Champions Youth Cup Squad

pjaya

Great game played at fast tempo,

final score 3-2 to United!:devil:

Drinkwater,Hewson and Brandy scored!

Top of the group and qualified to knock out stage!

:devil::devil:

oskarutd

Great game played at fast tempo,

final score 3-2 to United!:devil:

Drinkwater,Hewson and Brandy scored!

Top of the group and qualified to knock out stage!

:devil::devil:
Thanks alot !
Any news on the starting eleven and subs?

rotherham_red

dont know about this match, but boca's no.10 (gaitan i think his name is) was absoloutely superb against inter. a young riquelme...

was this match on setanta btw? if it was, im absoloutely pissed that i missed it!

Midfield

Red
2nd half we were under pressure since most of Boca players were all out attack to find an equalizer, and several times we did a good counter attack but cannot convert it into another goal, I am impressed with Hewson and other lad with a ginger hair :D (don't know his name though, Barnes?).

Bring on Inter!

air_mood

Barnes looks great and promising. Was constantly threatening on the left. Will defo go and see them when they come down to KL.

Midfield

Red
Manutd.com is shite, can't find any information about the academy/reserves news, and the menu is quite confusing, I have to clicks some links several times to viewing a news.

Barnes looks great and promising. Was constantly threatening on the left. Will defo go and see them when they come down to KL.
Yep, that's the fella.

Midfield

Red
Probably a little bit late, but here are the participants.

Group A - Alor Setar
AC Milan
CR Flamengo
AFC Ajax
Arsenal FC

Group B - Kuantan
FC Barcelona
Juventus FC
Paris Saint-Germain
Qatar

Group C - Malacca
Manchester United FC
CA Boca Juniors
FC Internazionale
FC Porto

Group D - Kuching
FC Bayern München
PSV Eindhoven
Malaysia
Chelsea FC

Source:thechampionsyouthcup.com

Manchester United emerged victorious after a tremendous battle against Boca Juniors at the Hang Jebat Stadium here tonight to book their place in the last eight of the Champions Youth Cup.
Manchester United emerged victorious after a tremendous battle against Boca Juniors at the Hang Jebat Stadium here tonight to book their place in the last eight of the Champions Youth Cup.

The English club, despite having one more game to go, claimed their place in the next round after a sensational 3-2 win tonight, their second consecutive victory in as many matches. So irrespective of the result against Inter Milan on Monday, Manchester United will be able to catch up with their fans in Kuala Lumpur.

Goals from Daniel Drinkwater in the fifth minute, Sam Hewson in the 22nd and Febian Brandy in the 40th provided the 5,000-plus fans with plenty to cheer about.

The two goals from Boca's Lius Ilbanez in the 26th minute and Carlos Colazzo in the 60th minute certainly added to the excitement especially in the later stages as they pushed hard for the equalizer.

Despite going down, the South Americans are still in with a chance to make the last eight.

Inter Milan have one foot in the door after their 1-0 win over FC Porto here tonight. The Italians have four points from their two matches and one more against Manchester United in their final group match on Monday would be enough to see them through.

For Porto though, tonight’s loss, their second after going down to Manchester United two days ago, meant that they were out of contention.

Aiman Napoli’s fifth minute goal after beating the FC Porto offside trap made all the difference as Inter Milan clung on to their slender lead to collect the three full points.

The 2-2 draw against Boca on Thursday had given them the start they were looking for and against Porto they looked very confident as they went in search of the early goal.

FC Porto coach, Patrick Greveraars, FC Porto coach: “We are disappointed that our journey has come to an end. Two defeats in two matches means we are out of the running. But that's football. You don't score you dont win. But the good thing I can take from the match was that we are playing better with each match and I am sure we will be even better in our final match against Boca Juniors.

Inter Milan coach, Vicenzo Esposito: “We are happy with the four points we have collected so far. Even though we are not playing at our peak, our mental strength helped us through."

Manchester United coach, Andrew Welsh: “What a match. There were goals and some fantastic football from both teams. We are delighted to be in the last eight but then we deserved it. We fought hard and kept our shape because playing Boca with some talented players in their side wasn't easy.

"We knew they could score goals but we also knew if we keep it tight at the back we have a chance too."

