Championship: United Women vs Spurs | United win 4-1

Drawfull

That number 2 of Spurs, Leon I think they said her name was she looks handy. Twice she has ripped us open once with a run and now that pass. Looks strong and fast.
Addison too.

Good game that, 2 points off top.

Was surprised the commentators were talking about us going clean sheet through the season and already talking as though we're promoted.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee

I think we sold more tickets than that - West Stand wasn't that much busier than the other games but was sold out. Which might mean nothing much (maybe the kids will be going out to fireworks parties tonight instead!), or it might be that the idea of a bigger crowd actually puts off some of the family groups. A question for us as we grow perhaps. But still, a good crowd again and one that really does enjoy the team.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Interesting match to watch. I'd read Casey Stoney's program notes saying that she was concerned that we're trying to "force things" and getting sloppy in possession and that we had to learn that we don't have to win every game in the first ten minutes - probably inevitable that Lauren scored after ten minutes. We did get sloppy at times though especially when we went 4-0 up. :smirk:

It's always intriguing to see a young player in a new position and Lauren James was, more or less, our centre forward for most of the game. It's a bit of a gamble, because with her skills you want her in the goalscoring areas, yet you also want her to see a lot of the ball and have some time on the ball - it worked today, and it may be that it took the pressure off Jess Sigsworth as well. Lauren as #9 reminded me a bit of watching Wayne Rooney in that role - forever on the verge of having a meltdown with the opposition centre-back, and much happier with a ball to feet than something bobbling around in the air. Good for her to get the experience of it though and nice if it gives us another option - even if her passing and dribbling skills seem to suggest she's a #8 or a #10, we shall see.

And yes, it was Spurs. :devil:

King_Cantona07

Can we start the number 9 siggs for men’s 11? She looks more good striker now than lukaku. Scores chances too

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Good to see some of the press are concerned that United are taking women's football too seriously :lol:

I do understand it of course, and sympathise with some of the teams (like Villa) who've caught us on one of our hot days. This season is very much about United doing what suits United - and keeping the pressure off the players, manager and structure. The criticism's ironic given the flak City got for jumping straight into the top division. I'm pretty sure there was no way we could please everybody.

As for, "On this performance, United will walk the league. The best the rest can hope for the second promotion spot." Well yes, if we win every game 4-1 we will walk the league - that's self-evident, but anyone getting into those promotion spots will have to show that they've got the plans, budget and structure to take up one of those fulltime pro slots in WSL1 next year, else they won't be promoted. So, it doesn't feel that outrageous , but then I see it from the United self-interest side of the fence.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Good to see some of the press are concerned that United are taking women's football too seriously :lol:

I do understand it of course, and sympathise with some of the teams (like Villa) who've caught us on one of our hot days. This season is very much about United doing what suits United - and keeping the pressure off the players, manager and structure. The criticism's ironic given the flak City got for jumping straight into the top division. I'm pretty sure there was no way we could please everybody.

As for, "On this performance, United will walk the league. The best the rest can hope for the second promotion spot." Well yes, if we win every game 4-1 we will walk the league - that's self-evident, but anyone getting into those promotion spots will have to show that they've got the plans, budget and structure to take up one of those fulltime pro slots in WSL1 next year, else they won't be promoted. So, it doesn't feel that outrageous , but then I see it from the United self-interest side of the fence.
It is great to see the reports, but do the M.E.N. have a report? I have looked and cannot see anything. I hope they have as it would not look too good if they haven't.

redshaw

The players and manager are doing great, a credit to the club.

RedPamie

I don't know what they want? City and West Ham getting criticism also. Some wanted United to start at the bottom. And I'm sure they would find what to moan regardless of where we started.

FA getting criticized a lot but I found it a bit baffled, FAWC teams would want to get promotion and to get it not only they have to win matches to be top two spots but also become full time. Maybe because there is no money in FAWC? But Spurs, Crystal Palace and Leicester their parent clubs have money why don't they become full time? Or at least partly with some player train FT?

United being serious and embrace the women's team into the club is a bad thing now? Playground bully? :lol:
Or maybe they are just a tiny bit hurt, the fav London team lost badly? :devil: