Chelsea 2020/21 - General discussion

sillwuka

How long will it take this new side to gel? Does anyone think their attack will hit the ground running?

Pulisic, Werner, Ziyech supported by Havertz looks tasty if they click.

CM

Maybe. But isn't he injured constantly?

My point is, I think there is a distinct lack of top quality CB's in the league. People are underrating how big a difference Silva could make if he settles. He's instantly one of the best CB's in the league.

Keeper still a glaring hole, though. Getting anxious about that.
That may be true but whether he settles is still a big if. You're glossing over the fact that he's 36 years old, playing in a new team and a new league. A very physical league too - he could just as easily find himself getting roasted by some of the quicker opposition forwards.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

What's happening to Giroud? Asking as a Frenchie with euros coming up

Should be 3rd choice behind Werner and Tammy right? Might be very hard to get game time.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
That may be true but that whether he settles is still a big if. You're glossing over the fact that he's 36 years old, playing in a new team and a new league. A very physical league too - he could just as easily find himself getting roasted by some of the quicker opposition forwards.
True, it's a big gamble. But if we can finish top 4 with one of the worst defenses in the league last season and horrific, calamitous organization on set plays/corners I think adding Thiago Silva can only improve things.

The idea from Frank has to be to prevent him from getting exposed and isolated against players like Son/Rashford/Vardy etc who can roast him for pace.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
I just don’t really rate him, I think he struggles when he doesn’t have open space to play into and I think the pace of the Premier League will catch him out. Don’t think he’s as technically strong as the others and again that could catch him out.
The pace of the Premiere League will catch him out?
At this point I'm really not sure you know who Timo Werner is (won't be surprising at all).
How many PL strikers are “technically strong”? Aguero? Auba?(maybe) Firmino? (definitely exchanging goals for technique that one)
To be a successful PL striker, you need movement and the ability to actually finish a chance. That's what make Vardy, Aguero,Kane, Ings (last season), Auba etc successful not how ‘sexy’ your passes look or how many men you take on before scoring. Movement, finishing and a reliable supply line behind you, that's all it takes. Technique, skill, passing range/accuracy, holdup play, aerial ability, pace, agility, strength etc.....those are just added bonuses that gives you a distinct advantage in CERTAIN match scenarios.

Werner has movement in and around the box and can finish (although still requires some work in being more clinical). Those are better indicators for success IMO than his pace.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
The pace of the Premiere League will catch him out?
At this point I'm really not sure you know who Timo Werner is (won't be surprising at all).
How many PL strikers are “technically strong”? Aguero? Auba?(maybe) Firmino? (definitely exchanging goals for technique that one)
To be a successful PL striker, you need movement and the ability to actually finish a chance. That's what make Vardy, Aguero,Kane, Ings (last season), Auba etc successful not how ‘sexy’ your passes look or how many men you take on before scoring. Movement, finishing and a reliable supply line behind you, that's all it takes. Technique, skill, passing range/accuracy, holdup play, aerial ability, pace, agility, strength etc.....those are just added bonuses that gives you a distinct advantage in CERTAIN match scenarios.

Werner has movement in and around the box and can finish (although still requires some work in being more clinical). Those are better indicators for success IMO than his pace.
We will see, I’m yet to be convinced by him at all.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea

Should be 3rd choice behind Werner and Tammy right? Might be very hard to get game time.
Will play quite a bit given the hectic schedule I think, has different skill set to Werner and Abraham, less pace but better as a target and bringing others in to play and still a big goal threat. Really came through end of last season scoring important goals so we finished 4th. Despite shiny new signings he is very important player for our attack still.

Don't think Lampard trusted him before the break in the season, that must be over now, he scored his 8 league goals in only 1000 minutes of play, very good strike rate by any standard.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea

Will definitely get game time. This isn’t a regular season. Squad rotation will be paramount to success and on a tactical level there will be games where Frank will want a target and runners coming off him which is what Giroud excels at. Could even have Werner on the left of Giroud.

Handré1990

That’s what, six players? Five of them to take a starting spot, maybe? Chelsea should really go for the title, no two ways about it.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
That’s what, six players? Five of them to take a starting spot, maybe? Chelsea should really go for the title, no two ways about it.
When has that ever happened though? I’d pretty confidently say they won’t win the title next season.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Maybe. But isn't he injured constantly?

