Chelsea 2021/22 - World and European Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.

RooneyLegend

Defiently, especially when said runs are giving Havertz the freedom of Portugal to win us the second biggest competition in football.
No one puts a striker on the pitch just to make runs. If that was the case Shane Long would be a star.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
No one puts a striker on the pitch just to make runs. If that was the case Shane Long would be a star.
No, they put whoever fits best into the team. It's why for example Firmino keeps his place in the Liverpool set up despite average numbers for a centee forward.

Whether that will change now with Lukaku remains to be seen but so far under Tuchel despite his goal struggles we've been a much better team with Werner than without, significantly so infact.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Feck off guys. Just stop playing career mode in fifa . Pretty much signed a whole new team in the last 2 windows.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Werner was actually the top scorer and top assister for us last season in all comps. It wasn't as if he did absolutely nothing as a striker, so despite his conversion rate being laughable, he was always part of the chance creation process.

It's why he was preferred to Tammy and Giroud, even though his conversion rate was a lot lower than those two, Tammy and Giroud lowered our chance creation considerably and the team always looked out of sync.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Dont know how to tell you but Werner is pretty much done at Chelsea provided Lukaku's form holds. He lost his job missing the target. All that movement etc is nice and cute but not doing your core responsibility is going to end the way it has. Lukaku is also a threat behind the defence. I don't envisage Werner and Lukaku playing together that doesn't make sense.

Other formations don't cancel each other out but the ones with back 5's do. The biggest advantage of the Chelsea system is the overlap on the weak side which teams that play 4 at the back struggle to deal with reason being attackers can't be trust to track back. Exhibit A: Saka this past weekend. Football is more regid tactically these days.

Nah, your attackers outside of Lukaku, Havertz, Ziyech don't have it like that imo. Don't think being solid in defence is going to help the likes of Mount be more creative.
If you think our three at the back can be copied then you will be in very deep disappointment. Most of the time when we have ball possession we played two at the back as one defender act as auxillary midfielder. Not many teams have that luxury.zouma shown the door because he was not good at his feet.

We have recovery pace in back line too. And rumoured kounde most likely replace azpi in our back line has good pace and great at passing ability too.

We are trying to moulding the team in tuchel s view. Yes he earned that by winning cl with what he got. Werner will play vital part in our run this season.

Liverpool will not able to push up their full backs like they do against most teams will make them attack wise impotent. One of Mount or havertz will make way for Werner in my opinion. You think he is finished at chelsea then that's your view but tuchel and Chelsea don't think so.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
It seems like Arteta did put some kind of plan in place to try and counter what Chelsea were doing.

Im surprised we didn't try & match your formation, perhaps he would have if White was available, but I'd have put Tierney in as 3rd centre back & had Tavares in as left wing back. Especially after he got a result (somewhat luckily) at Stamford Bridge last game.

Given that Reece James seemed to have the freedom of the right flank, it would have just given added security against the full backs. I think we should be more adaptable in tactics against the top clubs, as I feel our version of 4231 with the lack of quality we have just now makes us too open.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
If you think our three at the back can be copied then you will be in very deep disappointment. Most of the time when we have ball possession we played two at the back as one defender act as auxillary midfielder. Not many teams have that luxury.zouma shown the door because he was not good at his feet.

We have recovery pace in back line too. And rumoured kounde most likely replace azpi in our back line has good pace and great at passing ability too.

We are trying to moulding the team in tuchel s view. Yes he earned that by winning cl with what he got. Werner will play vital part in our run this season.

Liverpool will not able to push up their full backs like they do against most teams will make them attack wise impotent. One of Mount or havertz will make way for Werner in my opinion. You think he is finished at chelsea then that's your view but tuchel and Chelsea don't think so.
Tactically it's going to be really interesting. Werner would be one of the first names on the team sheet for me this weekend. And I'd probably put him right on Trent.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Tactically it's going to be really interesting. Werner would be one of the first names on the team sheet for me this weekend. And I'd probably put him right on Trent.
Against Liverpool's high line, I'd start him in that game too.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Thinking that Chelsea almost paid for Lukaku by selling Zouma, Abraham and Tomori is pretty impressive. Please buy Saul Niguez as well, apparently it would give us a chance to sell Sarabia and Kurzawa to Atletico.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Yes he was wasteful and all for us last season. But tuchel simply said we wanted to improve with two or three signings. He signed Lukaku doesn't mean he don't want Werner.

We solved our biggest problem in tactical play by signing Lukaku as most teams sit back and we can't play open route one counter with what we got before opposition settle.Giroud had the target man ability but he was slow in all the other areas.

Lukaku gave us very good advantage in our general play also he can act as run the type channel striker too.Adding Werner and Lukaku we can vary our attack in lot other ways including our formation with two man up front.