PS18

starting lineup for the Boca game was the same as the first game (Zieler, Moffatt, Eckersley, Cathcart, Chester, Lee (c), C Evans, Hewson, Drinkwater, Barnes, Brandy). not sure about subs, trying to find out.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Thanks alot !
Any news on the starting eleven and subs?
1. Zieler
16. Moffatt
8. Eckersley
5. Cathcart
7. Chester
6. Hewson
15. C. Evans
2. Lee
4. Brandy
10. Drinkwater
3. Barnes

Subs:

9. Bryan (9)
11. Norwood (10)
12. McCormack
13. Woods
14. Derbyshire (6)

United scored after 5 minutes afte Danny Drinkwater scored a cracker from 35 yards which flew past the keeper into the top corner. On 23 minutes Sam Hewson made it 2-0 with a great header from just in the penalty area afte a fantastic cross from Michael Barnes. Barnes was a constant thorn to the Boca defence who just couldn't deal with his pace. Boca pulled one back before half time and at the interval United led 2-1.

In the second half United continued to press and on 40 minutes Febian Brandy made it 3-1 after a shot from about ten yards beat the keeper at the near post after being set once again by Barnes. Boca then reduced the scores a little later and in the final ten minutes started to press the United defence.

Zieler had a good game in nets and looked very solid.......the young reds managed to hold out and were deserved winners by 3-2. It appeared that the heat started to affect the team and we lost some of our energy in the latter stages. However it would have been a travesty if we didn't win as we were clearly the better side.

We are now into the quarter-finals and after putting out the same team two games in a row, it wouldn't surprise me if some of the subs got a run in the final group game.

oskarutd

I also saw Gray there.
On MUTV they said Welsh was the teams coach. although McClair clearly was there.
Also on the team sheat the coach name was David Gray!
nr. 17 was James and
nr. 18 Strickland.

julesee

Barnes had his moments in the first game against Porto....a player i like a lot!

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
Conor McCormack scores against Inter. Haven't seen a line-up.

pjaya

last minute, 2-1 to inter,

inter played very dirty hacking united players, :mad: unfortunately brandy was taken out in 15min into 2nd half..forcing united to play with 10 players since we have only bought 16 players over for this tournament

fecking italians, seniors and juniors alike.:mad:

looks like we be playing either barca or juventus

oskarutd

last minute, 2-1 to inter,

inter played very dirty hacking united players, :mad: unfortunately brandy was taken out in 15min into 2nd half..forcing united to play with 10 players since we have only bought 16 players over for this tournament

fecking italians, seniors and juniors alike.:mad:

looks like we be playing either barca or juventus
We lost
Woods in goal
Eckersley right back
Chester and Cathcart cd.
McCormack, Hewson, Drinkwater, Derbyshire, Barnes and Bryan as well
Only saw the last 4 mins.

pjaya

We lost
Woods in goal
Eckersley right back
Chester and Cathcart cd.
McCormack, Hewson, Drinkwater, Barnes and Bryan as well
i worried that brandy will be out of the tournament!

I really think we can win this tourney by looking at the way we have played.:devil:

oskarutd

Barcelona drew 0-0 against Juve, so we will meet them unless Qatar beat PSQ by 2 goals

oskarutd

CYC: Inter, Manchester make it to last eight

PETALING JAYA: Internazionale booked a place in the quarter-finals of the Champions Youth Cup, along with Manchester United from Group C, tonight when it beat Manchester United 2-1.

In the other Group C match, Boca Juniors and FC Porto drew, 1-1. Both teams go home after a dismal three group matches where neither team scored any wins.

Earlier tonight, Barcelona and Juventus booked their quarter-final berths from Group B after they played to a goalless draw at the Darulmakmur Stadium.

In the other Group B match, Qatar and Paris St Germain also scored a draw, 1-1, but it was too little and too late to make any difference.

So, we play Barcelona in the quarters!

rotherham_red

feel a bit sorry for boca not to make it past the group, as they along with us, were the only teams who played decent stuff. inter were very, VERY fortunate to get anything from their game with boca, especially as gaitan, their no.10, hit the bar in the last minute from a free-kick...

Cold_Boy

Barca, Juve, Inter, Manutd Make Last Eight

Barcelona and Juventus made the quarter-finals after they topped Group B at the Champions Youth Cup (CYC) championship here.

Spanish giants Barca and Juve, the fallen Italian giants drew 0-0 in a match at Stadium Darul Makmur tonight.

Juve's best chance came in the 20th min when a shot from striker Donato Bottone was saved by Barca goalkeeper Ruben Mino.

Barca came close in the 49th min through a solo effort from striker Joan Pons Barrera but his shot was parried by Juve goalkeeper Giorgio Merlano.

Barca coach Alejandro Gracia said the Catalan club would give their best performance at the quarter-final on Thursday.

Meanwhile, Juve coach Chiarenza Vincenzo said both teams played open football making the game an entertaining one.

