Cheap Backup Strikers

Adamsk7

Ighalo is perfect. If Martial was injured we’d likely play Rashford or Greenwood there anyway if Sancho was at the club so we need a good no.9 who’s happy to be an off the bench option and I don’t think we’ll find any better than what we have! He’s a Utd fan, highly motivated to be here and is a great character to have around the dressing room.

Red Stone

I think we should be looking at a strong, technically sound striker that can play with his back to goal and bring our wide forwards into play, as well as win headers in the box. Martial has done well linking up our forward line recently, but he's better suited to the wide role where he can run at defenders more and exploit the space behind the full backs. Greenwood even more so, since he's (at the moment, anyway) poorer in the air, has worse movement in the tight spaces a striker often has to operate in and more deadly from those mid-range distances around the corner of the box that the likes of Robben and Ronaldo have scored countless screamers from. I think he'll make the most of his career if he focuses on perfecting the goalscoring RW role. We saw from his cross to Bruno that he can create goals from wide positions with ease too, so he'll bring both goals and assists playing as wide forward. Rashford is the same. Struggles centrally against organized defences, but thrives when he can use his pace and footwork out wide.

We don't necessarily need a huge goal threat like Haaland or Lewandowski. The goals will be pouring in from Martial, Rashford and Greenwood anyway. We need a Benzema/Firmino type who is enough of a goal threat that the opposition can't completely take their eyes off him, but also knows how to open up opportunites for the more lethal team mates next to him to take the glory. I'm on record here saying I think Havertz could be that guy for us even if most see him as an attacking midfielder, as he's creative, very physical on the ball, a good finisher and tremendous in the air, but he would not be cheap or a backup. If we're going cheap there's only so much to choose from. You're either getting a pound shop version of Benzema or a good but aging striker like Cavani. I honestly don't think there's any need to look for a player who will mostl likely primarily be resigned to a bench role, now that our current crop of forwards are performing so well and we look to be spending the war chest on Sancho this summer. Ighalo's happy enough to just be here, so he won't complain, and has done his job very well when called upon thus far. If it's possible to make it permanent I would definitely be looking into that if I was whoever makes those decisions, and then set our sights for a first choice forward instead when the money is available.

beingshe7don

Ighalo seems to be perfect at the moment because he's content with being on the bench and coming on when called upon similar to what Ole was under SAF. Martial has hit a purple patch at the moment. We basically need a younger version of Ighalo. These days a lot of the strikers are dribblers and people who try to beat the offside trap and run into spaces rather than the target man sorts who will hold the ball up and bring the wingers or full backs into play. And that was perhaps the reason why we didn't persist with the Werner deal. Haaland would have been perfect. Maybe next summer, Haaland will be our priority.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
So... I heard a nasty rumour that we are interested in Alexander Sorloth (palace striker on loan in Turkey). The one who couldn’t hit a barn door in England but posting good numbers so far in Turkey.

Heard second hand so don’t know source

Hanky panky

We don't need any backup striker. We already have Martial, Greenwood, Rashford and Ighalo. 3/4 of them are potential 20 league goal scorers...

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
If Danny Ings can avoid injuries, I’d be totally okay to replace Ighalo with Ings as a backup striker

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Doubt he’d be cheap though. They’d demand at least 30-40 million
I actually did some quick research on it and his current value is approximately £20m.. not sure what his contract situation is like atm?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I actually did some quick research on it and his current value is approximately £20m.. not sure what his contract situation is like atm?
They signed him for £20 million 12 months ago. His value has definitely increased since then.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
They signed him for £20 million 12 months ago. His value has definitely increased since then.
Ah right I forgot. Looks like he’ll be unattainable for next year or so unless we’re willing to pay a substantial amount.

I was more in favour of a bargain deal if his contract was near the end or so.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Shon Weissman would be mint. Pretty sure it wouldn't be an expensive transfer, which means low risk.