We still has only two strikers in our whole squad including Werner and adding havertz as striker then three but saying Werner was finished is laughable to say the least.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Thinking that Chelsea almost paid for Lukaku by selling Zouma, Abraham and Tomori is pretty impressive. Please buy Saul Niguez as well, apparently it would give us a chance to sell Sarabia and Kurzawa to Atletico.
Chelsea are already in the plus in terms of income and outgoings, without the Zouma sale. We could potentially sign Kounde, if Tuchel wants him, for £65m and end up with a net spend of about £30m for the summer.

Updated from Transfermarkt, now added Zappacosta

Abraham £36m
Tomori £26.28m
Guehi £21m
Zappacosta £8.5m
Livramento £5.31m
Ugbo £5m
Moses £4.5m
Bate £1.58m
Simeu £1.58m
Miles Peart Harris £1.35m
Ekwah £1.26m
Giroud £0.9m

Emerson Loan Fee
Batshuayi Loan Fee
Kenedy Loan Fee
Gilmour Loan Fee

Total £113.26m + Add ons and Loan Fees. Zouma rumoured to be close to a £30m move to West Ham pending personal terms getting sorted

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea are already in the plus in terms of income and outgoings, without the Zouma sale. We could potentially sign Kounde, if Tuchel wants him, for £65m and end up with a net spend of about £30m for the summer.
:drool: It seems tuchel don't want to rest on laurels. Want to win six. One in the bag already and five to go.:D

Dominos

In 19 Liverpool games at home with Anthony Taylor as the ref, Liverpool has won 14.
Are you implying something here, I'm not sure that is out of the ordinary for a top side?

It's 73% win rate at home over a sample size that equates to a single season.

RooneyLegend

It will be copied just like it was copied the season Conte won the league. If you recall, Chelsea went on a crazy winning run, got copied and then slowed down. The matching of the full backs is what's important. It's difficult to defend against wing backs if you use other systems because attackers are unreliable when it comes to tracking back.

I guess we'll just have to see how the Werner Saga goes. Lukaku renders him useless as Lukaku himself makes runs into channels and behind the defense. In fact, that's his more natural game. If Werner plays vs Pool it will be a mistake. Pools midfielders will isolate the front two from the rest of the team.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Hahahaha we have absolutely no chance now. Last 10 games with the bald cnut we have 2 wins, 2 draws and 6 losses. Surely there should be a rule that if you feck over a team badly (in a fecking cup final no less) you shouldn't be able to ref them again.
In 19 Liverpool games at home with Anthony Taylor as the ref, Liverpool has won 14.
Are you implying something here, I'm not sure that is out of the ordinary for a top side?

It's 73% win rate at home over a sample size that equates to a single season.
Just the obvious. The Liverpool numbers look about right. Our numbers with Taylor do not.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
It will be copied just like it was copied the season Conte won the league. If you recall, Chelsea went on a crazy winning run, got copied and then slowed down. The matching of the full backs is what's important. It's difficult to defend against wing backs if you use other systems because attackers are unreliable when it comes to tracking back.

I guess we'll just have to see how the Werner Saga goes. Lukaku renders him useless as Lukaku himself makes runs into channels and behind the defense. In fact, that's his more natural game. If Werner plays vs Pool it will be a mistake. Pools midfielders will isolate the front two from the rest of the team.
Mate you are right but what you missed about conte s second season was he downgraded striker with Morata from Costa,having wing back in Moses,downgraded midfielder from matic to bakayoko and Cahill as our third center back with bulked up hazard in preseason.

I still don't think that system was problem or anybody copied it but chelsea downgraded title winning team into worse. I mean Morata scored only one goal in that season s second half. We were still third or fourth in that season until match day 27 or 28.

Of course you are entitled to have your opinion but I don't think we will be contained like that this time around.We are upgrading almost all weak positions from last season into better ones. You will see as season progress.

There is no isolation will happen mate. Pool s wingbacks don't have luxury to play up the pitch or their centerbacks able to play high up the pitch.Pool s press was very successful because their fullbacks acted an passing outlet and their center backs play high up the pitch.

Our team under tuchel very good as press resistent and pool s full backs don't able to enjoy freedom like against most teams. Tuchel is the coach and I am not but I think he will play Werner and mount/havertz than them both in my opinion.Lot more positives to play Werner especially against liverpool.He has the pace to pull the liverpool high line defense apart and Lukaku will have all the time to attack space.If I am right he will play Werner mount/havertz behind Lukaku.

Last edited:

lsd

The Oracle
98 million they have made by selling players this summer. Their net spend is practically nothing which is amazing business by them after spending almost 100 million on Lukaku and looking so much stronger for it.