Barca and Juve collected five points from one win and two draws but Barca was placed top having scored more goals.

In another match at the Kuala Lumpur Football Stadium, Qatar and Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) drew 1-1, and crashed out of the championship.

Qatar opened scoring through Hassan Alhayds (45th) while PSG replied through Cedric Nkoum (70th)

Italian champions Inter Milan and English champions Manchester United topped Group C to reach the last eight.

In the final group match at Stadium Hang Jebat, Melaka, the 'Nerrazuris' beat the 'Red Devils' 2-1 to top Group C with seven points.

Man Utd opened scoring through Conor McCormack (26th) while Inter replied through Jose Alves (57th) and Gabrielle Puccio (64th).

Boca Juniors of Argentina and FC Porto of Portugal drew 1-1 in another group match at Stadium Kuala Lumpur, Cheras and were eliminated.

Boca opened scoring through from defender Matias Palavenico (33rd) while Porto equalised through Elisio Esteves (63rd).

Mr. MUJAC

I also saw Gray there.
On MUTV they said Welsh was the teams coach. although McClair clearly was there.
Also on the team sheat the coach name was David Gray!
nr. 17 was James and
nr. 18 Strickland.
Matty James and Kenny Strickland participated in the Northern Ireland Milk Cup and did not travel to Malaysia.

David Gray is still recovering from injury and is not fit.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
When is the game against Barcelona?

BTW, Eurosport shows the games live for those who got it

oskarutd

Matty James and Kenny Strickland participated in the Northern Ireland Milk Cup and did not travel to Malaysia.

David Gray is still recovering from injury and is not fit.
Andy Welsh did the interview after the game (text said his name was David Gray!). He seems to be no longer with Antwerp. I guees he is the new Reserves coach. Gray is there, but seems not able to play like you said. Fagan, Cleverley and Gailbraith must be injured as well. They are not there.

oskarutd

Barcelona

United youth coach Andy Welsh was far from disappointed with Monday's defeat to Internazionale at the Champions Youth Cup in Malaysia.

The Reds surrendered top spot in Group C after losing 2-1 to the Italians, but had already secured a berth in Wednesday's quarter-finals with earlier victories against Porto and Boca Juniors.

Conor McCormack's first-half strike seemed to have United on their way to a third straight victory, but quickfire goals after the interval from Jose Barbosa Alves and Gabriele Puccio saw Inter advance as group winners.

"I am not at all disappointed with the results tonight," said Welsh. "We have already achieved our target which was to make the quarter-finals."

United will face Barcelona in the last eight, and Welsh is hopeful to have a full squad at his disposal for the clash.

"We have not seen Barcelona yet," he said. "But it will be a big game for sure and I hope that all of our best players will be available."
1/10

Champions Youth Cup fixtures
Tuesday, 14 August
Flamengo v PSV Eindhoven
Bayern Munich v AC Milan

Wednesday, 15 August
Barcelona v United
Internazionale v Juventus

Dyslexic Untied

Anyone have any news on Brandy. It looked like it could be a broken leg from what I saw. He had his leg firmly planted on the ground and got a good kick in the shin. He was in tremendous amounts of pain as well.

Kelvin

Still is Brandy all right to play tomorrow game against barcelona?

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
We're screwed without him. Our only other striker is Bryan and he is a bit shit.

PS18

Bryan's not bad. not an out and out striker though and has looked better as an impact player so far.

wish the official site wasn't so atrocious and would give us some info. Brandy could probably have had his leg torn off at the knee and the website wouldn't have said anything.

Mr. MUJAC

We lost
Woods in goal
Eckersley right back
Chester and Cathcart cd.
McCormack, Hewson, Drinkwater, Derbyshire, Barnes and Bryan as well
Team v Inter

13. Woods
16. Moffatt
15. C. Evans
7. Chester
8. Eckersley
3. Barnes
2. Lee
14. Derbyshire
9. Bryan
11. Norwood
12. McCormack

1. Zieler
4. Brandy (3)
5. Cathcart
6. Hewson (2)
10. Drinkwater (15)

Oskar, you mentioned Cathcart played but I didn't see him come on? Ecks and Chester played in the middle but I only saw the first hour or so....

rotherham_red

we beat barca 1-0! Kieran Lee with the goal...

brandy and barnes were by far our best performers...

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Bryan's not bad
I stand corrected, as you've probably seen him more than me. I only saw him make a few sub appearances in last season's youth cup. Wasn't there a rumor going around that he was leaving this summer?

air_mood

Barnes continues to look good. Am not working on Friday. Will go and watch the semis at the stadium.