Championship 2023/24 | 1st legs today

Loftus Road Lad

Supports
QPR
Find the praise for the Leicester manager on this thread a bit odd. They are going up, but they have the best squad in the league by a distance and probably the best championship squad in the last decade. Unfortunately the league is starting to suffer with the relegated prem teams having a massive financial advantage which means they normally go straight back up

MegadrivePerson

I think I'm right in saying that there's never been a season where all three teams relegated have come straight back up to replace all three promoted teams, but it feels like this might be the one.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
So now the top 3 are the relegated clubs and aside from Ipswich (who are collapsing) nobody else is close.

Southampton in 3rd are 12 points clear of West Brom in 5th. Leicester are 26 points clear of 5th and 12 points clear of Leeds in 2nd.

Quite sad.
All three relegated teams managed to retain Premier League quality players & that really does make a difference. Clubs have to make it happen in that first season as the degree of difficulty increases the longer you are there.
I'm happy that Leicester have regrouped & look to return to the Premier. TV coverage for the Champ is terrible !!

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Find the praise for the Leicester manager on this thread a bit odd. They are going up, but they have the best squad in the league by a distance and probably the best championship squad in the last decade. Unfortunately the league is starting to suffer with the relegated prem teams having a massive financial advantage which means they normally go straight back up
The Leicester squad is without a doubt head and shoulders above most Championship sides & the league is suffering from relegated sides having more money & better players. The drop off of TV money & overall interest is huge outside of the Premier League & it's hurting English football in general.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
that's because you didn't see the mess we were in and how low the entire place was, he's also completely changed how we play

Yagami

Good post resistant
He’s excellent. I did a list last year of championship players I like and think he was first on the list. Just a really fun player to watch, and as well as being a goal threat he’s a strong creative passer too. Like you said too good for the league really.
You were spot on! I never thought I'd say this, but since sending Amad on loan there last season Sunderland have been my favourite team to watch. They have so many players I like.

I thought I'd stop watching them after Amad's loan but nope! Not only because the club itself make it easy to keep up with due to uploading full games to their YouTube, but Clarke, Neil, Roberts, Bellingham, Ba, Rusyn, O'Nein and Ballard in defence, Pritchard (before he left this January) just produce entertaining football regardless of who's in charge.

I would like to see Sunderland go up because I want to see how this team copes with PL footy before being dismantled, but I don't think it's likely. I also like to see your Swansea doing well because you're one of my favourite people on here!

Yagami

Good post resistant
Birmingham 2 - 1 Sunderland

Mowbray gets the win in his first match against them since his sacking despite Birmingham being a mess. Still don't know why Sunderland sacked him. For Beale of all people.

Sunderland fans are fuming at Beale.

IRN-BRUno

Birmingham 2 - 1 Sunderland

Mowbray gets the win in his first match against them since his sacking despite Birmingham being a mess. Still don't know why Sunderland sacked him. For Beale of all people.

Sunderland fans are fuming at Beale.
Beale now sacked as well after 12 games!

BristolMick

Wishing big Tony a speedy recovery. Met him just before christmas walking his dog on the beach and was a lovely man with plenty of time for me. Sunderland were stupid to let him go.

IRN-BRUno

Beale now sacked as well after 12 games!
This has taken a weird twist with Sunderland fans now appearing to have found his secret twitter account which he used to defend himself and retweet posts that criticised the owner and fans :lol:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Liam Rosenior doing a good job at Hull. One to keep an eye on in terms of young managers.

Loftus Road Lad

Supports
QPR
When it rains it pours. Really suprising as he has always seemed one of the few good eggs at the club. The Club have said Chair is going to appeal the decision and remains available to play.

I'm hoping it gets settled out of court and he avoids jail time, but if he's guilty and that's his sentence then it is what it is.

We have cover for him following a good january transfer window and we're playing much better than our league position suggests. Cifuentes looks our best manager for a while.

However never good to potentially lose your best player and if we stay up if has potential FFP ramifications for us as we were expecting to sell him for good money in summer.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Anyone see that Ricardo Pereira yellow card? Cleanest challenge you'll ever see and he got a yellow for it. Even worse of a decision than the Mainoo yellow on Sunday. The refereeing standards in this country are in the gutter.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Anyone see that Ricardo Pereira yellow card? Cleanest challenge you'll ever see and he got a yellow for it. Even worse of a decision than the Mainoo yellow on Sunday. The refereeing standards in this country are in the gutter.
Yes I saw it. What a terrible call by Pawson !!

whitbyviking

All three relegated teams managed to retain Premier League quality players & that really does make a difference. Clubs have to make it happen in that first season as the degree of difficulty increases the longer you are there.
I'm happy that Leicester have regrouped & look to return to the Premier. TV coverage for the Champ is terrible !!
The ifollow coverage is actually decent, able to watch the 3pm Saturday kick offs and midweeks for your club. Reasonably cost effective too.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Leeds really not at it so far.

Easily the worst they've played this season, Leicester look good though.

I've no doubts these 2 would offer way more in the prem than shite like Sheffield and burnley

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
We had Kavanagh on Saturday he was shite as well bottled sending a Boro defender off first half for 2 identical challenges

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
I'm not sure why but it seem to be getting progressively worse. I have no clue as to what the solution is as VAR isn't the answer as it's manned by the same sub-standard refs.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

I'm not sure why but it seem to be getting progressively worse. I have no clue as to what the solution is as VAR isn't the answer as it's manned by the same sub-standard refs.
My thoughts are - however much VAR costs, scrap it, and use the money you'd ordinarily spend on VAR to increase the wages of refs. Higher salaries will be more of an incentive for people to become a ref.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
My thoughts are - however much VAR costs, scrap it, and use the money you'd ordinarily spend on VAR to increase the wages of refs. Higher salaries will be more of an incentive for people to become a ref.
I agree but there is absolutely no way that they abandon VAR

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Leicester deserve to be beaten. Only have them selves to blame. Missed some easy chances in the 2nd half. Should have been 3 up.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Wasn't it faes who scored 2 own goals against Liverpool.

I seem to remember a game where he was very bad.