Makes you wonder how they are so good at selling players on while we can't even give our players alway

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
The "slowing down" was more down to Conte going on the rampage in the last 5 months than anything else, first season we won the league and second year we were 2nd heading into new year all be it miles behind City.

There may be some games where managers match up and make the game tricky but they'll also be games where teams try it and get twatted sideways because we're simply better at/more use too the system than them.

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
Updated from Transfermarkt

Abraham £36m
Tomori £26.28m
Zouma £25.68m TBC
Guehi £21m
Zappacosta £8.5m
Livramento £5.31m
Ugbo £4m
Moses £4.5m
Bate £1.58m
Simeu £1.58m
Miles Peart Harris £1.35m
Ekwah £1.26m
Giroud £0.9m

Emerson Loan Fee
Batshuayi Loan Fee
Kenedy Loan Fee
Gilmour Loan Fee
Bakayoko Loan Fee

Total £137.94m + Add ons and Loan Fees. Barkley and Drinkwater the next two to sort, i imagine we'll find a buyer for the former but not the latter

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I don't envisage Werner and Lukaku playing together that doesn't make sense.
It actually makes a lot of sense. Werner is by far at his best playing off a target man, and Lukaku is at his best having another striker close by playing off of him(and sometimes playing off of)

Not sure werner has lautaro's dogged physicality, but his pace is horrifying and if he and Lukaku can establish a rapport like the belgian did with lautaro, they're gonna be unstoppable. Here is where Tuchel should just pull video of Conte's teams and lock werner in a room with lukaku to watch them(and have rom explain conte's tactics)

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
It actually makes a lot of sense. Werner is by far at his best playing off a target man, and Lukaku is at his best having another striker close by playing off of him(and sometimes playing off of)

Not sure werner has lautaro's dogged physicality, but his pace is horrifying and if he and Lukaku can establish a rapport like the belgian did with lautaro, they're gonna be unstoppable. Here is where Tuchel should just pull video of Conte's teams and lock werner in a room with lukaku to watch them(and have rom explain conte's tactics)
But Werner's runs live from positional interchanges. The target man leaving his typical spaces so that Werner can attack them, sort of like Cristiano and Benzema for Madrid. It'a no coincidence that the target men he played with never realy were prolific scorers themselves. Lukaku doesn't really leave his position. He's great with his back tongoal but I doubt he'll leave the striker areas vacated so that Werner can make his runs. He could indeed have a tough season ahead of him. Even if he finds his spot in the team, I doubt that he'll get into as many goal scoring chances as he would like to.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
But Werner's runs live from positional interchanges. The target man leaving his typical spaces so that Werner can attack them, sort of like Cristiano and Benzema for Madrid. It'a no coincidence that the target men he played with never realy were prolific scorers themselves. Lukaku doesn't really leave his position. He's great with his back tongoal but I doubt he'll leave the striker areas vacated so that Werner can make his runs. He could indeed have a tough season ahead of him. Even if he finds his spot in the team, I doubt that he'll get into as many goal scoring chances as he would like to.
Lukaku can, and has done that plenty of times at inter

RooneyLegend

One of them would need to operate between the lines and none of them can. Lautaro is a much better 'footballer' than Werner. Lukaku is still far better running in behind, his hold up play will be exposed asap as he runs into more physical defenders than Mari.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Last I checked Jose didn't play him while he was at Chelsea.
He was 16 when Jose took over the second time. RLC was playing youth league games in 2014/15, when Chelsea won the league under Jose.

In 2015/16 He had Fabregas & Hazard ahead of him and Jose was probably the only manager NOT to send him out on loan! RLC played 17 games that season, not bad for an 18/19 year old given the competition for his position.

Also, Chelsea in 2015 were a feck load better than Roma are now.

Lastly, Roma just spent big on Tammy, makes sense to get his mate over on loan to help him settle in.

edcunited1878

Chelsea can field about 3 to 4 different starting XIs with plenty of experienced/senior players because of how they horde players who they own and just farm out to their benefit....it's rather extortionate, but just another loophole being exposed. It's quite impressive. People complain about United's bloated squad as it relates to the registered players for PL, but they don't have nearly the overall selection Chelsea does. Chelsea meanwhile have a plethora of senior players that are loaned out just for financial gain and then sold at profit, which also helps the agents and intermediaries generate financial gains.

With their financial support and way they do player business, coupled with their ability to leverage their London-based location and sustained success, not sure why people are surprised Chelsea have been very competitive for a while now. They can chop and change managers because the overall quality of their squad selection allows that to happen. They rarely go two seasons without making good signings to complement their squad or massive signings just because the flow of player cash is potentially high due to high volume of players they acquire for transactional purposes and nothing to remotely impact the players they register at PL squad level of 25.

