Chelsea 2022/2023 | THIS IS LAST YEARS THREAD YOU NUMPTIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idxomer

They are fecked, their squad is just terrible.

They've been adding a lot of mediocre players since the transfer ban.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He’s not wrong.
Newcastle did feck all in the first half and we had the better (only) chance.

They've been better this half but even then it was only really one big chance each which unfortunently they took and we didn't.

It's been a shocking performance but it's extreme hyperbole to suggest they've outplayed us.

TheReligion

Abusive
It’s crazy when you think about it really.

Havertz at £75m
Cucerella at £63m
Pulisic at £58m
Ziyech at £35m
Jorginho at £50m
Kovacic at £40m

All on the pitch today and failing to create or control anything. Just doing the basics wrong.

The squad just looks really off and the more you look at the £260m spend in the summer the more it looks poorly planned and executed.

Potentially need to replace both Kante and Jorginho in the summer (contacts expiring), still don’t have a top CF, with Aubamayang not even getting a game despite them needing a goal today, and huge question marks over the wide players like Ziyech and Pulisic both of whom wanted to leave. That’s not even mentioning their best CB is 38.

They could easily spend another £250m just to replace those players and still find themselves short and with no real improvement.

its almost as if they're not playing for him....might be over reacting, though
No I see what you mean. Zero fight. It’s worrying when he’s such a new manager. I wonder if there’s some unrest behind the scenes?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

They've been better this half but even then it was only really one big chance each which unfortunently they took and we didn't.

It's been a shocking performance but it's extreme hyperbole to suggest they've outplayed us.
they have, easily

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
they have, easily

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
It’s crazy when you think about it really.

Havertz at £75m
Cucerella at £63m
Pulisic at £58m
Ziyech at £35m
Jorginho at £50m
Kovacic at £40m

All on the pitch today and failing to create or control anything. Just doing the basics wrong.

The squad just looks really off and the more you look at the £260m spend in the summer the more it looks poorly planned and executed.

Potentially need to replace both Kante and Jorginho in the summer (contacts expiring), still don’t have a top CF, with Aubamayang not even getting a game despite them needing a goal today, and huge question marks over the wide players like Ziyech and Pulisic both of whom wanted to leave. That’s not even mentioning their best CB is 38.

They could easily spend another £250m just to replace those players and still find themselves short and with no real improvement.

No I see what you mean. Zero fight. It’s worrying when he’s such a new manager. I wonder if there’s some unrest behind the scenes?
still has the mentality of being brighton manager .

TheReligion

Abusive
That ending would wind me up if I was a Chelsea fan. The players kicking off after the whistle but not willing to run and fight during the game for Potter.

Worrying for Chelsea. Something smells very off.

cyberman

They’ve been terrible in the league for a calendar year worth of games now. It’s a team that looks like a rebuild is needed despite the hundreds of millions they literally just spent a few months ago

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
They’ve been terrible in the league for a calendar year worth of games now. It’s a team that looks like a rebuild is needed despite the hundreds of millions they literally just spent a few months ago
A club that's actually spent money worse than us

Remember the geese

Could have done with them skanking a point there. Chelsea look as Thursday night as it comes. They'll be hoping to finish 8th and miss out on the Conference League.

Chief123

To be fair it only ever looked like one team would win that. Chelsea were just hanging on for a draw most parts.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Meh. Terrible again.

I'm going to give Potter a bit of rope due to the injuries and our UCL performances (City aswell to an extent) but if we come back from the world cup playing like this feck it.

Patience is all well and good only if the projected end product is something you want to see. I don't buy this squad being shit, certainly not as bad as what we're seeing anyway.

TheReligion

Abusive
I'm going to give Potter a bit of rope due to the injuries and our UCL performances (City aswell to an extent) but if we come back from the world cup playing like this feck it.

