it eventually. Football has changed forever. On one hand we have the capitalist yanks screwing football for personal gain. On the other hand we have the arabs who pump in money for their own football gratification... choose your side.
Simple but sums up so much of the downside of football especially in the country perfectly

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I know it's hard to support Arsenal, but come on. Just Relax.
:lol: Kroenke and Arteta are monsters, look what they did to this poor lad...
I think Bayern would have beaten PSG with Lewa & Gnabry fit but this tie was dead with City's second goal in Paris. Even with Mbappe i think it would have been too much.
Hopefully Madrid can get there tomorrow and avoid City winning it. I'd rather see Zidane get one over Pep.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Didn’t watch the game and I’m not a City fan but what your saying is they are only the best team in the world with a certain 11 players. Which may or may not be true but without Lewa (1 player) they are just one of 4-5 top teams in Europe. That shows they aren’t the best. City are top 3 in Europe with any number of different player combinations thus are by %’s better than Bayern.
Bayern weren't just without Lewa, they were without Goretzka, Gnabry and Sule as well. Add to that they were missing something of their first bench options at well like D.Costa, Roca and Tolisso who would have compensated for the injured players but couldn't be selected. It was much more than just saying they were without Lewandowski. Sane was poor in both legs and you would imagine Gnabry might've done better.

Fridge chutney

You mean a City that needed a ridiculous refereeing decision in both matches to beat Dortmund, who are 5th in the BL? Please, Bayern could've easily disposed of this City team.
Agreed. For once I would have wholeheartedly cheered for Bayern, especially against those two wretched oil clubs. City are very lucky indeed.

jesperjaap

Pundits gloss right over this kind of take because it's their job to go extreme(City were amazing etc etc) but it's true.

Yes dominant in the second half in each tie and fully deserving to reach the final, but they could well have been punished at key moments, often from absolutely terrible errors. NOt knocking them as I think they were excellent, but both games could well have been much more different. I thik PSG until the petulance kicked in and frustration in each match were actually very good, they just fluffed there chances and City didnt....and then showed why despite all ther talent that they have failed so many times to win it, the abilities of a Braszilian side, the mentla strength of a weak SPurs side

gibers

We saw what happnes when City rotates against top sides. Chelsea outclassed them when they rested their main players. Bayern lack squad depth. If DIas gets injured City lose that tie. Imagine if KdB, Mahrez, Gundogan and Dias were missing for City in the cl. They would be nowhere near the final. That's the equivalent of players that Bayern missed, especially when Goretska came off.

Fridge chutney

Easiest run ever to a CL final maybe. Basically strolled to it where they'll face one of the weakest finalists in a long time. Its all been so easy due to the squad depth this season of all seasons.

They were always going to win it at some point which of course is part 1 of spoiling football through predictability, but to so blatantly buy it, is very damaging to the game. Let's not pretend it was all pure romance pre city, but the side who were getting battered 8-1 by Middlesbrough in recent memory and yo yoing between leagues now coasting the the 'big competition' is embarrassing for the sport

An Emirati state has bought the top spot in club football, they will take their sportswashing to club World Cup with a tiny club from Manchester. To sanitise their endless abuses. What an ugly ugly game
Well said and perfectly summarized, and it's why the thought of City winning club football's biggest prize is truly repugnant.

jesperjaap

Bayern weren't just without Lewa, they were without Goretzka, Gnabry and Sule as well. Add to that they were missing something of their first bench options at well like D.Costa and Tolisso who would have compensated for the injured players but couldn't be selected. It was much more than just saying they were without Lewandowski. Sane was poor in both legs and you would imagine Gnabry might've done better.
Lewandoski was obviously a huge loss as was Mbappe tonight. Both could well have made the difference..........but both sides had plenty of opportunities to score goals they didnt take, that is the difference in what were both fairly even ties. Of coruse injuries play a part as they have for a lot of sides in certain games this season, but dont use that as an excuse, Bayern were good enough, for once they simply werent ruthless enough and have only themselves to blame fo rnot taking mreo of the chances they created, same for PSG with "we were the better side for 70mins".....no, you werent but it was a very even game first alf of each leg you could have had a cushion in takin gyour chances, you didnt, your own fault

Lentwood

First part I think personally the answer is somewhere in the middle. They have signed a tonne of players of course and had loads and loads of flops, especially in the centre back positions and have spent far more than any other side in Europe.....but on the same token, they have also generally sold players on reasonably price wise and also not broken any transfer records on individual transfers.

As for ourselves, come on. We have spent the second most, the simple fact is we have also made a tonne of awful transfers and worse than City we have often spent huge sums on these transfers. We also have a history going back a long way now of getting abslutely awful transfer fees for players. Apart from those we didnt want to sell I can only think of Lukaka as a decent sale value wise and even that was less than we paid for him wasnt it?

