Chelsea 2021/22 - World and European Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Anthony Taylor is reffing the Chelsea V UTD game. That should go down well with the Chelsea posters.
We need to petition Boris Johnson to intervene on our behalf. We cannot allow this blatant sabotage to stand.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
That has to be a wind up. This guy shouldn’t be allowed near our games.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Apparently the fear is Chilwell may have torn his ACL last night. Feck.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Rumours are circulating that Chelsea are considering recalling Maatsen to serve as Alonso's backup. What's everyone's take on this?

On one hand I think he should stay where he is for his development. He's been one of Coventry's better players this season. On the other hand, Alonso cannot and will not play every game until the end of the season. There would be plenty of opportunities to play, plus the added bonus of being coached by Tuchel. This could be his Trev Chalobah situation.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
When you get the opportunity, you take it. He needs to challenge Alonso for #1.

cotumely

Supports
Chelsea
Rumours are circulating that Chelsea are considering recalling Maatsen to serve as Alonso's backup. What's everyone's take on this?

On one hand I think he should stay where he is for his development. He's been one of Coventry's better players this season. On the other hand, Alonso cannot and will not play every game until the end of the season. There would be plenty of opportunities to play, plus the added bonus of being coached by Tuchel. This could be his Trev Chalobah situation.
Azpi will also play left back in Chilwell’s absence.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I think we will probably go into the market in January to fill that need. If he could be recalled today, he would get the opportunity.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
I think we will probably go into the market in January to fill that need. If he could be recalled today, he would get the opportunity.
id enter the market for a loan. Its okay asking for these players to be recalled but if it hinders development, leave them where they are.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
How come you guys are playing this in February? We were told to feck off when our Carabao cup game against Villa was almost the same day as this piece of shit. That was during the crazy Christmas and New Year schedule.

Cloud7

Now the raw frustration has somewhat worn off I'm even more confident we'll challenge now after today.

Even our finishing can only hold us back so much if we keep creating such a high volume of chances.

The conversation no one is ready for is the Lukaku conundrum, as much as I hate to make rival fans smug (re United fans warned us this would happen) we are a better team without him, by a distance in my opinion.
We did all tell you guys this was going to happen

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
There is a feeling Chelsea are holding back and have another gear to go into. Whether Tuchel favours that is another story. Pulisic, Mount and Havertz all on the pitch will get Chelsea lots of goals and increase their xG chance creation. This may mean playing a riskier game, i.e. exposing Thiago Silva's 'age' or Rudiger's 'rashness' to a back two instead of a back three which I'm not sure Tuchel is ready for.

Going to a back two CBs is the only way to accommodate Jorgino and Kante while getting the above three and Lukaku on the pitch. This is what City and Liverpool are doing and scoring 90+ points for fun. Chelsea can do that too.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
There is a feeling Chelsea are holding back and have another gear to go into. Whether Tuchel favours that is another story. Pulisic, Mount and Havertz all on the pitch will get Chelsea lots of goals and increase their xG chance creation. This may mean playing a riskier game, i.e. exposing Thiago Silva's 'age' or Rudiger's 'rashness' to a back two instead of a back three which I'm not sure Tuchel is ready for.

Going to a back two CBs is the only way to accommodate Jorgino and Kante while getting the above three and Lukaku on the pitch. This is what City and Liverpool are doing and scoring 90+ points for fun. Chelsea can do that too.
No way are Chelsea doing that. As

1) They have the best defensive record in the league where 4 of the 5 goals they've conceeded have been via penos, individual mistakes or deflections.

2) Moving to a back 4 would restrict their WB's who all look more comfortable at WB rather than FB

3) They can include all those players listed (apart from Lukaku who is limited player anyway.)

Only reason they would move away from their 3atb formation would be to involve Lukaku which would be insane.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I was pointing out Rom's flaws while he was at you and the default responses were either to a) dismiss me as jealous or b) deflect using Morata.

Life comes at us all fast.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

Yeah but what if their defensive solidify is based on them having a back 3, and reverting back to a 2 throws that all out of the window? Can the wing backs (James and Alonso) be more disciplined? Can the midfield of Kante and Kovacic control the game sufficiently? Can Mount play deeper?

Because if the answer to those questions are nay, he's best off sticking to a back 3.

adexkola

Supports
This nonsense about Lukaku is just nonsense.

I said this elsewhere but it's insane that his "flaws" are so intolerable, yet Werner has the freedom of the pitch apparently.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
This nonsense about Lukaku is just nonsense.

I said this elsewhere but it's insane that his "flaws" are so intolerable, yet Werner has the freedom of the pitch apparently.
Werner's conversion rate is bad, but he actually contributes a lot to chance creation and fluid attacking play, especially of the ball (prime example for that would be the CL final, where he created the necessary space for Havertz). That's what gives him some freedom, and that's what Lukaku so far doesn't do.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Werner's conversion rate is bad, but he actually contributes a lot to chance creation and fluid attacking play, especially of the ball (prime example for that would be the CL final, where he created the necessary space for Havertz). That's what gives him some freedom, and that's what Lukaku so far doesn't do.
Yeah, i said it last season, even though his finishing is poor, he does lot of things right. Drags defenders all over the pitch, very unselfish player who works very hard. Lukaku is more static and makes their attack bit predictable.

adexkola

Supports
That is less useful in a long league campaign. At some point your forwards have to start scoring otherwise you'll drop too many points.

Lukaku can't do that as well but does he need to? He's there to score. Let Havertz and Pulisic and Mount do all the fluid rah rah

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
That is less useful in a long league campaign. At some point your forwards have to start scoring otherwise you'll drop too many points.