My point is, I think there is a distinct lack of top quality CB's in the league. People are underrating how big a difference Silva could make if he settles. He's instantly one of the best CB's in the league.

Keeper still a glaring hole, though. Getting anxious about that.
Steady on now

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I keep reading this, what years budget did Kovacic and Ziyech come out of if not last years?

tbh Im not sure I even buy into clubs like Chelsea having transfer budgets for each window, it's not like pocket money or a monthly salary it's money that's in the bank
A rough accounting of our business thus far:

IN:
Havertz - ‎€80m after addons
Werner - ‎€53m
Ziyech - ‎€40m
Chilwell - ‎€50m
Kovacic - ‎€45m
TOTAL: ‎€268m

OUT:
Hazard - ‎€125m thus far, looks likely to end up somewhere between ‎€140-160m
Morata - ‎€56m
Pasalic - ‎€15m
Aina - ‎€10m
Hector - ‎€6m
Omeruo - ‎€5m
Luiz - ‎€8.7m
Nathan - ‎€3m
Boga - ‎€10m
TOTAL: ‎€238.7, rising possibly to ‎€253.7 -‎€273.7m

This is without accounting for the potential sales of Jorginho, Barkley, Emerson, Batshuayi, Zappacosta, and the like, likely loan fees for Bakayoko, Sarr, et al, as well as the normal financial loss we're willing to absorb as a cost of doing business. From this point on we may have to sell to buy but there is 100% room for at minimum a goalkeeper to come in.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
"No more excuses"

Always found this funny. Will a manager always be excused unless he's been backed? Are we not allowed to judge before that?

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Yes there is the added bonus they've been training for weeks. But having been a footballer myself till about Uni (bear with me, I know it's not the same!), I know that no matter how hard you train with your mates, it's in a real match the opposition will kick your legs in and push you down till you get frustrated.

The physicality of the league has a toll not only physically but mentally as well. The speed is also a big change. A friendly at the end of the day is a friendly with players trying to regain their stamina and not wanting to injure themselves. Pre-season is everything but it's harder in these times for Frank.
I agree with you! I certainly wouldn't expect any of our players to hit their full potential initially no matter how long they've been training. I guess my point is just that I'd expect the learning curve to be a bit shallower - yes they'll have to learn to cope with the physicality of the league and style of play, but at least they won't also have to be learning the idiosyncrasies of their teammates as well.

AshRK

A rough accounting of our business thus far:

IN:
Havertz - ‎€80m after addons
Werner - ‎€53m
Ziyech - ‎€40m
Chilwell - ‎€50m
Kovacic - ‎€45m
TOTAL: ‎€268m

OUT:
Hazard - ‎€125m thus far, looks likely to end up somewhere between ‎€140-160m
Morata - ‎€56m
Pasalic - ‎€15m
Aina - ‎€10m
Hector - ‎€6m
Omeruo - ‎€5m
Luiz - ‎€8.7m
Nathan - ‎€3m
Boga - ‎€10m
TOTAL: ‎€238.7, rising possibly to ‎€253.7 -‎€273.7m

This is without accounting for the potential sales of Jorginho, Barkley, Emerson, Batshuayi, Zappacosta, and the like, likely loan fees for Bakayoko, Sarr, et al, as well as the normal financial loss we're willing to absorb as a cost of doing business. From this point on we may have to sell to buy but there is 100% room for at minimum a goalkeeper to come in.
I hope stats like this is not used as an excuse if lampard underperforms. Also,how come pulisic is not added to any of the transfer stats. It seems people forget but he was bought for £60m.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I hope stats like this is not used as an excuse if lampard underperforms. Also,how come pulisic is not added to any of the transfer stats. It seems people forget but he was bought for £60m.
Pulisic was accounted for on the 18/19 books. The summary covers only players sold or acquired during the 19/20 season. Morata is included because he left in 18/19 on loan with an obligation to buy last summer, so the fee was only received this year.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
Right and? Doesn't mean your shiny new toy gets in by default
He's been one of the best CB's in the world over the past decade and has only lost a bit of pace. Still excellent both as a defender and on the ball.

charlenefan

When hes one of the top performing cbs in the world he does.
:lol:

PSG has a better defence than Liverpool last season, I guess by your logic he's better than VVD then?

charlenefan

He's been one of the best CB's in the world over the past decade and has only lost a bit of pace. Still excellent both as a defender and on the ball.
And see what losing a 'bit' of pace did to younger (and better) CB's than Silva in the PL

charlenefan

Which CBs better than Silva have joined the PL and flopped?