I get what you are saying, but there are simply no excuses, we have been awful in the transfer market over the last decade and lets face it, we have had loads of deadwood we not only could but most certainly should have sold over that period to put towards new signings. This summer for various reasons there are arguments for us selling DeGea, Bailly, Pogba, Lingard, Fred, potentially £200m worth of sales....Bailly has just been given a new contract when he has barely played and rarely performed since his first season, ther eis talk of a £500k per week for Pogba who despite his talent has hardly set the world on fire and been the case of many a debate for and against for FIVE years now, how can someone be getting offered half a million quid a week that divides fans so much......we may be moving in the right direction to a degree, but lets not use City as an excuse to why our transfer dealings on the whole have been dreadful in and out on the whole post Ferguson.....Im just an average fan, yet I could and have many a summer told people half the signings we have made simply arent good enough or right, and half th eother half simply couldnt comment cause knew nothing of Bailly and Martial, Pellestri, AMad for example. Right back to the awful signing of Fellaini and the wrong player in Mata under Moyes up to VDB again this summer being the wrong player when we probably could have got Grealish, we just keep doing it. I think Ole is profiling he right kind of players and attitudes so things are progressing but there is so much more we could do in the market and that has little to do with what you are sayign in my opnion anyway
I’m not “only” comparing them to United. I’m comparing them to all of the historical “big” clubs across Europe.

Sure, we spent awfully for many years and were punished. We’re just starting to put that right. But the clubs benefiting from our poor decisions should be Liverpool, Arsenal, perhaps Leicester, perhaps Spurs.

I am passionate about this because I firmly believe the oil clubs are killing football. Why exactly do you think we almost saw an ESL last month? And why were Chelsea, City and PSG reluctant? It’s not “just” greed, it’s the fact the historical big clubs wanted to implement very tough FFP rules on all ‘member clubs’ and this would have seriously curtailed the excessive spending power of these financially doped vessels.

We can’t on the one hand say we’re trying to “save football” and then “give City credit”. No. They deserve no credit whatsoever. Whatever “City” are now is killing football even faster than the Kroenke’s, the Glazers and the FSGs of this world.

For too long, people have hidden behind the “well you would say that, you support Rival Club X” argument. Rubbish. I despise Liverpool FC, but what they achieved for two seasons was phenomenal. A fantastic team, a fantastic manager, fantastically orchestrated by Michael Edwards. They deserve credit and begrudging respect. They won fair and square. This lot deserve only the apathy with which their “achievements” are received.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Real Madrid - I am now counting on you.

@giorno @carvajal your boys better not disappoint.
We will try to save football again :angel:. With Mendy, Valverde and Ramos I feel more confident. I even trust in a great Hazard match.
Chelsea are going to suffer if they want to qualify. Not so sure about the final

Marwood

Yes dominant in the second half in each tie and fully deserving to reach the final, but they could well have been punished at key moments, often from absolutely terrible errors. NOt knocking them as I think they were excellent, but both games could well have been much more different. I thik PSG until the petulance kicked in and frustration in each match were actually very good, they just fluffed there chances and City didnt....and then showed why despite all ther talent that they have failed so many times to win it, the abilities of a Braszilian side, the mentla strength of a weak SPurs side
Yeah mentality does play a big role in those moments.

Also, I could be wrong as I don't watch them lots, despite all the talent in the world, I wouldn't call their forwards clinical as such.

It's no major surprise to me that Neymar, Mbappe or Di Maria fluff that big moment. If they have a weakness it's consistency with their finishing.

Course they're so good they get a lot of chances but those decisive moments in big games? Not sure about them.

spiriticon

Starting to really detest Champion's League finals in Istanbul.

Can't we have them in Barcelona or Moscow every year?

tayside red

we could do with getting Verratti, great on the ball
Verratti, Pogba and Fernandes...

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Bayern weren't just without Lewa, they were without Goretzka, Gnabry and Sule as well. Add to that they were missing something of their first bench options at well like D.Costa, Roca and Tolisso who would have compensated for the injured players but couldn't be selected. It was much more than just saying they were without Lewandowski. Sane was poor in both legs and you would imagine Gnabry might've done better.
Yeah, Bayern would've beaten them of they had their full team out. I mean they really should've whipped them in the first leg with all those injuries but somehow contrived to feck it up in front of goal.

Banana Republic

..........Now City deserved to go through because they kept their composure and didn't behave like children. But I don't think the gap between the 2 teams was as wide as some are suggesting.
Apart from those PSG chances early on tonight, once they scored that opening goal, City had them in their back pocket for most of the game.
It wasn't down to Neymar and Di Maria bottling it or fluffing their lines.
They snuffed them out efficiently for most of the game and left PSG devoid of any rhythm or ideas how to get their game together.
A full strength Bayern would have been a better test.

