Jussie Smollett | found guilty of false reporting

Fergies Gum

This stinks to high heaven. The state attorneys office has some explaining to do.

DavidDeSchmikes

The case is sealed from public record
He had 16 charges against him
What about the two brothers that were involved?

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Still. Shows up a lot of caftards who jumped the gun in that other thread...

binary bot
The amount of secrecy in public office in 2019 is staggering

Drainy

Summary of why they were dropped? My outrage is about spent today so can't be arsed to read the reports.
“After reviewing all of the facts and circumstances of the case, including Mr. Smollett’s volunteer service in the community and agreement to forfeit his bond to the city of Chicago, we believe this outcome is a just disposition and appropriate resolution to this case,” the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office said in a statement.

In an interview later, Joe Magats, the prosecutor who made the decision, said that there had been no problems with the evidence or the police investigation into Mr. Smollett. Mr. Magats said he dropped the charges after Mr. Smollett agreed to the community service and to give up the $10,000 he paid for his release, money that would have been returned to him if he had made all his court appearances. He also noted that Mr. Smollett had no previous criminal record and said that the dropping of the charges “didn’t exonerate him.”

“We work to prioritize violent crime and the drivers of violent crime,” Mr. Magats said. “I don’t see Jussie Smollett as a threat to public safety.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/26/arts/television/jussie-smollett-charges-dropped.html

afrocentricity

Hardly. The police superintendent basically calls it bullshit
So it's the right thing to do then? Form an opinion when things are still being investigated? What stage are we at now? Double down?

Just own it. I would... In fact I often do.

mu4c_20le

Very unusual case. I've never such a high publicity case with the superintendent basically vilifying him in the press while the investigation was ongoing. Now they are left with egg on their face. The entire thing was a farce and the Chicago PD handled it poorly.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Hardly. The police superintendent basically calls it bullshit
It's not his place, though, right? Police are not the court/the persecution.

Although I too would love to know why it has been dropped. It's strange.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Also, can't he sue the people who wrote him off from Empire now?

Drainy

Very unusual case. I've never such a high publicity case with the superintendent basically vilifying him in the press while the investigation was ongoing. Now they are left with egg on their face. The entire thing was a farce and the Chicago PD handled it poorly.
well yeah - it's a serious risk to a fair trial to have international press being told the person is guilty before a trial.

Once again America's messed up system rears it's head. Why politicise a supposedly neutral position in the government..

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
So it's the right thing to do then? Form an opinion when things are still being investigated? What stage are we at now? Double down?

Just own it. I would... In fact I often do.
Have you read the post above this one?

Drainy

I can smell a lawsuit coming.
seems like it wouldn't be a sensible thing to do if the police's account was remotely accurate.

1st amendment makes defamation difficult in the US- basically would have to prove the account false and prove malicious intent, plus it would be massively embarrassing to have the facts of the case brought up in front of court with the world watching on cheering or jeering each side..

afrocentricity

Have you read the post above this one?
The point I made in the original thread, was that people should wait for the facts (and we're' still waiting) before forming a hard opinion and arguing it. I'm reiterating it....

Edit:
I've seen the post now, dunno what to make of it.

Last edited:

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Also, can't he sue the people who wrote him off from Empire now?
Why?

That state's attorney notice above basically says the evidence was good, but that given that he has no criminal record, and forked 10k to the city of Chicago, they would rather spend their (limited) resources elsewhere, namely "violent crime".

In no way it regards him as innocent, I'd actually argue the opposite.

ivaldo

The point I made in the original thread, was that people should wait for the facts (and we're' still waiting) before forming a hard opinion and arguing it. I'm reiterating it....
Hardly shows them up, does it? He's accepted a 10k fine and community service, the superintendent calls it an injustice, and the prosecutor has stated there was absolutely no issue with the evidence provided and it in no way exonerates him.

afrocentricity

Hardly shows them up, does it? He's accepted a 10k fine and community service, the superintendent calls it an injustice, and the prosecutor has stated there was absolutely no issue with the evidence provided and it in no way exonerates him.
But yet here we are. I saw that post, personally I'm none the wiser.... What can I say? It's fishy as feck...

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Why?

That state's attorney notice above basically says the evidence was good, but that given that he has no criminal record, and forked 10k to the city of Chicago, they would rather spend their (limited) resources elsewhere, namely "violent crime".

In no way it regards him as innocent, I'd actually argue the opposite.
SO they cleared him of the charges but haven't exonerated him.

ivaldo

But yet here we are. I saw that post, personally I'm none the wiser.... What can I say? It's fishy as feck...
We are here. Conjecture happens on an internet forum, and on the basis of the information we have, the opinion of the people investigating him, the prosecutor for this case, and the acceptance of the fine and community service by the accused, I would say those people are fairly safe in their assumption.

hobbers

He's obviously guilty as feck of all charges but the PD totally fecked it all up.

Firstly by leaking stuff to the press. Then going out in front of the media and affirming Smollett was guilty and what his motives were, seemingly without any statement of guilt from him.

I assumed when I first saw the police chief's press conference that Smollett had basically given himself up, but no. That was just moronic police letting their emotions prejudice the case. Now they obviously feel they have no choice but to offer some plea deal and hush it all up.

bpet15

For those of you not familiar with the US - Cook County is basically the most corrupt county in the entire country. It is well known, so any weird dealings that go on there, shouldn't really surprise anyone.

I once worked for a company based in Cook County. Our contracts were at least 10 pages long and contained all kinds of legalese - most of my customers were willing to look past most things in the contract except one item. That item was that any dispute would be handled or tried in Cook County. This stipulation was an absolute no go for 99.9% of my customers. They would give up favorable payment terms just to get the Cook County part out of the contract.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
That superintendent reminds of The Wire, I really want to watch again.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
The prosecutor who was texting jussie’s family member is involved in dropping all the charges but looks like she opened a can of worms and her office may be investigated by FBI because some corruption allegations.

ChaddyP

Back in the day only straight white men could use money and power to avoid the long arm of the law. Now even black gay men can use their influence and wealth to get out of indictments. #progress

ivaldo

Back in the day only straight white men could use money and power to avoid the long arm of the law. Now even black gay men can use their influence and wealth to get out of indictments. #progress
:lol: