Chelsea 2020/21 - General discussion

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Ok interesting - if that's how you setup for the coming season I think you'll be a real force and close to the top. I feel like Kepa is now the biggest issue for you but otherwise you've got amazing depth, good players everywhere although will be interesting to see how quickly Havertz, Werner, Ziyech etc acclimatise.

For United, I'm just sick of us persisting with the double pivot, or some variation of it, because we simply don't have a DM dynamic enough to sit on his own. McT might be able to learn the role and Fred is too erratic and more of box to box type. Matic does the job well, although you had him in his prime years, when we're at home and have a lot of possession but his fitness always seems a bit suspect and him, along with Maguire, Lindelöf & DDG might well be the slowest, least dynamic core to any defence in the league. Shaping up to be a pretty awesome season this year with City's project (ie buy another £200m worth of players), Liverpool being so good, you guys spending heavily, United should be much better, Arsenal and Spurs also look a lot more settled now we might actually have a tighter title race/some big upsets.
Lampard also want to work out some other formation too by changing personals I assume.Last season he even told I want my players should be comfortable two or three formations to create unpredictability.

This season he has good squad to tweak a lot to create a better team I assume.will be interesting to see how he manage the squad though.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I assume you're refering to Kepa.
If Chelsea signed Oblak I would drop Kepa like a Covid 19 infected hot potato. The chances of Oblak coming are very remote so we have to look at alternatives and Mendy seems to be the preferred option. The problem is Rennes are pushing the price higher and higher. Chelsea had an offer of £20m refused and Rennes want £40m. That's a colossal sum for a mid ranking keeper and I ask myself will the club keep throwing huge sums of money at dodgy keepers?

It was only a niggle.
For me this is harsh on Mendy. Also should be noted that Rennes are reportedly asking for €40m (£35.7m) as opposed to £40m. It doesn't seem unfeasible that we could reach a deal in the range of £25-27m.

There's also this tidbit:

Obviously I'd not expect Mendy to turn into Cech, but the blueprint is there. Mendy is also one of the best GK in Europe at cross collection / command of the area, which is hugely lacking at Chelsea at the moment between Kepa and Caballero.

I also think there's a good chance that there may be a switch to French as the language in the defense for next season - hopefully Chilwell can study up because he's the only one in our prospective back 5 who isn't fluent (at least as far as I know; perhaps he is and this just isn't public knowledge). Azpilicueta, Zouma, Silva, and Kante all speak French, so that may be important in terms of coordinating the defence and likely explains why we're looking at the likes of Mendy / Maignan / Areola.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
For me this is harsh on Mendy. Also should be noted that Rennes are reportedly asking for €40m (£35.7m) as opposed to £40m. It doesn't seem unfeasible that we could reach a deal in the range of £25-27m.

There's also this tidbit:

Obviously I'd not expect Mendy to turn into Cech, but the blueprint is there. Mendy is also one of the best GK in Europe at cross collection / command of the area, which is hugely lacking at Chelsea at the moment between Kepa and Caballero.

I also think there's a good chance that there may be a switch to French as the language in the defense for next season - hopefully Chilwell can study up because he's the only one in our prospective back 5 who isn't fluent (at least as far as I know; perhaps he is and this just isn't public knowledge). Azpilicueta, Zouma, Silva, and Kante all speak French, so that may be important in terms of coordinating the defence and likely explains why we're looking at the likes of Mendy / Maignan / Areola.
I'm warming to Mendy.
He appears to be OK but may have a potential problem with playing out with his feet.

The defence was also at fault last season so I'm hoping Silva brings a little composure to the back line. JT learnt from Desailly. Marcel did have perfect English though.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
I'm warming to Mendy.
He appears to be OK but may have a potential problem with playing out with his feet.

The defence was also at fault last season so I'm hoping Silva brings a little composure to the back line. JT learnt from Desailly. Marcel did have perfect English though.
Any body can be better than kepa at present form. So any one but kepa for most Chelsea fans.

Most of the time Christensen was overpowered in the air rudiger not strong enough after came from injury for whatever reason.Azpi too short to challenge any aerial threat.

Recent times Chelsea became team of dwarfs and cowards in defense including goal keeper. Terry, Cahill, Ivanovic were not only contributed in defensive stability but also always came up with goals from set pieces.

Physicality in our defence was main problem other than utter flop of a keeper.Only zouma is strong enough in our defensive line.Silva hopefully bring some steal in Chelsea s defensive organisation.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
25+ goal season I am expecting from Werner. Less than that I will say flop season from him.

Pulisic, havertz, ziyech, chilwell, James all are good crossers and have the ability to play good through balls and Werner will be at the receiving end of those passes.

Abraham done well and scored 15 goals for Chelsea last season so Werner should have 25+ goal season.Chelsea fans want to see German efficiency.

Last edited:

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Any body can be better than kepa at present form. So any one but kepa for most Chelsea fans.

Most of the time Christensen was overpowered in the air rudiger not strong enough after came from injury for whatever reason.Azpi too short to challenge any aerial threat.

Recent times Chelsea became team of dwarfs and cowards in defense including goal keeper. Terry, Cahill, Ivanovic were not only contributed in defensive stability but also always came up with goals from set pieces.

Physicality in our defence was main problem other than utter flop of a keeper.Only zouma is strong enough in our defensive line.Silva hopefully bring some steal in Chelsea s defensive organisation.
Do you remember Bob Iles?

We can't just buy anybody. We have to target a top quality keeper.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Law reporting that Harvetz was brought for £62m + £8m bonuses. Surely that is not right?

DRM

Now that's how you back your manager :lol:

Sweet mother of god

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Will take a lot to get so many new players to gel. I think they had a decent thing going with the young players coming through too. Lampard has a real job on. Plenty of exciting new talents though and great potential if it does click.

25+ goal season I am expecting from Werner. Less than that I will say flop season from him.

Pulisic, havertz, ziyech, chilwell, James all are good crossers and have the ability to play good through balls and Werner will be at the receiving end of those passes.

Abraham done well and scored 15 goals for Chelsea last season so Werner should have 25+ goal season.Chelsea fans want to see German efficiency.
Are you expecting 25 in the league alone?

Werner is the Chelsea signing I have a feeling might struggle the most in the first year. Expect him to bang them in for the first 10 games and have the media singing his praises and then hit a wall for a bit as teams stop giving him any space in behind. He'll have to adapt to playing as a lone striker that doesn't just play off the back shoulder, which should make him a better overall forward

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Are you expecting 25 in the league alone?

Werner is the Chelsea signing I have a feeling might struggle the most in the first year. Expect him to bang them in for the first 10 games and have the media singing his praises and then hit a wall for a bit as teams stop giving him any space in behind. He'll have to adapt to playing as a lone striker that doesn't just play off the back shoulder, which should make him a better overall forward
In a premier league alone I expect Werner to have 25+ goal season. Of course it's not easy but he should achieve that. He has good supporting players compared to last season strikers.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea is going to be an unhappy camp, with players fed up not getting enough games.

Fall out with Lampard?
Recent Chelsea and man utd fall from top was coming from this type of mentality. Players should have the competition to perform better.

If players didn't feel the competition they will eventually get the complacency. I would rather have fired up unhappy players who wait for chance to perform than over happy, complacent players in my squad.

LucasXXII

Do Chelsea actually have an outside shot at the PL title, right now, this season?

They have significantly strengthened the first eleven while already having great depth. To invest 223m euros in a single transfer window, with most of the incoming transfers being cut-price deals (lower fees than the market values indicate), is quite frankly insane!

I mean, how many seasons are people going to continue to predict Man City and Liverpool as the top two? What if both are hit by a wave of injuries, combined with the lack of investment in the first XI this summer... A bad start may just tip the balance, no?

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Do Chelsea actually have an outside shot at the PL title, right now, this season?

They have significantly strengthened the first eleven while already having great depth. To invest 223m euros in a single transfer window, with most of the incoming transfers being cut-price deals (lower fees than the market values indicate), is quite frankly insane!

I mean, how many seasons are people going to continue to predict Man City and Liverpool as the top two? What if both are hit by a wave of injuries, combined with the lack of investment in the first XI this summer... A bad start may just tip the balance, no?
Not without a keeper.

RashyForPM

Onana
Azpi Rudiger Silva Chilwell
Kovacic Kante
Ziyech Havertz Pulisic
Werner

These are all great players, many with world class potential. However, for this season itself, I do not feel threatened by Chelsea. As aforementioned, they may well dominate the league if these players develop well in the future, but none of these guys, even Kante who hasn’t shown it since 2017 are world class at the moment. Look at their competitors: we have Pogba and Bruno, City have KdB, Bernardo, Sterling and Aguero, Scousers have TAA, Robertson, VVD, Alisson, Salah and Mane, Arse have Auba, Leicester have Vardy and Spurs have Son and Kane.

What’s more, such an influx of new players will obviously need time to gel. I seriously doubt Chelsea’s credentials for this season, and think they will only finish 4th if we buy Sancho. Otherwise, 3rd.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
That's true, but there's still a month left and it's hard to believe that you wouldn't bring one in.
Both you and arsenal have back ups that could easily start in martinez and romero. Nothing flashy just two cheap solid keepers that we should at least look at. Anyone but kepa.

The Red Thinker

The front 4... in one year’s time will be as good as anything in world football. Ridiculous talent.

Let’s do apples to apples with ours (including Sancho)

LW - Rashford vs Pulisic (Rashford any day)

RW - Sancho vs Ziyech (Sancho any day)

AM - Bruno vs Havertz (Bruno now, but Havertz is an incredible talent and has the potential to be better than Bruno, plus he has like 6 years on Bruno)

ST - Martial vs Werner (Martial currently has it all, but his ceiling is not far away, Werner May have more in him)

The difference here is that all our players are PL proven. Sancho is the only one who have to adapt, if at all.

Add to that the super talent that is Greenwood and we have better odds.

That being said, football is a team game and we need a class CB to deal with their prowess.

BlackShark_80

Matt Law said they still want to add a new GK and a DM/CB before the transfer window shuts next month.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
The front 4... in one year’s time will be as good as anything in world football. Ridiculous talent.

Let’s do apples to apples with ours (including Sancho)

LW - Rashford vs Pulisic (Rashford any day)

RW - Sancho vs Ziyech (Sancho any day)

AM - Bruno vs Havertz (Bruno now, but Havertz is an incredible talent and has the potential to be better than Bruno, plus he has like 6 years on Bruno)

ST - Martial vs Werner (Martial currently has it all, but his ceiling is not far away, Werner May have more in him)

The difference here is that all our players are PL proven. Sancho is the only one who have to adapt, if at all.

Add to that the super talent that is Greenwood and we have better odds.

That being said, football is a team game and we need a class CB to deal with their prowess.
There's no point including a player who doesn't play for our team.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Matt Law said they still want to add a new GK and a DM/CB before the transfer window shuts next month.
Thatll be rice and a keeper then. Weve been linked with rice most the window. Remains to be seen if we can make it happen.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea

No chance of title challenge this season for two main reasons.

1. City and Liverpool have squads that are equally good but are settled in how they play and have managers who've been their for years.

2. There is no pre season this year, getting all these signings integrated in to a team without that will surely give us a very slow start to the season. First game is in 9 days and a lot of the squad will be total strangers and will never have played even a friendly together.

We also need another GK so Willy goes to third choice.

3rd has to be the goal this year.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Thatll be rice and a keeper then. Weve been linked with rice most the window. Remains to be seen if we can make it happen.
You have like a billion pounds in your transfer kitty and will make more from sales. If fat frank wants rice, Chelsea will get him.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Chelsea fans - I’m curious.

Where do you see your club finishing this season in the PL?

Are you guys assured enough to confidently expect a minimum top 3 finish?

Or do you guys think it’s too soon for all the new signings to settle in with the team? (This seems to be my opinion).

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Ziyech is still the one I expect to be their best signing :(

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Chelsea fans - I’m curious.

Where do you see your club finishing this season in the PL?

Are you guys assured enough to confidently expect a minimum top 3 finish?

Or do you guys think it’s too soon for all the new signings to settle in with the team? (This seems to be my opinion).
It depends on what the other day teams around us do but anything other than a marked improvement in points total would be a big disappointment. 80 points minimum.

Bringing in half a team will have some teething issues, even if they're upgrades.