I hate City with a passion. Have done all my life, but we have to face facts. Their dominance is only beginning.

.........On the other hand we have the arabs who pump in money for their own football gratification... choose your side.
This is the biggest misunderstanding amongst many Utd fans.
Abu Dhabi are not in this for fun or just kudos.
It's not a rich owner's hobby, indulgence or status symbol.
They are not interested in sport washing. They couldn't care less about that.
This is a serious business plan of epic proportions.
Their aim is to build a highly successful global sports brand, across every continent.
Man City are just a vehicle for this and ultimately will be just one of the components of their worldwide "City" soccer franchise.
They already own 6 clubs around the world, plus 4 teams in Europe (inc. Man City).
Man City are their jewel in the crown, but they are thinking long term, not next season or a couple of seasons ahead.
They are buying up smaller clubs on the cheap and pumping in money, building academies and centres of excellence to transform those clubs into mini versions of City.
They're also banking on the growth and future development of football in the Far Eastern markets. Hence their Chinese, and Japanese clubs.

I personally hope it all fails, but the writing is on the wall.
The worst of it all is Man City could go on to dominate not only the EPL, but also the CL for years to come.

Bastards !

Last edited:

Hammondo

I’m not “only” comparing them to United. I’m comparing them to all of the historical “big” clubs across Europe.

Sure, we spent awfully for many years and were punished. We’re just starting to put that right. But the clubs benefiting from our poor decisions should be Liverpool, Arsenal, perhaps Leicester, perhaps Spurs.

I am passionate about this because I firmly believe the oil clubs are killing football. Why exactly do you think we almost saw an ESL last month? And why were Chelsea, City and PSG reluctant? It’s not “just” greed, it’s the fact the historical big clubs wanted to implement very tough FFP rules on all ‘member clubs’ and this would have seriously curtailed the excessive spending power of these financially doped vessels.

We can’t on the one hand say we’re trying to “save football” and then “give City credit”. No. They deserve no credit whatsoever. Whatever “City” are now is killing football even faster than the Kroenke’s, the Glazers and the FSGs of this world.

For too long, people have hidden behind the “well you would say that, you support Rival Club X” argument. Rubbish. I despise Liverpool FC, but what they achieved for two seasons was phenomenal. A fantastic team, a fantastic manager, fantastically orchestrated by Michael Edwards. They deserve credit and begrudging respect. They won fair and square. This lot deserve only the apathy with which their “achievements” are received.
For a long time fans of other teams were saying the same about teams like United.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
we could do with getting Verratti, great on the ball
Verratti, Pogba and Fernandes...
Doesn't have the head for the Premier League.

See him losing it when they were losing? Now imagine that in our midfield when we go 1-0 down to Wolves or Burnley. Red card walking.

Nice player, shite mentality.

Crustanoid

Apart from those PSG chances early on tonight, City had them in their back pocket for most of the game.
They snuffed them out efficiently for most of the game and left PSG devoid of any rhythm or ideas how to get their game together.

I hate City with a passion. Have done all my life, but we have to face facts. Their dominance is only beginning.

Their aim is to build a highly successful global sports brand, across every continent.
Man City are just a vehicle for this and ultimately will be just one of the components of their worldwide "City" soccer franchise.
They already own 6 clubs around the world, plus 4 teams in Europe (inc. Man City).
Man City are their jewel in the crown, but they are thinking long term, not next season or a couple of seasons ahead.
They are buying up smaller clubs on the cheap and pumping in money, building academies and centres of excellence to transform those clubs into mini versions of City.

I personally hope it fails, but the writing is on the wall.
The worst of it all is Man City could go on to dominate not only the EPL, but also the CL for years to come.

Bastards !
feck em

What are they dominating? A featureless graveyard of a spot which once existed

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
City winning the Premier League and Champions League in the same season would put them up there in terms of most impressive achievements since the PL began. It's hard to really say where it ranks though considering the way COVID has changed things this season. Still a domestic and European double is very impressive when you throw a League Cup in as well.

Banana Republic

City winning the Premier League and Champions League in the same season would put them up there in terms of most impressive achievements since the PL began........
They've already got a domestic double, even if it is just the League Cup.
Sickening as it is, winning the CL as well does put them up there, unfortunately.
I have a nightmare vision, ...........they'll have a few more CL titles by the end of this decade

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
No, but I do acknowledge what they bring on a football pitch.

They have spent massively since 2012 but they've spent it well, to the contrary to many other big clubs. They had a plan from the beginning and they're reaping the benefits now whilst ruffling the footballing establishment's feathers along the way.

