Championship 2023/24 | Ipswich promoted!

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Despite conceding a million goals so far, Southampton achieve promotion comfortably, quote me on that come the end of the season.
What makes you think this? I see no suggestion whatsoever they will go up 'comfortably'.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
That has disaster written all over it !!
Depends. He did get Derby to the play off final and given they're signing half the Man. City youth team it could be a decent fit.

He certainly isn't getting another premier league job anytime soon.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Depends. He did get Derby to the play off final and given they're signing half the Man. City youth team it could be a decent fit.

He certainly isn't getting another premier league job anytime soon.
I agree..
Southampton is a tough gig though because they are expected to finish top four as a minimum. If Chelsea loan him some young stars in January then maybe he could make the playoffs.

Plastic Evra

I'd expect Leicester is the team that is actually likely to take the lift back up right away.

Last edited:

MileStolar

I should probably pick a championship team to watch and root for to decontaminate myself from post Fergie depression... Ipswich would be a good choice with our McKenna going for a back to back express promotion all the way to PL.

marktan

Saw a few people on Reddit say Southampton are underperforming relative to their quality.. but looking at their first XI where is the quality? A bunch of no names, they've sold £200m worth of players and signed almost no one. You can't just expect to rock back into the PL with your backup players.

Look at Leceister.. they have Dewsbury-Hall, Winks and Ndidi in midfield, Justin and Perriera at fullback.. all easily mid premier League quality. No idea if their two new wide players are good but they've at least signed some players.. not like Southampton and just that one lad from Sunderland who would be good if he wasn't crocked

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Our last 4 league games have seen us produce a relatively poor performance, an excellent performance, an absolutely terrible performance, and then an excellent performance again.

With our very young team, one of the 2-3 youngest in the Championship, I would expect a lot of inconsistency this season.

Watching our very talented youngsters play in the cup games is usually a big highlight.

amelia

Supports
Real Madrid
You are providing amazing information also you can view FIFA information

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Saw a few people on Reddit say Southampton are underperforming relative to their quality.. but looking at their first XI where is the quality? A bunch of no names, they've sold £200m worth of players and signed almost no one. You can't just expect to rock back into the PL with your backup players.

Look at Leceister.. they have Dewsbury-Hall, Winks and Ndidi in midfield, Justin and Perriera at fullback.. all easily mid premier League quality. No idea if their two new wide players are good but they've at least signed some players.. not like Southampton and just that one lad from Sunderland who would be good if he wasn't crocked
Walker Peters and Sulemana are comparable to the Leicester players. Then the likes of Alcaraz, Adams, the 2 Armstrongs and Fraser are better than most in the division would have. Even Bednerak, Holgate and Mccarthy have been Premier League players for years.

They easily have more quality than at least 20 of the other teams, their problem so far is the manager not getting the best out of the team. They lost at home to Ipswich tonight with 6 of their starters having played Premier League football, while Ipswich only had Brandon Williams who has played in the Premier League before.

marktan

Walker Peters and Sulemana are comparable to the Leicester players. Then the likes of Alcaraz, Adams, the 2 Armstrongs and Fraser are better than most in the division would have. Even Bednerak, Holgate and Mccarthy have been Premier League players for years.

They easily have more quality than at least 20 of the other teams, their problem so far is the manager not getting the best out of the team. They lost at home to Ipswich tonight with 6 of their starters having played Premier League football, while Ipswich only had Brandon Williams who has played in the Premier League before.
Walker Peters is good and I like Che Adams too. Other than that though looking at the starting lineup today, there's not much quality. Fraser has been not very good for a while now and most of the rest that started I haven't even heard of. The ones I listed for Leceister all started the last game.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
While there’s the regional rivalry which has intensified as our clubs have spent a prolonged period in the same division as each other, I wouldn’t mind if Preston got promoted.

I think they haven’t been in the top flight since the 60s, while they’ve seen all of their regional rivals notably Blackpool spend time in the Premier League just in the 2010-2019 decade. So there would be a novelty to it.

But it’s still early days.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Anyone got an opinion on Jack Clarke?

Seems to have become a bit of a talisman for Sunderland and is starting to deliver on his early potential, joint top scorer in the league albeit early days. I have to admit, having watched tons of him for Spurs U21s, I didn't see it coming. He was almost always the weakest performer in that team and his previous loans were absolute duds. Spurs sold him for a nominal fee but with a lot of potential add-ons but at this rate they may regret it. I'll whisper it quietly but he's really starting to remind me of Grealish when he was in the Championship with Villa. I don't think Sunderland will be able to keep him beyond this season unless they go up.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
You know you're in trouble when you're losing at home to Southampton in their current form.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
I’m hoping that we can continue our current form under Maresca and Leicester get out of this division sharpish.

I know it’s early days and the opposition is inferior, however we look far better playing the Maresca box midfield tactics. With the full back stepping into Midfield, we are converting to a three at the back, thus adding the extra body and .

This has meant we’ve played Doyle as a left Full back, who is naturally a centre back, allowing him to tuck inside.

The addition of Winks has been a master stroke as he can comfortably receive the ball and is agile, unlike NDidi, Tielemans and Mendy last season. This season will also allow Dewsbury-Hall to develop as well.

The wide players look very capable early on, however it’s Kasey McAteer that has caught the eye. The man has workrate to burn but is scoring goals as well. Mavadidi needs to sort his decision making out in the final third but he’ll terrify people at Championship level. I guess he’s ex Arsenal

Harmensen looks a very capable goalkeeper, almost Ederson like. The fact that last seasons goalkeepers (Ward and Iversen) are now #3 and #4, tells a massive story in itself.

Akgun from Galatasaray seems to be the Maddison replacement, as he’s quite technical, however hasn’t quite got going yet.