Lukaku can't do that as well but does he need to? He's there to score. Let Havertz and Pulisic and Mount do all the fluid rah rah
It's not much of an issue now thanks to Callum's explosion but under Tuchel last season our good and bad performances and results largely coincided with whether Werner started or not.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah but what if their defensive solidify is based on them having a back 3, and reverting back to a 2 throws that all out of the window? Can the wing backs (James and Alonso) be more disciplined? Can the midfield of Kante and Kovacic control the game sufficiently? Can Mount play deeper?

Because if the answer to those questions are nay, he's best off sticking to a back 3.
And at the same time playing 3 at the back against, essentially, Ole's Utd (and teams as bad as that) will get Tuchel results like the Utd one. It wasn't just the lack of goals but the lack of clear cut chances against a defensively-set but ultimately very poor Utd team on Sunday.

This isn't a Utd bashing post, it's used to illustrate that going too defensive has it's flaws and if Tuchel can tweak that (feck it, risk James and Alonso in dodgier FB positions) against poorer teams then he can take Chelsea up a level.

Liverpool and City have dropped silly points undoubtedly but you can see their xGs are another level. Results will catch up eventually barring catastrophic injuries.

marfans

Supports
Chelsea FC
And at the same time playing 3 at the back against, essentially, Ole's Utd (and teams as bad as that) will get Tuchel results like the Utd one. It wasn't just the lack of goals but the lack of clear cut chances against a defensively-set but ultimately very poor Utd team on Sunday.

This isn't a Utd bashing post, it's used to illustrate that going too defensive has it's flaws and if Tuchel can tweak that (feck it, risk James and Alonso in dodgier FB positions) against poorer teams then he can take Chelsea up a level.

Liverpool and City have dropped silly points undoubtedly but you can see their xGs are another level. Results will catch up eventually barring catastrophic injuries.
I beg to differ. Tuchel have taken Chelsea to the next level, he hasn’t been in Chelsea up to a year. Yet he is competing with Coaches like Pep and Klopp that have had time to get their players. The main difference between the 3 teams attack is that both City and Liverpool have players up front at their peak but Chelsea main attackers are mostly young players( Kai, pulisic, mount, cho) with lukaku just joining the club. I wouldn’t count Werner because he is turning into Chelsea version of Dirk Kuyt.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I beg to differ. Tuchel have taken Chelsea to the next level, he hasn’t been in Chelsea up to a year. Yet he is competing with Coaches like Pep and Klopp that have had time to get their players. The main difference between the 3 teams attack is that both City and Liverpool have players up front at their peak but Chelsea main attackers are mostly young players( Kai, pulisic, mount, cho) with lukaku just joining the club. I wouldn’t count Werner because he is turning into Chelsea version of Dirk Kuyt.
Good point, to be honest.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
That is why I rate Tuchel, he sees where the strength of his players are and focuses there. He deserved that CL win and will deserve the PL should he win it (very good chance of that obviously).

But Mount, Pulisic and Havertz being 'young' or, by implication, inexperienced is a weak argument. Maybe it's early in Tuchel's tenure to go 100% behind them right now but my point is that it will happen and that will be the next level up Chelsea can/will make. They have one more gear in them.

I just think Tuchel's hand might be forced to go that gear up sooner than he hoped as City are definitely breaking that 90-95 point barrier again this season. For Chelsea to compete with that their pragmatic approach may need to take a back seat. I'm deliberately leaving Liverpool out of the argument, for reference.

GMoore23

This
And all the pundits wankfest over him earlier in the season ''he's a massively improved player since his United days'' blah blah
Infuriating.

marfans

Supports
Chelsea FC
That is why I rate Tuchel, he sees where the strength of his players are and focuses there. He deserved that CL win and will deserve the PL should he win it (very good chance of that obviously).

But Mount, Pulisic and Havertz being 'young' or, by implication, inexperienced is a weak argument. Maybe it's early in Tuchel's tenure to go 100% behind them right now but my point is that it will happen and that will be the next level up Chelsea can/will make. They have one more gear in them.

I just think Tuchel's hand might be forced to go that gear up sooner than he hoped as City are definitely breaking that 90-95 point barrier again this season. For Chelsea to compete with that their pragmatic approach may need to take a back seat. I'm deliberately leaving Liverpool out of the argument, for reference.
The last time I check Salah at the age couldn’t even cut it at Chelsea and Mane was playing in Austria. Players grow into who they are meant to be in their mid 20s.City you are talking of top quality in their prime.in short I can count games we would have won if only our frontline had a bit of game know how.
Tuchel system isn’t pragmatic if you really looked at it critically, I would go further to say that his teams attack with the same number of players like Liverpool and City. What he needs is more time to work with the players and get his players in so that we can be as automated as Liverpool and city.

marfans

Supports
Chelsea FC
This
And all the pundits wankfest over him earlier in the season ''he's a massively improved player since his United days'' blah blah
Infuriating.
He does improve players. It’s still too early to judge lukaku in Tuchel’s team. He needs time to blend with the team.
By the way for reference given the games he missed he is still Chelsea’s second highest goal scorer.

UsualSuspect

Supports
Chelsea

It's not a weak argument at all. We can compete with the other 2 favourites in midfield and defense - as long as the system suits. By this I mean that the current formation is about bringing the best out of Jorginho, Alonso, Azpilicueta etc. They all lack recovery pace and are in no way suited to a back 4.

Our attack is currently some way off as our board prioritied potential and resale value in that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.