Champions Youth Cup Squad

julesee

On Barnesy....glad to see everyone waking up - this boy is good!

oskarutd

Team v Inter

13. Woods
16. Moffatt
15. C. Evans
7. Chester
8. Eckersley
3. Barnes
2. Lee
14. Derbyshire
9. Bryan
11. Norwood
12. McCormack

1. Zieler
4. Brandy (3)
5. Cathcart
6. Hewson (2)
10. Drinkwater (15)

Oskar, you mentioned Cathcart played but I didn't see him come on? Ecks and Chester played in the middle but I only saw the first hour or so....
He came on for Moffatt who got injured.

julesee

well he was a late starter - was signed from Lancaster (I think) only 1-1.5 years ago

julesee

I only caught the second half of the Barca game but they were all over us....was the same in the 1st half against Porto.... we've probably been a bit lucky to get this far no?

PS18

not at all. i've only caught bits and pieces but a mate of mine who's seen all the games so far (and who, as a chelsea fan, has no reason to lie) has said we fully deserve to be in the semis.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
It kicks off in 35 mins and I'm trying like crazy to find a link. So far no luck.

oskarutd

There must be someone with Setanta sports 2, Al Jazeera Sport 1 or All Karr whom can give us the team sand score.
Any saviour out there?

twitter thread suggester
I only caught the second half of the Barca game but they were all over us....was the same in the 1st half against Porto.... we've probably been a bit lucky to get this far no?
We were classes above Barcelona and had the chances to make it 3 or even 4-0.
In the first half they hardly had a chance.

LouisRocca

Fla 1 - Manchester United 2

Just got a glims on the match, at work:devil:

Brilliant goal for United, I'm not sure who it was, but I think it was number 6, Hewson. Fantastic play by number 4, Brandy? down the wright side, played the ball to I think it was Barnes, who headed it down across the goal again for Hewson to head into the emty net. Great play!

United won 2 -1, Hewson scored both goals, headers, Flamengo scored a pen.
United to the Final!

oskarutd

Fla 1 - Manchester United 2

Just got a glims on the match, at work:devil:

Brilliant goal for United, I'm not sure who it was, but I think it was number 6, Hewson. Fantastic play by number 4, Brandy? down the wright side, played the ball to I think it was Barnes, who headed it down across the goal again for Hewson to head into the emty net. Great play!
Thanks,
finished?

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
feck yeah! Thanks, GR. Hewson, Barnes and Brandy. The usual suspects :devil:

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Hewson scored a great header in the 25th minute from a Barnes cross to give United the lead. Wearing all white, United were the better team in the first half and were deservedly ahead before a very poor refereeing decision led to a Flamengo penalty when one of their players ran into Chester and then fell over.

1-1 at half time

Flamengo had a number of opportunities in the second half and hit the bar twice as United gave away too many free kicks on the edge of the box. However, with a penatly shoot-out looking likely, a very good passing move saw the ball come to Brandy on the right wing. He beat two players and crossed to the far post where Barnes headed it back across goal and Hewson headed the bouncing ball into the net on 63 minutes. United then held out for the remaining seven minutes to reach the final.

Full-time: 2-1 to United

We now play the winners of AC Milan and Juventus in the final.

I only saw the highlights so haven't got the full team but I think it was:

1. Zieler
12. McCormack
8. Eckersley (?)
5. Cathcart
7. Chester
?
2. Lee
6. Hewson
4. Brandy
10. Drinkwater (?)
3. Barnes

Not sure if Drinkwater came on as a sub but he was playing at the end. Other midfielder could have been Norwood, Evans or Derbyshire.

A great effort to reach the final.....let's hope we can go all the way!

oskarutd

Hewson scored a great header in the 25th minute from a Barnes cross to give United the lead. Wearing all white, United were the better team in the first half and were deservedly ahead before a very poor refereeing decision led to a Flamengo penalty when one of their players ran into Chester and then fell over.

1-1 at half time

Flamengo had a number of opportunities in the second half and hit the bar twice as United gave away too many free kicks on the edge of the box. However, with a penatly shoot-out looking likely, a very good passing move saw the ball come to Brandy on the right wing. He beat two players and crossed to the far post where Barnes headed it back across goal and Hewson headed the bouncing ball into the net on 63 minutes. United then held out for the remaining seven minutes to reach the final.

1. Zieler
12. McCormack
8. Eckersley (?)
5. Cathcart
7. Chester
?
2. Lee
6. Hewson
4. Brandy
10. Drinkwater (?)
3. Barnes

Not sure if Drinkwater came on as a sub but he was playing at the end. Other midfielder could have been Norwood, Evans or Derbyshire.

Brilliant info as usual. Thanks.
They have done brilliantly.
We could have played Gray, J. Evans, Shawcross, S. Evans, Campbell, Gibson and more, so this is excellant. So now we need to win a final!!!!

LouisRocca

Thanks Tony! Brilliant info as allways!
It's fantastic to see all the info from both you and Oscar, I've all liked UNITEDs youth policy, I from you and some others in here, there are allways a chance to get updated...

... by the way, as some of you might see, my username has lost some of the UNITEDnes of it... Does anyone of you know how to change my username??

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Thanks Tony! Brilliant info as allways!
It's fantastic to see all the info from both you and Oscar, I've all liked UNITEDs youth policy, I from you and some others in here, there are allways a chance to get updated...