Patience is all well and good only if the projected end product is something you want to see. I don't buy this squad being shit, certainly not as bad as what we're seeing anyway.
You have to give him time. All this chaos is down to one man and that’s Todd Boehly (in my opinion).

One thing I would say is it doesn’t look like the players are really playing for him to be honest. That’s quite concerning.

Zen

The side just isn't that great to be fair.... and it's one built to have Southgate as it's English manager, not the more positive and flowing Potter. Even the good part of the squad is injured all the time (James-Chilwell).

TheReligion

Abusive
I think the break is coming at a good time for Potter.

I would say it looks an unsettled dressing room though and it speaks volumes the same bunch weren’t playing for Tuchel and got him sacked.

The issue Chelsea have is they are relying on a number of players who don’t actually want to be there anymore. Ziyech wanted to go to Ajax, Pulisic wanted out on loan or permanent deal, Kante and Jorginho are both going on frees in the summer and Aubamayang came in thinking he’d be playing each week under his friend Tuchel.

From the outside looking in you can see why things are getting messy.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
A question for Chelsea fans mainly. How much money do you still have to invest in signings after spending this summer?
Is there any chance of renewing Kante and Jorginho?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

The only way we can know if the right man or not is to see what happens. That doesn’t mean a month after the WC. It might be sound pleasing but giving him time is the only option here.

He was thrown in the deep end, then an injury pile up. All while trying get to know his team. He’s not immune from criticism. He’s made some weird decisions but I honestly have no time for fans who are already calling for his head.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
A question for Chelsea fans mainly. How much money do you still have to invest in signings after spending this summer?
Is there any chance of renewing Kante and Jorginho?
Money to spend, there’s a lot. More than enough to rebuild the midfield and attack.

Unsure about Kante and Jorginho. Would be mad to let both leave, but my gut feeling is that Kante leaving and the club gives Jorginho the extension he wants.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Koulibaly was such a weird buy. This will be only his third league start under Potter and he only seems to start in the league when Thiago Silva isn't playing. They haven't started a league match together under Potter yet.
It would have been a fine but if Kante were healthy. Koulibaliy, like a lot of CB’s requires a screen in front of him so people can make unimpeded runs at the defense. ALL the defenders looked suddenly much better when Zakaria was actually able to play. They (meaning Tuchel) counted on Kante playing that role OR Trevoh from what I understand.

It was t until we realized we were being led down the wrong path that we scrambled to fix that issue, but Zakaria has his own issues.

Trevoh can’t fill for Kante because the CBS are decimated and he’s needed there.

Its all falling Dominoes, and only time and squad adjustments can fix it.

The midfield is, and always was, the primary issue.

That and moving Kai on ….

ICB

Supports
Arsenal
Potter is a great manager, and his tactics suit modern football. His tactics alone are enough to get a team to play great and competitive football with the way football is played nowadays.

But, to play those sort of tactics require serious legs and players who are willing to stick to strict roles.

Their squad is lazy, and mostly are there only for money and/or think they’re better than they are and their arrogance makes them not bother.

Arteta had the same issue and it took him years to sort the stink out in the dressing room. Chelsea’s dressing room is much worse and they’ve made horrible buys. Have a clueless owner too.

The mess they’ve made would take years at a minimum to fix and that’s if they get lucky. Think they’re in for a rough ride.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
I think the break is coming at a good time for Potter.

I would say it looks an unsettled dressing room though and it speaks volumes the same bunch weren’t playing for Tuchel and got him sacked.

The issue Chelsea have is they are relying on a number of players who don’t actually want to be there anymore. Ziyech wanted to go to Ajax, Pulisic wanted out on loan or permanent deal, Kante and Jorginho are both going on frees in the summer and Aubamayang came in thinking he’d be playing each week under his friend Tuchel.

From the outside looking in you can see why things are getting messy.
The break is coming at an EXCELLENT time. The squad is a hodge podge, but that’s what we are building an internal structure to fix. This isn’t Roman. The rebuild doesn’t have to take a month of convincing half the players they should have total power, hyping them up for a run in, then repee we sting the flawed process all over.