Seeing Lampard finally get the sack was nice to see from a footballing POV because he was a massive anchor to the team, even if they had a large sized hole in CF, which eventually was solved via Lukaku.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea can field about 3 to 4 different starting XIs with plenty of experienced/senior players because of how they horde players who they own and just farm out to their benefit....it's rather extortionate, but just another loophole being exposed. It's quite impressive. People complain about United's bloated squad as it relates to the registered players for PL, but they don't have nearly the overall selection Chelsea does. Chelsea meanwhile have a plethora of senior players that are loaned out just for financial gain and then sold at profit, which also helps the agents and intermediaries generate financial gains.

With their financial support and way they do player business, coupled with their ability to leverage their London-based location and sustained success, not sure why people are surprised Chelsea have been very competitive for a while now. They can chop and change managers because the overall quality of their squad selection allows that to happen. They rarely go two seasons without making good signings to complement their squad or massive signings just because the flow of player cash is potentially high due to high volume of players they acquire for transactional purposes and nothing to remotely impact the players they register at PL squad level of 25.

Seeing Lampard finally get the sack was nice to see from a footballing POV because he was a massive anchor to the team, even if they had a large sized hole in CF, which eventually was solved via Lukaku.
About 75% of the players Chelsea had loaned out last season were academy graduates, and I'd say a good portion of them are just players bouncing around in the lower leagues the club is trying to find a permanent home for. The senior players catch everyone's eye because they're senior players who are loaned out in the PL or other top leagues around Europe, but they make up a small percentage of the overall loan group.

Out of the 8 senior players we had out loan, 6 are players we bought to be in the first team and we tried to play them in the first team but for whatever reason, they were unimpressive. I'm sure the club would prefer to just sell them but that hasn't been easy, so loaning them out is a way a recouping some of the money spent of them via loan fees until they finally be sold.

edcunited1878

About 75% of the players Chelsea had loaned out last season were academy graduates, and I'd say a good portion of them are just players bouncing around in the lower leagues the club is trying to find a permanent home for. The senior players catch everyone's eye because they're senior players who are loaned out in the PL or other top leagues around Europe, but they make up a small percentage of the overall loan group.

Out of the 8 senior players we had out loan, 6 are players we bought to be in the first team and we tried to play them in the first team but for whatever reason, they were unimpressive. I'm sure the club would prefer to just sell them but that hasn't been easy, so loaning them out is a way a recouping some of the money spent of them via loan fees until they finally be sold.
That's still a massive amount of players who are under Chelsea's book. Some youth team players labeled as a Chelsea player but loaned out and still fielding a competitive academy at a couple of levels. Many fringe squad players loaned out year after year. They must be on lower first team salaries for other clubs to easily attain their services. For example, Matt Mizaga was a top MLS defender and made like 5 appearances for Chelsea, but has been loaned out for 4 consecutive years. Bayakoko joined from Monaco for approximately 40M pounds, wasn't good enough and has been quite easily loaned out for 3 consecutive years. RLC, Kenedy, Piazon, Barkley, not sure what Drinkwater has been up to, kalas, rahman, etc

It's an insane amount of players signed then just revolving door of loans under Chelsea's book.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
That's still a massive amount of players who are under Chelsea's book. Some youth team players labeled as a Chelsea player but loaned out and still fielding a competitive academy at a couple of levels. Many fringe squad players loaned out year after year. They must be on lower first team salaries for other clubs to easily attain their services. For example, Matt Mizaga was a top MLS defender and made like 5 appearances for Chelsea, but has been loaned out for 4 consecutive years. Bayakoko joined from Monaco for approximately 40M pounds, wasn't good enough and has been quite easily loaned out for 3 consecutive years. RLC, Kenedy, Piazon, Barkley, not sure what Drinkwater has been up to, kalas, rahman, etc

It's an insane amount of players signed then just revolving door of loans under Chelsea's book.
Oh no, it's a ridiculous amount. There is no argument about that. I guess I was just responding to the specific claim that we horde "plethora of senior players that are loaned out just for financial gain and then sold at profit".

There were only 8, and as I said, 6 of the 8 senior player (and by senior I mean they haven't come through the academy) were initially bought to be part of the first team but for whatever reason, those players failed to impress and now they're on loan because it has been difficult to shift them. Not sure what the club is supposed to do with Bakayoko, Moses etc if they have been deemed not good enough for the team but no-one is willing to buy them either.

Last edited:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Di Marzio is pretty reliable generally - and maybe Sevilla would rather sell to us now than to Real Madrid for less later?
Unbelievable fee if true. This is roughly the price I was expecting when Zouma was rumoured to be part of the deal.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
It's so good to have a deep squad again even more so if we get these deals over the line.

Contary to popular belief our depth of squad for nearly a decade pre the Hazard/Morata money was pretty poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.