... by the way, as some of you might see, my username has lost some of the UNITEDnes of it... Does anyone of you know how to change my username??
PM one of the mods

oskarutd

Really? What is the cut-off point age wise?
It´s an under 19 competition. J. Evans, Gray are at least born in 1988 so they are elligable even if the cut off is 1. January 1988. We could also have used Cleverley, Amos and Fagan if they weren´t injured.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
It´s an under 19 competition. J. Evans, Gray are at least born in 1988 so they are elligable even if the cut off is 1. January 1988. We could also have used Cleverley, Amos and Fagan if they weren´t injured.
Thanks. Gibbo is born in 1987 though. A bit daft that the age rules aren't on the official website.

PS18

1-1 at half time

1. Zieler
12. McCormack
8. Eckersley (?)
5. Cathcart
7. Chester
?
2. Lee
6. Hewson
4. Brandy
10. Drinkwater (?)
3. Barnes

i'm reliably informed the other midfielder was Corry Evans, and Drinkwater started :)

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Champions

From the Champions Youth Cup website:

It was a classic battle between Juventus, a team with the best defensive record in the tournament, against Manchester United, a side blessed with free-flowing attacking play. In the end all it took was a moment of genius from Manchester United's rising star Febian Brandy to clinch the inaugural Champions Youth Cup trophy at the Bukit Jalil Stadium here today. Brandy, in the 50th minute, sneaked past the defence and blasted the Devils ahead. "I'm simply delighted with the result. I was also extremely pleased with the performance of the players. They stuck to the game plan from the start and it paid off handsomely. We played a patient game and relied on counter attacks … and it worked tonight," said Andrew Welsh. The coach sang praises for Brandy, who has been one of the most exciting players in this tournament, scoring three goals for this team. "With him around the others have no time to relax and he keeps the team on their toes," said Welsh. "It has been a fantastic tournament and we had a wonderful two and a half weeks here. The boys got to play teams from different part of the world and it was a learning experience for them. We will definitely return to defend the title next year."

Like they had in their previous matches, United attacked from the word go and were almost rewarded as early as the 13th minute but Michael Barnes' low drive missed its target by inches. Juventus relied on their superior defending skills and managed to thwart all the raids that went their way. Midway through the first half, playmaker Ayub Daud's free kick, from the edge of the box, hit the underside of the bar and bounced back into play but it quickly cleared by the alert United defence. In the second half, the Italians came charging back and held possession for long stretches but against the run of play United struck in the 50th minute. With time rapidly running out, Juventus piled on the pressure but were unable to break through and had to settle for the second spot.

Team:

1. Zieler
12. McCormack
8. Eckersley
5. Cathcart
7. Chester
15. C. Evans
2. Lee
6. Hewson
4. Brandy
10.Drinkwater
3. Barnes

Subs:

9. Bryan (10)
11. Norwood
13. Woods
14. Derbyshire
16. Moffatt

Absolutely fantastic result for the young reds!

OldRed1

From the Champions Youth Cup website:

It was a classic battle between Juventus, a team with the best defensive record in the tournament, against Manchester United, a side blessed with free-flowing attacking play. In the end all it took was a moment of genius from Manchester United's rising star Febian Brandy to clinch the inaugural Champions Youth Cup trophy at the Bukit Jalil Stadium here today. Brandy, in the 50th minute, sneaked past the defence and blasted the Devils ahead. "I'm simply delighted with the result. I was also extremely pleased with the performance of the players. They stuck to the game plan from the start and it paid off handsomely. We played a patient game and relied on counter attacks … and it worked tonight," said Andrew Welsh. The coach sang praises for Brandy, who has been one of the most exciting players in this tournament, scoring three goals for this team. "With him around the others have no time to relax and he keeps the team on their toes," said Welsh. "It has been a fantastic tournament and we had a wonderful two and a half weeks here. The boys got to play teams from different part of the world and it was a learning experience for them. We will definitely return to defend the title next year."

Like they had in their previous matches, United attacked from the word go and were almost rewarded as early as the 13th minute but Michael Barnes' low drive missed its target by inches. Juventus relied on their superior defending skills and managed to thwart all the raids that went their way.
Midway through the first half, playmaker Ayub Daud's free kick, from the edge of the box, hit the underside of the bar and bounced back into play but it quickly cleared by the alert United defence. In the second half, the Italians came charging back and held possession for long stretches but against the run of play United struck in the 50th minute. With time rapidly running out, Juventus piled on the pressure but were unable to break through and had to settle for the second spot.

Team:

1. Zieler
12. McCormack
8. Eckersley
5. Cathcart
7. Chester
15. C. Evans
2. Lee
6. Hewson
4. Brandy
10.Drinkwater
3. Barnes

Subs:

9. Bryan
11. Norwood
13. Woods
14. Derbyshire
16. Moffatt

Absolutely fantastic result for the young reds!
Great result, our first trophy for the season. Now we need to drag Brandy into the first team. :)

XmanN

Managed to catch bits & pieces of some games on the telly. Tell you, we played some brilliant football. The passing & movement of the players were excellent. Pitted (& won) against top clubs in Europe these lads surely got a heck of a chance to break into the 1st team. Did the class of 92 had the experience of playing against top class opposition during their development?