There's no chance to force your way to the top (and stay there) without money, that's just how it is. I don't like one bit but there's no way it will change, the FFP made sure of it anyway. Us winning the league in 2016 was the exception, not the rule. As for the sportswashing and whatnot, let's stop pretending that all the big clubs and their owners are all nice, clean and put the footballing interests above everything. What happened the last weeks was for all of us to see.
I agree. The landscape that a lot of fans seem to want to go back to is not the one where any team can win the league, it’s the pre-City, pre-Chelsea one where Man Utd are the financially dominant force and rules such as FFP mean that there is no possible way that other clubs can compete over any length of time. I’d want that too if I was a Utd fan but let’s not dress this up.

fergies coat

Who would of thought in 1999 when we did our historic treble, and city were struggling to get past Gillingham, that 22 years later they would be in a champions league final. It really is a cinderella story. :lol:

Bearded One

He wouldn't. The following video is Sir Alex pissed off after just winning the Scottish Cup against Rangers and 10 days after winning the Cup Winner's Cup!

I think City, PSG and Bayern have the best teams in Europe. Bayern first followed by City and then PSG. Lewa is vital to Bayern but he’s not the only one. In a combined XI between both I’d have:

Neuer
Walker Dias Boateng Davies
Kimmich Goretzka
De Bruyne
Gnabry Lewandowski Coman​

Note that Walker is in there because I wanted to beef the City number. I could take Kimmich to RB and bring in Alaba in midfield too
Funny thing about Bayern is that their bench is also stacked with quality and they got all this whilst spending less. PSG were lucky to beat them. I wish Bayern went through because they are the only ones I trust to knock out City (I said this earlier).

PSG have not ceased to be bottlers, even Dortmund could have knocked out Citeh. Pathetic from PSG.

Hammondo

I agree. The landscape that a lot of fans seem to want to go back to is not the one where any team can win the league, it’s the pre-City, pre-Chelsea one where Man Utd are the financially dominant force and rules such as FFP mean that there is no possible way that other clubs can compete over any length of time. I’d want that too if I was a Utd fan but let’s not dress this up.
This is the truth of it. United fans want their financial advantage back.

Heinzesight

Imagine the tat the travelling City squad will be wearing to Instanbul.

Wheeling out Brian Kidd in a Dsquared2 bomber jacket again is my guess.

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich
You didn't watch the game..

Gnabry, Lewandowski, Goretzka, Süle missed ... , the first 3 missed iin both legs..

On top of these some back up options in Tolisso , Douglas Costa..

It is like missing Fernandinho or KDB + Sterling or Mahrez + Cancelo

I think Bayern still can be the best team wihtout Lewandowski. They had plenty of chances to make it into the next round.

But it is what it is. At the end of the day deep CL runs are also often connected with a bit of luck too. Pep lacked that during his time at Bayern with the injuries. Last year Bayern was lucky to have every player on board.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Swing and a miss. They meltdown every year, including years they batter their league. Same group of players.
People keep saying this, but Man City have melted down every year prior to this one (and they could still lose in the final) despite often ‘battering their league’. I don’t get why they get a pass and PSG are a bunch of dilettantes, despite the fact that PSG have done better in the CL than City up to now.

acnumber9

The landscape that a lot of fans seem to want to go back to is not the one where any team can win the league, it’s the pre-City, pre-Chelsea one where Man Utd are the financially dominant force and rules such as FFP mean that there is no possible way that other clubs can compete over any length of time.
What time was that then? Because there was no time when United could vastly outspend their rivals.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
They say Championship winning sides are built on a strong back line.

Amazing what £200 million worth of CBs can do for you. Stones, Laporte, Dias and Ake. Not to mention Ederson, Walker, Cancelo, Mendy and Zinchenko who must’ve cost upwards of £200 million combined. Close to half a billion on defence alone.
Have we not spent a similar amount on our backline? Which is much more inferior.

80m wasted on Maguire, 50m on AWB, 30m on Shaw, 25? on Lindelof = 185m.

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
Apart from those PSG chances early on tonight, once they scored that opening goal, City had them in their back pocket for most of the game.
It wasn't down to Neymar and Di Maria bottling it or fluffing their lines.
A full strength Bayern would have been a better test.

They're also banking on the growth and future development of football in the Far Eastern markets. Hence their Chinese, and Japanese clubs.

I personally hope it all fails, but the writing is on the wall.

Bastards !
Well I don't think I'm wrong here. Building a successful global sports brand should also coincide with the recognition of Abu Dhabi and all it's close tie affiliates. At the end of the day UAE/Abu Dhabi is trying to build it's economy away from oil and into other ventures. Tourism and football being two examples.