Chasing the lot and ending up with nothing

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You just can’t do it with 1 team and no substitutes that you can rely upon.

Ole should have been smarter but pride got in his way.

arnie_ni

Our squad is dreadful. Some of us have been saying it for weeks in the sancho and grealish transfer threads when posters ask "how can you fit them all in"

We have a good first 11 but that doesnt win trophies

Anustart89

What is the point of this thread?
The point is maybe that Ole's squad management is poor and that he should've fecked the FA cup off instead of giving Bruno 90 minutes and other starters lots of minutes. At least if he has the long-term health of the club in mind, and not short-term success.

Adam-Utd

What is the point of this thread?
What does this thread even mean
Didn’t trust the squad, over played the first team and had no chance to recover with so many matches coming thick and fast.

It’s crunch time and we’re paying for it now. Rashford, Matic, Pogba, Fernandes all looked dead on their feet. Zero intensity.

We should have conceded the Chelsea match and accepted it was just too much to soon. Instead now we’re going to end up with no FA cup and no top 4.

I just hope the team have enough time to recover before the EL starts, and hope our form returns.

Lemansky

It's not hard to figure out, he's clearly talking about man management, and resting players to avoid fatigue. Should have played the 2nd string against Chelsea on Sunday.
Yeah. And half the lot in here, pundits and journos would have his head on a plate because of it. A no win situation for Ole. The Chelsea game was ruined by personal mistakes and could have fared better if not.

baskinginthesun

Didn’t trust the squad, over played the first team and had no chance to recover with so many matches coming thick and fast.

It’s crunch time and we’re paying for it now. Rashford, Matic, Pogba, Fernandes all looked dead on their feet. Zero intensity.

We should have conceded the Chelsea match and accepted it was just too much to soon. Instead now we’re going to end up with no FA cup and no top 4.

I just hope the team have enough time to recover before the EL starts, and hope our form returns.
We're 3rd and one game left to play against the team that needs to beat us now.

Adam-Utd

We're 3rd and one game left to play against the team that needs to beat us now.
And they’re going to walk all over us. Do you seriously think we will beat Leicester in this form? We can’t even get over the line at home to West Ham!

we will end up having to chase the game and vardy will kill us on the counter mark my words.

baskinginthesun

And they’re going to walk all over us. Do you seriously think we will beat Leicester in this form? We can’t even get over the line at home to West Ham!

we will end up having to chase the game and vardy will kill us on the counter mark my words.
We don't need to beat them. Leicester aren't exactly playing well and getting the results either. They've been pretty shocking since the restart.

DarkXaero

Yeah. And half the lot in here, pundits and journos would have his head on a plate because of it. A no win situation for Ole. The Chelsea game was ruined by personal mistakes and could have fared better if not.
I think the reasonable fans would understand. Who cares about the pundits, and journos? And sure, the individual errors were unfortunate, but the point remains that playing our main guys in that game meant that we'd be knackered for the remaining two PL fixtures. And we saw that today, and I think it cost us two points. The rest of the damage remains to be seen.

norm87cro

Managers make decisions and its theirs to get it wright or get bitten in the ass. We are not playing well at this point but if we were playing well and two points behind Leicester this place would be buzzing. Ole decided to go with the same 13 to 14 players and the fact is that we are a point ahead and Leicester must beat us. If that happens then go to town with this thread.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
It’s currently looking like we will be third heading into the final day. Did anyone predict we would be in a better position coming out of lockdown going into the final day? Most of us thought we would do well just to have a must win game to snatch fourth. Instead we are certainly better off than that at the very least.

Everyone, including the players and staff, just need to take a deep breath and relax. Just go for it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

You don’t just concede FA Cup semi-finals. Look at the teams Chelsea, Arsenal and City all picked. Why should we be the only team to give up before a ball was kicked?

Adam-Utd

You don’t just concede FA Cup semi-finals. Look at the teams Chelsea, Arsenal and City all picked. Why should we be the only team to give up before a ball was kicked?
Because you could see this coming a mile off.

The Southampton game took a lot out of us, then against Palace we looked well off the pace but just crept over the line with 2 moments of quality.

We then had the FA cup 2 DAYS later, how can anybody expect the same set of players to play that against a good Chelsea side at full intensity? It was never going to happen and that was why I made the other thread about rotation. It's just not possible to play 4 top level matches in 8 days and expect to keep intensity and speed in your play.

Yes it's frustrating and we all wanted to win the FA cup if possible, but our hand we got dealt was well out of order and we had to accept it was 1 step too far.

Instead now we've had a laboured performance against West ham, and only 3 days to recover again, while our opponents have a whole week to rest.

Nothing will change, it'll be a tired performance against Leicester. Let's hope lady luck is on our side!

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

We don't need to beat Leicester. Draw is more than enough to secure us top 4 against Leicester and we probably can still make it top 3 with just a draw.

Tyrion

I think he means we should have just played the 2nd team against Chelsea and focused on the PL.

If that is it, I fully agree.
I think that's it as well but we did rest a few against Chelsea (iirc 5) and the few who were rested (Pogba, Martial, Greenwood, Mensah) didn't seem to play much better today.

I've been arguing with some other posters here about how much credit/faith OGS should get (they typically think he deserves more than I do) but I don't agree with this criticism. I've seen some (namely the idiots on ESPN) argue that we should have played the first team against Chelsea to avoid losing momentum so you could argue it either way. Smacks of 20/20 hindsight to me.

Adam-Utd

Draw is more than enough to secure us top 4 against Leicester and we probably can still make it top 3 with just a draw.
I hope to god we can, but If we play with that sort of energy and enthusiasm we will get tanked. They need to be much more up for it than that tonight!

Tyrion

Imo, if he had picked a reserve 11 and the results had been the same (loss and draw), people would be criticizing him for costing us momentum by giving up a game.

Lemansky

Because you could see this coming a mile off.

The Southampton game took a lot out of us, then against Palace we looked well off the pace but just crept over the line with 2 moments of quality.

We then had the FA cup 2 DAYS later, how can anybody expect the same set of players to play that against a good Chelsea side at full intensity? It was never going to happen and that was why I made the other thread about rotation. It's just not possible to play 4 top level matches in 8 days and expect to keep intensity and speed in your play.

Yes it's frustrating and we all wanted to win the FA cup if possible, but our hand we got dealt was well out of order and we had to accept it was 1 step too far.

Instead now we've had a laboured performance against West ham, and only 3 days to recover again, while our opponents have a whole week to rest.

Nothing will change, it'll be a tired performance against Leicester. Let's hope lady luck is on our side!
You should use your powers to look into the future better than posting on a forum. Loads of money to be made by a special talent like that. Especially when you can see these things miles away...

These threads are so easy to make when the cards is dealt and the you have all the answers.

Adam-Utd

You should use your powers to look into the future better than posting on a forum. Loads of money to be made by a special talent like that. Especially when you can see these things miles away...

These threads are so easy to make when the cards is dealt and the you have all the answers.
Easy to make excuses also, and I actually made a similar thread before the Chelsea game. Didn't take a genius to see we were the walking dead before the fa cup!

RUCK4444

Exactly this. Ole would have been completely slammed if we had thrown that game and played a 2nd string side. Like you say as well - why should we be the only team to throw a semi final?

AneRu

What you don't get and what Ole clearly didn't is that we were never going to get it all without rotation. Even if we had won against Chelsea and now in the final missing out on top 4 would still cost the club and the team more.