Niemans asked how much money they had to spend? Lots really. As much as we need to. I think it was Boehly who invented an entireTV station early in his Dodgers run to show revenue they needed to bypass certain MLB restrictions. I’d have to look it up.

Point being: while many owners are “worth” Billions … they don’t HAVE billions immediately at their disposal . Clearlake was created as JUST a sports venture group. That 22 billion valuation of their worth is liquid…

They have armies of top accountants, sports finance people, and lawyers, including Boehly himself, who are dedicated to the project. We have pre-purchase agreements close to announcement for next summer on two signings already. Word is we are looking to sign 2 to 3 players in January. We are ready to throw down the 60 million, plus more to secure Endrick. Whether we can put that across the line, He and his entire family were at Cobham this last week, hosted by Thiago Silva, as they tried to get details for their plan for him worked out.

And in the liquid front … Everyone else is getting super frugal with cash. Most teams utilize banks and payment systems to secure deals. And with rates rising and inflation hitting, the pressure on borrowing for players AND on getting more and more cash up fro t for players being sold will increase, giving teams like Chelsea a further edge in the market.

It really is just a matter of whether they can truly have the patience in the “project” that they’ve said they will have. But since they have in their other ventures, I don’t see it imminently changing.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Potter is a great manager, and his tactics suit modern football. His tactics alone are enough to get a team to play great and competitive football with the way football is played nowadays.

But, to play those sort of tactics require serious legs and players who are willing to stick to strict roles.

Their squad is lazy, and mostly are there only for money and/or think they’re better than they are and their arrogance makes them not bother.

Arteta had the same issue and it took him years to sort the stink out in the dressing room. Chelsea’s dressing room is much worse and they’ve made horrible buys. Have a clueless owner too.

The mess they’ve made would take years at a minimum to fix and that’s if they get lucky. Think they’re in for a rough ride.
Firstly, can you call an owner clueless if he knows he doesn’t know much? He is putting that structure in place right now, a lot of effort is going into it, getting the right people to do the thinking for him. Honesty to me that seems quite the opposite.

What he walked into was a threadbare squad grossly affected by the sanctions put on the previous owner. It was literally Tuchel and Boehly running around getting players to fill the vacancies. There was not enough time for prolonged negotiations with quality targets at top teams. Clearly we overpaid for certain players and has too much faith in others, it’s unbalanced but for the most part, that could not be helped under the circumstances.

It is a bit of a mess but it’s not going to take as long as Arsenal to fix. We have some big people coming in with huge communications networks. We have plans to renovate the stadium long term. We have a good young manager who is tactically flexible. It’s going to be 2-3 years of shining shit but we will be back and we will be stronger than ever.

Right now we might look like United of last season but the reality is much different . We are not sticking to a old failed structure, we are demolishing it and building a new one, while trying to stay competitive. Unfortunately the playing staff are not doing their part.

There is way too much hyperbole and ignorant opinions surrounding the club even from its own “fans”. Honestly shows the intelligence levels. Patience is a virtue.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Hey just putting this out there as a potentially winning idea - imagine if you had a manager who had won, let's say, the second CL in your club's history, and who made it to, I don't know, every single cup final he was in charge of bar one? Maybe it'd be a good idea to empower and support that guy with a comprehensive overhaul of the decrepit and notoriously poor scouting department, instead of firing him because he didn't want to be involved in day-to-day transfer dealings and correctly felt like his time could be better spent coaching the players instead of the new owners.

Might be crazy talk though.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Hey just putting this out there as a potentially winning idea - imagine if you had a manager who had won, let's say, the second CL in your club's history, and who made it to, I don't know, every single cup final he was in charge of bar one? Maybe it'd be a good idea to empower and support that guy with a comprehensive overhaul of the decrepit and notoriously poor scouting department, instead of firing him because he didn't want to be involved in day-to-day transfer dealings and correctly felt like his time could be better spent coaching the players instead of the new owners.