Fatawu though will be a player and worth watching if you get a chance. Quick, explode and skills to match.

Vardy is still scoring too but will generally switch out with Iheanacho, as no way he plays a 46 game season.

Then you think we’ve still got Daka who’s not playing as the next fixture triggers an additional multi million pound payment and Harry Souttar who isn’t fancied.

Ricardo and Justin are fully capable Premier League fullbacks. You could have argued pre injury when Leicester were pushing top 4 that both were amongst the best fullbacks in the league.

Rodgers and his Gucci belt borefest tactics got us relegated and I’m hoping this is a one season out and we’re back in the limelight again next season.

Maresca has actually made Vestergaard and Ndidi look like football players again. I mean Ndidi looked like Kaka on Saturday (maybe more to do with the quality of opposition though).

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs

Seems to have become a bit of a talisman for Sunderland and is starting to deliver on his early potential, joint top scorer in the league albeit early days. I have to admit, having watched tons of him for Spurs U21s, I didn't see it coming. He was almost always the weakest performer in that team and his previous loans were absolute duds. Spurs sold him for a nominal fee but with a lot of potential add-ons but at this rate they may regret it. I'll whisper it quietly but he's really starting to remind me of Grealish when he was in the Championship with Villa. I don't think Sunderland will be able to keep him beyond this season unless they go up.
Two more goals for Clarke last night, has 7 in 9 now.

Idxomer

Watched a lot of Sunderland last season, he can dribble, cross and has a decent shot. He's a great player for the championship. His decision-making was very frustrating though and would need to improve it a lot to make it in the PL.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Watched a lot of Sunderland last season, he can dribble, cross and has a decent shot. He's a great player for the championship. His decision-making was very frustrating though and would need to improve it a lot to make it in the PL.
I agree but I think his decision making has improved this season. He looks like a quality player who will only get better !!

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Hey @Cascarino what do you think of Humphreys so far? I see he scored a late winner for you last night :D

IRN-BRUno

The dive from Bamford to get Begovic sent off last night is embarrassing, deserves the suspension for that himself.

Member 128195

What position is he currently playing for Sunderland? I seen he was playing wing back at times last season, guessing he's pushed further forward now?

(Doesn't let me post due to your tweet so had to delete it)
Sheffield Wednesday are the architects of their own problems. Darren Moore did a fantastic job for them last season, especially turning over the 4 goal deficit in the playoffs. Not offering him a new contract has cost them.

Rumour has it that Nathan Jones may replace Moore. Sat at the root of the Championship table I doubt they have many options. Maybe a bit of Mad Nath could work some wonders. Will be a very difficult job for whoever takes over.

What has happened to Watford this season? Pleased to see Boro starting to climb the table after a very bad start.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Funny going back a page in this thread and seeing the comments on Russel Martin and how he seems clueless.

The last two games shows what a good manager he actually is, the possession first/play out from the back at all costs style has changed to a more pragmatic risk aversion longer style from the back.
He has adapted his tactics on the ball and certainly it showed against Stoke the other night.

They now look a more resolute team and an expected win against Rotherham will put them back in the group at the top.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Funny going back a page in this thread and seeing the comments on Russel Martin and how he seems clueless.

The last two games shows what a good manager he actually is, the possession first/play out from the back at all costs style has changed to a more pragmatic risk aversion longer style from the back.
He has adapted his tactics on the ball and certainly it showed against Stoke the other night.

They now look a more resolute team and an expected win against Rotherham will put them back in the group at the top.
Russell Martin was his own worst enemy because of his post match comments. Came across as quite arrogant and a bit of a twat.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Russell Martin was his own worst enemy because of his post match comments. Came across as quite arrogant and a bit of a twat.
He is arrogant for sure, but I do like him as a manager and it does seem as if he is now willing to adapt his principles to try and win games.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
He is arrogant for sure, but I do like him as a manager and it does seem as if he is now willing to adapt his principles to try and win games.
It's great to have a certain style & desire of how to play the game but I do feel that any manager should do it in stages as players are added.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
What makes you think this? I see no suggestion whatsoever they will go up 'comfortably'.
I did a thread on him a couple years ago. He’s a very talented manager, with a couple weaknesses. In the summer I felt that he’d start slowly, and hit form towards Christmas. The other part of the equation is that Leicester aside, I don’t rate the other challengers that highly. I’d be very surprised if they don’t finish in the automatic spots, even with their really crap start.

Hey @Cascarino what do you think of Humphreys so far? I see he scored a late winner for you last night :D
He actually had a really dodgy start to the game playing on the left and getting caught out (not really his fault), but after Cabango’s injury he was excellent. He reminds me of Guehi, not really so much in play style but in that he’s looked a little shaky, but I think he has really good qualities. Guehi was a bit crap for a good 10ish games, but you knew when it clicked there was a good chance he was going to be above the swans level (comfortably so, and he was playing in a better defensive side). Out of interest how well regarded is Humphreys by the Chelsea set up?

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Sunderland v Middlesbrough is an entertaining game so far, lots of action.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
A 4-0 away win is always welcome, especially after a run of 4 consecutive league defeats.

During all the games that we've won this season, we've been excellent, while during all of the games that we've lost, we've been absolutely hopeless barring the home defeat against Hull when we were unlucky.

I do worry about our lack of ability to win games when not playing well, the lack of mental strength and resilience, fact that we can too open etc.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Wayne Rooney going to Birmingham. :lol: :lol:

Just sacked John Eustace even though they've won their last two home games convincingly and are in the play offs.

Never change Blues. :D

Member 128195

Wayne Rooney going to Birmingham. :lol: :lol:

Just sacked John Eustace even though they've won their last two home games convincingly and are in the play offs.

Never change Blues. :D
Why did they sack him? I thought they were doing well this season.