Blanc? That was 19 years ago; player conditioning and nutrition has improved by miles since then.
No idea you tell me? That wasn't what I said

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
And see what losing a 'bit' of pace did to younger (and better) CB's than Silva in the PL
John Terry was 35 and slow as a snail and was the rock in our title winning side just a few years ago. Silva is far more mobile and athletic than JT.

Look, do I think he's going to come in and boss everyone? No. But arguing that he isn't a massive upgrade on what we had is nonsense as is arguing he won't be able to cut it in the league.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
:lol:

PSG has a better defence than Liverpool last season, I guess by your logic he's better than VVD then?
He limited bayern and lewa in particular to 1 goal and half chances being by far the best defender on the pitch in a cl final. A bayern team that was scoring goals galore no less. Thats my logic added to the fact that theres less than a handfull of top cbs in the league.

charlenefan

John Terry was 35 and slow as a snail and was the rock in our title winning side just a few years ago. Silva is far more mobile and athletic than JT.

Look, do I think he's going to come in and boss everyone? No. But arguing that he isn't a massive upgrade on what we had is nonsense as is arguing he won't be able to cut it in the league.
I'm not arguing anything, I just said steady on before saying he'll instantly be one of the best CB's in the league and then surprisingly to no-one a third of the Chelsea fanbase on this forum leapt in because how dare anyone say anything remotely negative

charlenefan

He limited bayern and lewa in particular to 1 goal and half chances being by far the best defender on the pitch in a cl final. A bayern team that was scoring goals galore no less. Thats my logic added to the fact that theres less than a handfull of top cbs in the league.
Your logic is based in one game? Christ it's worse than I thought

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Your logic is based in one game? Christ it's worse than I thought
So you cant use a full season nor a cl final to judge him. What can you use considering in your opinion hes not one of the top cbs in the league ?

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
I'm not arguing anything, I just said steady on before saying he'll instantly be one of the best CB's in the league and then surprisingly to no-one a third of the Chelsea fanbase on this forum leapt in because how dare anyone say anything remotely negative
I mean, what we're saying is that it's not exactly hyperbole to suggest he's one of the best in the league. VVD is the only elite CB in the PL. After him who is better than Silva? Maguire? Soyuncu? Laporte? For me he's better than all of those.

charlenefan

So you cant use a full season nor a cl final to judge him. What can you use considering in your opinion hes not one of the top cbs in the league ?
Nope you're right a 36 year old CB who's never played in the PL is of course one of the best CB's in the league, in fact considering what you guys are saying about your attacking players + this now one of the best CB's in the league then surely you'll be competing for the title? I mean surely nothing less than that can be acceptable given how good all your new players are right?

Amarsdd

Didn't realize Silva was 36. Thought he was 33 and could easily have legs for couple of seasons more.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Nope you're right a 36 year old CB who's never played in the PL is of course one of the best CB's in the league,
So when 36 year old Zlatan arrived in the PL, you didn't rate him as one of the best strikers in the league?

charlenefan

I mean, what we're saying is that it's not exactly hyperbole to suggest he's one of the best in the league. VVD is the only elite CB in the PL. After him who is better than Silva? Maguire? Soyuncu? Laporte? For me he's better than all of those.
Nah it is, it's daft to say that about any new signing regardless of their age tbf. Look at Di Maria for example, no one would have thought it was much of a stretch to say he'd come into the league and instantly be one of its best players and look how that turned out. You don't know until you see how they settle etc

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Nope you're right a 36 year old CB who's never played in the PL is of course one of the best CB's in the league, in fact considering what you guys are saying about your attacking players + this now one of the best CB's in the league then surely you'll be competing for the title? I mean surely nothing less than that can be acceptable given how good all your new players are right?
36 year old zlatan never played in england either and finished with 20 plus goals.
The point about him is more the lack of good defenders around in the league where if he keeps up his performances he will be easily near the top of the list.
Once we get a keeper i see no reason why not.