Might be crazy talk though.
Well he didn't have an option, as the only football person left in the building was Tuchel. It was transitional window, so yeah in hindsight it would have been better to hold off on the spending until a sporting director was hired, but at the same time, there were gaping holes in the team that needed to be filled with the team losing losing several key players, and who was going to do that work with Marina and Cech gone? I understand his preferences of wanting to be left alone to coach the team, but in that situation I can understand how the friction between Tuchel and ownership could happen, when he was required to do a bit more than coaching for literally one summer window.

Personally, though I loved Tuchel, I don't have a real issue with his sacking because, if there was really friction between him and the owners then that would likely have just reared it's ugly head a later date if left to fester. Ripping the band aid off quickly was probably the right call.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Well he didn't have an option, as the only football person left in the building was Tuchel. It was transitional window, so yeah in hindsight it would have been better to hold off on the spending until a sporting director was hired, but at the same time, there were gaping holes in the team that needed to be filled with the team losing losing several key players, and who was going to do that work with Marina and Cech gone? I understand his preferences of wanting to be left alone to coach the team, but in that situation I can understand how the friction between Tuchel and ownership could happen, when he was required to do a bit more than coaching for literally one summer window.

Personally, though I loved Tuchel, I don't have a real issue with his sacking because, if there was really friction between him and the owners then that would likely have just reared it's ugly head a later date if left to fester. Ripping the band aid off quickly was probably the right call.
Tbh this Boehly guy looks like a shit Woodward and I'm not talking about transfers. It is very clear that he does lot of PR gimmicks and all of a sudden that Guardian journalist started to know in and out of club dealings.

I don't know why anyone believe it blindly, maybe we should hear Tuchel's side of the story. Doubt he will talk about that.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Tbh this Boehly guy looks like a shit Woodward and I'm not talking about transfers. It is very clear that he does lot of PR gimmicks and all of a sudden that Guardian journalist started to know in and out of club dealings.

I don't know why anyone believe it blindly, maybe we should hear Tuchel's side of the story. Doubt he will talk about that.
I mean it's not like Tuchel doesn't have his own PR people. I don't know where that stuff about Boehly drawing 443 on the board come from, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't leaked by Boehly himself. When he left Dortmund, there were journalist writing stories painting the Dortmund director as almost dictatorial and tyrannical just as there were journalists writing stories about what a difficult person Tuchel is to work with. This stuff goes both ways. It's PR warfare :lol:

TheReligion

Abusive

Didn’t Boehly fall out with Cech and Marina though over Lukaku?

Still don’t see why he couldn’t have arrived at the club with a plan and strategy from the start. Either rip it up and get going from the off or go with what recruitment you have for this window and gradually phase it out.

As it happened he just pussy footed about to the extent he even sacked Tuchel after the season started claiming they didn’t share the same vision.

I think whatever way you look at it Boehly hasn’t had a good start and it could have definitely been avoided.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I mean it's not like Tuchel doesn't have his own PR people. I don't know where that stuff about Boehly drawing 443 on the board come from, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't leaked by Boehly himself. When he left Dortmund, there were journalist writing stories painting the Dortmund director as almost dictatorial and tyrannical just as there were journalists writing stories about what a difficult person Tuchel is to work with. This stuff goes both ways. It's PR warfare :lol:
Exactly, it happens both sides. So it's odd to take these PR pieces as gospel to make arguments, apparently 'Well documented" too.

Results wasn't good enough and Tuchel is sacked, all this "he didn't want to involve in transfer" is all nicely planted by your owner.

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
They found their own version of Moyes. Similar background, owner giving him a lengthy contract for no apparent reason, the football looks dour and clueless, same depressing post match conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.